In darkness, a hero returns. The Castlevania Netflix series

Comments

• regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How long's the wait for S2?
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,663
    edited July 8
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    I'm baffled that you guys even responded let alone entertained looking at those posts considering who it was.

you jerks are being a bunch of ostracizing clowns. I put a lot of reasonable and intelligent effort on my argument, since no one, not even the most nitpicking critic, bothers to criticize the series on Grant's behalf.

but it is baffling how apologetic supposed CVIII fans are towards the whole Grant absence and Ellis basically confirming that Grant is likely not going to be added to the series due to Warren's dumb, biased and shameless prejudice towards the character. Oh yea, the concept of Castlevania, vampires and whips makes sense, but Grant doesn't make sense. wtf. way to troll the CVIII fanbase. but of course like the overhyped LoS, CV suckers eat up anything that has good production values and are complacent with what they get, like dogs.

Like I mean come on, Grant is not Pumpkin from Lament of Innocence. he's not a joke unlockable.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,429
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    I'm baffled that you guys even responded let alone entertained looking at those posts considering who it was.
    I really should just put her on ignore.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,943
    edited July 8
    No, a nobody plucking away at Dracula with a dagger didn't make sense. :rofl:

Also I hate LoS.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,429
    I like LOS, but I also like CVIII so im not sure how that is a point :rofl:
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    edited July 8
    Getting hang up on Grant is pointless. This series isn't the first time he got cut. The Pachi game based on Castlevania III (the one with the erotic violence) cut Grant. Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow had no Grant counterpart and that mode was to pay homage to Castlevania III. The character didn't get shit until Judgment and that game sucked ass. I like the guy but the story of Castlevania III works without him.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    ExposedD wrote: »
    Does it have Ricther in it?...Doing hydro storms?

If not...I am not interested :giggle:

Nah. Trevor is the Belmont of this show.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,913
    I like how they interpret Trevor's secondary weapons in the series, little bit on the unremarkable side but still completely bad ass.
    There no magic in Trevor's daggers and axes, he just good with throwing them
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,229
    edited July 8
    Wasn't Alucard there at his mom's execution? Always wondered how that scene would have worked with all the people there recognizing who he was and trying to kill him while he tried to get his mom's last words.
    Xvideos wrote: »
    Wasn't Alucard there at his mom's execution? Always wondered how that scene would have worked with all the people there recognizing who he was and trying to kill him while he tried to get his mom's last words.

I think he was close enough to see and hear what was going on, but he was not with the crowd. Maybe on top of a building.
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Do you have to be familiar with Castlevania to enjoy this? Ive never beaten one, but ive played the Rondo of Blood on psp, and one lf the DS ones where the MC was Soma
    DrellyFish wrote: »
    Do you have to be familiar with Castlevania to enjoy this? Ive never beaten one, but ive played the Rondo of Blood on psp, and one lf the DS ones where the MC was Soma

Not really, the series does a good job with the exposition and keep it interesting. No boring narration explaining the backstory here, everything here follows the "Show not tell" rule of story telling.
    What you don't know you can easily get picked as the series unfolds.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,128
    edited July 8
    Just watched the first episode. I had a really hard time finishing it due to the terrible, terrible dialogue. It's so corny, forced and silly. The first scene with Lisa and the silly jokes, Dracula later crying in the most ridiculously pompous way, the final bit with the goat fucking... Really had my eyes rolling all the way through the chapter.

The visuals are respectful to the source material, they did a good job translating Kojima's designs to animation, the action bits were decent even though the animation could be better and the use of Korean subcontracting shows... But every time the characters talked I wanted to fast-forward.

Does that get better later on, or is it similar in tone?
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,694
    Binged all 4 episodes, this is pretty legit so far. I had low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

Look forward to season 2
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 9
    just finished it. really liked it...the animation was a bit iffy in episodes 1-2 but nothing really crazy. i dont know a deep amount about the series bar belmonts fuck up dracula and the gang. But i really like it, i like the mythology, always have. I dont get why this just wasnt a movie though.
    crucades wrote: »
    always one nigga trying to ice skate up hill...

thanks blade
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    edited July 9
    My only minor gripe is maybe add a few more 'frames' overall?
    Probability Frederator Studios had a tiny budget, kinda hard to to detail art, special effects and high frame rate.
    Cronopio wrote: »
    they did a good job translating Kojima's designs to animation,
    Kojima has nothing to do with Castevania. And the series was based before Iga took over.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,663
    for he's a jolly good fellow for he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good FELLOOOOOW!

that nobody can deny.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,128
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Kojima has nothing to do with Castevania. And the series was based before Iga took over.

The characters are clearly based on Kojima's style, not on their pre-SOTN look.
    Darksakul wrote: »

The characters are clearly based on Kojima's style, not on their pre-SOTN look.

I hate you
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 9
    Spoilering this just in case. Just watched all of it myself. Thinking they should maybe do a Castlevania game with this art style?

DEKXFo6UwAAfxRs.jpg

Fuck me face!
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Some of the voice acting was wack, or maybe it's the way they did the audio for it. A lot of it was on point though and had me thinking I was watching a Guy Ritchie flick lol. Imo they should have at least gave us 12 episodes or made the 4 the gave us a minimum of 40-60 minutes long.

Honestly I feel like they only did so much in case there was a backlash due to the storyline. Also @Darksakul you just gonna act like Powerhouse Animation didn't help bro? You better give Texas some respect my dood.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Some of the voice acting was wack, or maybe it's the way they did the audio for it. A lot of it was on point though and had me thinking I was watching a Guy Ritchie flick lol. Imo they should have at least gave us 12 episodes or made the 4 the gave us a minimum of 40-60 minutes long.

Honestly I feel like they only did so much in case there was a backlash due to the storyline. Also Darksakul you just gonna act like Powerhouse Animation didn't help bro? You better give Texas some respect my dood.
    Who?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,486 mod
    My only real gripe with the series is that it seems that they (Ellis?) decompressed the first two episodes too much, and then picks up during the next two episodes when they realize that there's only two episodes left.

That said, great series, definitely an 8/10 at the very least.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,699
    I enjoyed this. It almost tempted me to play CV3 again, but I remember how ridiculously hard that game got towards the end lol.

As a fan of the series, I appreciate the introduction of Lisa's character and more of a look into her behavior around Dracula. The fight scenes were pretty dope as well, but man there was a lot of falling through floors and whatnot. Gave me bad flashbacks of the platforming in oldschool CV games. If a bat flew by during any one of those sequences it could've been over for Belmont and this show would've ended early.

I'm also actually glad this was a short and easy watch to start with. I have so many backlogged shows that I started and haven't continued yet because they have hour-long episodes that are like 2-3 seasons in with 13 episodes per season. I'm too busy practicing for the tournament to binge-watch those right now, but something like this I can get through and not lose too much time.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Having a short season let's them test the waters and be able to gauge audience interest without risking a lot.

Going by the original plan of a straight to dvd animated feature, it could have failed and not much would be lost.

Fortunately, it was really good and season 2 has been greenlit so more CV in the future yay
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -