The SSJ5 General Thread: E3 happening but Ono doesn't Spirit Bomb

Comments

• LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,535
    The normals SF deserves, but not the ones it needs right now.

QB0CIeo.png
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,627
    TWINBLADES wrote: »
    FOOTSIES!

I would have lit a stadium on fire if I had to deal with that for seven years.

But what about Laura and Ibuki?
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
  • LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,905
    FOOTSIES!

I would have lit a stadium on fire if I had to deal with that for seven years.

That's what a character who could allow bad players to beat good players looked like.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,230
    Completely unrelated to SFV (which is IMO a good thing at this point) but god bless the British:
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 8,943
    I wonder if people are blinded by their rage over the "lack" of OS and 1f links to see that there's plenty to learn?

Maybe it's because I'm new but I don't see how this game lacks any sort of reward.

Unless you mean grinding out 1f links to some unoptimimal combo because muh style.

I just wanna play the fucking game and win lol

SFV: Cammy/Kolin (WHEN MY GIRL GETTING A NEW OUTFIT CC!?!)/Karin (Menat too hard fuc dat bich)
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in TWINBLADES is actually a lowercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465
  • pootnanniespootnannies mr. negative Joined: Posts: 3,121
    i saw someone posting about how they don't see SFV as "reckless play". well when you have really bad defensive options, short normals, and hardly any pushback... yes you can be incredibly reckless. reckless doesn't mean more creative options though. that's up to the developers. you only really have a few options for meaties or setups and that's that. short normals and tons of ways around fireballs = rushdown city. hey your hard kick or punch was blocked? no problem, most characters can't punish it or it's actually plus on block. hey that special that takes you across the screen got blocked? no worries bro it's -2 or +2 on block.

reckless in SFV now means something different in comparison to other SF games. in SF4 you could be reckless with your defensive options. in 5 it's the opposite.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

psn: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    CFN: JawnPolygon
    I agree with Loyalsol on the "harder to figure out a bad player" thing. When the percentage of dumb low risk high reward moves being quite high it's really hard to decipher if you're playing someone that knows or doesn't know the game well. It's just like what I was saying about online habits, it's very hard to figure out if they are deliberately playing one way because of the environment or if they genuinely don't know.

I played a set with a Bison player and it took me until about the 4th or 5th game to figure out he didn't know frame data and was taking massive risks continually because I thought he might have just been out reading me a lot - nope - he was just bad and after my conversation he straight up said to me the only way to win is to be random and that SF5 has no footsies so there's no point.

From a personal standpoint too, I know people from SF4 that you would classify as low level ( extremely bad fundamentals and more guess based - blocked special move - Ultra type thing) that are all of a sudden a lot better in SF5. Illitirate had a really good post on this, I'll see if I can dig it out.

I mean Capcoms own design team even said the point of SF5 was to narrow the skill gap. That's the design goal of the game.

They may be allot better in a new game but that doesn't really make the game bad.

What was even considered good in SF4?

4K? 8K?

SFV: Cammy/Kolin (WHEN MY GIRL GETTING A NEW OUTFIT CC!?!)/Karin (Menat too hard fuc dat bich)
  • A10metalA10metal Joined: Posts: 2,301
    FOOTSIES!

Beautiful
  • Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,702
    As an addendum, people shit on SF4 XBL (and rightfully so in many aspects) but the extreme ease of use it offered in terms of messaging, chatting and adding friends, and sending invites did a lot to foster a community, as haphazard as it might have been. I feel like SFV is more of a collection of individuals floating around and drifitng into each other randomly.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,627
    Been playing for fun with my little brother recently in SFIV. Now while I do think V is superior, 4 has quite a few fun elements to it. And while these things do exist in V it's not quite to the same extent.

Landing Sagat trade DP to F+HK XX Ultra is just wow.

Footsie battles that you CAN compete in, like Fei Long vs Ryu for example. Not Karin vs Akuma. :(

Those weird hitbox interactions which make for unique combos.

I know they're not that fun, but seeing my little brother land F+HP XX Cr.Hp 1F with Ryu consistently after months of trying is nice.

But meh.
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    They may be allot better in a new game but that doesn't really make the game bad.

4K? 8K?

Online ranking? Well BP (character linked) was essentially trash since it was hard to lose unless you lost a lot. PP typically 4k was good and 5k+ was top player....at least until all the good players stopped playing ranked. Then PP got inflated.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
    A10metal wrote: »
    FOOTSIES!

Beautiful

No wonder you play Mika :(
    The highest I ever managed in SF4 was 3800 PP and it was ironically when I played Thawk for about half a monyh instead of my actual mains. I usually hovered between arojnd 2800-3200 generally.

The rank system in both games always felt a little lackluster to me to be honest though. I liked Championship Mode from SF4, it rewarded win streaks and the numbers it spit out were stupidly huge so it felt like you were making real progress.
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,123
    edited April 18
    ribu wrote: »
    Was looking to see how many trailers SF4 did for upcoming characters... And forgot about the godlike Hakan trailer they did:

dj always enjoyed the ride :D
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Giving your waifu the pipeu Joined: Posts: 7,020
    edited April 18
    LoyalSol wrote: »

4K? 8K?

Online ranking? Well BP (character linked) was essentially trash since it was hard to lose unless you lost a lot. PP typically 4k was good and 5k+ was top player....at least until all the good players stopped playing ranked. Then PP got inflated.

Things really got ruined when players started abusing that ridiculous Yun summer costume glitch to make their PP skyrocket. It was stupid.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy Marvel: Jill/Dante/Magneto
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
    The thing is there have been games I didn't like. SFxT was one of those games simply because I found it to be boring since offense was so weak in the game in Vanilla. But one thing I will say about the game is that at least the rules were consistent.

I still remember playing with @AceKombat in a SFxT doubles tournament and accidentally doing the "Woshigi" of popping off before the game was over in grand finals. (Yeah I did it before Woshigi made it cool #Hipster). It wasn't the worst game I ever played, it was just inferior to the games that were out at the time so I didn't want to put much time into it.

SF5 Season 1 I liked. That's why I'm thoroughly pissed at the game. I actually enjoyed and practised the hell out of S1. But now the risk/reward all over the place is just a mess. All Capcom really had to do was leave the S1 cast mostly alone and just buff the characters who had problems. Instead they nerfed the living shit out of several characters for no reason and then basically gave characters like Balrog all of the things S1 Ken had (High damage, gets in easily, combos have insane corner carry, etc.) without a lot of the downsides (Negative normals, stubby buttons, no 3 frame move, etc.)

There's just so many moves that are "just do it" where you can throw them out and hope they hit. It leads to incredibly irritating gameplay. Hell there are times I win and I'm still salty.
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,535
    Edmund wrote: »
    By the way in my country, "playing with my little brother" means playing with my dick.

...so I'm not really an only child then? :pensive:
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    edited April 18
    Been playing for fun with my little brother recently in SFIV. Now while I do think V is superior, 4 has quite a few fun elements to it. And while these things do exist in V it's not quite to the same extent.

Landing Sagat trade DP to F+HK XX Ultra is just wow.

Footsie battles that you CAN compete in, like Fei Long vs Ryu for example. Not Karin vs Akuma. :(

Those weird hitbox interactions which make for unique combos.

I know they're not that fun, but seeing my little brother land F+HP XX Cr.Hp 1F with Ryu consistently after months of trying is nice.

But meh.

I don't find the ability to land a bnb consistently after months of practicing fun. I think I just really really dislike one frame links.

It just isn't very rewarding. I am a tekken player and tekken's just frames are a whole different story. They are very rewarding and the powered up just frame moves look nice.

By the way in my country, "playing with my little brother" means playing with my dick.

funny, in my country its "playing with my BIG brother" :coffee: :smokin:
    I'm genuinely surprised Capcom hasnt been putting out more costumes to be honest, I remember hearing costumes actually account for the majority of revenue this game pulls in so you'd think they'd be eager to milk the shit out of that considering the financial state they seem to be in concerning this game.
    edited April 18
    I'm genuinely surprised Capcom hasnt been putting out more costumes to be honest, I remember hearing costumes actually account for the majority of revenue this game pulls in so you'd think they'd be eager to milk the shit out of that considering the financial state they seem to be in concerning this game.

for a one year period we got already a shit tone of "premium" costumes....
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson CFN: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 1,092
    Looking forward to Birdie's shit tone costume.
  • ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 2,987
    edited April 18
    It can be really difficult to figure out those random ass players during my casual play online. 2 of 3 is generally not enough for me to learn their tendencies when those chars can end you in 2-3 guesses. I find it hard to stop retard play in this game.

The more I come across them the easier it becomes to deal with them.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,492
    Also I don't necessarily think sf5 has no redeeming qualities or is an intrinsically bad game. I just think the design decisions and goals aren't the greatest.

There are a ton of things though that I do think were good additions to the game:

Input buffers
    Crush counters
    No crouch tech
    No proximity normals
    Divekick attacks got given huge hurt boxes to make them easier to deal with, while also having much less advantage on block to mostly being negative on block.

But with all these good design decisions in my eyes they put even more bad design decisions in like universally unsafe sweeps, and huge pushback on most weak attacks and very few weak to medium links without CH.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    appomo wrote: »

Well yeah but the train seems to have stopped heading into S2. Which appears to be true for most aspecta of development but eh
  • Angerfist62Angerfist62 Joined: Posts: 879
    They can't even release three costumes and one stage (dressed Chun, SF3 Alex, SF3 Ibuki, Thailand) after 8 months, I'm not surprised they don't try to abuse the system.
    "Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters"

Well yeah but the train seems to have stopped heading into S2. Which appears to be true for most aspecta of development but eh

we will get new halloween / cpt / christmass packs and costumes, some nostalgia and most likely some new swimsuit ones...so actually the same like last year but for other chars.
  • NupoChromineNupoChromine Art By: Matthew Griffin Joined: Posts: 4,542
    They didn't say the 3s costumes were coming with Bison's stage, right? Still MIA?
    What is like $2500 a month?
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Giving your waifu the pipeu Joined: Posts: 7,020
    During the Cavs/Pacers playoff game, Marv Albert said he wasn't sure if Ryu or Guile was the best character after highlighting the Street Fighter V invitational. Lol, SF is big time.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy Marvel: Jill/Dante/Magneto
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
  • Angerfist62Angerfist62 Joined: Posts: 879
    They didn't say the 3s costumes were coming with Bison's stage, right? Still MIA?

Yup. They announced three new costumes (Juri, Ryu and of course Chun) and the launch of the thailand stage at the end of the month. Nothing else.
    "Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters"
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 4,481
    edited April 18
    It just isn't very rewarding. I am a tekken player and tekken's just frames are a whole different story. They are very rewarding and the powered up just frame moves look nice.

It's subjective, I think. Everyone I know who plays Mishimas can EWGF consistently, effectively making the move's just-frame properties a non-factor. I haven't made an in-game decision that was affected by the possibility of my opponent missing an EWGF since TT1. I feel that just-frames now exist solely to discourage newbies from taking Tekken seriously. Some years ago I took the time to learn JFSR, but didn't really feel rewarded. It was basically like Dizzy's FRC Spike. Frustrating before I learned it, boring after I figured it out.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,230

Tecmo Koei begs to differ.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
This discussion has been closed.