Video Game General 5.0: Tokyo Game Show 2017 9/22-9/24, Sony Conference 9/19 @ 12am PT/3am ET

Comments

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 9,047
    edited July 6
    Yeah as soon as I saw marina and Pearl I was like "ommmmggg amiibo please"
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - Sons of Anarchy

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,802
    Splatoon 2 has me way more hype than I was expecting. The only blemish is that god damn phone app. Shit is killing me everytime they mention it. Its like ants ruining a godlike picnic spread.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,198
    Finally started working through Rise of the Tomb Raider, ever since that Steam summer sale.
    Maxed out graphics settings...
    Lara has such perfect teeth!
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Tekken Bowl being paid dlc is wild..although Harada said that hes only doing DLC because fans were asking for it, so I feel like Tekken Bowl may not have been in the original plans for the game, but Im sure they decided on it early enough to be able to make it in the main game..
    Splatoon 2 direct

7/15 splatfest demo

Monster hunter world gameplay

Kirby blowout blast launch trailer

Shadow of war nemesis forge trailer

Main theme of sonic forces got put up and now has vocals and a name

'Fist Bump' feat Douglas Robb from Hoobastank
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge Poison To You Joined: Posts: 16,307
    Started witcher 3 and logged in a few hours last night. So uhh why does the "light" attack look like it should also be a heavy attack? Dude spins and shit before he swings the sword. The controls are kind of ass imo, but I'm getting use to it. Other than that the game is pretty good so far.
    It's your armor. IIRC they're divided by weight classes. Light/Medium/Heavy. If Geralt is spinning about, that's because his armor weight is light enough.
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    Started witcher 3 and logged in a few hours last night. So uhh why does the "light" attack look like it should also be a heavy attack? Dude spins and shit before he swings the sword. The controls are kind of ass imo, but I'm getting use to it. Other than that the game is pretty good so far.

As I said, combat sucks. There animations don't make any sense really and rolling has no invincibility period until fully upgraded. You have to roll waaaay early to actually dodge anything for example. What's good about it is all the tactical and strategic stuff. The actual actions aren't that great. The game gets way better when you become able to use and make potions and spells n shit.

Yeah, weapons only the combat is lacking. I didn't really feel like I was doing anything until I started mixing in magic, bombs, and potions.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,429
    edited July 6
    Because the Witcher fighting style described in the books is like a dance with lots of pirouettes and spins. It's lore accurate to the source material.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Black_JaguarBlack_Jaguar Mad skill Joined: Posts: 7,030
    Basic interview with Lord Boon about Sub-Zero, but he does confirm that Black Manta's shadow isn't a placeholder. He's in the game

• Black_JaguarBlack_Jaguar Mad skill Joined: Posts: 7,030

As I said, combat sucks. There animations don't make any sense really and rolling has no invincibility period until fully upgraded. You have to roll waaaay early to actually dodge anything for example. What's good about it is all the tactical and strategic stuff. The actual actions aren't that great. The game gets way better when you become able to use and make potions and spells n shit.

Most people who make this complaint are trying to play the game like Dark Souls. Until you get that maxed out upgrade, dodging isn't the end all solution to all your problems. You need to have dodged before the danger is present. It's what makes fights intense, having to slowly circle around and study a monster's movements instead of just waving your sword around until an animation cue tells you to hop through a giant's leg.

The dodge invincibility perk trivializes this game to a sad extent. Try fighting a Griffin with the perk vs one without it. It's a massive difference.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,943
    You don't need that evade perk in Witcher at all.

Having done three playthroughs for all the endings and the dlc I never upgraded it.

Roll + sidestep + studying the enemy movements is all you need.

Sword Combat in Witcher is good. Cleaving heads and limbs while weaving through enemies (without that useless as perk) is amazing.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    Useless is probably over doing it since its super fucking useful but yea you dont actually need it. You can have it maxed out by the 5th hour of a 100+ hour game to boot so it seems.like a stupid thing to harp on that hard.

I'm sorry Gasa but you just way off on this one.
    Because the Witcher fighting style described in the books is like a dance with lots of pirouettes and spins. It's lore accurate to the source material.

Exactly! I love the way Geralt fights, it fits the books perfectly.

I don't think too many people have actually read them and played the game though.
    edited July 6
    Useless is probably over doing it since its super fucking useful but yea you dont actually need it. You can have it maxed out by the 5th hour of a 100+ hour game to boot so it seems.like a stupid thing to harp on that hard.

I dunno, never felt it was worth a slot and 5 points. Even after you get extra slots I thought it was a bad pickup.

But I guess I could see why some might get it.
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,198
    Eskills wrote: »

I don't think too many people have actually read them
    and played the game though.

Of course not.
    Books r hard.
    Choppin' heds iz teh best.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
    edited July 6
    It gives your short dodge 100% invincibility, it's pretty hard to argue that is useless lol. Do you NEED it to progress? No, but is it useful? Yea quite a bit. I personally like it because it speeds the combat up and lets you be hella aggressive with your swords. You can do just as well playing methodically and not having it tho.

I mean honsetly you don't need any skill from the skill tree to progress, game be bested without spending a point.

Personally I really like the skills that let me stack multiple potions and Decoctions. Talk about OP lol.

It boils down to how you want to play which is the combat systems greatest strength, choice of playstyle.
    edited July 6
    Alchemy easily the strongest tree. My sword crits were doing 7k. :rofl:

So broken.

Agni was broke too until it got nerfed. Frozen aard made up for it though.
    Yea Alchemy Tree is deffintly the best of the 3 skill trees, but I think each one has it's merits. I've used all 3 of them and they all end up pretty powerful. What I think the real strength of Alchemy Tree is that it gives you the ability to take on shit way outside your level range. It broadens your hunting horizons so much and so early in the game. It's great.
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,690
    Where has the normal Rifle been all my life in Resident Evil 4? I fell for the semi-automatic meme when I was younger. Same with not using the Mauser instead of the Blacktail.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,045
    edited July 6
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEDv6KIXUAUykQK.jpg

Nintendo got black girls on lock this year :rofl:

Yea I need that Marina amiibo like right now.

Marina and Twintelle amibos will be bought with the quickness.
    I can also see Takamichi making new splatoon art with this reveal :lovin:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just got Shantae for Blaster Master Zero. This game was already one of my favorite titles of 2017 and it is nice to see Inticreates still supporting it with initial free DLC.

I'm not really sore on the different jump/landing/hit box of Crash in the N. Sane Trilogy. It was hardly a game breaker for me but if it is patched, I won't complain. You can bet peeps will still be crying about how hard Crash 1 is even if it is patched, though.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 6
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    THIS LEVEL IS HARD AS FUCK.

That last section in particular when they start repeating the icy bridge panels got me like...

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

Trying to use the ropes is getting me killed more than trying to use the normal route. Way too strict to do consistently.

Road to Nowhere, right? That level was crazy even in the original game. I'm amazed as passed that level as a teenager without knowing you could walk on the ropes. Time trial on that sucker is gonna be a nightmare.
    The High Road is ten times worse than Road to Nowhere.
    Post edited by ReggieHadoken on
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Shadow of Mordor is $4 on xbox rn and has a free to try thing until the 9th. I might just buy it. I would try first but dont wanna get caught up with starting a game thats a new purchase
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 6

And that's cool, but a light attack taking more time to animate than a heavy attack is nonsense. Like, if they want to do that they shouldn't make weapon combat actions be 1 to 1 as far as hit boxes and timings go, they should just make it a steady dps with fancy animations like an MMO or something. All they had to do was put the longer animations on heavy and make light always have shorter animations

Most people who make this complaint are trying to play the game like Dark Souls. Until you get that maxed out upgrade, dodging isn't the end all solution to all your problems. You need to have dodged before the danger is present. It's what makes fights intense, having to slowly circle around and study a monster's movements instead of just waving your sword around until an animation cue tells you to hop through a giant's leg.

The dodge invincibility perk trivializes this game to a sad extent. Try fighting a Griffin with the perk vs one without it. It's a massive difference.

Well the problem is that they made a combat system where whether attacks hit or not isn't based on rolls but on actually making contact and avoiding attacks. If it was all just dice rolls then sure, cause none of it would matter and it would purely be tactics and strategy, but it isn't. And yes I know the dodging works, which is why I said what I did. I know that it has no invulnerability so you have to make sure that their attack hitbox never overlaps your character, if you want to roll anyway.

Uhh, no, it makes fights dumb because if you're only using sword combat you can't actually dodge anything well. Literally any game that has good combat can have intense fights that require you to study and enemies movements, and that's WITH invulnerability on certain evasive actions. Granted, Witcher has decent blocking mechanics so once you add that in it really helps.

Yeah, I know what it's like, and that's my other complaint about it. It's either very situational or too powerful when fully upgraded.

You don't need that evade perk in Witcher at all.

Having done three playthroughs for all the endings and the dlc I never upgraded it.

Roll + sidestep + studying the enemy movements is all you need.

Sword Combat in Witcher is good.

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary either

Yeah, I understand why

Yeah, I understand that

I disagree that it's anything beyond passable, again, ONLY talking about the sword combat alone.

See above

I disagree

Yeah, and that's cool, I have no problem with matching the character's written style. That kind of thing is awesome. My problem is stuff like a light attack being able to have such incredibly wide variance in animation time. There is no consistence to the timings of the attacks at all. It's not even relative to distance from enemy, it just picks certain animations whenever it feels like it.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    Devs are lazy, nothing new here.

Their games not being able to run on a console because the hardware is weak is not lazy. Devs will need to make games specifically for it.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,322
    It's a combination of greed and laziness.

But hey, the Switch needs more power so it takes longer and costs more to develop games for it that won't hit simple performance benchmarks, yet for some reason devs will focus more on performance benchmarks than making fun and compelling software, amirite?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Justice Has Prevailed! Joined: Posts: 3,214
    Whenever a problem comes up in game development, "lazy developers" is almost never the reason for those problems.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,905
    edited July 7
    I love me some Nintendo but they actually shoot themselves in the feet as much as they possibly can when it comes to third parties.

Its almost always Nintendo's fault for poor third party support
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    edited July 7
    po pimpus wrote: »
    It's a combination of greed and laziness.

How is it a combination of any of those? How for example EA lazy if the Switch can't run their in-house engine Frostbite which is used for all their games? How much do devs actually have to spend on developing different versions when PS4 and Xbone are using near identical PC hardware and architecture? A company is greedy for having one less platform to put their product on? Explain to me how the does that make any sense.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,690
    Doesn't seem that long since Nintendo had the best version of Resident Evil 4, but it's been like 10 years. Either way, Nintendo's selling point is always gonna be their big names. I dunno if Splatoon wasn't a Nintendo thing and was made by Sony or Microsoft, if it would be blowing it up like Splatoon is right now. Same when Sony tried to make their own Smash, and it was dead on arrival. Nintendo has their own appeal, and being on par for the multiplatform games is not it.
    I really don't have any sort of faith in 3rd parties for Nintendo regardless of them having the power to do whatever they want or not. There's been enough times where a game should be on their platform and 3rd parties just don't put it on there. One of the reasons why I always buy either Microsoft's or Sony's platform to go with Nintendo's so I can catch most of the exclusives that I want. P-Switch (that's what I'm calling the setup especially since it's kind of a mario pun) is the way to go this generation imo.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,322
    edited July 7
    It's the console being weak as per usual with Nintendo. It's not the devs being lazy or greedy.... Nintendo is just always behind their competitors. When they start making decent consoles, 3rd parties won't have an issue making games for them.

Until then, stop making excuses for the shit they pull every gen.

Gamecube was the most powerful console of its gen. It got ass and shit for third party support outside the Capcom Five, which all got ported elsewhere anyway.

Try again.

Power doesn't make games better, more replayable, original, engrossing, or fun. Creativity, gameplay, and talent do.

Not wanting to make games that take advantage of the hardware's specialties and just wanting to port the same shit to every console sounds like laziness and greed to me.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10