The SSJ5 General Thread: E3 happening but Ono doesn't Spirit Bomb

Comments

• MarLonLonMilkMarLonLonMilk Kid Canada. Joined: Posts: 2,157
    purbeast wrote: »
    bisonator wrote: »
    SFV's menus are awful. I took graphics in my final year at high school and could do a better job. There's no charm to them. Fuck me, I could do a better job on pics art on my phone hungover from my sofa.

When you fire up CvSnK 2 its like walking in to an arcade. It assaults your senses. Every other SF game has its own charm and flavour. They evoke a bit of nostalgia. IN-DEE-STRUCTABLE, come on, you guys know you love that now.

In five years I can't see me looking back on booting up SFV and getting a sense of the game. My memery of booting up SFV will be... Applying patch. Go for a piss while the game actually loads. Shitty world background. Ken's character selection face.

The UX in this game is abysmal. It's the worst of the worst. There is absolutely no flow to their main menu "grid" system at all, with different sound effects even when moving onto different options. It's one of those things you would show if you were teaching a UX 101 class in college and were telling the new UX students what to never ever do.

I almost failed one of my first year (might have been second?) assignments because my menus/navigation "had no life" to them and didn't match the rest of the work.

I remember being young, angry and stupid thinking that it was a stupid reason to take off marks because the rest of the website met the criteria, but boy oh boy does the SFV UI prove my prof right with each passing day. Wish I could show it to my younger self a few years back lol.
    PSN & CFN: marlonlonmilk_
    NNID: MarLonLonMilk

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaKeJSqQXVDwZCmU7av5CA
  • Trife88Trife88 F R A U D G O D Joined: Posts: 6,913
    We'll get some new UI images in the next update...we should see a performance increase due to this
    SF4 > SFV
  • crash_and_burncrash_and_burn "Do I drive? Or am I driven?" Joined: Posts: 2,879
    TWINBLADES wrote: »

Fucking Kek I saw this on stream when I was eating cereal. I almost spit it out my mouth. I was like daaaaaaaamn. I know Yipes felt some type a way about that lol

Best post on this thread in days! Lmfao
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,715
    edited May 19

Fucking Kek I saw this on stream when I was eating cereal. I almost spit it out my mouth. I was like daaaaaaaamn. I know Yipes felt some type a way about that lol

Best post on this thread in days! Lmfao

They gotta ft10 on stream on release day.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 7,829
    Curtesy of the video game General thread:

BeahahahahahahahahahHa

This guy great lol
    SFV: Cammy/Kolin - And Probably Menat :P
    Tekken 7: Katarina Alves/Master Raven
    Rev 2: Elphelt
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in TWINBLADES is actually a lowercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 446
    edited May 19

They are doing everything right - music from all games with option to make custom lists, CGI from all games, legacy costumes, good story mode...even selectable health bars.
    I am just worried that netcode will be crap.

I watched Aris playing Injustice 2 yesterday and I was dying when he figured out that 154 seconds are left until the end of the match :D
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,715
    Curtesy of the video game General thread:

BeahahahahahahahahahHa

This guy great lol

"Did you see that??? She opened her mouth and I put a fucking bullet in it"

Lol
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 PRAISED BEEF Joined: Posts: 54,522 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 19
    I know what my problem is with injustice.

It's plenty fun but I feel like you have to fight the game to control the character... and when you do get control, the character does shit you can't control. I couldn't figure it out until I was reading an exchange between moons and shine on twitter...

"Controlling your character is like riding a mechanical bull"

That pretty much sums up my experience so far. MKX didn't feel like this... neither did older mk games. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. But I'm enjoying learning a new fighting game. There has to be a reason why I immediately boot up marvel after every IJ2 session.

Not throwing shade or anything. Just if you are new to injustice like I am giving you some insight on what it feels like.

MKX controls already felt messy and restrictive so definitely not going to bother with something potentially worse

ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay

• wedlwedl Joined: Posts: 52
    shinbojan wrote: »

They are doing everything right - music from all games with option to make custom lists, CGI from all games, legacy costumes, good story mode...even selectable health bars.

I watched Aris playing Injustice 2 yesterday and I was dying when he figured out that 154 seconds are left until the end of the match :D

Tag 2's netcode was excellent so I have very high hopes for 7's online.
    Marvel 3: Viper/Morrigan/Strider
    Tekken 7: Asuka/Panda/Gokui
    SFV: Boxer/Laura/Mika/Gief
    GGXRD: Jam/I-No/Baiken
    KoF: Kula/King/Athena
    SC2/SCV: Ivy
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,707
    edited May 19
    btw

Road to King of Iron Fist Documentary
    skip to 11:40
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/144429520
    Namco has been using netcode tricks since like Soul Calbur 4 to hide the lag so it'll most likely feel/look nice.

ANIME IS DA WAY.  Anime EVO Takeover 2018.  No more CAPCPOM!  There will be oki and there will be setplay

• CHNchilla89CHNchilla89 Joined: Posts: 964
    wedl wrote: »
    shinbojan wrote: »

Tag 2's netcode was excellent so I have very high hopes for 7's online.

For the record, TTT2's netcode was good because they used a similar input delay system to the one that SFV uses now. That being said, it does make more sense in a game like Tekken because move startup is much longer.
    He told me my story was cool.

Then he called me bro
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 21,818 mod
    Pertho wrote: »
    Every time Cammy's cr.mk whiffs right through an opponent's leg I cry a little inside.

Save me Ed! Save me from purposefully gimped hitboxes! :cry:

Remember when I said this and you were all like "well its the longest one in the game, get better scrub."

:coffee:

I still stand by what I said!

It's more that, despite being one of the longest cr.mks, it still manages to look gimped. I just underestimated how annoying that can be visual-wise :rofl:

Told you about that too, you nut!

Wait til you start feeling the top tierness of combos dropping because cr.mk goes through people's legs while they are in hit stun.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,707
    they even made a german version of the trailer

:D
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,723
    IFC Yipes is labbing Injustice 2

ISDD is playing rank in Injustice 2 on twitch. I like watching because his salt makes me feel better when I lose lol.
    You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve
  • BMsirhc1313BMsirhc1313 I'm 0ld Joined: Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This is a good time to have "Off topic" button.
    edited May 19

It's plenty fun but I feel like you have to fight the game to control the character... and when you do get control, the character does shit you can't control. I couldn't figure it out until I was reading an exchange between moons and shine on twitter...

That pretty much sums up my experience so far. MKX didn't feel like this... neither did older mk games. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. But I'm enjoying learning a new fighting game. There has to be a reason why I immediately boot up marvel after every IJ2 session.

Not throwing shade or anything. Just if you are new to injustice like I am giving you some insight on what it feels like.

MKX controls already felt messy and restrictive so definitely not going to bother with something potentially worse

I'll do a write up about how it feels compared to marvels Thor and SFV akuma since I did long session with both immediately after I played IJ2

It's weird because everyone feels like a 500 pound gorilla when jumping... except for the 500 pound gorilla.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,728
    KOF14 engine is fun and surprisingly easy to control. 720s are even easier than in SFV.
    This game makes me wish once again there were less restriction on juggles in SFV.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 7,829
    This is a good time to have "Off topic" button.

The Off Tipic button is fucking cancer. Guys like @PVL_93_RU abused the shit out of it.

Just click get rekt
    SFV: Cammy/Kolin - And Probably Menat :P
    Tekken 7: Katarina Alves/Master Raven
    Rev 2: Elphelt
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in TWINBLADES is actually a lowercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465

I'll do a write up about how it feels compared to marvels Thor and SFV akuma since I did long session with both immediately after I played IJ2

It's weird because everyone feels like a 500 pound gorilla when jumping... except for the 500 pound gorilla.

Should be interesting considering Thor is basically already sluggish, grappler Magneto.

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,254
    TBH I think the only way anyone could have gotten a habit for teching throws a lot is through SFIV. Even in 3rd Strike where the traditional crouch teching OS came from (light button releases tech is performed during crouch) you couldn't abuse that because one parry without you immediately canceling into something meant you were going to take huge damage. You can watch plenty of 3S high level matches where people just take 3, 4, 5 even 6 throws in a row because the damage you will take getting your crouch tech parried is still worse. SFIV's game mechanics just inherently made crouch teching way less risky and thus the ability to actually create a habit of teching.

It wasn't just that though. SFIV also let you convert crouch techs into good damage and/or knockdowns. In 3rd Strike I get one fucking crouch jab if I hit (in a game where lights did abysmal damage on their own), and eat at least 30% damage if I lose the exchange. The fact that you could parry crouch jabs in both directions didn't make things better. The risk-reward is... rather skewed in that scenario.

To be fair the risk reward was in favor of the attacker in SFIV too when it came to beating crouch techs, but by a significantly lower margin.
    Played in one of the ELeague amateur tournaments last night. Played against Joel first round so that was kinda cool... didn't decent against him and probably shoulda taken it to a 3rd game but that's what I get for being rusty. It was streamed but unfortunately, it looks like my match was cut off =(
    Would have liked to get some feedback from some of you SRK gods :sad:

I know I'm probably late as hell on this but I literally just forced myself to not tech midscreen unless there were super obvious throws coming at me. It was basically a complete revelation-- obviously its tough to defend in this game anyone, but 90% of the time its just not even worth it to tech. I think this is one of the key differences in mindsets between top players and lesser competition. Also had a conversation with Joel about mindset after our match where we talked about the games high damage and Akuma's health. He mentioned that Tokido and Samurai both told him that Akuma's low health is not a limiting factor at all because situations where he dies are the same situations where other characters get stunned anyway, and we all know that if you get stunned you've basically lost the round. So the additional options far outweigh a drawbacks that really aren't even real in practice. This kinda further affirms my theory that you absolutely can't play this game scared, and that mental blocks hold people back in this game more than anything.

After the tourney I played some Ultra with some guys that don't really play SFV. Sagat needs to be in SFV because this motherfucker is too fun. I also reaction Tiger Uppercutted a dash punch (from about half screen) that would have chipped me out. The game has a lot of bullshit, but it really makes me miss reactive play.

Being seconds from stun is a pretty regular thing in games like 3S and ST and those were the 2 games I played competitively the most before 09. This whole being afraid of heavy damage and comeback swings is kinda foreign for me because that's what happened back then. 3S Makoto grabbed you in her corner? Time to die. ST Dic crossed you up? Easiest ToD in the world coming.

TBH I think the only way anyone could have gotten a habit for teching throws a lot is through SFIV. Even in 3rd Strike where the traditional crouch teching OS came from (light button releases tech is performed during crouch) you couldn't abuse that because one parry without you immediately canceling into something meant you were going to take huge damage. You can watch plenty of 3S high level matches where people just take 3, 4, 5 even 6 throws in a row because the damage you will take getting your crouch tech parried is still worse. SFIV's game mechanics just inherently made crouch teching way less risky and thus the ability to actually create a habit of teching.

Great points. After talking and playing with the NC 3s guys and a Yun player I know that's been to multiple coop cups, I think I realized that I wasn't being analytical enough in regards to both matchups, and the general flow of the game.

For example, if you are playing against a SA2 Makoto, it's almost never worth it to corner her, let alone play on her side of the screen. You can play perfect 90% of the round, but she lands one parry karakusa and you're done. So why even risk it? IMO it's a lot easier to do bullshit in SFV compared to 3s, but the point remains-- you still have to do things that limit risk or straight up avoids it altogether. Take Balrog for example. 3 bars is a lot of V-Gauge, so is holding on to meter so you can kill him with a 350+ CA combo so that you just skip his v-trigger the best strat? I can't answer that, but it's something that needs to be explored and I think its a line of thinking that most players don't consider.

And yeah, first SF game I learned competitively was SFIV, so crouch teching was a really bad habit of mine. I've starting forcing myself to limit times I tech to only instances where I visually confirm them walking forward and my defense has already improved significantly.

Then he called me bro
  • Deadpool_MercDeadpool_Merc 天 WE BACK BABY Joined: Posts: 1,208
    Played in one of the ELeague amateur tournaments last night. Played against Joel first round so that was kinda cool... didn't decent against him and probably shoulda taken it to a 3rd game but that's what I get for being rusty. It was streamed but unfortunately, it looks like my match was cut off =(
    Would have liked to get some feedback from some of you SRK gods :sad:

I know I'm probably late as hell on this but I literally just forced myself to not tech midscreen unless there were super obvious throws coming at me. It was basically a complete revelation-- obviously its tough to defend in this game anyone, but 90% of the time its just not even worth it to tech. I think this is one of the key differences in mindsets between top players and lesser competition. Also had a conversation with Joel about mindset after our match where we talked about the games high damage and Akuma's health. He mentioned that Tokido and Samurai both told him that Akuma's low health is not a limiting factor at all because situations where he dies are the same situations where other characters get stunned anyway, and we all know that if you get stunned you've basically lost the round. So the additional options far outweigh a drawbacks that really aren't even real in practice. This kinda further affirms my theory that you absolutely can't play this game scared, and that mental blocks hold people back in this game more than anything.

After the tourney I played some Ultra with some guys that don't really play SFV. Sagat needs to be in SFV because this motherfucker is too fun. I also reaction Tiger Uppercutted a dash punch (from about half screen) that would have chipped me out. The game has a lot of bullshit, but it really makes me miss reactive play.

