The Street Fighter V General: Only one Ed matters and it ain't Boon

Comments

• QuarkQuark Joined: Posts: 3,961
    imagine if they had gotten hans zimmer to do the injustice 2 soundtrack, that would be godlike
    "Please understand, I never had a secret chart
    To get me to the heart of this or any other matter"
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,189
    purbeast wrote: »
    Music basically serves as background fodder in NRS games. It's not very memorable at all.

Menu and character select music from injustice 1 is legendary though... not a fan of the remixed version in IJ2

Which is sad because the sound in MK1 and MK2 is incredible, especially the sound effects. Music is somewhat forgettable in part 2, but the music to me in part 1 is very memorable. It's not really good music really, but it is just memorable to me and easily recognizable.

Just listen to this shit from injustice 1:

It actually makes you feel like you are in a noir D.C. Films opening credits. The build up is fucking top notch.

I still remember MK 1 and 2 music. That track that played every time in the dead forest or in goros lair where you can hear chains rattling in the background.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "It looks just like an NRS game. For a lot of you guys it seems denial is just a river in Africa" - Drunkards_Walk
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,189
    Damn I called it dead Forrest lol.

Still top notch
    "It looks just like an NRS game. For a lot of you guys it seems denial is just a river in Africa" - Drunkards_Walk
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,443
    Reason4U wrote: »

Which is sad because the sound in MK1 and MK2 is incredible, especially the sound effects. Music is somewhat forgettable in part 2, but the music to me in part 1 is very memorable. It's not really good music really, but it is just memorable to me and easily recognizable.

The build up on this living forest stage always got me hype.

Part 2 forgettable? This beat tho bruh...

Bruh how you gonna talk about good sound and link to Genesis clips...

(FWIW I don't have sound here, but Genesis sound in general was really bad compared to SNES)

I own MK2 arcade PCB so I have the real shit.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 9,220
    @Hawkingbird you got bodied by ISDD's Aquaman LUL
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,630
    Bruh how you gonna talk about good sound and link to Genesis clips...

(FWIW I don't have sound here, but Genesis sound in general was really bad compared to SNES)

I own MK2 arcade PCB so I have the real shit.

I grew up with a genesis so those versions have a special place in my heart. Even with the consoles music limitations those tracks are timeless.

MK2 character select music is on MT. Rushmore. Right up there with CvS2 for my favorite character pick themes ever.

You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 33,016
    edited May 19
    Okay, this topic is now about what is the best FG Character Select theme of all time.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    @MrWizard got kof14 beta codes for pc. Lets see if he shows the forum some love.
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Frame Data Scientist Joined: Posts: 20,336
    Saitsu wrote: »
    Okay, this topic is now about what is the best FG Character Select theme of all time.

Soul Calibur II, obz.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed (maybe?)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
    edited May 19

In no order:
    Super street fighter 2
    Injustice gods among us
    Def jam fight for NY
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Wu tang: Shaolin style
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 7,945
    edited May 19
    Genesis had its own distinct 70s electronic sound which isn't necessarily bad; it's an acquired taste.

Some notable shit

[SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    Music basically serves as background fodder in NRS games. It's not very memorable at all.

Menu and character select music from injustice 1 is legendary though... not a fan of the remixed version in IJ2

I love the soundtracks in Genesis versions of MK1, 2 and 3. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I never played the SNES or Arcade versions, but I consider Genesis to be the best rendition of MK2's OST, and MK1 is AT LEAST on par with Arcade

Like, listen to this shit:

With MK3 they really dropped the ball, I think they changed the composer for the Genesis team at that point, so outside of the Church and Subway the game doesn't eally have any good tracks. All others range from mediorce to garbage

It's kinda insane how much the quality has dropped. Also funnily enough I think MK3's Genesis OST sounds better in mono since it gets rid of this weird static noise

After MK3 I grew kinda indifferent to the soundtracks. MK4 is nothing special, MKDA and MKD had a few decent ones (for example I like the ambients from the Konquest modes in both), MKA is just whatever. MK9 and MK10 feel like they don't even have a soundtrack
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    I just want fighting games to be on top again so we can get another def jam or wu tang fighter tbh
  • PLEXIKLASPLEXIKLAS Joined: Posts: 149
    edited May 19

SFV!

nhaa gotta go mvc2
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson SFV ID: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 142
    It bothered the piss out of me at the beginning, but somehow, I grew to love the soundtrack to MVC2.
    edited May 19
    In no order:
    Super street fighter 2

Injustice gods among us

Def jam fight for NY

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Wu tang: Shaolin style

Honestly its kind of hard to narrow down the Def Jam sound from the intro.... since all the songs were just hits from the day. That prolly shouldn't count but w/e
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 5,387
    StockyJam wrote: »

"Wildlife officials caught the chunky monkey — nicknamed “Uncle Fat” by locals"

Uncle fat is an awesome name.
    edited May 19
    My top 5 character select music:

1. Vampire Savior
    2. Skullgirls
    3. Xrd/X2 (can't decide)
    4. KOF13
    5. UNIEL

Honorable mention: SF2 Hyper Fighting (transcends everything)

edit: shit, forgot MvC.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet

Pff, this, of course. Nothing compares, especially when the announcer goes PLEASE SELECT YOUR CHARACTER!

SRK's Story Thread Crew:

• yung_balrogyung_balrog Joined: Posts: 789
    edited May 19
    Genesis had its own distinct 70s electronic sound which isn't necessarily bad; it's an acquired taste.

Some notable shit

wtf ecco's choice of synths/modulation is godlike... sounds like fking justice... someone remix this shit
  • AlkipotAlkipot Purse first, ass last Joined: Posts: 1,733
    Every Sonic game on Genesis had great music so in your face!

I do wish Injustice had better music...
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, Birdie)
    Watch my terrible SFV/For Honor/UFC2 play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
  • crash_and_burncrash_and_burn "Do I drive? Or am I driven?" Joined: Posts: 2,701
    Bought the SFV OST Double CD recently and it really is an overall good soundtrack. Especially when played in different environments such as in the car or at work.

I now have all the SF OSTs on my PSP for posterity.

Shadaloo Base theme is perfect rush hour traffic music.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 9,893
    Dime_x wrote: »
    That ultradavid footsies vid is pretty insightful. It's been so long since I played a game with footsies and midrange like that that I didn't recognize it till UD brought it up. So wiff punishing is based on wiff punishing strings and things like jumpins, not trying to punish 1 hit, no range, normals.

This kinda reminds me of soul caliber 2 a bit because lots of wiff punishing in that game was basically that same example. Also of course instead of wiff punishing there was simply walking into range and blocking so you could take your advantage back...

These kinds of games are very interesting to play. Better than the binary that sf5 touts as neutral at the very least.

But still, it does feel clunky. But that's probably just something to get used to. Soul caliber 2 feels clunky as well at first, but you get used to it quickly by playing the game, at which point the fastest move in the game which is 7 frames feels like trying to play against a 1 frame jab, since most of the fastest moves in the game are 10 frames.

Good analogy. Nrs plays more like a 3d game.

I hope more people can be open minded about the game. Its different for sure but understanding how the basics translate goes a long way. There's a fun game in there if you can get past it being different
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 52,361 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I remember when SonicFox and somebody else on commentary were like "Omg the music in this stage is so good", "Yeah they really improved the music quality" while I'm sitting in training mode thinking to myself "Jesus Christ this is the most boring and run-of-the-mill soundtrack I've listened to for a while".

Music and animation quality in NRS games is complete trash.

The music just sounds like generic Michael Bay movie music

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• TWINBLADESTWINBLADES ON YOUR KNEES!!!! Joined: Posts: 6,731

Marvel 2. And that's not even a contest lol
    SFV: Cammy/Kolin - And Probably Satsuki :P
    Tekken 7: Katarina Alves/Master Raven
    CFN: TWINBLADES [The "i" in my name is actually an uppercase L]
    PSN: CARBON465
  • yung_balrogyung_balrog Joined: Posts: 789
    edited May 19
    WTF no one ever told me the genesis ran on a legit yamaha synthesizer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612

and the snes compresses every sound in the game into a 64kb file and samples it

so the reason why most genesis games sound "inferior" is bc devs were too lazy to learn how to program the synth, while any bedroom producer fuccboi can use samples

anyone else into music production and knows what im talking about? SHIEEEEEET
  • ToreyBeansToreyBeans So many games so lil time... Joined: Posts: 638
    edited May 19
    Coupled with the powerful sound and musical score

Kek.

• HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 9,893
    edited May 19
    So sfv kof and ij2 all have 6+ frames of input delay. GG is at 5.4

Whats the chances that some of this shit is because of the ps4?
    WTF no one ever told me the genesis ran on a legit yamaha synthesizer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612

and the snes compresses every sound in the game into a 64kb file and samples it

so the reason why most genesis games sound "inferior" is bc devs were too lazy to learn how to program the synth, while any bedroom producer fuccboi can use samples

anyone else into music production and knows what im talking about? SHIEEEEEET

Yeah, that's also why it sounds very much like the 70's electronic music Justice take their inspiration from.

