Video Game General 5.0: Gamescom 2017 8/22-8/26, M$ conference 8/20 @ 12 pm PT

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,644
    The sequels were better than the original borderlands in every respect. There's no reason to revisit the first game.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • StockyJamStockyJam Joined: Posts: 5,390
    edited August 13
    bought Hellblade.
    playing Hellblade....havent finished the game.
    impressions.
    its beautiful.
    story voice acting direction music art style graphics. all amazing.
    had 2 issues.
    1 game crashed after first death. never happened again. just stayed black screen. had no control. of the game or pc.
    2 tremendous frame drops during a long fight sequence in the "hell" part of the game.
    not sure why devs thought it was a good idea to put a legion to fight against in the most graphicaly intense part of the game. had to lower the game's graphics from very high to high. didnt make much difference.
    that has to be fixed. dont know how other than reducing either the rain/lightning or reducing the number of enemies you gotta fight there.
    puzzles are good.
    though...
    in the game, each time you die, Senua's right arm gets more and more infected by the corruption/darkness each time you die.
    if the corruption reaches up her arm and gets to her head...she perma-dies and the game erases your save file so you gotta start all the way from the very beginning of the game and i got into trouble in continuously dying over and over in this one part where i had to find runes in this maze and couldnt find the exit in this maze while this fire monster kept catching up to me causing my death because i couldnt find my way out running around in circles.
    there is no map.
    so you haveta be aware and remember your surrounding to know where youre going and where you came from.
    that makes puzzles harder.
    its also a memory test.

regarding combat.
    X=light sword attacks/horizontal
    Y=heavy sword/vertical
    A=evade/dodge
    B=melee/kick attack
    RB=block
    LB=run
    RT=look/rune view

the combat goes as follows
    face off.
    instant block=parry. what you always always want. block can get you pushed back or knocked down. not good.
    instant dodge=sorta like parry except the opponent doesnt get knocked back but a slight stun/slowdown of their movement.
    X and Y and B variations produce different combos. sorta like most other games.
    for example X X Y B will produce a different combo/moves compared to lets say X Y B
    B for first combo will cause a kick while 2nd combo listed B becomes a shoulder thrust instead of a kick.
    um...
    sometimes youll have to activate RT rune view to do a sorta bayonetta witch time. you cant activate it unless you get some hits in first. its like a gauge which fills up. but it doesnt take many hits to fill up. youre Hellblade game symbol on her...mirror lights up. thats how you know.
    her voices in her head will let you know when to dodge an off screen attack.
    double tapping dodge+sideways=roll
    double tap dodge + back = a backdash step
    LB/run+either Y X or B produces a charging running jumping attack. which can lead to finisher.
    for example LB+X=jumping forward fencing stab.
    LB+Y=super heavy attack
    LB+B=jumping forward knee
    if you do LB+Y followed by X the X is a finisher type move.
    i really havent explored the details of combat mechanics since there isnt any sorta way to practice combat. like you can in bayonetta load screens for ex.
    some enemies need different strategies.
    for example. shield wielders if you parry them and hit X or Y they will parry your shit. you haveta hit B instead of X or Y against them.

oh yea. right stick controls which opponent youve locked onto

Post edited by StockyJam on
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,317
    I tried out We Happy Few again, I haven't played it since it first launched in preview. It's actually kinda cool. I'm thinking of buying it. It's $30 now but will go up to the odd price of $50.99 when it launches in full on the 16th. relapsed this weekend on buying games, also swooped Rise of Tomb Raider for $16 and Wolfenstein 09, F.E.A.R, and Onimusha 2 for a little over $20. Not to mention I got the Sonic Mania collector's coming in.

I was gonna swoop Agents of Mayhem as well, but I think I will wait until next check for that tbh, as much as I wanna play it on release. idk we'll see. Don't have any other planned purchases besides a few cheaper games and then Wolfenstein 2 in October
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 11,744
    I'll probably check out hellblade eventually but obviously I'm gonna wait for any bugs to be ironed out. I heard the perma death thing via erasing the save file has to happen because of like 50 deaths.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    idk. i had one death and the corruption was like a lil past her wrist...then i died like 7 or 8 times failing to run away from that fire monster and the corruption reached her shoulder.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,516
    So you can't run the game on very high and that's the devs problem?
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The sequels were better than the original borderlands in every respect. There's no reason to revisit the first game.