I think I've slowly been coming to this realization with Gouki myself. My biggest problem with him is definitely my mental state. You just can't afford to make too many mistakes. I'm the type that when I make 1 mistake (and lose 20% health), I get aggressive and end up making another mistake (this one most likely more stupid and forced) which leads to stun or death.

Need to get into Zen mode when using Gouki.

SFV - Gouki/Bison/Urien, Ed, Cammy, Ken. Gonna learn Laura and Chun someday....someday

SAGAT WHERE YOU AT BRUH?
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,114
    I dunno any of the mechanics of injustice and i like zoning. However it does need to be nuanced enough to where it requires a well thought out game plan to execute.

Sf4 did this pretty well for the most part. Characters had ways around fireballs but they usually required a decent reaction, they could be baited or they could be defeated by proper spacing or speed changes.

Sfv handles zoning poorly for the most part. The bypass methods dont require reactions. Many of them travel near full screen, and have long periods of invulnerability.

Without knowing injustice, deadshot stuff looks too strong to the naked eye. Like there is no nuance to it.

But that is a completely uninformed opinion. How good is the roll against it? Can you trade favorably with your own projectile. Does he have soft spots.

Most likely its too early and the counter strats take more development time than the early ease of use of deadshot.
  • GenistarGenistar Master Drayden Joined: Posts: 4,874
    MB roll seems to be good to get in on zoners. I think after some time, deadshot will probably be kind of bad. His wake up will probably get worse when people learn how to make it whiff.
    USF4:Mains Rose/Poison/Akuma
    Street fighter V Akuma/Mika/Kolin

Even if they don't do another patch to the game it's inevitable that Deadshot will get bodied by some other good characters

• VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,469
    Naeras wrote: »

In 3rd Strike I get one fucking crouch jab if I hit (in a game where lights did abysmal damage on their own), and eat at least 30% damage if I lose the exchange.

cr.tech reward in 3s is super super variable, yang can get a combo for instance, and i've seen MOV do jab jab sa2 with chun.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
    Veserius wrote: »

In 3rd Strike I get one fucking crouch jab if I hit (in a game where lights did abysmal damage on their own), and eat at least 30% damage if I lose the exchange.

cr.tech reward in 3s is super super variable, yang can get a combo for instance, and i've seen MOV do jab jab sa2 with chun.

Makoto and Hugo can get it as well off the top of my head. I'd still err on the side of it being generally really risky though. Unless you're chun with a fucking 2 frame jab :angry:

Then he called me bro
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,723
    edited May 19
    HNIC Mike wrote: »
    I dunno any of the mechanics of injustice and i like zoning. However it does need to be nuanced enough to where it requires a well thought out game plan to execute.

Most likely its too early and the counter strats take more development time than the early ease of use of deadshot.

Most of the zoning characters do require a gameplan and zoning in general is very nuanced with many characters like DR Fate, Ivy, Firestorm, etc.

The difference is those characters have other tools so when you wanna get better there is more for you to learn. Ketchup and Mustard just discovered the other day a way to get Scarecrow to max trait off 1 confirm into reset. Tech for these characterz will keep coming out and making them stronger.

Deadshot on the other hand is made to be simple by design so his ceiling is very low from here imo.
    You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,597
    Now that KoF 14 for PC is a real thing, worth picking up?
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,254
    Veserius wrote: »

Considering how fast you need to input the SA2 to do jab jab SA2, you probably need a good read for it to work, rather than mashing it nilly willy. And trying to buffer the super during blockstun means you stop blocking.
    It's an option, but I've never eaten a super from a defensive crouch tech, so you need a good read for it to work, I think.

Yang is a fair point though. Yun and Remy get easy-ish conversions too, when I think about it.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 8,728
    edited May 19
    Reticently wrote: »
    Now that KoF 14 for PC is a real thing, worth picking up?

I'm playing the closed beta right now. It seems to run mostly fine despite a few crashes here and there and there's less input lag than on PS4 apparently. The only bad thing is its pricing, a little too high for a game that came out so late.
    If you have enough money for the pre-purchase you can simply buy it, play the beta until June 14 and then refund (Steam will refund pre-orders no matter what). This way you can basically play it for free.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
    Music basically serves as background fodder in NRS games. It's not very memorable at all.

Menu and character select music from injustice 1 is legendary though... not a fan of the remixed version in IJ2
This discussion has been closed.