Video Game General 5.0: This thread is the MOST ULTIMATE THREAD!!! Other threads are sexist!!

Comments

• SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 34,908
    I'll say it again, I enjoyed the Adventures, but even I can admit they and every 3D Sonic game are at best average but ultimately never really represented what Sonic was about.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,309
    edited October 7
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Saitsu wrote: »
    If you don't think Sonic Adventure 2's Chao Garden was the best thing to ever happen to Sonic, I don't know what to tell you

If the best thing to happen to a franchise is something that is essentially unrelated to the franchise's main gameplay...that should tell you something right there.

And the only good thing about sonic that came out after Sonic 3 & Knuckles but before Mania was strangely the Cartoon show for Sonic Boom.

Sonic Generations was good. Sonic Unleashed was half good.

Edit: The Sonic Advance games were also great.
    I'll say it again, I enjoyed the Adventures, but even I can admit they and every 3D Sonic game are at best average but ultimately never really represented what Sonic was about.

The above two I mentioned did a good job, IMO. I'd love to hear how they didn't aside from not being 2D.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,386
    If you don't think Sonic Adventure 2's Chao Garden was the best thing to ever happen to Sonic, I don't know what to tell you

If the best thing to happen to a franchise is something that is essentially unrelated to the franchise's main gameplay...that should tell you something right there.

And the only good thing about sonic that came out after Sonic 3 & Knuckles but before Mania was strangely the Cartoon show for Sonic Boom.

Sonic Generations was good. Sonic Unleashed was half good.

Edit: The Sonic Advance games were also great.

The above two I mentioned did a good job, IMO. I'd love to hear how they didn't aside from not being 2D.

Okay I admit the Non-werehog parts of Sonic Unleashed wasn't bad, but a werehog really?

I feel Sega needs to let the Burst mechanic be it's own thing and not use nostalgia or some silly gimmicks as a crutch.
    Like Sonic Rush was going somewhere but the mechanic needs a some more polish but they are kneecapping it ever since.
    Every game that use the mechanic since didn't bother to work on it or work on it very much.

Advance games are good, I give you that. They brought their own thing but they also didn't forget what work for the Genesis.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,813
    edited October 7
    The problem with the 3D games is that Sonic Team insists on putting some kind of hackneyed gimmick in them that prevent you from running and jumping...
    They are so deathly afraid of just letting the game play out naturally, that they have to add a ton of silly shit like partners, half-assed brawling, sword-fighting, to disrupt the platforming and high speed sections.

Notice the games where they keep that shit to a minimum, i.e. Generations, Colors, the parts of Adventure and Unleashed that let you run, are the games most praised by players.

It's as if just focusing on solid platforming and multiple routes through levels that let you fly through as you learn them is what makes Sonic fun...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    Honestly, even the Sonic parts pale in comparison to MOST 2D Sonic games (there are obviously some really bad outliers, being 2D isn't an automatic slam dunk).

None of what I was saying was even referring to the non-Sonic parts of the 3D games because those go without saying.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,434
    Sonic can work in 3D but developers can't grasp the idea of flow and momentum GREATLY affect sonic games
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 24,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    owattjacob wrote: »
    Much of the games i wanted to play are slowly releasing relatively soon but Divinity OS 2 might take game of the year for me by a pretty large margin even then, it's been a long time a game exceeded my expectations.

Nier's alright, Nioh i need to go through the DLC but without it's decent with good potential. Horizon all the way at the bottom for me, some of the worst enemy variety i've seen in a long time from a AAA game and almost immediately have near endgame weapons as soon as you reach the first city. Was a 'fun in the beginning kind of game' for me.

Yakuza 0 is solid af.

I don't even think it's fair to compare divinity os2 to normal console games lol. Especially given the fact that you can make your own campaigns in it and dudes are rushing to churn content out for it which equals a hell of a lot of replay value. I can see some one modding this for pvp and having parties going against each other. So many possiblities with this game.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    ShogunZ wrote: »
    Po talking about GotY when he has *definitely* only played BotW and ARMS all year.

You think shit like No Man's Sky and DmC are "good games"...

Sit your five dollar ass down.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,819
    ...I guess I touched a nerve :sweat:

I dunno. I just didn't find Sonic Mania's levels fun to get through and I didn't like any of the boss fights. Unless I played Tails and flew around but that kinda defeats the point of learning the level.

So far I've enjoyed Freedom Planet more as a Sonic game.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed | Smash 4: Toon Link | Pokken: Braixen, DecidueyeGuilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto MvC:I - Zero, Strider
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)
    edited October 7
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Po talking about GotY when he has *definitely* only played BotW and ARMS all year.

You didn't deny his claims, though...

Of the game's I've played this year, Zelda and Horizon are the clear front runners. Persona isn't my kind of game, and I haven't played enough of NieR to make a fair judgement.
    I haven't played Divinity: OS 2 (and since you gush over it, I probably won't, lol)

So, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION (read that again, so you understand), I'd say Zelda wins out due to its beautiful artsyle and radical departure from Zelda norms while keeping the spirit of the series intact. Horizon comes close, but I caught myself legit smiling more times during my playthroughs of Zelda.

This is all moot anyway, seeing as how the year isn't over and theres still a certain game starring a certain Italian-American on the way...

I also find it funny that someone who celebrates indie games has had nothing to say about the old-school brilliance that is Cuphead, or spoken about Sonic Mania and Samus Returns beyond the fact they aren't pixelated rip offs made by some indie douche. Not to mention Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt...

..Oh wait. Those last three are exclusive to Nintendo, so fuck 'em, right?
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,893
    Dumb shit.

You don't play anything, so you have no idea what's good and what's not. Have you played Persona? Or Neir? How bout NioH? Oh, just Splatoon 2? (which by the way, a couple years ago your dumb ass scoffed at my idea of Nintendo putting out their take on the shooter genre...I win again you dumb prick)

Shut all the way the fuck up.

PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
    Game of all the years right here and it's fully endorsed by stickyjam who also supports stealthing.

I think this game is actually a stealthing simulator as seen in this video below.

Mains:
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    "Sonic should have never left 2D."

But then "oh well I like these 3D Sonic games".

Like... what?

Because one can only like impeccable games? I can like a game and objectively think it's bad.
    I like how halfway through that video it switches to Horizon Zero Dawn.

Oh snap these dudes have ANOTHER Persona game coming out? And a little treat for @The Martian ???

Mains:
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Enigmatic Gale Joined: Posts: 3,237

You didn't deny his claims, though...

Of the game's I've played this year, Zelda and Horizon are the clear front runners. Persona isn't my kind of game, and I haven't played enough of NieR to make a fair judgement.
    I haven't played Divinity: OS 2 (and since you gush over it, I probably won't, lol)
    If you're still using that potato that can't even run Melty Blood, you're not playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 anyway. Which is too bad, since given your love of BoTW, you clearly love open-endedness, creative freedom, environmental interaction, and not being told exactly where to go or what to do.
    I also find it funny that someone who celebrates indie games has had nothing to say about the old-school brilliance that is Cuphead, or spoken about Sonic Mania and Samus Returns beyond the fact they aren't pixelated rip offs made by some indie douche. Not to mention Blaster Master Zero and Mighty Gunvolt...

..Oh wait. Those last three are exclusive to Nintendo, so fuck 'em, right?
    Cuphead looks good, but it's not a priority purchase for me at the moment. Mania is a perfect game for old-school Sonic fans, but I'm not huge into old-school Sonic; I like faster platformers like Dustforce. Samus Returns is a huge step backwards compared to the new standards set by Axiom Verge (out on Switch right now! hint hint), and it's not even an indie game, so why is it on this list? And I'm pretty sure I already told you to play Mighty Gunvolt Burst if you're pining for Mega Man so much.
    Prove your justice to society.
    CHIEfy wrote: »
    "Sonic should have never left 2D."

But then "oh well I like these 3D Sonic games".

Like... what?

I see it like this, being only a 50% good game does not make the end product any good.
    Even colors and generations were at best a 50% good game, the garbage weighs everything else down.
    Infernoman wrote: »
    Sonic can work in 3D but developers can't grasp the idea of flow and momentum GREATLY affect sonic games
    They need to let their Burst Mechanic stand on its own. It needs to be more than 50% and it needs stop having nostalgia or some gimmick as a crutch.
    The Burst mechanic is a good one if sega allows it to get refined and polish, but they never put effort into that.

I dunno. I just didn't find Sonic Mania's levels fun to get through and I didn't like any of the boss fights. Unless I played Tails and flew around but that kinda defeats the point of learning the level.
    Get the fuck out.

• MarcOfTheBeastMarcOfTheBeast Joined: Posts: 288
    edited October 7
    So I played that Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta last night. And boy let me tell you, that game is going to be complete shit. The combat system is just weird as hell. I can't believe they actually want people to pay this $60 or $79.99(elite trooper edition) for this shit. Management had to be while overseeing this game.

Did anyone else play this? Maybe my expectations are too high-maybe I missing something......
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,819

Get the fuck out.

hmmm_____by_bookdust-d3ykbec.gif
    SFV: Ed | Smash 4: Toon Link | Pokken: Braixen, DecidueyeGuilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto MvC:I - Zero, Strider
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Get the fuck out.

http://iambrony.steeph.tp-radio.de/mlp/gif/hmmm_____by_bookdust-d3ykbec.gif
    No, seriously get the fuck out of here with that Taste Cancer.

Get the fuck out.

I don't like Sonic Mania.

If your soft-ass can't deal with it then you're the one who should leave :coffee:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Get the fuck out.

If your soft-ass can't deal with it then you're the one who should leave :coffee:

Funny how I could flip this to "I hate Capcpom" and be buried in under three minutes...
    edited October 7

Get the fuck out.

I don't give a shit what you like and don't like. No one here cares. No one making you like Mania. But to stand their and say what is universally panned as one of the best Sonic Games ever and you say they are awful and you think a Freedom Planet more Sonic than Sonic Mania? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense, but on top of that use had you use a MLP Reaction pic?

No, you don't get a fucking leg to stand on here. You have a track record of just hating on good games because they don't jive with your lack of sensibilities.

GET THE FUCK OUT
    Funny how I could flip this to "I hate Capcpom" and be buried in under three minutes...
    Why wait? Po, you are already holding the L. Show a little more sense that your stupid son LW here and accept it for once.
  • The MartianThe Martian We Out Here. Joined: Posts: 12,263

Get the fuck out.

Nothing funny about it. You're toxic about your opinion. LW isn't.

Pretty simple stuff, really.
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    PSN: Shadaloo_Martian

Get the fuck out.

I don't give a shit what you like and don't like. No one here cares. No one making you like Mania. But to stand their and say what is universally panned as one of the best Sonic Games ever and you say they are awful and you think a Freedom Planet more Sonic than Sonic Mania? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense, but on top of that use had you use a MLP Reaction pic?

No, you don't get a fucking leg to stand on here. You have a track record of just hating on good games because they don't jive with your lack of sensibilities.

GET THE FUCK OUT

500px-Blackquill_Laughing.gif

You moron, putting words in my mouth again.

All I'm doing is voicing my opinion; I don't like Sonic Mania, and the reasons for it. If I like a game, I say how I'm enjoying it. Same way everyone else here does. I'm not going to call something garbage just because I don't like it, or if I do think something is really bad, I'll have reasons for it; points that others can see and dispute if they don't agree. You know, civilized discussion.

I always try to be reasonable. I wish you would be too.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,155
    So I played that Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta last night. And boy let me tell you, that game is going to be complete shit. The combat system is just weird as hell. I can't believe they actually want people to pay this $60 or $79.99(elite trooper edition) for this shit. Management had to be while overseeing this game.

Did anyone else play this? Maybe my expectations are too high-maybe I missing something......

I feels very limited and stiff.

I'm going to preface this saying I only got to play Naboo. theres really no interesting tactics you can pull off as there's only one solution to the problem and that's to go on foot, fight through these narrow corridors, and hope an enemy doesn't blast you from behind.

You would go up in an aircraft and see completely empty skies because it was a complete waste of time as you couldn't do anything from the sky. there were no enemy vehicles to destroy only incredibly hard to hit troops that were almost always obscured in narrow alleyways.

On foot combat was the most basic thing ever. I'd play almost the exact same way despite what class I picked and none of them really synergiesd or needed the other. No medics, no support, had a sniper but since the whole map is closed off he's shooting at the same targets I am from the same distance.

Maybe that's how Battlegrounds was played online back then i never tried
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,932
    People are entitled to their opinion Darksakul. I love Sonic Mania and think the games comes pretty damn close to 3k and some days I may even say it sits evenly with it. Objectively though in comparison to the other games that have been released and are about to be released, this game will be lucky to even get a nomination for GOTY. Could maybe get nominated and possibly win best dl/digital title but this game is not going to be talked about in the same breath as BotW, Persona 5, and Horizon. And then you have other games that have more of a chance of getting at least nominated like Nier ( im not expecting this game to beat out the other games) and titles that still havent been released yet like SMO, Ass Creed if it actually winds up to be good, CoD which is finally going back to the boots to the ground that people have veen wanting for awhile, and finally xenoblade 2. All those games right now objectively have more going for them than Mania at the moment.
  • MarcOfTheBeastMarcOfTheBeast Joined: Posts: 288
    edited October 7
    @The Martian First off, it feels choppy as hell and the graphics are blurry, the team strategy to get points is just weird. You have to be on top of your teammates just to get extra points but it's a shooter why the hell would I want to do that???? Also, I like doing my own shit-I'm a better player that way. Yeah, I'm a lone wolf mother**** The different classes don't make any sense either, to be a sniper I have to choose that class? Wait what??? Now you have to earn extra points to get the "jetpack trooper". The previous title allowed you to select the jetpack as a star card. This game lacks focus overall, it's all over the place.
    Post edited by MarcOfTheBeast on
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,309
    I just wanna know if I can fuck shit up with Lightsabers more often than you could in the first game.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,146
    I agree with William. Sonic Mania just isn’t that good. I liked generations and colors more.

I even liked lost world more.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowsers Minions (3DS)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Ducktales (2017)
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

I agree with William. Sonic Mania just isn’t that good. I liked generations and colors more.

I even liked lost world more.

But we already know you hate fun, so that's about as shocking as Black Panther only having a bunch of slashing attacks for his moveset...
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,730
    So how did they manage to make a new Huniepop and make all the new girls even worse than the first one?