Video Game General 5.0: HEROES NEVER DIE...for a price!

Comments

• axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I haven't ever played a Dynasty Warriors game, nor have I been a graphics whore at any point in my life. But you know it's bad when a PS4 game has PS2 graphics.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,354
    I hear how the game's world is a complete detriment to the game. It's just lots of empty space.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 22,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

This game will have no microtransactions............cool.

I read that Relic will no longer support Dawn of War 3 because it failed expectations............fuck you Relic.
    You turned DoW3 into a damn MOBA..........what did you expect?

This and Dynasty Warriors 9 is really making me regret doing Day One buys.

Apparently Dynasty Warriors 9 has been getting a really woeful reception from fans of the series and musou games in general.

While there are many reasons that can explain how it turned out as such a poor product I believe that the main reason for it’s failings is that Affinity fucking cursed it by constantly shilling it on here.

Please don't give Saner the credit...............
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,078
    Skullboy wrote: »
    My review of Sonic Mania. Glad it's finally out of the way, give it a watch if you've got five minutes. Working on a DBFZ one next. :tup:

Nice production values
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,412
    edited February 14
    This gen has been very weird I find in comparison to last gen. The indie explosion with kickstarter along with the increased development time for Triple A games has meant a lot of the big games of this gen are retro or limited in scale in some way like Shovel Knight, Undertale, Binding of Isaac, Darkest Dungeon etc...

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU RIP Mahvel 2017-2017 Joined: Posts: 11,284
    edited February 14
    I don't think there's ever going to be a console generation as exciting as the last one

The mass spread of online services, the rise of digital distribution, the move towards more powerful systems and a massive graphical leap, and of course the official entrance into the HD era from the SD era

This generation just seems like small improvements here and there, even though there's still quite a jump in the console capabilities raw power speaking, but overall... I dunno, the industry is in a weird spot right now because it feels like these machines truly need quite a few more years for developers to make the most out of their hardware, yet if the rumors are of any substance the next generation is already on the horizon, which means yet another massive investment of several hundred dollars just to upgrade to a completely new system

It doesn't help that with the new Consoles the game budgets yet again will increase exponentially, which means there's going to be even less original projects and just more remasters and sequels
    Fighting Game Mains:
    - USFIV - Fei Long
    - SFV - Ryu
    - UMVC3 - Akuma/Iron Fist/Ghost Rider
    - KOFXIV - Ryo/Geese/Kim
    - Xrd - Ky & Kum
    - DBFZ* - Trunks/Yamcha/Gohan
    - UNI[ST]* - Enkidu
    - Tekken 7 - Hwoarang & Kazuya
    *to be purchased
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,385
    edited February 14
    wrong thread
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 9,114
    Looked up reviews and came across this gem.
    Gamersky - 北方凛

Koei wanted a brand-new look of Dynasty Warriors, so they decided to transform this game from an action game to an open world RPG. But this open world is like a rough stone, which has poor appearance and thoughtless design, with many boring side missions and too much time wasted on the way. The new combat system is fine, yet terrible graphics, tons of bugs, and low frame rates still ruined it, made this game a complete failure.

7 / 10.0
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU CALL IT A COMPLETE FAILURE AND THEN GIVE IT A 7 OUT OF 10.

Yeah so even more than normal I wouldn’t put any stock into reviews for this title because that’s sketchy as fuck.

Dynasty Warriors has always been like fighting games in a way. Reviewers often don't get them but players love them. If it's your jam, it's your jam, if not well... Plenty of other games.

I for the life of me can't play the Disgaea series but it's the same deal.
    2 Kings 2:24
  • nickmanx5nickmanx5 one day more than 3 people will watch my youtube Joined: Posts: 89
    last gen was alright to me i got to play a few interesting jrpg's/fighting games and square fumbling the final fantasy series allowed me to get into brands i prob would have never touched.
    youtube: jetstream gaming
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,078
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    I don't think there's ever going to be a console generation as exciting as the last one

The mass spread of online services, the rise of digital distribution, the move towards more powerful systems and a massive graphical leap, and of course the official entrance into the HD era from the SD era

This generation just seems like small improvements here and there, even though there's still quite a jump in the console capabilities raw power speaking, but overall... I dunno, the industry is in a weird spot right now because it feels like these machines truly need quite a few more years for developers to make the most out of their hardware, yet if the rumors are of any substance the next generation is already on the horizon, which means yet another massive investment of several hundred dollars just to upgrade to a completely new system

It doesn't help that with the new Consoles the game budgets yet again will increase exponentially, which means there's going to be even less original projects and just more remasters and sequels

I feel excitement is subjective. I will Admit going from Generation 7 to Generation 8 Consoles been lack luster, especially after the initial hype.
    We are in the land of diminishing returns, year we can make consoles at least twice as powerful every 5 to 10 years, but the results on paper are not the same results as we got onto the screen.

But to play devils advocate here The introduction of 7th Gen (PS3, Xbox 360) has the internet to drive the hype.

Third Generation consoles came in like a Lamb and out like a Lion (NES/Famicom, Sega Mark III/Master System, Atari 7800) after the industry Crash of 1983.
    The NES was the silent killer in terms of success which Rebooted the US market, and the Sega Master System was the only real competion Nintendo had. Atari on the other hand was it's last life line.

To me the Fourth Generation had the most Hype, Games that looked like the arcades, larger color pallets, Stereo sound, Sprites that can take up the whole screen. 4th Gen represented a Huge Leap in technology.
    And it didn't have the internet to carry it's hype. With the exception of the Philips CDi, even the failed consoles are Legendary (I.E. The Neo Geo and Turbo Grafix/PC Engine).
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 5,121
    edited February 14
    The Xbox One and PS4 haven't done anything to "wow" me at all - other than PSVR. For the most part it is basically the same shit we had on 360 and PS3 with better graphics. In some scenarios companies have even taken a massive step backwards. Hell after all this time, MS still can't figure out how to make a fucking dashboard. Their base dashboard was the blades one that came out when 360 launched and is better than the clusterfuck that is the X1 dashboard.

Look at SF5. Ignore whether you like the gameplay or not. Everything else about that game is a massive step backwards, other than possibly the netcode, which is still complete and utter shit. Okay so they switched to rollback based code - congrats. But they are too dumb to use an out of the box solution that works great and instead tried to build their own from the ground up that is complete ass. Everything else - UX, content, online presence and filters, etc - a complete step backwards.

If it wasn't for me basically randomly falling into trying out VR at the mall, then getting PSVR, I wouldn't be putting much time into gaming right now. I guess what I like about PSVR is that games are so much different to play in VR than not. It's not "more of the same" it's actually completely new experiences. Sure you have some games that are literally the old games with VR tacked on, but there are also incredible games built from the ground up for VR.

If you haven't seen it, I suggest you check out Moss. It's a 3rd person adventure game built from the ground up for VR where you control this little mouse but you are also the overlord of the world to help move objects and stuff to solve puzzles for the little mouse you control. Videos of that game don't really do it justice. It looks like a little kids story book game. But if you play it in VR I guarantee you will fucking love it. I can't wait for that game to come out in a couple weeks.
    Post edited by purbeast on
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,527
    PlayStation 2 to 3 was cool with HD graphics I guess, and the popularizing of online play. But really, the leap from Atari 2600 to Super Fucking Mario, and then from NES to Genesis and SNES, and finally bringing Mario into 3D platforming status- those leaps and bounds just aren't present anymore from console gen to console gen.

Call them gimmicks, but at least Nintendo is trying to be innovative in the way we interact with video games, with at least some modicum of success among its recent failures.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Goddamn you people are drunk off the Capcom-flavored Kool-aid (tastes like shit, I imagine)...
    RIP po 2018
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 889
    I don't think there is a greatest videogame generation as there are always favorites to be found in the plethora of games released for any given generation. I would rather not have to pick between my favorites of every generation so I won't.
    edited February 14
    I don't think there is a greatest videogame generation as there are always favorites to be found in the plethora of games released for any given generation. I would rather not have to pick between my favorites of every generation so I won't.

Yeah, and a lot of it is subjective. And that subjectivity has a lot to do with what generation you actually started playing video games. I was born in 1980, so as a small child I was playing Atari until my family could afford a NES in like '87 or so. That was an amazing Christmas.

And I'll never forget the feeling of seeing the Super Mario World TV commercial for the first time and getting goosebumps, marvelling at how it looked and sounded. Fucking Yoshi eating a key and finding a secret fucking kehole exit and shit.

When I first got my hands on Mario 64, it was like Dorothy entering the world of color for the first time. I hadn't felt that hype since watching the Wizard and seeing first footage of SMB3. I don't get many moments like that with games anymore. Maybe it's because I'm older and can buy whatever the fuck I want, or maybe there really aren't that many huge breakthroughs anymore.
    Goddamn you people are drunk off the Capcom-flavored Kool-aid (tastes like shit, I imagine)...
    RIP po 2018

I always do the same. I don't care for being loyal to a particular generation.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,523
    Yeah, there was always something in at least each generation since I started playing video games (the 16-bit era was my start).
    From getting wowed like crazy upon first booting up Kirby Super Star (was my first time playing a Kirby game, so that was one awesome first impression), to being absolutely sucked into the narrative that was the PSX Metal Gear Solid...
    to seeing Guilty Gear X2 in a game store and being so goddamn enthralled I later bought the game and held onto it before getting the PS2 console.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    I just realized my response to you @NeverYouMind didn't really have anything to do with you saying there's good stuff in all gens, which I can agree with.
    RIP po 2018
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,561
    Splatoon 2 is the first Switch game to reaxh 2 mil in Japan
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/02/14/splatoon-2-is-the-first-switch-game-to-sell-2-million-copies-in-japan

Gaf has an early exhibitor list for E3 2018
    https://www.neogaf.com/threads/e3-2018-early-floor-plans-and-exhibitor-list.1460989/

If you dont want to click the link because of Gaf AIDs then here
    505 Games
    Activision
    Aksys Games Localization, Inc.
    Atlus
    BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc.
    Bethesda
    Big Ben Interactive
    Capcom U.S.A., Inc.
    CD PROJEKT RED
    Click Entertainment
    Deep Silver, Inc.
    Dell Gaming
    dreamGear
    DXRacer
    Focus Home Interactive
    GAMELOFT
    GameSpot
    Gearbox Publishing
    Grey Box/Six Foot
    GungHo Online Entertainment
    Hori
    Hyperkin, Inc.
    InComm
    Kalypso Media Group
    Konami Digital Entertainment Inc.
    LF Gaming
    Little Buddy, LLC
    Mayflash Limited
    Mecca Electronics
    Microsoft Corporation
    MomoCon/Dragon Con
    Natsume Inc.
    nDreams Ltd
    Nintendo of America Inc.
    NVIDIA Corporation
    Performance Designed Products
    Psyonix Inc.
    R.D.S. Industries
    Rebellion
    ROCCAT
    Scarecrow Studio
    SEGA
    Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC
    Splash Damage
    Square Enix, Inc.
    Starbreeze Publishing AB
    Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
    Team 17
    Techland Publishing
    Tencent America LLC
    THQ Nordic
    Tobii
    Ubisoft Entertainment SA
    UCC Distributing Inc.
    Virtuos
    Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    Wish Interactive
    XSEED Games
    Xsens

Vids

Bonus

DF Bayonetta Switch

High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,622
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    Do you guys enjoy this generation more or did you enjoy last-gen more? There are rumors floating around that the PS5 will release in 2020 and that sounds believable to me. Thing is, I still feel like this gen has barely started.

I like last-gen a hell of a lot more than this one so far. Way more action games including FOUR Ninja Gaiden games, DMC4, Bayo, and a bunch of others like Splatterhouse and The Force Unleashed II. There are almost no new action games this gen outside of some re-releases. Outside of DOOM and Wolfenstein I enjoyed last-gens FPS games more as well, especially the multiplayer. Killzone 2 AKA Thrillzone 2 and Section 8: Prejudice were amazing, amazing games for MP. There were a ton more third-person shooters last-gen too, from the Dead to Rights reimagining, to Max Payne 3 and Vanquish and a hell of a lot more. Way more arcade racers too.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because my favorite genres were better represented last-gen but when I compare this gens library to last-gens as a whole I don't think so.

Tbh hard to say. I def have some fave titles that came out from last gen, but last gen was also a weird period where western games took over, now that isn't bad per say, but as a result of it you had less JP games coming, or JP companies feeling insecure or whatever and doing dumb shit like RE6. But I think last gen came out swinging a little better, this gen I legit feel did not really hit its stride until last year or 2016.

But that said there has been some games i have enjoyed VERY strongly from this gen such as HItman, Rocket League, and other random games. So I can't say forsure. I think I probably wont know for sure until this gen is over, because my opinion is a little swayed since its still active, and i can say this gen is good now but might feel it was shitty overall once it's over or vice versa. But gamewise there's been some good shit, but companies are still on some bullshit so idk.

edited February 14
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    If you dont want to click the link because of Gaf AIDs then here
    I just dont want to visit Gaf.

Also Lol with Hyperkin being present but Devolver Digital is never being allowed in.
    Devolver Digital had the best conference last year. I want them to do another one.
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ゆうしょう よゆうッチ! MOTHAF**CKA!! Joined: Posts: 3,572
    My review of Sonic Mania. Glad it's finally out of the way, give it a watch if you've got five minutes. Working on a DBFZ one next. :tup:

Your review was terrible, disliked

Too much zoolanderness for my taste :coffee:
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
    Devolver Digital had the best conference last year. I want them to do another one.

I liked how last year E3 parked those Tractor Trailers around so no one from E3 can see the Devolver Conference Flee market.
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 3,514
    TMNT are out for Injustice. You can try them out for free for a week

Turtles in Injustice 2, Monster Hunter World, and DBFZ!!

Pray for my PS4!! That shit is about to get worked this month.

DBFZ: 18, Hit, Gohan
    Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Akuma
  • SkullboySkullboy On Days Like These... Joined: Posts: 12,604
    edited February 14

Your review was terrible, disliked

Too much zoolanderness for my taste :coffee:

Seriously though, who is this poster and where is his mommy and daddy? Any of you guys know?

He's desperate for attention and needs parental supervision at all times.

89o.gif

Otherwise he's gonna shitpost all over your faces.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,622
    I wanted to know, it was last gen when games became mainstream? Or when I guess it evolved from being a "nerd hobby". I wanted to know how did that gen make that jump but ps2 gen didnt even tho the ps2 was huge during it's run.

Im thinking maybe its a change in marketing and the fact that the consoles could function more as actual home entertainment hubs.
    DrellyFish wrote: »
    I wanted to know, it was last gen when games became mainstream? Or when I guess it evolved from being a "nerd hobby". I wanted to know how did that gen make that jump but ps2 gen didnt even tho the ps2 was huge during it's run.

Im thinking maybe its a change in marketing and the fact that the consoles could function more as actual home entertainment hubs.

I think gaming became "not nerdy" when online gaming became "easy" to use. So I'd put that in the later time frame of the Xbox/PS2 era.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,423
    purbeast wrote: »

I think gaming became "not nerdy" when online gaming became "easy" to use. So I'd put that in the later time frame of the Xbox/PS2 era.

This is also the same time games became more mature and more "hollywood". It definitely laid the ground work for the gen that followed. I feel like online didn't really make it's mark until last gen even though Halo 2 alone was selling XBL accounts back before then.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

purbeast wrote: »

This is also the same time games became more mature and more "hollywood". It definitely laid the ground work for the gen that followed. I feel like online didn't really make it's mark until last gen even though Halo 2 alone was selling XBL accounts back before then.

Yeah I feel like Halo 2 was the pioneer of console online gaming. Also GTA3 was on PS2 and that was probably the first mainstream open world game like that, and it was "cool" because you could do a lot of bad shit in it.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,359
    edited February 14
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    Do you guys enjoy this generation more or did you enjoy last-gen more? There are rumors floating around that the PS5 will release in 2020 and that sounds believable to me. Thing is, I still feel like this gen has barely started.

I like last-gen a hell of a lot more than this one so far. Way more action games including FOUR Ninja Gaiden games, DMC4, Bayo, and a bunch of others like Splatterhouse and The Force Unleashed II. There are almost no new action games this gen outside of some re-releases. Outside of DOOM and Wolfenstein I enjoyed last-gens FPS games more as well, especially the multiplayer. Killzone 2 AKA Thrillzone 2 and Section 8: Prejudice were amazing, amazing games for MP. There were a ton more third-person shooters last-gen too, from the Dead to Rights reimagining, to Max Payne 3 and Vanquish and a hell of a lot more. Way more arcade racers too.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because my favorite genres were better represented last-gen but when I compare this gens library to last-gens as a whole I don't think so.

Last gen definitely still winning the action game category. Nothing has come close to that era of badassness. (Sorry Nioh) Fps still got ways to go this gen.

I feel open world definitely hit a leap last gen can't compare with though. Witcher, Horizon, Botw, etc.

RPGs doing amazingly well with Persona5, FFXV, World of Final fantasy, I am Setsuna, etc.

Don't forget the almighty Monster Hunter World!!!

Liked some shit gen more and others this gen. Feel like PS4 is hitting that stride PS3 hit where it was dropping hot shit left and right. This gen is just starting.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/20/13350476/sony-ps4-pro-mark-cerny-4k-games-psvr-graphics

Mark Cerny creator of the PS4 says there won't be a PS4 "pro" controller equivalent to Xbone's elite pad because Sony wants PS4 users to stay united and not divide them........despite having done exactly that already having PS4 and PS4 pro consoles :rofl:

I love it when corporate speak is outright blantant lies like who gets approved to say shit like this when it's not even confusing or complicated or clever? And why lie about the reason you're not making a more expensive controller? I really don't even get the benefit of lying here it's not a big deal either way. Will Sony stock really go down the shitter if they admit they just don't feel like making a better more expensive pad?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 4,359
    Ninja'd fuckin thank you.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Okay well then how would a PS4 pro pad divide the community anymore than PS4 pro console? what you said TGG doesn't change the fact Cerny outright lying for no reason about such a dumb trivial matter.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 10,090
    Okay well then how would a PS4 pro pad divide the community anymore than PS4 pro console? what you said TGG doesn't change the fact Cerny outright lying for no reason about such a dumb trivial matter.

It could as using an elite controller is better than a regular controller. There’s a difference. It’s essentially kb/m vs pad

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file