Video Game General 5.0: Tokyo Game Show 2017 9/22-9/24, Sony Conference 9/19 @ 12am PT/3am ET

Comments

• FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,200
    Third parties usually put gimped versions of their multi-platform games on nintendo consoles anyways. And I'm not talking about performance-wise either. I'm talking missing features and modes. Either that or they'll just do a lazy port of a 2-3 year old game. Third-party support my ass.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,024
    Wasn't PS3 technically more powerful than 360? And a lot of 3rd parties ran better on 360 because MS was easier to develop on because of reasons @Darksakul could probably explain in depth.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,220
    po pimpus wrote: »
    It's the console being weak as per usual with Nintendo. It's not the devs being lazy or greedy.... Nintendo is just always behind their competitors. When they start making decent consoles, 3rd parties won't have an issue making games for them.

Until then, stop making excuses for the shit they pull every gen.

Gamecube was the most powerful console of its gen.

Try again.

Power doesn't make games better, more replayable, original, engrossing, or fun. Creativity, gameplay, and talent do.

No it wasn't. OG Xbox was the most powerful console of it's gen.

Oh yeah. GC the most powerful console of its gen THAT DIDN'T THREATEN TO EXPLODE IF YOU PLAYED FOR MORE THAN THREE HOURS.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,462
    edited July 7
    The whole situation has gotten me to think about something though...what games out there do you guys feel are true next-gen experiences? Strip the visuals out of the equation and focus purely on the gameplay; what games would you put on a list of "this experience wouldn't be possible on a weaker console."

Like, I didn't feel that Final Fantasy XV was a next-gen experience outside of how good it looked. But from what I've heard about Shadow of Mordor, that could fit the bill of what I'm referring to, with how complicated its AI system is.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,933
    edited July 7

Not wanting to make games that take advantage of the hardware's specialties and just wanting to port the same shit to every console sounds like laziness and greed to me.

The Switch main hardware specialty is using it as a portable. The HD rumble isn't worth extra development to add and motion controls for games that wasn't developed for it in mind always end up being shit.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 7
    I love me some Nintendo but they actually shoot themselves in the feet as much as they possibly can when it comes to third parties.

Its almost always Nintendo's fault for poor third party support

I don't think nintendo really wants 3rd party support.

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,769
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Wasn't PS3 technically more powerful than 360? And a lot of 3rd parties ran better on 360 because MS was easier to develop on because of reasons @Darksakul could probably explain in depth.

Ps3 was a stronger console but the cell chip was apparently a bitch to develop on and the 360 was easy to dev for and ran games faster. 1st parties put in the work of course on the system to get the juice out but 3rd parties that didn't want to put in that extra effort struggled and with most cases didn't bother trying to make use of the extra power since the ps3 was behind for what..5 years of that generation? Wasn't until the latter half of the generation that devs seem to get a grip on the system and just offloaded some of the stuff onto the harddrive iirc.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,583
    edited July 7
    The whole situation has gotten me to think about something though...what games out there do you guys feel are true next-gen experiences? Strip the visuals out of the equation and focus purely on the gameplay; what games would you put on a list of "this experience wouldn't be possible on a weaker console."

Like, I didn't feel that Final Fantasy XV was a next-gen experience outside of how good it looked. But from what I've heard about Shadow of Mordor, that could fit the bill of what I'm referring to, with how complicated its AI system is.

The problem with this gen is that last gen really optimized gaming. How it plays and feels, aesthetics, voice acting, etc. This has been the smallest jump in gaming generations so basically a new experience is something that has to feel grand. Problem is, outside of how pretty it looks, what would one consider that next gen experience?

There's horizon zero dawn, there is overwatch i guess. There really isnt going to be much difference this gen compared to last gen outside of basically improved quality. Even with improved AI, you're not going to feel that experience

There are very high quality games but i dont think we'll get anything that truly says "next gen" because gaming was so optimized last gen and all we can expect is just higher quality aesthetics basically.

The only thing i see is if VR really takes off

Gamecube had no 3rd party support because they used a different media than ps2 and xbox did and Nintendo didn't help the companies in acquiring those discs.
    edited July 7
    All I know is there wouldn't have been a Viewtiful Joe or RE 4 without the Gamecube.

Capcom was not about to take those kinds of risks on a PS2 or Xbox.

Wonderful 101 and No More Heroes wouldn't have happened without Wii U and Wii respectively.

Next gen to me is about more than looking pretty. Is your shit optimized? Did you compress the files well, so I'm not looking at a 50 gig install? Are the load times minimal? CAN IT MAINTAIN 60FPS?

How are we in 2017, with Ultra Mega Hyper Editions of consoles featuring Dante of the Devil May Cry Series and Knuckles and still not optimized on frame rates?

Why does Chun-li look like this?
    maxresdefault.jpg

It damn sure isn't because we "need more power" like Vergil...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,210
    Is it just me, or can you not skip the intro to the N-Sane Trilogy? That's annoying...
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    edited July 7
    Ex Bioshock devs announce game called City of Brass
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/06/ex-bioshock-devs-announce-city-of-brass

coming to PC, PS4 and Xbone

vids

Apparently Pac-Man Vs will have a form of download play on Switch

App will need to be downloaded for it.

Gundam Versus - Game Mode Trailer

XCOM 2 War of the Chosen - Inside Look The Skirmisher

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus – Liesel Video

Minecraft: Story Mode Season 2 - Official Trailer

MASS EFFECT™: ANDROMEDA Multiplayer: Be the Batarian Scrapper

Destiny 2 – Official Open Beta Launch Trailer

July 18

Warriors All-Stars - Kasumi_Honoka Highlight!

The hell are those slime looking enemies Kasumi is fighting?

Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2 - DB Super Pack 4 Launch Trailer 2

Call of Duty® Infinite Warfare – Absolution Trailer

• drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 7

For me nothing seems next gen outside of the way some games look. Nothing has blown me away with something new and awesome, something that I gotta have. I'm still stuck in last gen because there is just so much from that gen that I still have to play. And its good shit.

Edit - If the Switch could get games like Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock games, and such I would buy that shit with the swiftness. Just the thought of being able to play those on the go seems pretty damn cool. I gives no fucks that they're old games.
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,925

Horizon Zero Dawn, easily.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,024
    Yeah, Horizon is pretty amazing. Especially with HDR.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,387
    So been playing Red Dead Redemption a bit these past few days and I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't feel like "western gta" to me...even tho I've heard people say its that, but I think they only say that BECAUSE its Rockstar. But imo it just feels like what a western game would be like. But one thing that really stands out to me to is the voice acting and dialog. Like they do talk cowboy-ish and etc, but it feels very natural and normal and its cool to hear the conversations between the people.

Not even tho the map isn't flooded with hella side shit and chaotic things to do, it doesn't feel like the map is there for nothing, that helps really put you in the setting, because back then people did have to ride around for a while to get somewhere and etc. And the game even makes me cautious about how I handle stuff like bounties or stopping a dude from attacking a woman and etc. Very cool game. Not to mention the cast so far has been cool, and I'm like John a lot as a protagonist.
    Nintendo Switch Online launches July 21
    http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Nintendo Switch Online launches July 21
    http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

It's not going to be powerful enough...
    Multiplats can go shitbox, ps4 and PC but if they say the Switch is too weak for them to port it's cause they are lazy and greedy.

Stfu Po.

I wonder if you're aware that you blindly shill for Nintendo the way deviljin shills MvCi.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,836

PS3 has weirdly exotic hardware that hard to program for, Plus alot of Xbox 360 games got developed for Windows as well so the SDK is very similar.
    Less time got spend rewriting code for the Xbox 360 ports to PC or Vice versa compared tot he PS3 hardware.
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Wasn't PS3 technically more powerful than 360? And a lot of 3rd parties ran better on 360 because MS was easier to develop on because of reasons @ Darksakul could probably explain in depth.

Ps3 was a stronger console but the cell chip was apparently a bitch to develop on and the 360 was easy to dev for and ran games faster. 1st parties put in the work of course on the system to get the juice out but 3rd parties that didn't want to put in that extra effort struggled and with most cases didn't bother trying to make use of the extra power since the ps3 was behind for what..5 years of that generation? Wasn't until the latter half of the generation that devs seem to get a grip on the system and just offloaded some of the stuff onto the harddrive iirc.

Not to mention the extra expansion chips almost no 3rd party dev uses.

