In darkness, a hero returns. The Castlevania Netflix series

Comments

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,413 mod
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Also more reason to love Sypha
    tumblr_oss2v7V4Cj1qagwwio1_500.jpg
    This is SRK GD, we probably have one or two people around here who would drink that.

Eskills wrote: »
    Fuck anybody bitching about Grant's irrelevant ass.
    Sypha Belnades is in the film.

Grant DaNasty is not.

So… am I going to get lynched?

Explanations forthcoming.

What use is a pirate in a landlocked country anyway?

(Wallachia was cut off from the Black Sea by the Ottoman Empire by 1420 or thereabouts)

Yes. I cut Grant DaNasty out of the film. The reasons were:

* Grant DaNasty is a stupid name that I cannot take seriously. (When he does turn up, I’ll probably use the alternate spelling of Grant DiNesti.)

* I only have 80 minutes. And in that 80 minutes I need to set up the backdrop, the history, the themes and five major characters to tell the story I want to tell. Because this isn’t going to be the usual kind of videogame adaptation, the kind that just transposes the least challenging parts of gameplay to the screen. This is going to be an actual goddamn film with an actual goddamn story. But I only have 80 minutes. To try and shoehorn Grant in there, when I’m already trying to create the space for Trevor, Sypha and Alucard to breathe and fill the screen (not even mentioning Dracula, Lisa or the Bishop for the moment)…no. I’d end up doing a bad job on all of them, and giving up whole chunks of the plot. At which point you might as well just call Uwe Boll, you know?

* Seriously, what use is a pirate on dry land? “Avast, ye swabs, and push me fecking cart! Arrr!” No. Just no.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/09/first-time-warren-ellis-wrote-castlevania-animation-ten-years-ago/

Warren Ellis feels the same way.

Technically, Wallachia has access to the Black Sea.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 549
    Its still a pirate on mostly dry land. Theres no fun in it.
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    smee is best pirate on dry land.
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • EskillsEskills Joined: Posts: 3,931
    Warren Ellis lady and gentlemen.

Round of applause please, he fucking deserves it.
    I do believe tat I r teh King.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,390
    Smee Smee what about Smee?...wait, Smees me...what about me?!?!?!?!
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,127
    Grant's name would not look out of place with Ellis' awfully written edgy dialogue anyways.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,256
    d3v wrote: »
    This is SRK GD, we probably have one or two people around here who would drink that.

Grant DaNasty is not.

(Wallachia was cut off from the Black Sea by the Ottoman Empire by 1420 or thereabouts)

* Grant DaNasty is a stupid name that I cannot take seriously. (When he does turn up, I’ll probably use the alternate spelling of Grant DiNesti.)

* I only have 80 minutes. And in that 80 minutes I need to set up the backdrop, the history, the themes and five major characters to tell the story I want to tell. Because this isn’t going to be the usual kind of videogame adaptation, the kind that just transposes the least challenging parts of gameplay to the screen. This is going to be an actual goddamn film with an actual goddamn story. But I only have 80 minutes. To try and shoehorn Grant in there, when I’m already trying to create the space for Trevor, Sypha and Alucard to breathe and fill the screen (not even mentioning Dracula, Lisa or the Bishop for the moment)…no. I’d end up doing a bad job on all of them, and giving up whole chunks of the plot. At which point you might as well just call Uwe Boll, you know?

* Seriously, what use is a pirate on dry land? “Avast, ye swabs, and push me fecking cart! Arrr!” No. Just no.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/09/first-time-warren-ellis-wrote-castlevania-animation-ten-years-ago/

During the time this story is set in, Wallachia was cut off from the Black Sea by the advancement of the Ottoman Empire.

I always thought it was funny that there was this random pirate chilling in a clock tower of all places, yet one of the first levels you play after getting Sypha is on a boat...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,863
    po pimpus wrote: »

Grant DaNasty is not.

During the time this story is set in, Wallachia was cut off from the Black Sea by the advancement of the Ottoman Empire.

I always thought it was funny that there was this random pirate chilling in a clock tower of all places, yet one of the first levels you play after getting Sypha is on a boat...

Dracula's Castle don't give a shit about Euclidean Geometry, and it got tech hundreds of years before it's time. The Castle is literally filled with Demons, Monsters and horrors from around the entire globe. Egyptian mummies, Efreets from the Middle East, German Gremlins, Greek mythical monsters, even shit right out of Wizard of Oz and Alice and the looking Glass.
    Having a random pirate is far from the strangest thing that was seen in Castlevania.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,962

Grant DaNasty is not.

Dracula's Castle don't give a shit about Euclidean Geometry, and it got tech hundreds of years before it's time. The Castle is literally filled with Demons, Monsters and horrors from around the entire globe. Egyptian mummies, Efreets from the Middle East, German Gremlins, Greek mythical monsters, even shit right out of Wizard of Oz and Alice and the looking Glass.
    Having a random pirate is far from the strangest thing that was seen in Castlevania.

The question is why the pirate was there in the first place. Grant was human before Dracula turned into a monster to guard the clocktower. His castle was in a burden wasteland before he transported it into the city.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger

Grant DaNasty is not.

The question is why the pirate was there in the first place. Grant was human before Dracula turned into a monster to guard the clocktower. His castle was in a burden wasteland before he transported it into the city.

Dracula was traveling the world before Lisa's Death. Way I see it Dracula was ether out in sea or at a port town, and lost his cool with a pirate and cursed him.
    It could of happened even long before the birth of Lisa.

All it took was Dracula to curse a pirate in his travels and send the pirate to the castle as a watch dog.
    Dracula literally got mythical monsters from every country in the world, a pirate could be from anywhere.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,962

Grant DaNasty is not.

Dracula was traveling the world before Lisa's Death. Way I see it Dracula was ether out in sea or at a port town, and lost his cool with a pirate and cursed him.

All it took was Dracula to curse a pirate in his travels and send the pirate to the castle as a watch dog.
    Dracula literally got mythical monsters from every country in the world, a pirate could be from anywhere.

It would need to happen during the time he was married to Lisa since she encouraged him to travel. Before he met her he was just transporting his castle around without doing any traveling of his own.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger

Grant DaNasty is not.

It would need to happen during the time he was married to Lisa since she encouraged him to travel. Before he met her he was just transporting his castle around without doing any traveling of his own.

LOL. Dracula if you go by Castlevania lore is well over 400 years old by the time he meet Lisa and already seen the world.
    Lisa wanted Dracula to travel as a Human and not a overly powerful demonic vampire already with minions from every part of the world.

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,650
    edited July 15
    Spoilers
    Grant could be added in season 2, as a beast in the castle at first, and then changing human, could get a backstory of being a former pirate outcast turned treasure hunter.

that aside, what's really unnecessary is cutting Sypha's hair. in the source material, Sypha has really long hair (even her sprite in SOTN). well in CVIII, she had the hood on full time until the cutscene after the castle falls, but still, it's dumb the Speakers hide Sypha's
    sex by cutting her hair short
    , when that time and place has some guys with really long hair too seen in this very same series!! Why don't they give her a face mask while they're at it then? Ellis really dropped the ball on Sypha's hair design. inexcusable. that's even worse than what the Golden Axe Beast Rider devs did to Tyris Flare's hair. Like it's so dumb. even as a golden axe prequel, you don't mess with a legendary character's hair length.

Like, Ellis didn't even bother to beat Sypha route Castlevania III, didn't even bother to watch the Sypha ending on youtube. Sypha has long hair in the canon, the animated series totally messed up that fact. Like her hair in the tv series is even shorter than Trevor's, that's so degrading.

now only Alucard gets the full glory of long hair because of fanatical SOTN design influence, but Sypha is only half the woman she was. some say her more potent magic powers in this tv series makes up for it. but she could have had both beautiful long hair AND awesome ice/fire magic. (and didn't she use lightning at all? didn't notice).

as for the 4 episodes as a whole, it's decent world building.
    that's really neat how Trevor organizes the villagers to chip in to fight back the horde
    its cool it shows the evil side of humanity, but season 2 should focus on fighting beasties on the way and inside the castle as well. it should be as more consistently action packed like the cyclops, the beasties, and Alucard duel.

Enough with the small talk and "the floor is breaking!" gravity drops. season 1 already set the stage for the world atmosphere and backstories, now take off the kiddy gloves.

Just have them fight their way into and up the castle so the next 4 episodes are well paced and intense to feel more Castlevania.

the only dramatic moments where there is pause in the action/adventure, should be when they arrive at Lisa's execution ground, and then later after fighting Dracula. other than that, season 2 should make even Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll jealous in the amount of action and progressive adventuring Castlevania gets. this would open up more time to add more hordes, more boss fights, and more incredible moments.

season 1 already panders to the characterization and world building crowd. season 2 should pander to the Castlevania action crowd. they are gonna enter Dracula's domain, so there's gotta be fights practically every step of the way there.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Not a lot of people realize the immense difficulty of adapting one medium to another and be able to please everyone. It's only in these last few decades have we been able to get adaptations that are sometimes halfway decent.

Lots of considerations were surely made since this is a relatively smaller production compared to Fox churning out hot garbage like Fant4stic and the like so they could be forgiven for keeping the scope lean BUT focused.

It's even worse when some dumbasses throw together a laundry list of stuff that they feel NEEDS to be addressed just to satisfy their whims. Stay salty AF
    edited July 15
    Her fucking hair is inexcusable? Smh

you'd be mad if they made a Overwatch TV series and Zenyatta is wearing something like an afro wig/french fries hair/ something offputting that doesn't match the original design that just makes you go "why? wait. no reason can excuse this design change!! those idiots had one job!"

like really, it's making Ellis and his team look sexist coming off as some out of touch dudes that think Sypha can't be a badass magic user without having a less feminine haircut along with a sexist Speakers excuse to back it up. "ohhh we hid her gender for her safety." THE FUCK?! and yet she's accepted into the dangerous life of a Speaker.

Lisa sure didnt give two fucks about looking completely feminine in her travels and daily life. and back to CVIII authenticity, cutting Sypha's hair is going too far. yea could've been a worse haircut, but like really, they have to be trolls or total imbeciles to fuck up her hair length like that while Alucard gets a SOTN nostalgia hairstyle (it's longer and white/silver in SOTN, but still).
    even Fake Sypha's hair stays true to the original Sypha, IGA didn't fuck that up.

affinity wrote: »
    Her fucking hair is inexcusable? Smh

you'd be mad if they made a Overwatch TV series and Zenyatta is wearing something like an afro wig/french fries hair/ something offputting that doesn't match the original design that just makes you go "why? wait. no reason can excuse this design change!! those idiots had one job!"

like really, it's making Ellis and his team look sexist coming off as some out of touch dudes that think Sypha can't be a badass magic user without having a less feminine haircut along with a sexist Speakers excuse to back it up. "ohhh we hid her gender for her safety." THE FUCK?! and yet she's accepted into the dangerous life of a Speaker.
    Lisa sure didnt give two fucks about looking completely feminine in her travels and daily life. and back to CVIII authenticity, cutting Sypha's hair is going too far. yea could've been a worse haircut, but like really, they have to be trolls or total imbeciles to fuck up her hair length like that while Alucard gets a SOTN nostalgia hairstyle (it's longer and white/silver in SOTN, but still). even Fake Sypha's hair stays true to the original Sypha, IGA didn't fuck that up.

You got whats basically gypsy mages running around which is what Syplha basically is, Europe always looked down on nomadic people like the gypsies.
    It make sense to hide a woman in plain sight by cutting her hair short and wearing a hood. Top of that Magic use at that time in Europe was seen as devil worship and you end up like Lisa.
    edited July 15
    well despite the criticisms, people shouldnt assume I'm slamming the whole effort. those 4 episodes are still around 8/10 score, which is above average and the greatest debut of a Castlevania series that could have ended up worse than the MK or Darkstalkers cartoon series.

So they did get most things right, sort of. but they are only are at 50% into what would be equivalent to a 2 hour movie and complete CVIII story. so I'd rate it like an early access game still in development, nice start, now season 2 should increase the action and be more Castlevania.
    edited July 15
    Didn't Sypha wear a hood in her original appearance?

Motherfuckers didn't even know Sypha was a woman unless they beat the game with her, Samus Aran-style...

true, but by that logic, Sypha's identity would have been concealed and hooded all these episodes. so I do give them credit not going the CVIII route with Sypha's secret, which even lore wise, Trevor wouldn't have to be with Sypha long enough to discover she's a woman. They did right with her personality, so in some ways, netflix Sypha is better than CVIII Sypha,though the CVIII devs really aren't at fault since CVIII wasn't really intended to be social and story heavy, so they went with the generic low detailed sprite concealing Sypha's gender until last minute since CVIII was low on twists and surprises. they wouldn't be able to get away with that if the game was highly detailed and in a real situation, there would be no vague pixels hiding her face, and no 8 bit audio not including her voice.

CVIII interpretation wise, Trevor knew since he rescued Sypha that she's a woman, but the player was kept out of that fact because the secret was a gimmick twist the devs wanted the player to figure out the long way. So I'm glad the tv series didn't go through that bullshit route of making Sypha some androgynous hooded character with anime hooded shadows hiding her face. So its great they avoided that drama, especially since for generations the fanbase already know Sypha's sex.

and in the making of the tv series, they probably wanted to make sure Sypha's identity is revealed ASAP in season 1 right after being rescued, in case there's no season 2. Sypha's character adds a lot more to the story and interactions without disguising her sex and voice. so there are some positives this series improves upon the original.
    your judging his surname based on american ghetto lingo and juvenile rapper interpretation of the name. that point of view doesn't do the name justice.

anyways, the complaints about the dialogue is crazy. the 4 episodes have some of the most fitting and meaningful dialogue they can whip up for that scenario, it's not nearly as cheesy as some other things out there. I think people would appreciate the Castlevania dialogue more if they watched Chaos Wars.

edited July 16
    So tell us the entomology of the name Danasty Affinity. Educate us.
    So tell us the entomology of the name Danasty Affinity. Educate us.

what? that word doesn't even have anything to do with Danasty. Anyways

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Grant_Danasty

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Michelle_Danasty

I googled the Danatsy name, but no family name examples in history came up, but it's still a natural original name, and especially considering the family name was invented by Japanese developers, it has no ties to the immature "Da Nasty" western definitions of those similiar sequence of letters and similiar sounding word(s).
    So aside from literally being Danasty, it's nothing like Da Nasty.

Gotcha lol.
    Lololol at the risk of sounding stupid, Grant's last name is as every bit as "piratey" as they come since it is a very apt description of a 15th century pirate upon which their monikers are typically derived from i.e. "Blackbeard", "One-eyed Willy", "@affinity"; or "Captain Hook" to name a few.
    Million wrote: »
    sheeeeit, Sypha looks HOT as hell on this show....that's good enough for me.

This brought back so many memories, man... I loved that game so much... game-wise, I enjoyed playing Sypha almost as much as Alucard. I still have the "instruction booklet", actually...still looks new as if the game was purchased yesterday.... heh, it is funny that people forget how silly Grant's last name is... "Danasty" sounds like the name of some dude from a porno flick.

iirc, the game refers to Sypha as a male magic-user/warlock instead of female. Grant's last name is officially spelled as "DaNasty" with specific note of the "N" capitalized for emphasis.
    well DaNasty could be equivalent to how some surnames are designed, like McBride and MacMurchadha. I'm sure back in the 80's, the Japanese creators of CVIII didn't even know what "Da Nasty" referred to in america. and there was no internet social media back then.
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,604 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah after watching it again with my gal really the only actual "bad" voice acting is the main priest dude. Fuck he was unbearable. Like half the time I couldn't hear or understand wtf he was saying. I hope whoever did his voice never works again.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    http://helloracist.com/
    why people gotta ostracize a particular VA? they were all great and convincing in their personality and tone. plus naturally not everyone speaks in a way that people can hear/understand. I know people my folks don't understand, but people accustomed to various english dialect, tone and style of speech, can still understand what they're saying.

thinking someone's career should be over just because they dont like their VA delivery, is just plain heartless, what if you knew the person and actually like them as a person and are a friend or good natured well to do aquaintance? you'd still want doom and gloom upon them?
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,604 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes bitch, I want that fuccnigga to starve to death for making me suffer through that bullshit. It would be even better if I could sit and watch him decay as I was hand fed peeled grapes.

But no seriously that dude was booty and everyone else was decent to great. The lame generic screams were off putting and as I said some of the audio sounded strange but it was a good effort overall on that front.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    http://helloracist.com/
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,359
    These two right now...
    image.gif?w=400&c=1
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    affinity wrote: »
    BULL SHIT
    angelpalm wrote: »
    MORE BULL SHIT

No one cares. Take that shit to Pm or something.
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yeah grant should be in the show, why all these people hating on affinity. what a bunch of sheep. the belmont guy was an annoying whiny emo character not unlike the new darth vader wannabe loser in force awakens.

best part of show was dracula fucking shit up and the shitty priest getting rekt. the chick was hot too. 7/10 will watch season 2, hope they add grant and make trevor not so fucking emo alcoholic
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,256
    Bious wrote: »
    Thread title needs to be changed to "Grant Danasty Fangirl Thread."

It's funny because ain't none of the fuckers gave a shit about the abomination that was Grant's design in Castlevania Judgment.

All these supposed fans of a character that hasn't had a real appearance outside of a couple cameos in 25+ years.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,309
    @fishjie did Grant make you pee your panties the first time you saw him?
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.