Dammit I forgot the Sega CD titles. How could I forget Snatcher

[SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,194
    Naeras wrote: »
    Veserius wrote: »
    Naeras wrote: »
    TBH I think the only way anyone could have gotten a habit for teching throws a lot is through SFIV. Even in 3rd Strike where the traditional crouch teching OS came from (light button releases tech is performed during crouch) you couldn't abuse that because one parry without you immediately canceling into something meant you were going to take huge damage. You can watch plenty of 3S high level matches where people just take 3, 4, 5 even 6 throws in a row because the damage you will take getting your crouch tech parried is still worse. SFIV's game mechanics just inherently made crouch teching way less risky and thus the ability to actually create a habit of teching.

In 3rd Strike I get one fucking crouch jab if I hit (in a game where lights did abysmal damage on their own), and eat at least 30% damage if I lose the exchange.

cr.tech reward in 3s is super super variable, yang can get a combo for instance, and i've seen MOV do jab jab sa2 with chun.

Considering how fast you need to input the SA2 to do jab jab SA2, you probably need a good read for it to work, rather than mashing it nilly willy. And trying to buffer the super during blockstun means you stop blocking.
    It's an option, but I've never eaten a super from a defensive crouch tech, so you need a good read for it to work, I think.

Yang is a fair point though. Yun and Remy get easy-ish conversions too, when I think about it.

well I think the thing is, what environment are you playing 3s in? The way i think about games is "what does high level play look like?" not "what am I seeing when i play online/locally"
    It bothered the piss out of me at the beginning, but somehow, I grew to love the soundtrack to MVC2.

I'm sorry for your struggle to enjoy good music.

Also Genesis music is dope, it's really distinctive, but a huge thing was that it was more familiar hardware to work with so composers who were already working on arcade hardware had an easier time adapting initially.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
    HNIC Mike wrote: »

It's likely. Which means nobody can call the lag card on PS4 SFV at this point. All of those games are PS4 tournament standard so we all getting shit to come out at the same laggy time frame.

• appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 3,220
    edited May 19
    oh and of course the precipiceof fate stage theme

how it build itself up fits so well with the stage...i think i will just use this stage the majority of time :D

It's likely. Which means nobody can call the lag card on PS4 SFV at this point. All of those games are PS4 tournament standard so we all getting shit to come out at the same laggy time frame.

yhea that might be true, my biggest problem with SFV is the buffer window, just doesnt feel right to me
    PLEXIKLAS wrote: »

yhea that might be true, my biggest problem with SFV is the buffer window, just doesnt feel right to me

Most anime games have a completely bigger buffer window so it was really only a matter of time before SF got one imo.

Chaos Code has like a 15 to 20 frame buffer or something absurd like that

just tighten up the gameplay.....

the Pro's would feel special and the Joe's would have somthing to strive for, the way its suposed to be imo

Leads you to believe the delay is pretty intentional if everyone is doing it.

Mike Z made a post about how you have to design the game with delay in mind... no way it just slips through the cracks.
    2bHH7mF.png

There's still hope for Eventscrubs
  • Reason4UReason4U Joined: Posts: 4,630

The Skullgirls character select is underated because its still new. Top tanya status.
    You ain't SHIT Wesker!!! - Dormmammu
    MK9-Sub Zero, Sonya VF-Goh, Brad Tekken-Lee, Hwo,Paul,Leo
    SFxT-Cody/Poison
    Skullgirls-Peacock,Cerabella,Painwheel TTT2- Lee/Hwo, Paul/Leo, JC/Steve

Meanwhile, Xrd is 3-4f of input delay on PC :coffee:
    [SFV] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet
    Does anyone have the CPT season 2 DLC? Has the extra monthly missions gone live yet? If so what are they and how much FM can you get for completing them?
    Why do you go on Eventhubs in the first place? @TWINBLADES
    st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

To peep their click bait.
  • Darc RequiemDarc Requiem The Light Emitting Darkness Joined: Posts: 7,110
    edited May 19
    Why do you go on Eventhubs in the first place? @TWINBLADES
    st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

Tournament results. Also we know that was your alt account with comment @TWINBLADES
    Post edited by Darc Requiem on