In darkness, a hero returns. The Castlevania Netflix series

Comments

• NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,445
    So what if like....S1 has 8 episodes. But to view the last 4 episodes you need to watch the show upside-down????

giphy.gif

Hopefully season 2 animation quality will be on par with Vampire Hunter D. To date, it is one of silkiest animation i have seen.

=============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,752
    I wasn't sure about this, like someone else pointed out the dialog was a bit ropey but I forgot about it after 15 minutes of solid laughs. Dracula goes from chill to genocidal in less than 5minutes, I don't know why they skimmed over this critical character development time..

I was hoping the animation would be better but it still looks good, especially during the action pieces.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,970
    This shit blows.
    The voice acting is absolutely insufferable and everything is forced.
    Two episodes in, don't really care to watch the other two. I wanted to see lots of dumb action scenes with lots of enemy/attack/music references to the games. Instead it's like drama with bad pacing and poor accents.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,231
    So, its like what castlevania has been for the past 20 years.

Good to know.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,429
    edited July 12
    I still don't understand what LOS did wrong as far as respect is concerned. *shrug*
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,322
    I still don't understand what LOS did wrong *shrug*

It looked boring and sounded boring.

Castlevania should never be those things. The series is known for its visually striking sprites and the best OST this side of Mega Man.

Yet somehow, Lords of Mundane managed to make everything into bland, generic Gothic game 6547. That soundtrack is forgettable and lame, and everything looks like every other western made medieval game ever.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited July 12
    It was neither of those things tho. The music was good. Sure not pop rockpera, but it was good music. It was fun to play to, and the graphics where fantastic. The writing was good for the most part, no better or worse then "What is a man." Game actually has beautiful vistas and set peices.

Did you even play them Po?
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,329
    LoS 1 was pretty good. Never played 2.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    edited July 12
    Finding the games boring has nothing to do with respect towards the IP.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    I understand what they were trying to do, and even respect the attempt, but Lords of Shadow is not Castlevania to me.

Castlevania to me is twitch platforming, riveting and eclectic scores using a variety of instruments and compositions, and iconic, sometimes hammy characters and visually stunning design.

Not a generic castle with a generic orchestral score, with typical renaissance fair rejects cosplaying as Universal movie monsters.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited July 12
    The Castle is only 1/4th of the game...and generic isn't how I would describe navigating giant chains with flame torches on them in a blizzerd...

I just dunno how it doesn't show respect when it almost bends over backwards to show respect, almost to the point of being a little annoying sometimes with all the callbacks.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,913
    edited July 12
    Lord of Shadow was not originally a Castlevania, it got changed to one late in development.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,752
    edited July 12
    I kept picturing Chris Hemsworth doing the voiceover, that was driving me nuts I had to hit pause and look up the actor.

Also, why is Dracula's son wearing a thong? I lol'd so much when Trevor kneed him in the groin, dude just looks at him and says "this isn't a bar brawl, have some class" :rofl:

• XvideosXvideos Xvideos Joined: Posts: 3,229
    edited July 12
    The bar scene was too long. Maybe he could have met Grant in episode 1 or 2 if they had faster pacing for the beginning parts.
    Xvideos wrote: »
    The bar scene was too long. Maybe he could have met Grant in episode 1 or 2 if they had faster pacing for the beginning parts.

He wouldn't have. The show has faithfully followed the order of how Trevor met his crew and their circumstances. In the game Grant is the last to join and they encounter him as a monster guarding the clocktower. They need to explore the castle before they can get to Grant and the season ended just when they were about to start.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,485 mod
    edited July 12
    angelpalm wrote: »
    I agree whole heartedly with the beginning being lame and it seemed out of place. Like instead of Dracula find this chick and seducing her with his charm she just kinda waltzes in to his legendary castle and starts chatting him up. Shit was cheesy but whatever. Alucard fight made up for anything that was wrong in the tiny bit of show that we did get.
    Doesn't this actually fit with the series lore? Like, doesn't Dracula/Vlad/Mathias not really give a shit about humanity at this point prior to meeting Lisa, explaining why there isn't any game set between LoI and CV3 (unless you want to argue about whether CV:Legends should be canon). Lisa simply helps tie things between CV3 and SoTN more closely, and adds some more more personal stakes in the proceedings.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Lor of Shadow was not originally a Castlevania, it got changed to one late in development.

Very true. Konami slapped on the Castlevania branding when they realized that they could reboot the series as 3rd person action/adventure game.

That and via time travel thanks to St. Germain, they found out that Devil May Cry: DmC by ninja theory was going to be garbage fire.

Fuck Konami.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 886
    6/10

I think a lot of you guys are drinking the kool-aid and riding the hype wave. This was very average.

Negatives
    Horrible voice acting, bad dialogue, minimal action with very little excitement. I couldn't find Trevor more unlikable. Say "I don't care" or "I'm out of practice" again Trevor, I'm not sure the audience heard you the first 3 times you said it. His goal in life is to eat food and get drunk? Wtf is that? He's going to take on an evil army from hell but he gets his ass kicked by a couple of town drunks? Right.

Positives
    I thought the story and the potential for the future was very good. It has a very nice mix of conflicting forces.

This could have been great, but way too many flaws.
    Inj2: Wonder Woman
    SFV: Cammy
    edited July 12
    Greenwood wrote: »
    6/10

I think a lot of you guys are drinking the kool-aid and riding the hype wave. This was very average.

Negatives
    Horrible voice acting, bad dialogue, minimal action with very little excitement. I couldn't find Trevor more unlikable. Say "I don't care" or "I'm out of practice" again Trevor, I'm not sure the audience heard you the first 3 times you said it. His goal in life is to eat food and get drunk? Wtf is that? He's going to take on an evil army from hell but he gets his ass kicked by a couple of town drunks? Right.

Positives
    I thought the story and the potential for the future was very good. It has a very nice mix of conflicting forces.

Trevor got his ass kicked by the guys in the bar because he was drunk. You ain't going to be fighting at your best when you're impaired. A sober Trevor didn't have any problem kicking ass.

Episode 3 covers why he wanders the country eating and drinking. He's not taking his family's excommunication well at all.
    Agreed

Having your family fortune taken away, your ancestral lands burned, house name lost all honor, and you are excommunicated from the Church, I think your life will degrade to looking for food, getting drunk and finding a spot to sleep for the night, especially in medieval Europe. No one fights in top form when you are puking drunk and barely can stand. And you have to constantly train to keep fighting skills sharp.

That said
    Trevor fought Alucard to a drawl and he killed a Cyclops that can petrify people with a eye beam
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    6/10

Negatives

Positives

name another castlevania animated adaptation that hits the right beats and tone as this show homie

CaptainNGroupShot.jpg
    No, this shit does NOT count at all...

you'd be hard pressed for one surely.
    with the backlash that it's receiving, the netflix castlevania is the adaptation that we need but don't deserve...
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,210
    The show was pretty good for a start, it has a lot of potential. The comedy was a bit offputting at times and the animation is a bit stilted overall but I look forward to seeing more character development and more action next season.
    tataa8P wrote: »
    with the backlash that it's receiving, the netflix castlevania is the adaptation that we need but don't deserve...

What backlash? It's got a 91% rating on rotten tomatoes. It's generally been received positively by fans elsewhere too.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I saw it over the weekend.

I know nothing of Castlevania so I went in blind.

Pros:

Art style, voice acting. Action/Gore

cons:
    The first two episodes were a bit slow.
    Animation in terms of framerate was a little choppy in episode 4 fight.

I am intrigued for the next season though.

Overall: 7.5/10
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    edited July 12

What backlash? It's got a 91% rating on rotten tomatoes. It's generally been received positively by fans elsewhere too.

i'm a fan of the show myself but that other 9% still knock on stuff about the show pretty hard.
    things like the music/soundtrack not based on the game, grant not in the show, how the animation is poor, plot/story issues, etc.
    just like this guy:
    6/10

Negatives

Positives

"backlash" may have been too extreme of a word but you catch the gist, no?
    "backlash" may have been too extreme of a word but you catch the gist, no?

I understand. The series overall has been viewed positively and that's what I care about. It needs the positive word of mouth since the show got no promotion.
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,943
    Fuck anybody bitching about Grant's irrelevant ass.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
    I cheesed the fuck outta CV 3 platforming with DaNasty.
    edited July 12
    Eskills wrote: »
    Fuck anybody bitching about Grant's irrelevant ass.

Who the fuck is Grant?

It does not mater, no one cares.

Also more reason to love Sypha
    tumblr_oss2v7V4Cj1qagwwio1_500.jpg
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm OK with Grant not being in the show (at least in season 1 anyway). The three characters are more relevant to the series than Grant ever was.

Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    People hating on this strike me as the kind of people hating a New York high school actually looking like a New York high school in Spider-Man Homecoming...
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    crucades wrote: »
    always one nigga trying to ice skate up hill...
    po pimpus wrote: »
    People hating on this strike me as the kind of people hating a New York high school actually looking like a New York high school in Spider-Man Homecoming...

lol@ sjw comments.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Bruh that shade thrown at Uwe!!!
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/