The SSJ5 General Thread: E3 happening but Ono doesn't Spirit Bomb

Comments

• MochaLatteMochaLatte Joined: Posts: 1,111
    twocoins wrote: »
    Ed's fun and all, but he doesn't have the makings of a top tier character. He can't outpoke anyone with better footsies and his projectile and v-skill is too slow to be used for spacing. You have to be pretty close to confirm his BNB. Great anti airs. Just seems like he wont have the the strong shenanigans of lose in 2 wrong guesses going for him imo.

Lost interest as soon as I couldn't find a decent counterpoking game, canceled normals into specials whiff too much. Didn't experiment with the hundred hand slap move, cuz i'm a pleb.
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,547
    edited May 12
    Finally got the chance to try out Ed for a bit. I hadn't watched anything aside from the trailer and tuned in a bit for the CapcomUnity stream yesterday/
    I assumed pressing different combinations of buttons would give me different strengths of the special, such as lp+mp = light, lp+hp=medium, mp+hp=heavy, which is not the case.
    I assumed psycho hold special was like Cody and Birdie, but it's simply charging the attack and it'll come eventually.
    I assumed the last input of the 5 required inputs for the psycho flicker special would decide its strength, which isn't the case, it's literally mashing it and always the same strength.

He can combo his lights into either psycho flicker or psycho rising but it's so inconsistent. Can't use cr.lk as it's pushback makes everything whiff atleast on standing characters. Haven't tried on crouchers though.
    I see no reason to ever go into psycho flicker to be honest, seems like a waste of a special, zero range and you can use psycho rising instead.

st.lk is the 3f normal i think.

Cr.mk seems to be the normal that gives a bit more range to specials. I don't see what he would do for buffering specials in neutral though and still be able to combo, aside from CA, that alone makes me not want to play him anymore and not having different strength specials either(aside from f.mp+ appropriate button).

Probably late to the party or whatever though.

GGXrdR2: Baiken
    MVCI: Captain Marvel & Jedah
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri, Zeku???
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,984
    Ed can't cancel from standing mediums and heavies. It sucks so much.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • ZenisideZeniside Joined: Posts: 2,987
    edited May 12
    My problem with ed is the mash move input and the fact that his specials easily whiff. Only real option is CA cancel off max range normal buttons which makes his counter-poking weak as it barely leads to anything.

I am having some fun with him otherwise.
    edited May 12
    Ed will most likely play mainly around his fireball feints making people jump where he'll use his good anti airs to get most of his damage, until he gets the knockdown.
    VT, V-Skill and psycho hold "to just throw out" in neutral combined with fireball feints and dashes, and a good AA game. Seems like mainly a space control character to me.

My 15 min opinion

• BornWinnerBornWinner Loses more than the name implies Joined: Posts: 135
    I just double stunned an Akuma and was working on a perfect. When I was going to use the super to kill, he disconnected. Probably the worst experience I had with this game so far. It's been good otherwise.
    GG: Ram, Faust
    Tekken: Yoshimitsu
    Inj: Cold, Brainiac
    SG: Maybe Squigly and Beowulf
    Whenever I get SFV: Rashid, FANG
    edited May 12
    I knew I was getting decent + block off meaty f+mp setups as Ed.

f+mp is -3 on block at worst with 8 active frames. The fireball follow-up is -4/+4 and EX is +8 on block.
    I figured V-skill was -2 with held V-skill +3
    EX PP is 16 start-up which is ass, but it has 18 invulnerability frames.
    KK is apparently 12 frame start-up frame 2-9 projectile invincible and frame 10-14 invincible to all
    FP(Hold) is -20 (probably wrong)
    Post edited by Zeniside on
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    BornWinner wrote: »
    I just double stunned an Akuma and was working on a perfect. When I was going to use the super to kill, he disconnected. Probably the worst experience I had with this game so far. It's been good otherwise.

The ragequit icons should be working now, right? Wonder if anyone is going to manage to 'unlock' it during the beta already.
  • BornWinnerBornWinner Loses more than the name implies Joined: Posts: 135
    I ranked up! I will be up to Twinblades level in no time!
    GG: Ram, Faust
    Tekken: Yoshimitsu
    Inj: Cold, Brainiac
    SG: Maybe Squigly and Beowulf
    Whenever I get SFV: Rashid, FANG
  • bisonatorbisonator Joined: Posts: 616
    edited May 12
    @Daemos

How hard is your dick crushing all these Eds?

*edit

I feel like the urotsukidōji chōjin bum fucking these poor wretches.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,043
    After Capcom sorted out their act, i had some games with some friends on San Francisco and Germany, and the connections were actually really good. Remember i am in Honduras, the country that is at the center of the American continent, with my friend on San Fran was excellent and while with my friend on Germany had its hiccups, i think that once i change m ISP it will way better.
    So i have to give props to them for actually improving for once :tup:

Now, lets see how in the end they still dissapoint me by fucking up by the release time.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,043
    Gamogo wrote: »
    - Rights to game still owned by Capcom
    - No region filter
    - Lobby connection quality indicators when searching rarely, if ever render
    - Load times still hilarious, even with TA fix. Worse still against console vermin.
    - Needless fade-to-white transition screen still in effect
    - Janky and stilted animation still rife among 'new' moves and additions to existing cast
    - Ed's half baked Omega Mode-esque animations and moveset as a whole
    - Ken and Ibuki's ghastly mugs
    - Model clipping all over the place
    - Awful UI and overall presentation
    - Grammatical errors remain among Akuma's win-quotes

Two years.

Yep, it's a beta all right. Lucky for us the final version will blow us away, right?

tnpMOvo.gif
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • legitbosslegitboss SF5 > SF4 Joined: Posts: 344
    I've had like 40+ games in the beta and only got a laggy match once. I gotta give props to Capcom here, it feels different, even the loading. I couldn't log in at first which seemed like a universal issue but after that was fixed, I had no issues at all. Almost felt like I was in another dimension seeing this game run so flawlessly. One thing though is I'm in NYC and at some point I got matched up with mostly Canadians and Brits (no lag at all though).
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,409
    Zeniside wrote: »
    Ed looks retarded as shit. His normals have the weirdest hitboxes and his AAs cover the dumbest angles ever.
    Also his st. MK, on top of being a good AA, is +3 on hit and either +1 or +2 on block.
    I can't wait to get the full frame data.

74181b03e2.png

Why the fuck is this nigga plus on everything
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • legitbosslegitboss SF5 > SF4 Joined: Posts: 344
    ^ he is the fun character this game needed. Make everyone else just as dumb and I'll never play another fighting game until SF6
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,519
    Why couldn't the beta have training mode, I really wanna try Ed :cry:

Oh well...just gotta suffer through one more 10 hour day and then it's the weekend! Plenty of time.

The talk of poor mid-range conversions is a bit concerning but if his fireball game + anti-airs is as good as people are saying then that shouldn't be a problem. Just play a patient game mid-range and then go ham on 'em. I'm sure the occasional st.hp crush counter will work out too. :)
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    edited May 12
    His fireball game is quite decent if you are able to time your f+mp to negate their fireball then chuck yours with the follow-up. f+mp feints to get jumps and f+mp can AA far jumps well enough.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,409
    mowr wrote: »
    Let's review,

Ed has:
    • 1000 health
    • Good walk speed
    • Season 1 Nash forward dash
    • Reliable anti-airs
    • Frame 1 invincible reversal
    • 3 frame normal
    • Useful v-skill
    • Pressure
    • V-reversal that does something
    • A fucking fireball
    • A fucking fireball feint

Alex has:
    • 25 more health
    • None of the other things

Ed is the Ryu this game needed to have in the first place
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • NoChartNoChart Some say it's vanity, some say it's charm. Joined: Posts: 926
    The problem with making the beta free is the ragequitting. People love free games, but really don't like losing.
    Steam ID: NoChart
  • giant_ratgiant_rat Joined: Posts: 105
    has anybody tried walking forward slightly after st mp to deal with the special whiffing problem? its gotta be +9 for a reason fam...

oh and catchin jaws with his st hp is hella satisfying
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,468
    Why couldn't the beta have training mode, I really wanna try Ed :cry:

Really? I'm playing him in training mode in the regular game right now ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Hawkeye/Thanos (Space?)

• bisonatorbisonator Joined: Posts: 616

A lot of mp, crouch mp?, up kick/EX followup, v skill air grab.

Not much use of flicker punch or charged HP. He uses charged HP to get out of the corner once. Looks useful.
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    Damn his animations are solid. Just look at how he gets up after the first round.

Maybe Season 2 is back on track.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,218 mod
    ZioSerpe wrote: »
    Who is infiltration gonna play?

Ed

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,075 mod
    Froztey wrote: »
    Only thing Ed lacks is the ability to convert from max distance pokes, his specials on cancel whiff if done from max distance

What a bummer, dude

Did I say it made him bad >:c?!
    SFV - I drop everyone after a week
    Sometimes I upload stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtQESJOpYAW3RQ_ag9q9T_g
    edited May 12
    Only thing Ed lacks is the ability to convert from max distance pokes, his specials on cancel whiff if done from max distance

What a bummer, dude

Nah, that's the point. Sarcastic way of agreeing with you essentially.

TBH his weaknesses don't do anything but balance him from being better than top 5 automatically without any lab work. With lab work...we'll see. If you don't count his "weaknesses" his neutral game alone shits on even Chun Lis when that's one of her only main strengths in 2/2.1 now. Just as a perspective.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• QuixoticNeutralQuixoticNeutral Joined: Posts: 1,190
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ed would have been better off staying as a teen from his storymode?

I mean it makes sense that he's still a brat after his growth spurt, but that personality seems way more fitting with a teen appearance and not kind of jarring as of now.
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 9,075 mod

What a bummer, dude

Nah, that's the point. Sarcastic way of agreeing with you essentially.

TBH his weaknesses don't do anything but balance him from being better than top 5 automatically without any lab work. With lab work...we'll see.

When it comes to just neutral I heavily enliken him to Ryu, their buttons have incredibly similar purposes.

The only midrange button he has is st.hp buts it's -2 and CC's on hit so...
    SFV - I drop everyone after a week
    Sometimes I upload stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtQESJOpYAW3RQ_ag9q9T_g
    Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ed would have been better off staying as a teen from his storymode?

I mean it makes sense that he's still a brat after his growth spurt, but that personality seems way more fitting with a teen appearance and not kind of jarring as of now.

Well I think fighting game lore is stupid in general, but I would say it makes sense that someone who aged quickly would still have a rambunctious, energetic personality.

edited May 12
    This Juri player lol

I'm a fan!

edited May 12
    bisonator wrote: »

A lot of mp, crouch mp?, up kick/EX followup, v skill air grab.

Not much use of flicker punch or charged HP. He uses charged HP to get out of the corner once. Looks useful.

Flicker punch is not that good as there are better options. It is decent after a st.mp if you are too far to combo cr.mk or cr.fp into a cancel. charged FP is unfortunately ass on block, but this could be wrong.

CH cr.mp to st.mp is not a great option because st.mp can't be cancelled and it pushes you too far out to finish a combo into 2P or 2K so might as well flicker. I think CH cr.mp > cr.mp xx 2P/2K will be better than going into st.mp.
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,647
    So the beta is 8 gig aswell? Is this a fucking joke?

It's the same everytime it seems like

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,468
    edited May 12

It's the full game, what did you expect?
    charged FP is unfortunately ass on block.

-2 actually. Just saw it with Frame Trapped.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Hawkeye/Thanos (Space?)

It's the full game, what did you expect?
    charged FP is unfortunately ass on block.

-2 actually. Just saw it with Frame Trapped.

I guess the data I saw was wrong about it.
This discussion has been closed.