Lies Lilith is a god and completely breaks the game, reason enough to play it.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 13
    jae hoon wrote: »

Lies Lilith is a god and completely breaks the game, reason enough to play it.
    OG Borderlands was so much fun co-op. I played on a team that consisted of a Lilith, Blaster Brick, and a Roland. Lilith was the most broken by far. The sequel wasn't nearly as fun IMO, as was just too grindy.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 9,994
    I don't see the point of a remake of the original game. Borderlands is all about getting bigger and bigger. "Bazillion gazillion guns!" in each trailer. Why would they go backwards to the dated original game? And if they're going to revamp it with new features and added touches, then why not just make a whole new game? Borderlands 1 wasn't exactly a narrative masterpiece, it hardly had a story at all.

Nobody is asking for a remake. People are asking for a remaster
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    edited August 13
    Jack_Frost wrote: »
    So you can't run the game on very high and that's the devs problem?

noooooooooo. you dont get it.
    i can run it max settings very high on everything and get at least 45fps. it runs smoothly.
    its just one single part that frames dropped straight to hell.
    which is the hell scene. ironically enough
    it dropped to 15fps at that one particular part. 30 without fight but pew! when the fighting started shit was all over the place frameswise

tw, the graphics in this game are amazing. youtube vids dont do it justice

Post edited by StockyJam on
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,401
    Hellblade looks boring from what I've seen looks great but gameplay is very lacking
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So I've been playing some more Gears 4 horde again since there's a certain special pack to get this weekend only... yep, the game is still cursed with one of the most stingy loot systems I've ever seen. I'll get enough credits to get that damn pack 1 time and that will likely be it for me...if I don't get the skins/characters I want out of that then whatever.

..such a love/hate relationship with this game though...because I still love how it actually plays. I notice they also added an "ANYTHING GOES" setting for Horde...so that's at least s good thing there; it gives us what most have wanted since the beginning--- any enemies can apparently show up on any wave....so it's not just the same deal over and over.

I keep getting teams that want to spend on fortifications so damn early though... that's a TERRIBLE gameplan, man... it's a bad sign when from wave 1 you see people already buying some barriers...on wave fucking 1 :get_outta_here: Even on Hardcore it's not necessary to buy all that shit yet. Then there's the other problem I still see going on of people not really sticking to the characters' roles-- like here I am playing Scout and I'm having to hope I'm getting to the power before others who AREN'T a Scout....non-scouts picking up power just ends up keeping the team broke, man. (for the uninitiated-- "Scout" class gets a significant bonus with the "power" pickups.. I have a +40% right now...and if I recall my pickups are also worth DOUBLE if the round is still in progress....obviously that adds up quite nicely when Scout is left to their role to pick up all the stuff.)

...then of course there's the other problem of people who leave once we've hit wave 20...some leave as early as wave 10.

*sidenote--I have one of those badass UIR character skins now from whatever that last event was.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,535
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Friday the 13th has sold 1.8 mill thus far.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-08-01-friday-the-13th-stumbles-to-1-8m-sold

Far far better than expected.

you see my hype towards the game is justified. of course, I'm miffed that they only plan Jason for single player, should've been the counselors vs a.i. Jason, but that game is really about the multiplayer anyways. The counselors are so awesome, and greatest selection of horror genre characters since the RE Outbreak games and the Siren games
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,082
    affinity wrote: »

and of course racists and weeb haters are gonna give NMS a pass since it's made by white people.
    Explain this like you where asked to affinity.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933
    So what new games have come out in the past three weeks?

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

• po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,829
    Chiro wrote: »
    apparently Platinum was in danger of going under and Nier of all things is what kept them afloat. im already not a big fan of Microsoft, but if their incompetence lead to one of the best action game creators going down i would have been legitimately pissed. they need to find a permanent publisher because they can't keep this up.
    2NjiIGw.jpg[img][/img]

Source please. I see where Kamiya said Yoko Taro "saved" Platinum, but I don't see anything about them being in financial trouble.

I swear, if I have to live in a world where Capcpom keeps getting to fuck up and Platinum dies, I will burn everything to the ground.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    I see.

While finding a permanent publisher would keep them afloat, at least for a while, we all know what publishers do to maverick game studios once they acquire them... Ask High Moon Studios and Eidos Montreal.

And just imagine the shit-fit SRK would have if Nintendo bought them out, lol...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • SaitsuSaitsu Tranquilo...ASSENAYO! Joined: Posts: 34,104
    po pimpus wrote: »
    I see.

While finding a permanent publisher would keep them afloat, at least for a while, we all know what publishers do to maverick game studios once they acquire them... Ask High Moon Studios and Eidos Montreal.

And just imagine the shit-fit SRK would have if Nintendo bought them out, lol...

Yeah but at the same time the alternative is complete dissolution unless they hit the ultimate killer app out of nowhere.

What's agreed upon is that they cannot continue as they have been.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,644
    I hope that Platinum doesn't hook up with Activision again. All the games they developed for them have been under budget crap.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    I hope that Platinum doesn't hook up with Activision again. All the games they developed for them have been under budget crap.

Transformers Devastation is not crap, and I will fight you to the death over this.

I'll give you the TMNT game, as it was straight trash, and the Korra game definitely needed more time in the oven.

I'll cut a motherfucker over Devastation, though.
    Regardless of how you feel about the games, the issue is that Platinum has been constantly underfunded for projects because a lot of publishers know they can get away with it and some of their previous success with a lacking budget probably hurts them in the negotiation table.
  • Black_JaguarBlack_Jaguar Mad skill Joined: Posts: 6,950

Transformers Devastation is not crap, and I will fight you to the death over this.

I'll give you the TMNT game, as it was straight trash, and the Korra game definitely needed more time in the oven.

I'll cut a motherfucker over Devastation, though.

I'm a massive fan of Devastation, but it was definitely crap for it to be considered a $50 game. I got more than $50 worth of enjoyment out of it, but I still don't believe it should have been a 50 dollar game
    These problems Platinum and other devs run into are symptoms of the greater systemic issues plaguing the industry today with these ballooning budgets, shit marketing, and greedy DLC schemes trying to make up for the exploding costs of development for games.

The current landscape is untenable for all but a handful of companies, and even they can't keep this shit up much longer.

I thought advances in technology were supposed to make things easier and less expensive, not the opposite...
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,506
    P* already had/has more games in development during that time, but I imagine cancellations don't help with morale and finances.

Looking forward to playing Nier:Automata sometime soon.

Activision shut down their branch that does licensed games.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,401
    apparently Platinum was in danger of going under and Nier of all things is what kept them afloat. im already not a big fan of Microsoft, but if their incompetence lead to one of the best action game creators going down i would have been legitimately pissed. they need to find a permanent publisher because they can't keep this up.
    2NjiIGw.jpg[img][/img]

like really?! i'm afraid certain game genres are going the way of FGs and music.

2NjiIGw.jpg[img][/img]

like really?! i'm afraid certain game genres are going the way of FGs and music.

...like how? Game genres are like music genres or any other genres. More liable to fade in and out of popularity rather than completely die. It takes a rare occurrence to completely kill off a music genre.
    FGs didn't go, and aren't going anywhere... If you play more than Capcpom's crap excuse for fighters, at least.

Same shit as the so-called "dark ages"... ArcSys, Namco, Sega, and other smaller guys were turning out great games, but since Ryu and Chun weren't in them, everyone acted like fighters were dead.

Kill that noise.
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 1,958
    edited August 14
    These problems Platinum and other devs run into are symptoms of the greater systemic issues plaguing the industry today with these ballooning budgets, shit marketing, and greedy DLC schemes trying to make up for the exploding costs of development for games.

The current landscape is untenable for all but a handful of companies, and even they can't keep this shit up much longer.

I thought advances in technology were supposed to make things easier and less expensive, not the opposite...

that issue is for the competing triple A developers who are in a graphical arms race. games don't have to look so realistic that you can count the pours on the characters skin, they just need to look good, play good, and above all be marketed well. that last one seems to be 99% of the issue for good games failing.

edit: also don't crash in the middle of fucking difficult boss fight making me restart that fucking tank of a boss. goddammit Trails of Cold Steel i come back after so long and this how you repay me? fuck you too.
    No, it's a problem with smaller games too.

Sonic Mania was programmed by THREE dudes, but it's credits are nearly four minutes long with all the suits they have to mention that didn't actually do shit.

I bet 80% of the already tiny budget went to those clowns and not the artists, programmers, and composers who did the real work.

And it will still turn out to be a better game than Forces, bet it.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,580
    EA tor Switch talks about potential future support for Switch
    http://nintendoeverything.com/ea-could-bring-many-more-games-to-switch-if-fifa-18-performs-well/

I've heard they plan to release Star Wars Battlefront 1 with all the dlc for 60 bucks next year. Its only going to have half of the players on the field in comparison to its ps4/xbone counterparts and they said they had to cut heroes from the game to make it work.
    Yes that is fake
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,158

Sonic Mania was programmed by THREE dudes, but it's credits are nearly four minutes long with all the suits they have to mention that didn't actually do shit.

I bet 80% of the already tiny budget went to those clowns and not the artists, programmers, and composers who did the real work.

The game wasn't made by just three dudes...
    Prove your justice to society.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,506
    I don't think anybody is thinking Sonic Forces will be better than Sonic Mania.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424

The game wasn't made by just three dudes...

I said PROGRAMMED by three people, and even mentioned that there were other artists and composers that worked on it as well.

So ready to attack a Po post, you can't even be bothered to read the whole thing...
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,159
    Surrrreeeee. Blame Microsoft for platinum games for almost going under.

I blame Platinum for doing a bad enough job that MS decided to cancel Scalebound.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,580
    Playstation Media Showcase is in October

I5Pn1MO.jpg
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 14
    cheh, finally got the 2000+ credits after another round of Horde last night... unlocked "Merchant/Navy" Dizzy, whatever it's called so that was good enough right there... fortunately I got some weapons skins as well so I just scrapped those since I don't really care about weapons skins.... there was an epic one too so this got me enough to finally get 1 skill card (deposit bonus for Scout = 50% now) up to level 5.

I guess if you don't do Horde with friends or rely on the "LFG" thing, quitters are guaranteed.... sometimes people will quit right at the start of wave 1 for some reason... I think it's because a lot of people just go out of their way to be an asshole, especially in games.

heh, I'm still watching the latest This is How You Don't Play which is the SoK crew laughing at Phil playing Sonic Adventure... currently at the part where he's doing the Knuckles treasure hunt levels (*I had forgotten this was in the first Adventure game, actually...) -- this reminds me of how much I still despise that shit ever existing in a Sonic game, man... whoever had that idea needed his or her ass beat the fuck down for a few hours. I'm not even sure which was worse... the treasure-hunt levels or the entire concept of Big the Cat and his goddamn stupid fishing being part of the deal. (*edit--the Knuckles' bullshit is a little past halfway point, btw... death counter is at 38 so far :lol: )
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,533
    Kotaku link be warned.
    http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/08/14/report-okami-hd-heading-for-xmas-release-on-ps4xbox-one

On one hand YAY OKAMI! : D
    On the other hand BOO NO PC & SWITCH PORT! >:(
    Will be interesting to see how big a visual upgrade it will be, the PS3 port already had improved textures and actually ran at a downsampled 4K which is kind of crazy.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    sorta silly not porting it to the switch. its the best zelda game ever made. if anyone should get a port its nintendo.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,959 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Projekt1514........
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,189
    Nidhogg 2 is apparently reviewing well despite the misgivings about the art shift.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,959 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck The Division's Dark Zone..........I feel there has to be some PVE exclusive sections.

Just want to get my weekly cache and bounce.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske