Is Discord hurting the FGC?

grandabxgrandabx FlameaterJoined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
Ever since it's creation, the Discord app has been a rather polarizing program. With many people exclusively spending their time using it for anything concerning our fighting games, it has cause dedicated gaming forums to be pretty much void of consistent activity.

With dedicated forums, you're able to reach every single potential player, share knowledge and properly organize/archive vital information (along with all the subcategories like X vs Y threads). Discord has an immediate response feature with texting, but information is scattered everywhere and there's no such thing as a front page. If the app ever has a glitch, any and all info posted can be lost forever.

Personally, to me, it seems that we are not growing to our potential because we make getting into the FGC a hassle with not having a be-all-end-all place to form a hivemind.

How do feel about Discord?
I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.

Comments

• MaxmanMaxman Joined: Posts: 1,812
    I think the best option would be for Forums for sharing and learning tech for fighting games

Rather find it stupid how some players have secret "discord" stuff
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,123 mod
    I don't worry about it much. I just talk with the people that still use the forums and just occasionally FB or twitter DM someone if I have to. Still rather use the forums no matter how little people there are than mess with Discord outside of DMs.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 716
    Discord is just much faster and efficient than forums most of the time. When it comes to recording data sure discord isnt great in that regard.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,185
    Screw discord, it killed dustloop dead.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • mpo9mpo9 Joined: Posts: 8
    Personally not a fan of any of those, including discord, for any serious discussion for a single reason: documentation.

Reddit has a Wiki feature for subreddits and posts can be Sticked or linked to on a Sidebar. Discord has pinned things as well. I mean if you really want to document there's always stuff like Wikia/MediaWiki and stuff.

• DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,441
    I'm torn on the whole discord thing. On the one hand it's very accessible because of its texting feature, on the other hand the app is convoluted as hell and navigating it isn't intuitive at all.
    There are ways to archive various pieces of info though, when I started to play some BB characters they had great archives and listed resources for info.

But not remembering EVERYTHING is kinda a problem.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I always thought a lot of the times it's the FGC hurting itself.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,865
    I don't worry about it much. I just talk with the people that still use the forums and just occasionally FB or twitter DM someone if I have to. Still rather use the forums no matter how little people there are than mess with Discord outside of DMs.

I only use SRK for fighting games. SRK was social media before social media; before Facebook, Twitter, and the like!!!
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    God I hope so.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

• driftlogicdriftlogic Joined: Posts: 645
    It's hit or miss for me personally. As a brand new (and I mean BRAND NEW) KoF player, I've taken to Discord/Reddit as a last...really my ONLY resort for learning the game/match ups. I haven't had much in the way of success with sites like DreamCancel as they are mostly dead for a game like KoF IVX (plenty of info for XIII and earlier games though). Now one could certainly say the lack of activity on those sites is a product of KoF being maybe a bit more niche than Street Fighter and even GG I would say, but I can definitely see the Discord trend impacting how many people new to the FGC as a whole are learning.

The fact that Discord can't really (or it least it doesn't seem like it can) document any and all that's happened in a particular server is a detriment, but I can attest to the fact that I feel like I get the answers to what I need to know much, much quicker and also a quicker feeling of camaraderie that's developed by way of Discord as the particular server I'm apart of serves as both KoF tech and general discussion as we all chat shit throughout the day.

It's also been something of a breeze setting up matches with people as well which is a lifesaver I imagine for games with smaller communities than MK/IJ/SF/etc...all I have to do is drop an APB that @s everyone while I'm in training mode and I usually get a response/match or matches in a fairly short amount of time.

Just my .02 cents...
    "Fucking dumb lying bastards with small dicks on XBL is what ruins multi-player at times."
    Machineking1313
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,200
    I remember one time one of the Cannon bros posted up on Reddit, and that shit was linked on the front page of SRK. The founders of this site don't even promote their own creation. Great, lol. I haven't even tried Discord, but it doesn't seem appealing to me. I prefer forums to get my info. Reddit is laid out in a weird way that makes it hard to read. IMO forums are still the best!

• wedlwedl Joined: Posts: 52
    the addition of features like pinned messages and searching have improved the interface but overall discord's interface still lacks intuitive archival methods

overall it's to the detriment of the program but at least it's better than Skype and Reddit's weakass search function which never gives you anything relevant
    Marvel 3: Viper/Morrigan/Strider
    Tekken 7: Asuka/Panda/Gokui
    SFV: Boxer/Laura/Mika/Gief
    GGXRD: Jam/I-No/Baiken
    KoF: Kula/King/Athena
    SC2/SCV: Ivy
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Discord is awful for finding very specific information you want.

Yet it is pretty great once you get into these secret rooms with top players. Why are they secret? I don't know. But now that I have a line of contact with many of them my GG game has improved a lot.
    This is offensive.
  • NickRocksNickRocks Lil B Was Right Joined: Posts: 22,634
    Raz0r wrote: »
    Discord is awful for finding very specific information you want.

Yet it is pretty great once you get into these secret rooms with top players. Why are they secret? I don't know. But now that I have a line of contact with many of them my GG game has improved a lot.

sometimes u just wanna talk to people on your level
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    That's what I thought, yeah. It still deprives the other players of the tech being discussed.
    This is offensive.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,700
    so what?
    they want to play. it's most fun to play with people at or above your own level.

this isn't the arcade. it's not just showing up and playing whoever is there and dealing with it.
    online allows people to be selective because it's a much bigger pool.

also holy shit the entitlement about not being able to find frame data. ugh.
    Play more.
    Tebbo wrote: »
    so what?
    they want to play. it's most fun to play with people at or above your own level.

this isn't the arcade. it's not just showing up and playing whoever is there and dealing with it.

What a butthurt post.

No one is forcing these guys to play one another, you dumb fuck. I never said they had to. It's the discussions and open information that is missed.
    This is offensive.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,949
    I remember one time one of the Cannon bros posted up on Reddit, and that shit was linked on the front page of SRK. The founders of this site don't even promote their own creation. Great, lol. I haven't even tried Discord, but it doesn't seem appealing to me. I prefer forums to get my info. Reddit is laid out in a weird way that makes it hard to read. IMO forums are still the best!

Alex Valle did the same thing. He created a thread on /r/ Street Fighter asking why most Street Fighter players haven't embraced reddit like other esport games.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    I dunno if they still own it but Cannons def don't run this site anymore. It's been like that for yeeeeeeeeeeeears.
    This is offensive.
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Sanada-kun wrote: »
    Discord is just much faster and efficient than forums most of the time. When it comes to recording data sure discord isnt great in that regard.

Efficient? Could you elaborate on that?
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap.
    It allows for faster shit talking between participants.
    This is offensive.
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,200

Alex Valle did the same thing. He created a thread on /r/ Street Fighter asking why most Street Fighter players haven't embraced reddit like other esport games.

That is pretty funny. With all these social media platforms, it seems hard to get everyone in one place.
    I dunno if they still own it but Cannons def don't run this site anymore. It's been like that for yeeeeeeeeeeeears.

Yeah I know that. Still odd though. Unless I am wrong, SRK = EVO.

• FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,200
    Having a forum or a wiki to archive FG information is great because it's the closest thing you can have to a collected book of the same information. For the longest time I have always admired how well the ST wiki looks on this site. And there have been threads on this site that were laid out just as well as the wiki. You just don't get that from discord or reddit.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,405
    I see discord more of replacement of mIRC than anything else, I logged in the srk discord a few days ago for the first I didn't find anything worth reading and a few times i couldn't tell wtf people were talking about. it's too chaotic

i believe many people including top players ran away from the hostile environment that was rampant around this site years ago. I could be wrong on this maybe it was something else.

I can't remember the last time I saw a post of Mr Wizard

I remember reading viscant posts somewhere or how arturo "sabin" used to be a mod he no longer post here he's now on reddit I think.

reddit is like a quick message board to me just plain an ugly. I would never go to that site to find information

• TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,700
    Tebbo wrote: »
    so what?

What a butthurt post.

No one is forcing these guys to play one another, you dumb fuck. I never said they had to. It's the discussions and open information that is missed.

it's the same thing.
    if you want to be a part of the discussion, have something to contribute.

otherwise you're one of thousands who just look for other people to figure stuff out for them. in which case you get what people decide to share.

and of course no one is forcing anyone lol. no you didn't say they had to. you asked why they are secret.
    so that people who contribute nothing and ask remedial questions are kept out.
    Play more.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,689
    Entitled to frame data? I only leveled up in Vsav greatly because micro situations where I didn't know what was saf and what wasn't was fixed by me going to the wiki and finding frame data.

I mean if you want frame data to be an exclusive secret thing fine, but when japan comes and rocks everyones shit don't ask why.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • Sanada-kunSanada-kun Joined: Posts: 716
    edited June 10
    grandabx wrote: »

I go onto the tekken discord I wanna know what fengs wall combos options r, i go to fengs chat and ask i can see someone typing straight away so i dont leave and boom 20 secs later I have my answer. Then remember that I forgot his 10 frame punish so again I ask and the same person replies with the answer and someone else even gives me another option. Do u kno how long that process takes on a forum. A perfect example of this is how long it took me to reply to ur post.

If ur smart and u create the server the right way discord is the perfect tool for the FGC. There is a reason a lot of people r using discord more. They want quick answers on the fly to simple questions and discord is perfect for that and more importantly it's very active.
  • xiceman191xiceman191 Joined: Posts: 1,397

I go onto the tekken discord I wanna know what fengs wall combos options r, i go to fengs chat and ask i can see someone typing straight away so i dont leave and boom 20 secs later I have my answer. Then remember that I forgot his 10 frame punish so again I ask and the same person replies with the answer and someone else even gives me another option. Do u kno how long that process takes on a forum. A perfect example of this is how long it took me to reply to ur post.

If ur smart and u create the server the right way discord is the perfect tool for the FGC. There is a reason a lot of people r using discord more. They want quick answers on the fly to simple questions and discord is perfect for that and more importantly it's very active.

Just piggybacking off of your post but the addition of bots as well is an asset. One of the discords I am a part of you can put !Feng qcf+1 and the bot will post all the frame data for the technique. So a proper and serious discord channel can be beneficial for information just like a good wiki/forum
    Psn: Datdudeiceman191
    Umvc3: Main team: Nova/Spencer/Mags, Secondary: Dormammu/Strange/Magneto
    twitch.tv/datdudeiceman191
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,246
    There is nothing in existence that can do more damage to the FGC than Capcpom and their sycophantic shill army here on $RK.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • grandabxgrandabx Flameater Joined: Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

It's fine to use Discord for quick questions, but the general info on a character/system mechanics should be archived. No one is going to want to keep answering the same question over and over. For instance: http://ki.infil.net/

This makes things so much easier and people will have less of a reason to ask basic questions if all general info is put in an organized place. That site exist, but they may still use Discord for personal communication. Most of the other fighters on the market has their info scattered around on 6-7 sites/programs. A new player is not going to jump through hoops just to learn general info.

• VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,490
    definitely, as is reddit and twitter. It's much easier now for information to be lost and then repeatedly discovered.

the fix for this is a more active wiki community. The japanese are big on wikis for archiving useful information, and while SRKs is great for some games, it's quite poor for others.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide