In darkness, a hero returns. The Castlevania Netflix series

Comments

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,404
    ExposedD wrote: »
    Does it have Ricther in it?...Doing hydro storms?

If not...I am not interested :giggle:

Nah. Trevor is the Belmont of this show.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,060
    I like how they interpret Trevor's secondary weapons in the series, little bit on the unremarkable side but still completely bad ass.
    There no magic in Trevor's daggers and axes, he just good with throwing them
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,170
    edited July 8
    Wasn't Alucard there at his mom's execution? Always wondered how that scene would have worked with all the people there recognizing who he was and trying to kill him while he tried to get his mom's last words.
    Xvideos wrote: »
    Wasn't Alucard there at his mom's execution? Always wondered how that scene would have worked with all the people there recognizing who he was and trying to kill him while he tried to get his mom's last words.

I think he was close enough to see and hear what was going on, but he was not with the crowd. Maybe on top of a building.
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,287
    Do you have to be familiar with Castlevania to enjoy this? Ive never beaten one, but ive played the Rondo of Blood on psp, and one lf the DS ones where the MC was Soma
    DrellyFish wrote: »
    Do you have to be familiar with Castlevania to enjoy this? Ive never beaten one, but ive played the Rondo of Blood on psp, and one lf the DS ones where the MC was Soma

Not really, the series does a good job with the exposition and keep it interesting. No boring narration explaining the backstory here, everything here follows the "Show not tell" rule of story telling.
    What you don't know you can easily get picked as the series unfolds.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,072
    edited July 8
    Just watched the first episode. I had a really hard time finishing it due to the terrible, terrible dialogue. It's so corny, forced and silly. The first scene with Lisa and the silly jokes, Dracula later crying in the most ridiculously pompous way, the final bit with the goat fucking... Really had my eyes rolling all the way through the chapter.

The visuals are respectful to the source material, they did a good job translating Kojima's designs to animation, the action bits were decent even though the animation could be better and the use of Korean subcontracting shows... But every time the characters talked I wanted to fast-forward.

Does that get better later on, or is it similar in tone?
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,690
    Binged all 4 episodes, this is pretty legit so far. I had low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

Look forward to season 2
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 35,857 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 9
    just finished it. really liked it...the animation was a bit iffy in episodes 1-2 but nothing really crazy. i dont know a deep amount about the series bar belmonts fuck up dracula and the gang. But i really like it, i like the mythology, always have. I dont get why this just wasnt a movie though.
    crucades wrote: »
    always one nigga trying to ice skate up hill...

thanks blade
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    edited July 9
    My only minor gripe is maybe add a few more 'frames' overall?
    Probability Frederator Studios had a tiny budget, kinda hard to to detail art, special effects and high frame rate.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    they did a good job translating Kojima's designs to animation,
    Kojima has nothing to do with Castevania. And the series was based before Iga took over.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,462
    for he's a jolly good fellow for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good FELLOOOOOW!

that nobody can deny.
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,072
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Kojima has nothing to do with Castevania. And the series was based before Iga took over.

The characters are clearly based on Kojima's style, not on their pre-SOTN look.

The characters are clearly based on Kojima's style, not on their pre-SOTN look.

I hate you
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 9
    Spoilering this just in case. Just watched all of it myself. Thinking they should maybe do a Castlevania game with this art style?

DEKXFo6UwAAfxRs.jpg

Fuck me face!
  • angelpalmangelpalm Do not fist the android grills!! Joined: Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Some of the voice acting was wack, or maybe it's the way they did the audio for it. A lot of it was on point though and had me thinking I was watching a Guy Ritchie flick lol. Imo they should have at least gave us 12 episodes or made the 4 the gave us a minimum of 40-60 minutes long.

Honestly I feel like they only did so much in case there was a backlash due to the storyline. Also @Darksakul you just gonna act like Powerhouse Animation didn't help bro? You better give Texas some respect my dood.
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Some of the voice acting was wack, or maybe it's the way they did the audio for it. A lot of it was on point though and had me thinking I was watching a Guy Ritchie flick lol. Imo they should have at least gave us 12 episodes or made the 4 the gave us a minimum of 40-60 minutes long.

Honestly I feel like they only did so much in case there was a backlash due to the storyline. Also Darksakul you just gonna act like Powerhouse Animation didn't help bro? You better give Texas some respect my dood.
    Who?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,811 mod
    My only real gripe with the series is that it seems that they (Ellis?) decompressed the first two episodes too much, and then picks up during the next two episodes when they realize that there's only two episodes left.

That said, great series, definitely an 8/10 at the very least.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,630
    I enjoyed this. It almost tempted me to play CV3 again, but I remember how ridiculously hard that game got towards the end lol.

As a fan of the series, I appreciate the introduction of Lisa's character and more of a look into her behavior around Dracula. The fight scenes were pretty dope as well, but man there was a lot of falling through floors and whatnot. Gave me bad flashbacks of the platforming in oldschool CV games. If a bat flew by during any one of those sequences it could've been over for Belmont and this show would've ended early.

I'm also actually glad this was a short and easy watch to start with. I have so many backlogged shows that I started and haven't continued yet because they have hour-long episodes that are like 2-3 seasons in with 13 episodes per season. I'm too busy practicing for the tournament to binge-watch those right now, but something like this I can get through and not lose too much time.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Having a short season let's them test the waters and be able to gauge audience interest without risking a lot.

Going by the original plan of a straight to dvd animated feature, it could have failed and not much would be lost.

Fortunately, it was really good and season 2 has been greenlit so more CV in the future yay
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,345
    So what if like....S1 has 8 episodes. But to view the last 4 episodes you need to watch the show upside-down????

giphy.gif

Hopefully season 2 animation quality will be on par with Vampire Hunter D. To date, it is one of silkiest animation i have seen.

=============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,642
    I wasn't sure about this, like someone else pointed out the dialog was a bit ropey but I forgot about it after 15 minutes of solid laughs. Dracula goes from chill to genocidal in less than 5minutes, I don't know why they skimmed over this critical character development time..

I was hoping the animation would be better but it still looks good, especially during the action pieces.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,898
    This shit blows.
    The voice acting is absolutely insufferable and everything is forced.
    Two episodes in, don't really care to watch the other two. I wanted to see lots of dumb action scenes with lots of enemy/attack/music references to the games. Instead it's like drama with bad pacing and poor accents.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,126
    So, its like what castlevania has been for the past 20 years.

Good to know.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    edited July 12
    I still don't understand what LOS did wrong as far as respect is concerned. *shrug*
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,483
    I still don't understand what LOS did wrong *shrug*

It looked boring and sounded boring.

Castlevania should never be those things. The series is known for its visually striking sprites and the best OST this side of Mega Man.

Yet somehow, Lords of Mundane managed to make everything into bland, generic Gothic game 6547. That soundtrack is forgettable and lame, and everything looks like every other western made medieval game ever.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited July 12
    It was neither of those things tho. The music was good. Sure not pop rockpera, but it was good music. It was fun to play to, and the graphics where fantastic. The writing was good for the most part, no better or worse then "What is a man." Game actually has beautiful vistas and set peices.

Did you even play them Po?
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,092
    LoS 1 was pretty good. Never played 2.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
    edited July 12
    Finding the games boring has nothing to do with respect towards the IP.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,483
    I understand what they were trying to do, and even respect the attempt, but Lords of Shadow is not Castlevania to me.

Castlevania to me is twitch platforming, riveting and eclectic scores using a variety of instruments and compositions, and iconic, sometimes hammy characters and visually stunning design.

Not a generic castle with a generic orchestral score, with typical renaissance fair rejects cosplaying as Universal movie monsters.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited July 12
    The Castle is only 1/4th of the game...and generic isn't how I would describe navigating giant chains with flame torches on them in a blizzerd...

I just dunno how it doesn't show respect when it almost bends over backwards to show respect, almost to the point of being a little annoying sometimes with all the callbacks.
    edited July 12
    Lord of Shadow was not originally a Castlevania, it got changed to one late in development.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,642
    edited July 12
    I kept picturing Chris Hemsworth doing the voiceover, that was driving me nuts I had to hit pause and look up the actor.

Also, why is Dracula's son wearing a thong? I lol'd so much when Trevor kneed him in the groin, dude just looks at him and says "this isn't a bar brawl, have some class" :rofl:

• XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,170
    edited July 12
    The bar scene was too long. Maybe he could have met Grant in episode 1 or 2 if they had faster pacing for the beginning parts.
    Xvideos wrote: »
    The bar scene was too long. Maybe he could have met Grant in episode 1 or 2 if they had faster pacing for the beginning parts.

He wouldn't have. The show has faithfully followed the order of how Trevor met his crew and their circumstances. In the game Grant is the last to join and they encounter him as a monster guarding the clocktower. They need to explore the castle before they can get to Grant and the season ended just when they were about to start.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,811 mod
    edited July 12
    angelpalm wrote: »
    I agree whole heartedly with the beginning being lame and it seemed out of place. Like instead of Dracula find this chick and seducing her with his charm she just kinda waltzes in to his legendary castle and starts chatting him up. Shit was cheesy but whatever. Alucard fight made up for anything that was wrong in the tiny bit of show that we did get.
    Doesn't this actually fit with the series lore? Like, doesn't Dracula/Vlad/Mathias not really give a shit about humanity at this point prior to meeting Lisa, explaining why there isn't any game set between LoI and CV3 (unless you want to argue about whether CV:Legends should be canon). Lisa simply helps tie things between CV3 and SoTN more closely, and adds some more more personal stakes in the proceedings.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Lor of Shadow was not originally a Castlevania, it got changed to one late in development.

Very true. Konami slapped on the Castlevania branding when they realized that they could reboot the series as 3rd person action/adventure game.

That and via time travel thanks to St. Germain, they found out that Devil May Cry: DmC by ninja theory was going to be garbage fire.

Fuck Konami.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -