Why 'Infinite' and not '4'?

MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,005
What's the reason of the change of title?

Do you think it's because it breaks the progression of the series by bringing back 2-characters teams?

Can it be considered a spinoff/detour?

Is it because of the new "DLC/constant updates" model?

Is there going to be a "MvC4" eventually?

Comments

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Probably because Capcom wants to reboot it already.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,005
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    How a "reboot"? It's not like these games have a story or continuity...
  • JoprarisJopraris I´m lovin´ it Joined: Posts: 19
    Infinite DLC's XD
  • RubedoRubedo #RalenzoHasNoSoul Joined: Posts: 128
    Reboot, Dan Slott had to stupid idea of killing off MvC's version of Spider-Man.
    After the E3 I wish the pulled out this 'MvC: Infinity' as a joke and then they'll release a true Marvel vs Capcom 4 for us to forget forever this garbage.
  • flickyflicky Super Nintendo Chalmers Joined: Posts: 889
    edited June 15
    I honestly would have preferred plain old "Marvel Super Heroes 2: Infinity", and just had all Marvel characters, then Marvel/Disney wouldn't have had any conflict with the Capcom side of things and the team could have just worked to their standards without complications.

The majority of the Capcom roster do absolutely nothing for me at all, it's like they chose the most generic, boring and unrelevant characters possible, Ryu, Chunli, Morrigan, Spencer, Arthur, Dante, they didn't even honour their reboots. The only Capcom characters that interest me are X and Sigma, probably because that's all we've wanted for the past five years. Why infinite? Probably because it's a MSH game with Capcom characters in it, not a proper MvC game.
  • dodgers2213dodgers2213 Joined: Posts: 3,028
    Sigma is day 1 DLC hahaha
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,807
    LMAO, is this nigga flicky implying that Capcom should honor that super massive garbagestic reboot that it was DmC?????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 9,628
    Japan has long held a national fear of the number 4 ever since emperor meiji was attacked by a 4 sengoku jidais in his place of kamurocho
    Hecatom wrote: »
    LMAO, is this nigga flicky implying that Capcom should honor that super massive garbagestic reboot that it was DmC?????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The more rofls you put in to it doesn't make it any more funny or threatening you know? I was highlighting Capcom's ghastly mistakes how they can't even stick to their own decisions you dumb ass. I'm getting the idea you piss the bed because you seem a bit premature, should probably get that looked at.
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Hecatom wrote: »
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hey look I can do it too! I guess I'm not as retarded as I thought, I'm normally retarded!
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    I find it incredibly stupid how peIople think an entry isn't mainline because it doesn't have a number.

That usually means it isn't. It's an educated assumption.

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

Let's just call it "Marvel Super Heroes 2."
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,866
    edited June 19
    I find it incredibly stupid how peIople think an entry isn't mainline because it doesn't have a number.

That usually means it isn't. It's an educated assumption.

No it's not. I can understand if people don't think something isn't mainline if it's dramatically different from the other games in the same series or if they got a different studio to develop it. Having a number or subtitle on the game's title is not significant enough to warrant distinction. Sometimes a series will drop the number in favor of subtitles. There will be other series that will bringing in numbering when it never had it before. That's not going to tricky stuff like flip flopping between the two and developing a sub-series within the mainline.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • AgiezeAgieze Joined: Posts: 316
    edited June 19

Disney wants to reboot the Marvel part in the VS game, imho the goal being that ultimately the "Marvel" roster fits the settings of "Infinite Comics" digital publications by Marvel.
    Let's just hope later iterations of Marvel vs Capcom stay as far as possible form the concept of the past Disney infinity games .
    “And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that,” states Ong. “There’s going to be content released over time. We’re not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it’s a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what’s going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there.”

http://shoryuken.com/2017/06/26/marvel-gamess-jay-ong-on-their-changed-approach-to-games-and-how-that-affects-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite/

Now I know why they're calling it "infinite"... you'll keep on paying DLCs from here to infinity!!
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 697
    edited June 30
    Infinity Wars films coming out soon. Marvel wanted the MvC series to reflect the MCU. And emphasis on the infinity gems mechanics.

And to separate the reboot from identity of current series.
    Post edited by YawDan on
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,196
    Won't stop, cause it can't stop

Infinite
    edited June 29
    On a side note, Marvel and Capcom are revisiting the roots of the Vs series telling the story of how the two universes came together, so hypothetically this is a sequel to Marvel Super Heroes and a prequel to X-Men Vs Street Fighter. Not that there is a canon, nor is this KoF, but you could argue that this game isn't a "dream match" like MvC2 perhaps is.

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Dream_Matches

Edit: Lol thinking on that I guess it is a dream match as some of the characters are dead lol.