The SSJ5 General Thread: E3 happening but Ono doesn't Spirit Bomb

Comments

• Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,425
    Been playing for fun with my little brother recently in SFIV. Now while I do think V is superior, 4 has quite a few fun elements to it. And while these things do exist in V it's not quite to the same extent.

Landing Sagat trade DP to F+HK XX Ultra is just wow.

Footsie battles that you CAN compete in, like Fei Long vs Ryu for example. Not Karin vs Akuma. :(

Those weird hitbox interactions which make for unique combos.

I know they're not that fun, but seeing my little brother land F+HP XX Cr.Hp 1F with Ryu consistently after months of trying is nice.

But meh.
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,903
    TWINBLADES wrote: »
    They may be allot better in a new game but that doesn't really make the game bad.

What was even considered good in SF4?

4K? 8K?

Online ranking? Well BP (character linked) was essentially trash since it was hard to lose unless you lost a lot. PP typically 4k was good and 5k+ was top player....at least until all the good players stopped playing ranked. Then PP got inflated.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 7,296
    A10metal wrote: »
    FOOTSIES!

Beautiful

No wonder you play Mika :(
    SFV: Cammy/Kolin - And Probably Menat :P
    Tekken 7: Katarina Alves/Master Raven
    Rev 2: Elphelt
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in TWINBLADES is actually a lowercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,668
    The highest I ever managed in SF4 was 3800 PP and it was ironically when I played Thawk for about half a monyh instead of my actual mains. I usually hovered between arojnd 2800-3200 generally.

The rank system in both games always felt a little lackluster to me to be honest though. I liked Championship Mode from SF4, it rewarded win streaks and the numbers it spit out were stupidly huge so it felt like you were making real progress.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,490
    edited April 18
    ribu wrote: »
    Was looking to see how many trailers SF4 did for upcoming characters... And forgot about the godlike Hakan trailer they did:

dj always enjoyed the ride :D
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Andyyyyyyy!! Joined: Posts: 6,081
    edited April 18
    LoyalSol wrote: »
    They may be allot better in a new game but that doesn't really make the game bad.

What was even considered good in SF4?

4K? 8K?

Online ranking? Well BP (character linked) was essentially trash since it was hard to lose unless you lost a lot. PP typically 4k was good and 5k+ was top player....at least until all the good players stopped playing ranked. Then PP got inflated.

Things really got ruined when players started abusing that ridiculous Yun summer costume glitch to make their PP skyrocket. It was stupid.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy Marvel: Jill/Dante/Magneto
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,903
    The thing is there have been games I didn't like. SFxT was one of those games simply because I found it to be boring since offense was so weak in the game in Vanilla. But one thing I will say about the game is that at least the rules were consistent.

I still remember playing with @AceKombat in a SFxT doubles tournament and accidentally doing the "Woshigi" of popping off before the game was over in grand finals. (Yeah I did it before Woshigi made it cool #Hipster). It wasn't the worst game I ever played, it was just inferior to the games that were out at the time so I didn't want to put much time into it.

SF5 Season 1 I liked. That's why I'm thoroughly pissed at the game. I actually enjoyed and practised the hell out of S1. But now the risk/reward all over the place is just a mess. All Capcom really had to do was leave the S1 cast mostly alone and just buff the characters who had problems. Instead they nerfed the living shit out of several characters for no reason and then basically gave characters like Balrog all of the things S1 Ken had (High damage, gets in easily, combos have insane corner carry, etc.) without a lot of the downsides (Negative normals, stubby buttons, no 3 frame move, etc.)

There's just so many moves that are "just do it" where you can throw them out and hope they hit. It leads to incredibly irritating gameplay. Hell there are times I win and I'm still salty.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 I need a win button Joined: Posts: 20,596
    Edmund wrote: »
    By the way in my country, "playing with my little brother" means playing with my dick.

...so I'm not really an only child then? :pensive:
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed (maybe?)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    edited April 18
    Been playing for fun with my little brother recently in SFIV. Now while I do think V is superior, 4 has quite a few fun elements to it. And while these things do exist in V it's not quite to the same extent.

Landing Sagat trade DP to F+HK XX Ultra is just wow.

Footsie battles that you CAN compete in, like Fei Long vs Ryu for example. Not Karin vs Akuma. :(

Those weird hitbox interactions which make for unique combos.

I know they're not that fun, but seeing my little brother land F+HP XX Cr.Hp 1F with Ryu consistently after months of trying is nice.

But meh.

I don't find the ability to land a bnb consistently after months of practicing fun. I think I just really really dislike one frame links.

It just isn't very rewarding. I am a tekken player and tekken's just frames are a whole different story. They are very rewarding and the powered up just frame moves look nice.

By the way in my country, "playing with my little brother" means playing with my dick.

funny, in my country its "playing with my BIG brother" :coffee: :smokin:
    I'm genuinely surprised Capcom hasnt been putting out more costumes to be honest, I remember hearing costumes actually account for the majority of revenue this game pulls in so you'd think they'd be eager to milk the shit out of that considering the financial state they seem to be in concerning this game.
    edited April 18
    I'm genuinely surprised Capcom hasnt been putting out more costumes to be honest, I remember hearing costumes actually account for the majority of revenue this game pulls in so you'd think they'd be eager to milk the shit out of that considering the financial state they seem to be in concerning this game.

for a one year period we got already a shit tone of "premium" costumes....
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson SFV ID: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 293
    Looking forward to Birdie's shit tone costume.
  • ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 2,981
    edited April 18
    It can be really difficult to figure out those random ass players during my casual play online. 2 of 3 is generally not enough for me to learn their tendencies when those chars can end you in 2-3 guesses. I find it hard to stop retard play in this game.

The more I come across them the easier it becomes to deal with them.
  • Dime_xDime_x Wasting time Joined: Posts: 9,741
    Also I don't necessarily think sf5 has no redeeming qualities or is an intrinsically bad game. I just think the design decisions and goals aren't the greatest.

There are a ton of things though that I do think were good additions to the game:

Input buffers
    Crush counters
    No crouch tech
    No proximity normals
    Divekick attacks got given huge hurt boxes to make them easier to deal with, while also having much less advantage on block to mostly being negative on block.

But with all these good design decisions in my eyes they put even more bad design decisions in like universally unsafe sweeps, and huge pushback on most weak attacks and very few weak to medium links without CH.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    appomo wrote: »

Well yeah but the train seems to have stopped heading into S2. Which appears to be true for most aspecta of development but eh
  • Angerfist62Angerfist62 Joined: Posts: 782
    They can't even release three costumes and one stage (dressed Chun, SF3 Alex, SF3 Ibuki, Thailand) after 8 months, I'm not surprised they don't try to abuse the system.

Well yeah but the train seems to have stopped heading into S2. Which appears to be true for most aspecta of development but eh

we will get new halloween / cpt / christmass packs and costumes, some nostalgia and most likely some new swimsuit ones...so actually the same like last year but for other chars.
  • NupoChromineNupoChromine Art By: Matthew Griffin Joined: Posts: 3,843
    They didn't say the 3s costumes were coming with Bison's stage, right? Still MIA?
    Within the dream, he stayed.

"Some garbage is okay." - Safety Stegosaurus
    During the Cavs/Pacers playoff game, Marv Albert said he wasn't sure if Ryu or Guile was the best character after highlighting the Street Fighter V invitational. Lol, SF is big time.
  • Angerfist62Angerfist62 Joined: Posts: 782
    They didn't say the 3s costumes were coming with Bison's stage, right? Still MIA?

Yup. They announced three new costumes (Juri, Ryu and of course Chun) and the launch of the thailand stage at the end of the month. Nothing else.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,401
    edited April 18
    It just isn't very rewarding. I am a tekken player and tekken's just frames are a whole different story. They are very rewarding and the powered up just frame moves look nice.

It's subjective, I think. Everyone I know who plays Mishimas can EWGF consistently, effectively making the move's just-frame properties a non-factor. I haven't made an in-game decision that was affected by the possibility of my opponent missing an EWGF since TT1. I feel that just-frames now exist solely to discourage newbies from taking Tekken seriously. Some years ago I took the time to learn JFSR, but didn't really feel rewarded. It was basically like Dizzy's FRC Spike. Frustrating before I learned it, boring after I figured it out.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 4,883

Tecmo Koei begs to differ.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 7,296
    edited April 18

Still MIA

Put your lighters up for Alex mains.
    SFV: Cammy/Kolin - And Probably Menat :P
    Tekken 7: Katarina Alves/Master Raven
    Rev 2: Elphelt
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in TWINBLADES is actually a lowercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465
    I miss different neutral jump and forward/back jumping buttons. No more godlike shit like the Sakura Heisman or Makoto nj.mp makes me sad.
  • QuarkQuark Joined: Posts: 3,985
    edited April 18
    I miss different neutral jump and forward/back jumping buttons. No more godlike shit like the Sakura Heisman or Makoto nj.mp makes me sad.

a few characters still have unique neutral jump attacks. nash and chun off the top of my head.
    "Please understand, I never had a secret chart
    To get me to the heart of this or any other matter"
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 I need a win button Joined: Posts: 20,596
    Quark wrote: »

a few characters still have unique neutral jump attacks. nash and chun off the top of my head.

Only Nash and Chun, and only their j.hks.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed (maybe?)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    I miss close normals.
  • EdmundEdmund Cammy <3 Joined: Posts: 571

The Fuck is Capcom doing writing a blog post on usf 2 instead of telling us the exact date when the April patch is coming and a trailer of the new dlc.
  • ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 2,981
    It depends. I really did not like Seth proximity buttons for st.lp(easy to make this thing whiff during combos on short characters) and st.fp (it was a great AA and combo button, but if you were a pixel off you sometimes got fucking -13 stretch arms) otherwise the rest were fine.
  • CriminalUpperCriminalUpper =D Joined: Posts: 2,962
    ukyo_rulz wrote: »

It's subjective, I think. Everyone I know who plays Mishimas can EWGF consistently, effectively making the move's just-frame properties a non-factor. I haven't made an in-game decision that was affected by the possibility of my opponent missing an EWGF since TT1. I feel that just-frames now exist solely to discourage newbies from taking Tekken seriously. Some years ago I took the time to learn JFSR, but didn't really feel rewarded. It was basically like Dizzy's FRC Spike. Frustrating before I learned it, boring after I figured it out.

There are so many different types of EWGFs with varying difficulty though. I can execute EWGF consistently, but getting me to execute every kind I need in a match is a different level altogether.

I personally think those execution barriers that give you access to flashier move variations can draw players towards the game. I know of many players that got into the game based on EWGF alone. My cousin doesn't play fighters seriously, but I watched him spend a whole weekend learning EWGF and only ever plays Tekken nowadays to use Mishimas.
  • VhoziteVhozite The King of Hearts Joined: Posts: 2,249
    edited April 18
    I wonder if people are blinded by their rage over the "lack" of OS and 1f links to see that there's plenty to learn?

Maybe it's because I'm new but I don't see how this game lacks any sort of reward.

Unless you mean grinding out 1f links to some unoptimimal combo because muh style.

I just wanna play the fucking game and win lol

Are you memeing or being unintentionally dense?
  • riburibu EX Swirl Tackle Joined: Posts: 2,142

Was going to make an account to say how fucking stupid that was...but the registration page wouldn't load right so nvm
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    T7:Katarina,Bob. Xrd:Jack-o.I2:Superman,Black Adam.
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC
    People are gonna play USF2 cause its the first version of the game with a real online leaderboard to my knowledge. The HD Remix one was wack as hell.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,385
    People are gonna play USF2 cause its the first version of the game with a real online leaderboard to my knowledge. The HD Remix one was wack as hell.

Then again, it's also the first version that is 100% wifi
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • RAW_GutsRAW_Guts Joined: Posts: 654
    I miss close normals.

If Ryu can't do Axe Kick in neutral then the game is whack, yo.
  • YorKeYYorKeY stripped silk dreams Joined: Posts: 6,206
    eh the first two SFV general threads were fun, the one that just happened I barely had any part of, can't say I was connected to it at all.

The first ever USF4 general lounge was fucking fun though!
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: No one and everyone
    MvC Infinite: ????
    Currently playing:

This discussion has been closed.