Another issue for the Switch is the PS4 and Xbox One, and PC Runs on X86 Processors, the Switch runs on a Arm Processors.
    There is less code rewriting for the porting of games to PS4, Xbox One and PC than there is for the Switch. (Different Processor requires completely different calls and such).

At least Nintendo did do the smart thing and Jump on Vulkan (add it to their Dev kits), that API would give devs a easier time porting other Vulkan games from different systems over to the Switch. Less Code is rewired to be rewritten for order it to be ported. Vulkan is already used for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and I think now the PS4.

Source - https://www.khronos.org/members/list

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Eskills wrote: »
    Multiplats can go shitbox, ps4 and PC but if they say the Switch is too weak for them to port it's cause they are lazy and greedy.

Stfu Po.

I wonder if you're aware that you blindly shill for Nintendo the way deviljin shills MvCi.

If you guys had the balls to shit on Capcpom the way you constantly do Nintendo, we might have gotten a Marvel game worth a damn instead of Infinite DLC.

The more you deflect, the more apparent it becomes that you are indeed blindly defending the company.

Let's try to stay on topic.

Since we already know why you think 3rd party devs don't put their games on Nintendo consoles, tell us why Nintendo consistently releases consoles weaker than their competitors' even when theirs comes out afterwards.

edited July 7

Stfu Po.

If you guys had the balls to shit on Capcpom the way you constantly do Nintendo, we might have gotten a Marvel game worth a damn instead of Infinite DLC.

Your hate boner for Capcom isn't letting your brain function. The shit you spew gets dumber every time "Capcom" is in your post. Fuck you're such an idiot :rofl:

You guys? Dumbass SFV is shit, I never bought sf4(you did though :coffee: ), and I'm not buying MvCi.

Now make some fucking sense. We're talking about ninty still using weakass shit hoping for 3rd party.
  • drizzt360drizzt360 In the shadows I hide-ppd Joined: Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like that in Red Dead Redemption shit is always going on, even when you're just riding from one place to the other. You'll be riding and hear gunshots so you look around and see two dudes chasing after some other dude. Its two law dudes after an outlaw. You go after the outlaw and rope him and ride him back to the law. You drop him down and one of the cops just executes the dude. You think its funny then suddenly a cougar eats your horse and the cops then turns on you...
    when I die... may there be friends who will grieve for me,who will carry our shared joys and pains, who will carry my memory
    This is the immortality of the spirit, the ever-lingering legacy, the fuel of grief.
    but so, too, the fuel of faith
    -Drizzt Do'Urden

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

Stfu Po.

The more you deflect, the more apparent it becomes that you are indeed blindly defending the company.

Since we already know why you think 3rd party devs don't put their games on Nintendo consoles, tell us why Nintendo consistently releases consoles weaker than their competitors' even when theirs comes out afterwards.

I already spelled this out for you, and a casual glance at the current market should tell you that power ain't worth a shit.

If it were, the NES wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, and the SNES and Genesis should have lost to the NEO GEO.

If power was all that was needed, people wouldn't be going insane over the NES and SNES Mini.

Power when properly utilized enhances what should already be there- strong, well-made software.

The original Pokemon games are a coding mess, but they spawned a billion dollar franchise... There are a ton of PS 1, N64, and Dreamcast games that have aged like stale milk that no one even wants to look at now because all anyone cared about was polygons, yet Symphony of the Night still looks decent.

Power don't mean shit.
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,387
    Tbh in regards to Nintendo 3rd party, devs just have to make shit that appeals to what people buy Nintendo consoles for. Like even if say the Switch had ps4 install or even x1 install base, i still dont think that stuff like A. Creed, Destiny and etc would sell on those consoles because i doesnt appeal to Nintendo fans. Same thing with jrpgs on xbox. Nintendo fans like cartoony shit. Even someone is a multi console owner, they would still prefer the cartoony shit on the Nintendo console vs a ps or xbox. I mean SEGA even said Sonic performs better with the Nintendo audience, and you see how he looks compared to a GTA character or etc.

But whether or not devs wanna take that time and gamble to make Nintendo-appealing games when its much safer to make a Destiny or etc for the other consoles where theres guaranteed sales, is totally up to the dev
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,836
    edited July 7
    I already spelled this out for you, and a casual glance at the current market should tell you that power ain't worth a shit.
    PS3 early life cycle proved that, but they edged out on top near the end.
    If it were, the NES wouldn't have lasted as long as it did
    it lasted as long as it did as Nintendo had near no competition in 1985 In the US. The Video Game Crash of 1983 left the market broken, Nintendo decided to market the NES as an Appliance not a Toy, which why they were successful when Atari failed. And Nintendo used alot of unfair and unscrupulous business practices that would never fly today.
    and the SNES and Genesis should have lost to the NEO GEO.
    Actually the Neo Geo was way too over priced, and the US distributors didn't know shit about marketing.
    If power was all that was needed, people wouldn't be going insane over the NES and SNES Mini.
    Nostalgia is a thing.
    The original Pokemon games are a coding mess, but they spawned a billion dollar franchise...
    The original Red and Green Japanese carts were a mess, the US Red and Blue that Iwata fixed was fine.
    There are a ton of PS 1, N64, and Dreamcast games that have aged like stale milk that no one even wants to look at now because all anyone cared about was polygons, yet Symphony of the Night still looks decent.
    Unrelated to the debate
    Power don't mean shit.
    Actually it does, it means alot to the devs and to the gamers. otherwise we wouldn't have graphic whores.

Your hate boner for Capcom isn't letting your brain function.
    If I had his Hate Boner, I would be a Porn star.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."

Stfu Po.

If it were, the NES wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, and the SNES and Genesis should have lost to the NEO GEO.

Power when properly utilized enhances what should already be there- strong, well-made software.

The original Pokemon games are a coding mess, but they spawned a billion dollar franchise... There are a ton of PS 1, N64, and Dreamcast games that have aged like stale milk that no one even wants to look at now because all anyone cared about was polygons, yet Symphony of the Night still looks decent.

Power don't mean shit.

You didn't answer the question.

Power means a lot when an artist has a vision that can only be realized under specific conditions. If I want my game to perform a certain way, I'm going to gravitate to the platform that allows it to perform that way. Why water it down or adjust it to fit a platform that doesn't even want it? It doesn't make me lazy or greedy, but a person with standards. Hell, if anyone's greedy, it's Nintendo for releasing all that overpriced trash they call a console and it's peripherals.

I'm not saying that power makes a game or console good, so we can stop with that narrative.

edited July 7

Microsoft wouldn't be pushing 6 teraflops for the Xbone X, Sega won't have use blast processing for their marketing for the Genesis and Nintendo wouldn't have named a console after how many bits it's capable of if powerful hardware didn't appeal to people.

Neo Geo console and it's games were expansive af. The fucking thing was $649 when they released the AES in 91.

Nostalgia sold those plug-in plays
    Power don't mean shit.

The Switch wouldn't be struggling to get third party games if that were true.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    edited July 7
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    Started witcher 3 and logged in a few hours last night. So uhh why does the "light" attack look like it should also be a heavy attack? Dude spins and shit before he swings the sword. The controls are kind of ass imo, but I'm getting use to it. Other than that the game is pretty good so far.
    Because the Witcher fighting style described in the books is like a dance with lots of pirouettes and spins. It's lore accurate to the source material.

And that's cool, but a light attack taking more time to animate than a heavy attack is nonsense.
    Except that's not how It works...Light attacks execute faster and recover faster then heavies do.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    The funny thing is outside of Horizon, who is even pushing the power we have now?

I don't see shit out now that couldn't be on a PS3 or 360. This "artists vision" shit is a smokescreen.

Dudes hadn't even fully tapped what last gen could do before talking about they needed more, aka, "we don't have any innovative ideas, so let's push for a new gen to buy time".
    More sidestepping.....

Eh, fuck it. I think the FFXIV maintenance is over now, so back to that.

360 was tapped out by the time we got Gears 3.
    edited July 7
    I guess PS4 and Xbone are tapped too since no one can maintain stable framerates and fidelity...

Oh, and all fighters have native 5+ frames of input lag for whatever reason.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,361
    edited July 7
    Damn then the Switch must be completely fucked.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited July 7
    Oh, and all fighters have native 5+ frames of input lag for whatever reason.

Seriously, are you actually going to rebuttal or will you continue to sidestep shit?
    Damn then the Switch must be completely fucked.

Didn't you know? It's all fucked.

If you can't do 4k and have a real Porsche, your game is useless!

Who cares about how shit plays or if it's fun and fully featured, only power and how much you make off DLC matters!