In darkness, a hero returns. The Castlevania Netflix series

DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs meJoined: Posts: 22,856
edited May 25 in General Discussion
Rumors going around that there was going to be a Castlevania series on Netflix.

Then today I found out their is already a trailer for it

The show will debut on July 7
Produced by Adi Shankar
Written by Warren Ellis
and being animated by Frederator Studios

Post edited by Darksakul on
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,949
    It boggles my mind that Konami is doing jack shit to promote this series.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • pedoviejopedoviejo Thuggin in da Kitchen Joined: Posts: 13,848
    Tell me more
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Complete my life Capcom, and make a Megaman Legends 3 exclusive for PS4. Do it, do it for the glory that should be and would be.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,856
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/castlevania/262088/netflixs-castlevania-trailer-release-date-story-everything-else-we-know

The show is said to premiere on July 7, 2017 on Netflix, it roughly follow the plot of Castlevania III on the NES (Akumajou Densetsu in Japan)
    Castlevania animated series follows "the last surviving member of the disgraced Belmont clan, trying to save Eastern Europe from extinction at the hand of Vlad Dracula Tepe himself."
    Also official poster Art
    tVGG_31872.jpg

• The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,721 mod

This is just further proof of how terribly far Konami has fallen really, as if we had not already been given far too much evidence of that in the past decade or so.

The thing that surprises me the most if that this is already in English as well. The hell? I suppose it should not be too surprising given it is on Netflix, but it's just super weird given how this seemingly came out of nowhere.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    The Damned wrote: »
    The thing that surprises me the most if that this is already in English as well. The hell? I suppose it should not be too surprising given it is on Netflix, but it's just super weird given how this seemingly came out of nowhere.
    The show is a US production, Frederator is the studio doing the animation

Shankar suggest the show will take notes from Game of Thrones for tone and atmosphere or as Shankar calls it "R-rated as fuck".

This is just further proof of how terribly far Konami has fallen really, as if we had not already been given far too much evidence of that in the past decade or so.

This didn't come out of nowhere. This has been in development since 2007. It was originally going to be released as a series of direct to DVD movies.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,925
    Hype!!!
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,721 mod
    edited May 25

This didn't come out of nowhere. This has been in development since 2007. It was originally going to be released as a series of direct to DVD movies.

Huh. Good to know. Despite being apparently stuck in development hell for a decade, the trailer actually looks rather promising instead of it just getting Duke Nuke'em Forever'd.

Darksakul wrote: »
    The show is a US production, Frederator is the studio doing the animation

Shankar suggest the show will take notes from Game of Thrones for tone and atmosphere or as Shankar calls it "R-rated as fuck".

Well I figured it was a US production as soon as I heard English; it was just weird to me since Konami, at base, is still a Japanese company (which is a large part of the modern problem with it unfortunately) and, subsequently, Castlevania is primarily a Japanese product that just takes 99% of its influence from European aspects.

Still, this is also good to know. If main branch Konami isn't really involved, then as much as the lack of promotion might hurt it (though Netflix is at least promoting it), that might ultimately be for the best given Konami's many bad decisions in the past decade.
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

orrrr netflix is such a machine it doesnt need to. i dunno that trailer sells itself.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,381 mod
    At this point, the less associated it is with Konami, the better.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • SonicabidSonicabid Mundus VS Devil Trigger Vergil Joined: Posts: 12,112
    Definitely based on CVIII, pretty sure that's Sypha, Grant, Trevor and Alucard in the teaser.

The trailer was so hype it brought @The Damned back to life. :rofl:
  • DimfishDimfish Joined: Posts: 360
    edited May 25
    Also official poster Art
    tVGG_31872.jpg

shiiiit, someone let me know if a wider shot hi res version of that pops up because thats desktop background material
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    fucking hell.

never thought that this would be out at all. animation is top notch, the tone and atmosphere is on point and i hope the soundtrack will be faithful to the game series. adi shankar as a producer is kinda underrated since he 's so hyped with the stuff he's cooking up (i remember him so pumped up when they were promoting the r-rated power/rangers back then). if the 2012 dredd film is anything to go by, this will be a hit.

fuck capcpom.

er, i meant konami.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    Definitely based on CVIII, pretty sure that's Sypha, Grant, Trevor and Alucard in the teaser.

The trailer was so hype it brought @The Damned back to life. :rofl:

Meh. I'm still dead, especially on the inside, @Sonicabid.

Also I've been back for about a month; I just haven't been posting all that much in general and haven't posted in the Lounge at all as of yet.

- P. G. Wodehouse
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,376
    Dimfish wrote: »
    Also official poster Art
    tVGG_31872.jpg

shiiiit, someone let me know if a wider shot hi res version of that pops up because thats desktop background material
    I'm using it on my Phone currently.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Dimfish wrote: »
    Also official poster Art
    tVGG_31872.jpg

I'm using it on my Phone currently.

I think it make for a sweet phone wallpaper
    Reminder that the Netflix series drops tomorrow.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    pretty hyped for this. going into the weekend i'm like

giphy.gif
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    I watched the first episode. If your into Castlevania lore then you'll love this show.
    Episode one expands on Lisa relationship with Dracula. She was a doctor who sought out Dracula for his knowledge. Dracula was impressed with how she showed no fear of him and let her use his lab. A few years later she gets burned at the stake when her medical equipment is mistaken for witchcraft. We get to see Alucard briefly.

Warren Ellis knows his Castlevania.
    Man that 1st episode.
  • GreyFoxxGreyFoxx R.I.P Brother. Joined: Posts: 4,437
    Eskills wrote: »
    Man that 1st episode.

First ep held nothing back. Man this series has a mighty need for some whip slaying in my veins!
    After the first episode I can't see Dracula as the villain at all.
    edited July 7
    This series is off to an amazing start.
    Holy shit that fight with Alucard in Episode 4!

I need more!
    edited July 7
    Did anyone else want a Medusa head to show up when Trevor and Sypha was in the clockwork portion of the catatombs? I wanted one to fuck their shit up during it's collapse

I hope that Grant shows up in season 2. I don't want him being cut.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,642
    edited July 7
    I watched the first episode. If your into Castlevania lore then you'll love this show.
    Episode one expands on Lisa relationship with Dracula. She was a doctor who sought out Dracula for his knowledge. Dracula was impressed with how she showed no fear of him and let her use his lab. A few years later she gets burned at the stake when her medical equipment is mistaken for witchcraft. We get to see Alucard briefly.

Warren Ellis knows his Castlevania.

Ellis doesn't know shit, and is just a hack until Grant is added and glorified in the story as well.

Bullshit excuses just because Grant was a pirate and arguing the region doesn't add up for that kind of background.
    Then make him a thief or leave his background out of the plot and just have him be some treasure hunter thats good with a knife!
    he looks and is agile like a thief anyways in the original. Have him stab some evils, and kill him off if you have to, but don't write him out of the lore!

it's extreme sacriledge and wasteful for the one and only animated series based on Castlevania III to act like Grant didn't even exist. Fake Grant wouldnt even exist in SOTN if there wasn't a real Grant.

every Castlevania fan pointed out how Grant can be adapted to this animated series, but Warren took the lazy and cheap way out just not bothering including Grant. if that's how they are gonna do things then this animated series is incomplete and not authentic enough.

that idiot just HAD to fuck up Castlevania III's cast somehow by scratching out Grant.
    that's like a Castlevania Bloodlines series scratching out Eric.
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    /shrug

Screw Grant.
    edited July 7
    Shut up affinity. This season of the show is essentially a prologue. Grant can still show up in season 2.
    edited July 7
    TV show Trevor =/= NES Trevor anyways. you might as well rant how different netflix Trevor is compared to how Trevor was originally presented and fans envisioned the character. Alucard doesn't even have his CVIII appearance.

you defend with the "it's only a loose adaption of CVIII" argument, then you turn around and say "rewriting a character is bad". WTF.

apologists just don't wanna admit Ellis completely failed at making Grant work in the story, which goes to show how short sighted he is.

they could have adapted the story to the media without cutting characters. Vampire Hunter D had a whole group of hunters involved in addition to other key characters, and that movie is roughly about the same total story length as Castlevania's 4 episodes combined. I'm sure VDBL's team if they made a CVIII adaption wouldn't cut Grant at all.
    any writer/director worth their salt would make it work.
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
    edited July 7
    Grants isn't even important lmao.

Not including him won't hurt this series in the slightest. If anything cutting that nobody makes it better. :rofl:

Don't understand why people like him. Never felt like he fit it to begin with.
    edited July 7

Not including him won't hurt this series in the slightest. If anything cutting that nobody makes it better. :rofl:

W T F. any true Castlevania III fan doesn't take any of the characters for granted, even their least favorite character or character outside their favorites.

that's like if a Streets of Rage movie was made, and then uncaring people act like Adam doesn't matter if he's not in the movie.

Grant is a CVIII legend, a playable character, and one of the most unique Castlevania characters ever

it's shameful that I, whose not even the biggest CVIII fanatic nor Grant fan, has to remind the so called Castlevania fanbase how important Grant is and how he doesn't deserve to be cut.
    even a casual fan can respect each and every character, as well as see the injustice of a character getting cut from the plot that was supposed to include them all. any videogame to TV adaption should not cut any characters.

like really, it's not like they are adapting a Suikoden sized cast of heroes.
    edited July 7
    affinity wrote: »
    TV show Trevor =/= NES Trevor anyways. you might as well rant how different netflix Trevor is compared to how Trevor was originally presented and fans envisioned the character. Alucard doesn't even have his CVIII appearance.

you defend with the "it's only a loose adaption of CVIII" argument, then you turn around and say "rewriting a character is bad". WTF.

apologists just don't wanna admit Ellis completely failed at making Grant work in the story, which goes to show how short sighted he is.

they could have adapted the story to the media without cutting characters. Vampire Hunter D had a whole group of hunters involved in addition to other key characters, and that movie is roughly about the same total story length as Castlevania's 4 episodes combined. I'm sure VDBL's team if they made a CVIII adaption wouldn't cut Grant at all.

Trevor in the show fits with his characterization from Curse of Darkness. He wasn't snarky in that game but he was a huge asshole. Creators not following your personal headcanon will never be a flaw. Drop that shit.

I like Grant but yea, he's not important. The other three characters legacies live on in other games while Grant never gained one.
    edited July 7
    TV show Trevor =/= NES Trevor anyways.
    No shit.
    Alucard doesn't even have his CVIII appearance.
    title_alucard.gif
    No he is not a 8 bit Sprite. The game series went though recons and redesigns since 1989.
    you defend with the "it's only a loose adaption of CVIII" argument,
    Because it is
    then you turn around and say "rewriting a character is bad".
    No just calling you out on hypocrisy. I am not complaining about Grant, you are.
    apologists just don't wanna admit Ellis completely failed at making Grant work in the story
    The fuck are you going on about, they are still in the prologue.
    they could have adapted the story to the media without cutting characters.
    They are on Episode 4, the real series plot only just started.
    Vampire Hunter D had a whole group of hunters involved in addition to other key characters,
    Fucking unrelated property, only thing they have in common is they both have vampires.
    You might as well bring up Buffy the Vampire Hunter, the 1992 motion picture.
    buffy_movie.jpg
    and that movie is roughly about the same total story length as Castlevania's 4 episodes combined
    A One shot OVA vs TV series.
    I'm sure VDBL's team if they made a CVIII adaption wouldn't cut Grant at all.
    I will say this again for your rock head, they are on Episode 4. They are on Episode 4 and they are already green light for a season two.

For all we know Grant is trapped in the Castle proper or simply haven't shown his face yet.
    And if you have ever played Castevania III Grant is a guard in the Castle, he only joins your side after you defeat him.

Even considering the fact that he was playable, story wise Grant doesn't matter. He's a nobody extra and was never important. Lmao

Nothing will be lost if he's cut from this anime adaptation.
    (It is times like this where I wish we had a forced ignore or equivalent button rather than just ban or don't ban given how often affinity spouts bullshit. It is tempting to just ban though given how fucking tiresome it is to see someone never learn.)

Ignoring that self-important idiot who almost never knows what's actual going or has a grasp of actual facts, it's good to know that even the first episode seems to have been well-written. Here's to hoping that the rest of the series remains so. It will probably be a while before I can actually watch this, unfortunately.

- P. G. Wodehouse
    edited July 7

Yea and if you had read the Vampire Hunter D books (Specifically the first one and Stuff of Dreams which Bloodlust was adapted from)) you'd be whining and crying like a bitch about what terrible adaptations they are cuz they are way the fuck off the from the books. Tons of characters cut from the books, entire scenes and events omitted, character personalities and motivations changed completely.

Sit down and shut the fuck up.

you complain when I hype things, and complain when I criticize things, make up your mind.

also, it's one character, they didn't need to cut one character to make CVIII story work. Grant could have been picked up along the way, get involved in a fight or two, then get killed off in heroic fashion, at least they would pay proper honor and homage to the character instead of ignoring them. CVIII fans are not forgetful, everyone that knows CVIII, which is even more memorable than CV1 and Bloodlines, knows Grant. it is an insult to the source material to not take the time to include all 4 CV heroes in the story, not just Trevor, Alucard and Sypha.

even in Castlevania CoD, which was directed by IGA, Trevor confessed to Hector that he won against Dracula with help (and that help wasn't limited to Alucard and Sypha). how cool would have it have been if Grant in this TV series meets Trevor at a chance encounter, saves Trevor's life at one point in a battle, even sacrifice his life for Trevor. That would have elevated the character's relevance, added more emotional connections to the protagonist and make the protagonist feel more human, and enhanced the story's depth as a whole as well.

Grant could have contributed to this series in profound ways, but it's such a waste Ellis didnt care to take that extra step that would have made a significant difference and make the CVIII adaption whole.

and I know the series is just warming up, I'm just saying, based on Ellis's uncaring laughably stupid comment about Grant, it doesn't sound like he's going to add him at all. maybe he will change his mind, but as it stands, if they don't add Grant to this series, then they suck and wasted a cool and more deserving character.

and so what that Grant didn't make a legacy like Belmont, Belnades and Alucard? he's still a CVIII hero that accompanied and fought alongside Trevor at least to a certain point!
    what, you think people that fought and died and didn't leave anything behind don't matter? they still made their mark in the world, no matter how small.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,376

Yea and if you had read the Vampire Hunter D books (Specifically the first one and Stuff of Dreams which Bloodlust was adapted from)) you'd be whining and crying like a bitch about what terrible adaptations they are cuz they are way the fuck off the from the books. Tons of characters cut from the books, entire scenes and events omitted, character personalities and motivations changed completely.

Sit down and shut the fuck up.

you complain when I hype things, and complain when I criticize things, make up your mind.
    My mind is made up. Stop posting and we'll get along fine.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Welp that's enough of reading affinity posts.

Just making up random shit while spouting nonsense about proper honor and homage so the character can be relevant. :rofl: