Street Fighter the Movie Broke My Heart

Comments

• SixMachineSixMachine Joined: Posts: 2,346
    Great thread. I read through most of it before. Very interesting stuff.

Though I'm curious of the whole Sawada thing. Why not just have him play Ryu? He actually looks like he has muscle and experience, I think he would make a better Ryu than the dude who played him. Though if the excuse is that he can't speak english, well you can't even understand a damn thing when Ryu announces his moves in SF2 anyways. But that is movie related not game related.

Imagine if they made a SF: The Legend of Chun Li: The Game. Would that actually make SF: The Movie actually look good?
  • Master BigodeMaster Bigode Touhoufag Joined: Posts: 879
  • KousenKousen Oh no, Kousen YES?!? Joined: Posts: 248
    That movie made me want to rip my eyes out.

you fuck...
    "No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on the proper occasions."
  • Bob SagatBob Sagat Akuma Thurman Joined: Posts: 1,547

Lol. Yeah give me ST any time, though that has a super meter too and is also frowned upon by a lot of true OGs...
    That movie made me want to rip my eyes out.

you fuck...

Not the point of this thread at all and please don't use prem meme's (preme's?) on Mr. Noon. Makes it look like you blame him for the damn movie.
    Roald Dhalsim
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    To say that I'm late getting to this thread is an obvious understatement...I accidentally stumbled across it while doing some other search elsewhere (Kotaku, maybe?)

In any case, what a fantastic read. Equal parts interesting and heartbreaking.

What struck me most is that whenever I play a game that is awful, or just disappointing, it becomes easy to blame/demonize the faceless developers. Heck, after playing Jumper for the 360, or Superman 64...I just want to think of the designers as drunken folk spending their time beating puppies between crafting a game that they are making because they hate humanity (or something).

While I never quite thought of SFTM:TG to be THAT legendarily awful, it is sobering to read how hard Mr. Noon tried, and what incredibly awesome intentions he had.

This thread, in a small way, has increased the love for SFTM:TG. It'll be hard for any of us to look at the game and not have a newfound respect for it. Sure, it ain't the greatest...but whenever I see it, I'll think of this thread and be reminded of the effort that went into it. Seeing what a great guy Alan Noon is makes it even harder to hate the game.

I'm still holding out hope that the makers of "Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust" spent their time kicking handicapped kittens.

pmWolf

PS: On my first date EVER with my wife, we went to see Street Fighter: The Movie in the theatre. The mere fact that she stuck with me after that is astounding.
  • Mycah LeonhartMycah Leonhart The Pope of Bootyism Joined: Posts: 1,028
    Props for wearing in an Indians Throwback Jersey Mr. Noon :woot: (Cleveland is my Hometown)

Thank you for posting all of this.......and it breaks my heart that you feel SF4 was not the game you wanted back when this thread started in 2007.
    R.I.P. Nate Hunt - Gone but never forgotten.
    Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens.......
    Netplay Fix = http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=214258&p=8269146
  • hacksparrowhacksparrow Banned Joined: Posts: 331
    Great thread. I read through most of it before. Very interesting stuff.

Though I'm curious of the whole Sawada thing. Why not just have him play Ryu? He actually looks like he has muscle and experience, I think he would make a better Ryu than the dude who played him. Though if the excuse is that he can't speak english, well you can't even understand a damn thing when Ryu announces his moves in SF2 anyways. But that is movie related not game related.

Imagine if they made a SF: The Legend of Chun Li: The Game. Would that actually make SF: The Movie actually look good?

let me break it down for you when ryu does a spinny kick its "uh tat tat boo kak", and when he does this flying punch thingy its "ah you can"

i doubt a game for chun li would make a difference, wots the difference with that and the street fighter movie game?
  • DHEvilDHEvil Joined: Posts: 2,365
    I have the PSOne version. It's honestly not that bad. It would be playable if it didn't look like vomit.
    BUHSSA WUHF!!
  • SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    i wonder what he thought of SF4...
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • PROFESSORLESTERPROFESSORLESTER I'm THESHIT.COM Joined: Posts: 675
    SFTM rocks
    It takes skill to be this Random
    ALEX, ABEL, ANJI, ADON,HONDA, DEEJEY TAGAR
    One of the first GDLK members. Now thats e-penis
  • Xenozip.Xenozip. what a nincowpoop Joined: Posts: 3,942

Ironically I think his assessment of the gameplay isn't inaccurate, but the way he worded it seems kind of pass. If he played it more and rewrote that post he'd probably end up saying the same thing but with different words.
    Let's play.
  • EtotheNGSPDEtotheNGSPD Gief Power Joined: Posts: 882
    SFTM rocks

who came up with the idea for that super??
    The Next time we meet im going to break your arms.
    Spun Uncontrollably Skyward... Driven Brutaly Into the Ground.
    Zangief's express line is Open who, is Next???
    Thanks to Luciano Leone, that AV is Fucking Awesome Bro.
  • PROFESSORLESTERPROFESSORLESTER I'm THESHIT.COM Joined: Posts: 675
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PROFESSORLESTER View Post
    SFTM rocks

A blind 4 year old.
    It takes skill to be this Random
    ALEX, ABEL, ANJI, ADON,HONDA, DEEJEY TAGAR
    One of the first GDLK members. Now thats e-penis
  • Master BigodeMaster Bigode Touhoufag Joined: Posts: 879

Capcom :xeye:
    ^Cool story bro.
    :tup:
    /▌____
    / \
    http://www.touhouwiki.net
  • PSonyPSony Joined: Posts: 77
    I have the PSOne version. It's honestly not that bad. It would be playable if it didn't look like vomit.

That's not the same game the topic is about. I actually like that one though. I have it on Saturn and PS1, both the American and Japanese versions.

I wish they would've ported the arcade version. Sure it's not as good as the console versions but the new special moves and the combo system were interesting.
  • ruff0123ruff0123 Joined: Posts: 529
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gamepage#g/u

This guy got some vid of how street fighter the movie is played seriously. It looks unpolished and spastastic. No recovery on special moves or any moves for that matters, air srk, rainbow edition style hadokens ( even one that went off the screen then came back and finished the opponent ) and much much more.

One thing that caught my eye is that you can counter a throw but the opponent can counter the counter but you can counter the counter that counter...if that made any sense at all lol
  • anoonanoon Joined: Posts: 91
    Wow, it's fun to see that this thread still gets some love. I really enjoy looking at the responses.
    That was from the home version, not the coin op. Not sure what is supposed to be going on there. :)
  • nk4enk4e Trying to adapt... Joined: Posts: 680
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PROFESSORLESTER View Post
    SFTM rocks
    :rofl::rofl:
    "The ultimate skill is to take up a position where you are formless.... Those who are able to adapt and change in accord with the enemy and achieve victor are called divine...."-Sun Tzu
    Thank Lolerskates for the Avatar!
    This guy got some vid of how street fighter the movie is played seriously.

Thanks for those vids. This Gief playthrough is amazing. I thought he had no chance against Akuma, then he whipped out the most retarded infinite in history. He does some damn nice juggles too, even though everything juggles.
    Roald Dhalsim
  • kevgeezkevgeez Joined: Posts: 351
    Still, SFTM was shitloads better than SF 2009 movie.
    Seeing you in Action is a Joke.
  • PsytresePsytrese Joined: Posts: 6
    Have you posted the Sheng Long picture you were talking about? Wouldn't mind getting a look at it.
  • LifelessLifeless Inspector Suplex Joined: Posts: 861
    I'm well over 3 years late to the party, but I just read this thread and I'd like to say thanks for going through all the trouble to write this. Time Killers and Bloodstorm are still 2 of my favorite games from my childhood and I love reading about them.
    I'm learning to live with a lot of things - Peyton Westlake
  • gaemmkgaemmk Joined: Posts: 170
    kasumi ninja, among other things

so alan, why did sftm game have terrible physics, compared to mortal kombat 2, and did the team try to figure out what mortal kombat was doing? i guess i'm also asking, why did mortal kombat work, while other digi fighters failed. for ex: tattoo assassins(already mentioned) sftm, kasumi ninja. i've never understood why mk looked so much better than every 2d digitized game ever made.
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,282

Once again, for the last time-the ps1 version and the saturn version are COMPLETELY didfferent to the ARCADE version which the OP is talking about. the console versions are NOT CONVERSIONS of the arcade game. You are comparing apples to badgers.
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
  • Saotome KanedaSaotome Kaneda Watch your back Joined: Posts: 5,332 mod
    Resurrecting this thread temporarily for AfroCole
    Original Team Sp00ky Member - Only the finest of Poverty™ Gaming Hipster™
    Comic-Z vs Super Metroid Watch if you want to lose your mind
  • InitialInitial Joined: Posts: 38
    A late comer to the party and a long time lurker too but I also want to give my thanks for a fascinating thread and a great read.
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,579
    SRK's best thread?
  • otterotter CFN: otter- Joined: Posts: 4,579
    Capcom Japan wasn?t too hot on that idea initially, saying something to the effect that ?When Sheng Long does appear, it will be like God making an appearance.?

looks like Capcom Japan was right. although, in SF4 he does have a terrible model and scrubby playstyle working against him.
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    SFTM:TG Saturn/PSX version is actually pretty solid. I need to play it more sometime.
  • eJaYeJaY Joined: Posts: 235
    I still play this game on MAME. I think the arcade is way better than the home console versions. I love the juggle from doing hurricane kicks and 3-4 uppercutts w/ ryu, it never gets old.
    Aquapazza - Konomi
    Injustice - Catwoman
    MVC2 - Felicia/Charlie/Silver Samurai
    UMVC3 - X-23/Frank West/Ryu
    USF4 - Poison

• CStaticCStatic Was it something I said? Joined: Posts: 765
    Ironically I think his assessment of the gameplay isn't inaccurate, but the way he worded it seems kind of pass. If he played it more and rewrote that post he'd probably end up saying the same thing but with different words.
    Really? I find his words quite bemusing for the most part, mainly because had anyone but him said that, they'd be getting branded as a scrub right about now. I find it very strange how someone who worked on a Street Fighter game and is a long time fan of the series somehow can't figure out what guages are for, Grooves must have confused the hell out of him.....
    "The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go".

GW2: Jane Woo - Sylvari Thief - The Unseen [UNSN] ~ Incinerator 04/12/12
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,114
    Oh no the blog is down :(
    Now I can't see the pictures. lol
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• SaikyouSaikyou Play Vsavior/Melty! Joined: Posts: 206
    Who revived this great topic? I already thinked it was deleted...good to know it still exists.

Shame the pics are down.
    Vampire Savior: Jedah - Melty Blood: C-Nero
    So wait, this was never stickied? This is one of the most legendary threads ever!
    Roald Dhalsim
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    edited February 2013
    Post edited by Louiscipher on
    STOMP!
  • UnD34DUnD34D Money upper!!! Joined: Posts: 117
    This is literally the best thread I've read on SRK, thank you for reviving it.
    I'm not here to make friends.

PSN - Cable_AHVB
  • TrainHarderTrainHarder BattleReady! Joined: Posts: 9
    Thanks for reviving this amazing thread and thanks to Mr.Noon for creating the best thread i've seen on SRK.
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,077
    Sorry to necro, but..

This playlist is amazing hahahahaha
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,114
    IS THIS STILL NOT STICKIED?????
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,159
    The blog is down. Bummer. Good read though.
  • hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    The blog is down. Bummer. Good read though.

Pretty bummed by this too. The whole story is fascinating.

Twitter | Twitch | Youtube
  • AJ1AJ1 Joined: Posts: 85
    @ anoon

Hi, I totally enjoyed the movie, and I got a problem with accessing your blogs. When I tried to, all I got was this, "Paumanhin, ang blog sa alan-noon.blogspot.com ay natanggal. Ang address na ito ay hindi magagamit para sa bagong mga blog. (Sorry, the blog at alan-noon.blogspot.com is deleted. This address is not available for new blogs.)" Can you help?
  • homerjwhohomerjwho Prism Ranger Red Joined: Posts: 83
    I have a friend who refuses to acknowledge that this movie has actually been made. He will literally stop talking to me if I mention it.
  • SolidSonicTHSolidSonicTH Nyan-ko. Joined: Posts: 404
    The last time Alan signed in was like 2 years ago, bro.
    I'm a tryhard, big deal. I don't see why you care.
  • anoonanoon Joined: Posts: 91
    Oh hey. I'm back. What's up?
    Oh, hey there.

Nuttin'. That blog you were working on about documenting your ups and downs with the project seems to be offline now. Are your thoughts still collected elsewhere?
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    @Anoon what did you think of the Fighterpedia video?
    STOMP!
    You know, to your credit, the classic themes that were snuck into the game weren't all that bad.

Some were lackluster but others had a unique sound that I could appreciate.