When did people start judging games on graphics?

flickyflicky Super Nintendo ChalmersJoined: Posts: 876
I'm one of these people who's still stuck in the past, I still look at CvS2, all the mish mash sprites, Alpha sprites, 3rd Strike sprites, new sprites, Morrigans sprite, I look at that game and think "damn, this is one of the best fighting games Capcom have ever made." Yet these days people say "graphics are shit, game's shit, I'm not buying it."

And I can understand from a financial point of view, you wouldn't want to pay $60 for a half assed project, but even the tiniest of things are putting people off. And it's not just new players, it's old school players as well, even they have risen their standards and had enough.

The only thing I can pin point it to is SSF2HDR and the shitty job Udon did on the sprites for that game, that's the only turning point I can think of where players started caring about graphics and stopped playing games. We've got people saying "MvCi graphics are shit, why would you want to play that?" Where as I'd be saying "why would anyone want to be playing USF2."

Does anyone who's old enough remember that point in their life when it clicked and you'd had enough of companies hacking games together?

Comments

• Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How about you reuse the UMvC3 models then? Wouldn't that be even cheaper?
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,162
    The thing is, Capcom used to have great art direction and now we get these ugly looking turds. We expect better from them. Hell, MvC3 while far from a wonderfully looking game at least had a coherent art direction and cel-shading that made sense for something based on comic books.

That, and the games are bad, too. KOF XIV doesn't have good graphics but is a really solid game, SFV looks bad and plays bad and that goes for MvCI too.
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,664
    edited June 15
    Since the inception of videogames. Presentation matters, a whole fucking lot, it's what gets people interested in the first place. The gameplay doesnt matter if you cant even make people interested to try it out, if gameplay is good then peple will stick around.

You can use sprites and still make it look well, graphics as in polycount and textures dont mean shit without having appealing design. Thats the issue MvCI has.
    Part of the presentation is attention to detail, well thought out designs that are consistent.

When you see a game being released that has great artstyle, a game that is made with passion and love then itll show and people will appreciate that.

Having an unique identifiable artstyle is worth so much more than simply cranking up the polycount and such. Games like GGRev2 will age very well.
    GGXrdR2: Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,131 mod
    It's like @DevilJin 01 mentioned in another thread. Back in the Dark Ages, we got used to playing games that were a generation behind, because they were ports of games a generation or two behind graphically. We were used to MvC2 and CvS2 looking bad with recycled sprites looking out of place on 3D backgrounds and we didn't care because the gameplay was good. But now we got players who didn't live through that phase and that's resulting in a clash between them and the older guard who just want to talk about gameplay.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,945 mod
    d3v wrote: »
    It's like @DevilJin 01 mentioned in another thread. Back in the Dark Ages, we got used to playing games that were a generation behind, because they were ports of games a generation or two behind graphically. We were used to MvC2 and CvS2 looking bad with recycled sprites looking out of place on 3D backgrounds and we didn't care because the gameplay was good. But now we got players who didn't live through that phase and that's resulting in a clash between them and the older guard who just want to talk about gameplay.

Basically. I personally think Injustice looks nasty and the characters blend into the backgrounds, but if I actually liked the gameplay I would still play it.

We played some really low res ass games that were tough for us to look at sometimes even, but the gameplay was cool so kept playing.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877
    If you have good gameplay people still give it a shot; see KoFXIV even before they did the lighting overhaul. The problem with MvCI isn't that the graphics are bad, it's that it looks like there is absolutely zero effort put into them. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the game.
    Sure that's what you can see. Yet, when I was playing 3rd Strike casuals the Smashers would just be like "what is that game like 15 years old?"

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,801
    Smashers"
    So you take what a retard says seriously? :rofl:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Hecatom wrote: »
    Smashers"

No, but that is objectively a problem for gamers back then. They wouldn't care to play 3rd Strike because it was pixely and not polygon and higher res like their game. Plus no pokemon or whatever else they like.

• SkieghSkiegh I am Ryudo Unit 2R Joined: Posts: 436
    edited June 15
    Appearance, much like in life and on people, counts. Whether or not you're good looking, doesn't mean someone can't still look at you and get that you're putting effort in to be presentable. If you don't look presentable, it equates to laziness, lack of passion and other things. All qualities you don't really want on your person, and not a quality you want on your games.

Now I absolutely advocate gameplay first, graphics second, but if the graphics can't properly represent the gameplay, then there is a problem. MvCI looks really bad in all visual aspects, something quickly thrown together so it could be showcased, much like someone quickly throwing on clothes to go out without giving a shit. I'm sure there's a lot of scruffy lookin' mother fuckers out there who have got a drive like no other, but if you were to ask me to locate on appearance who I thought had their shit together, it probably wouldn't be the guy with two different colored socks with sandals on. Riding that metaphor, baby.

As everyone has said, it's not about graphical fidelity, it's about having a style which matches the gameplay you are creating. I mean, it goes back to the whole Dragonball/XRD thing again, doesn't it? Some people hate the anime style, but any intelligent person will understand that the style is done correctly, whether you like the style or not. People have a hard time looking at things objectively, which is why most people make TERRIBLE game critics. Overall though, appearance has and always did matter in games. The evolution of graphics in video games used to mean more because it coincided with increased possibilities within the game engines, like the jump to 3D for instance. Now adays, if you make a game that just looks like generic CG models, with styleless shaders, it's like a game with no clear vision behind it, nor passion from the devs.

--

Sprites are timeless, they as a whole age better than 3D graphics, because they inherently come with a very distinct style choice. Imagine if Tekken 7 had a versus game and they ported older gen 3D models into the game and just upscaled them? It would look HORRID. With sprites, it's a lot less noticeable, but even back then, it still wasn't the best, just porting sprites from games with distinct style differences. Capcom was always riding that budget train when it came to their fighting games. So, it's true, they got by because the gameplay was solid. Then they made SF3 New Gen and it bombed because it's gameplay sucked and it's graphics were amazing but using a dated style, even if it's sprite work was and still is some of the best ever done. They improved the gameplay, boom, a classic for the entirety of the FGC. You have to have both in some regard. The best fighting game ever made can't be a bunch of stick figures battling it out.
    LockM wrote: »
    Since the inception of videogames. Presentation matters, a whole fucking lot, it's what gets people interested in the first place.

This, is like some folks like op can't (or simply don't want to) understand that the 1st impression matters.
    This is true in everything.
    In the case of games, if what people see doesn't appeal to them is very unlikely that they will give a try after that.
    It's like @DevilJin 01 mentioned in another thread. Back in the Dark Ages capcom draught of games, we got used to playing games that were a generation behind, because they were ports of games a generation or two behind graphically. We were used to MvC2 and CvS2 looking bad with recycled sprites looking out of place on 3D backgrounds and we didn't care because the gameplay was good. But now we got players who didn't live through that phase and that's resulting in a clash between them and the older guard who just want to talk about gameplay.

Basically. I personally think Injustice looks nasty and the characters blend into the backgrounds, but if I actually liked the gameplay I would still play it.

We played some really low res ass games that were tough for us to look at sometimes even, but the gameplay was cool so kept playing.

Yeah, lets ignore the fact that those games had great presentation and that while the sprites were low res, those games still had a lot of work put into details that made them charming and appealing. (Low res =/= look bad btw.)
    I can still look to the Alpha games and see quality work in there, the same to sf3 and mvc1.

Dude, MvC2 had ass backgrounds that made no sense (especially compared to MvC1's) and lackluster music that only became loved after it became memetic. There's a reason most hacked DC MvC2 discs, the ones people like Toodles made for running tournaments without having to unlock shit usually came with customized soundtracks.

And trying to play Morrigan or Sagat in CvS2 could make your eyes bleed. Sagat's cr.hp was the only reason I tolerated that.
    edited June 15
    Back when MVC2 was relevant at tournaments, I know the Smash kids just wouldn't think this shit was looking hot. Even if we know the shit had some technicality and artistry to it, if the other community/public doesn't see it that way then it only goes so far.

The game already pixels really bad because of the contrasting resolutions and sprites over polygons thing. Plus they're using their own edited colors which are generally shit they just crafted without a ton of real work. On top of that MVC2 cut/skip a lot of frames for the CPS2 characters so Xmen/MSH characters especially don't animate anywhere near as well as they do in their original games. Shuma's idle post is real messy compared to his MSH one. The frame cuts are probably worse than the PSX/Saturn games even.

• dizzynecrodizzynecro ゾインクス! ゾインクス! Joined: Posts: 958
    Naeras wrote: »
    flicky wrote: »
    When did people start judging games on graphics?

30-35 years ago, I think?

It's understandable he wouldn't know, since he just joined SRK yesterday lol.
    Back when MVC2 was relevant at tournaments, I know the Smash kids just wouldn't think this shit was looking hot. Even if we know the shit had some technicality and artistry to it, if the other community/public doesn't see it that way then it only goes so far.

The game already pixels really bad because of the contrasting resolutions and sprites over polygons thing. Plus they're using their own edited colors which are generally shit they just crafted without a ton of real work. On top of that MVC2 cut/skip a lot of frames for the CPS2 characters so Xmen/MSH characters especially don't animate anywhere near as well as they do in their original games. Shuma's idle post is real messy compared to his MSH one. The frame cuts are probably worse than the PSX/Saturn games even.

Honestly, I think 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds only really started to look real good during the end of the last decade, with games like BlazBlue having higher resolution sprites, on top of doing amazing things with animated textures.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,080
    When pong was made.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,987
    flicky wrote: »
    LMAO

Like it or not presentation matters.
    You could have the most greta gameplay, but if your presentation is terrible, not many people will be compelled to play it.

Story of phantom Breaker extra, Shin Kohime in a nutshell. Studio Saizensen's Blade Stranger will more than likely have the same problem.

as much i prefer quality gameplay. The presentation is also just as important.

Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,400
    @ArtVandelay

You got a Gamefaqs account, I'm sure you've seen the goddamn awful topics of people saying Tekken 7's graphics are bad.
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,604
    @ArtVandelay

You got a Gamefaqs account, I'm sure you've seen the goddamn awful topics of people saying Tekken 7's graphics are bad.

No I don't xD
    I only visit gamefaqs when I wanna 100% complete some old ass jrpg.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • The_ShakunetsuThe_Shakunetsu Mystic Stone Gem Ryu Joined: Posts: 3,693
    edited June 15
    I miss the early 90's were the team of artist that originally designed SF2 are complementary to each other from Ryu evolution from SFA-SF2 and SF3 except SF1 designs, but not today the facial features have different interpretation and lack of consistency.

Art direction and style guide for facial features is an important matter to be preserve and shouldn't be risk for the sake of prioritizing other marketing schemes and gimmicks or personal style and just trying to be trendy for a certain time period. Without style guide characters wearing the same clothes can be unrecognizable, be unfamiliar or even alienate those people that are usually attached to a particular character. It is undeniable that some people do also gravitate to visuals and characters too not just solely gameplay.
    BombActZerobox.jpg

2cfebd40-f43a-0132-f3e4-0e18518aac2f.jpg?w=740&h=556&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

godzilla-98-carded.jpg

dragon-ball-dragonball-evolution-990390-1280x0.jpg

I hope Capcom's style guide isn't just about a general idea of designing body and models. They should have something for character branding like Nintendo, Sega and etc big franchises. A style guide that also contains guidelines of do's and don't in evolving or changing a characters from facial features, move sets and personality. The problem with just giving it to any future artist in charge without a detailed style guide would just change it or make it different, trendy by associating it to any real people or just go into personal preferences/taste.

This can cause harm and messed up the individual character presentation because of either losing consistency to each other prior existing designs from clothes and also from face. It can also do conflict and contradiction by age and personality. That's why style guide is always important especially to a game that is a pop culture icon not just in the fighting games and competitive scene but also the whole video game industry.
    5oDt9hC.jpg
    ardur2l1eglr2jlmkwph.jpg

evolution_of_bugs_bunny_1939___2010_by_stranglynormal-d8qjmu6.png

Rurouni_Kenshin%2C_Kyoto_Inferno_film_poster.jpeg

SFV Arcademode, Storymode with SFA3 World Tour Challenges & Vtrigger/Vskill ideas
    Arcade Mode Concepts - Better than traditional Arcade Mode | Story Mode Suggestion - Battle Challenges, Battle Attack & Battle Type | V-Trigger & V-Skill Ideas

Character Wishlist SFV, DBFZ and MVCi

My DB Characters for DBFZ
    Solo Characters
    1.) Picolo
    2.) Killin
    3.) Kid Buu
    4.) Pikon
    5.) Hit
    6.) Broly - legendary
    7.) Super Janemba
    8.) Gotenks SSJ3
    9.) Great Ape Baby or Adult Form
    10.) Syn Shenron - can transform to Omega
    11.) Caulifa
    12.) Kale
    13.) Dabora with Babidi

Pair/Tag Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Choi with Chang in CVS2, Cait with Sith in Code Chaos, Hisuii with Kohaku in MB, Danny with Demi in the Outfoxies, Jie Mei Hua in Dong Dong Never Dies and Groove-&-Fight's Oume with Otane.
    14.) Android 18 with Andriod 17
    15.) Rose with Zamasu
    16.) Dr Jero with Andriod 19
    17.) Yamcha with Puar
    18.) Dabura and Babidi

Team Character - Can be either like the implementation of this characters in the named game: Captain Commando in MVC2, Doronjo in TVC, Tronbone in MVC2 or Ace Attorney in UMVC3.
    19.) Tien - Some specials summons Chiaozu and Launch
    20.) Ginew Forces - with The Ginew Forces Plays like (Captain Commando in MVC2 or Doronjo in TVC)
    21.) Meta Cooler - Plays like Ultron in MVCi
    22.) Roshi - Some specials summons Turtle and Oolong
    23.) Napa - Summon numerous Saibamen (like Gargos Ki or Tronbone in MVC2)
    24.) Bojack

My Capcom Characters for Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite
    SIGMA X ULTRON HENCHMEN- Consist of bounty hunters, heroes rival, dominant forces and altered or robotized Capcom characters.

1.) Cyber Akuma - Akuma with cybernetic enhancement, Ryu's recurring rival.
    2.) Mecha Zangief - A Zangief cloned Repliod.
    3.) Devilot with Super-8 from Cyberbots. (older version that look like Doronjo and plays like Doronjo TVC and Trone bonne combined)
    4.) Cyborg Charlie Nash -MvSF Bison's Ending with Shadow lady missiles and electric shock

CAPCOM- New Characters

1.) Felyne - from Monster Hunter (rival to Rocket Racoon)
    2.) Hauzer - from Warzard (Godzilla and Kaiju)
    3.) Son-Son - the original son-son (male) (Goku) (plays like Tekkaman Blade in TVC)
    4.) Nina - from Breath of Fire (plot can be from the cause of using Reality Gem)
    5.) Saturn Dyer - Plasma Sword Character (The Mask) (plays like Yatterman -1 in TVC)
    6.) Tessa/Tabasa - from Warzard (her previous plots revolves on crystals involvement)
    7.) Pure and Fur - Protector of Capcom world.
    8.) Rouge - Power Stone (her previous plots revolves on acquiring power stones involvement)
    9.) Anita(Older) (DS/VS What if Character) - A like a Jojo bizzare character/persona/shaman king, summoner that summons Donovan and his sword (Touhou)
    10.) Ingrid - A crossover character
    11.) Ruby Heart - MVC2 (Magic stone involvement) Pirate
    12.) Asura - from Asura's Wrath.
    13.) Astaroth - from Ghost and Goblins size is like Dormammu or from Project-X-Zone
    14.) Nero - Devil May Cry (mix of Vergil, Dante and TVC Soki)
    15.) Shoma - Rival Schools

MARVEL

1.) Doom
    2.) Spider-man
    3.) Wolverine
    4.) Thanos
    5.) Venom
    6.) Cyclops

My Characters for SF5's 4th Season onwards

Necro
    Xianyu with Jianyu or Noembelu

New Characters

Different Playstyle I want in SFV
    1.) Xianyu and Jianyu - as a pair fights like Choi and Chang in CVS2.
    2.) Delta Red Rep!! - Can play like Captain Commando. (Team/Ginew/Turtles)
    3.) Yun and Yang - play like how rival school or Capcom Fighting Jam works you can switch characters after or before round in matches.
    4.) I want Lee or a Jacky Chan Rep to be a character that plays tricky on block and overheads like Iron Fist in UMVC3.

Characters I want to return
    1.) Sodom
    2.) Maki
    3.) Eagle
    4.) Necro
    5.) Oro

Characters and concepts that need to explored before going to SF3 Timeline
    1.) Tom
    2.) Noembelu

Designs I want to see again in SF
    1.) Asuka (from concept design) - play like KOF kazumi and Hokuto from SFex
    2.) Wraith (Slam Master)

SFV Guest from SF expansions
    1.) Skullomania
    2.) Garuda

Extra Battle and Cameo Costumes

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/216908/extra-battle-thoughts-and-ideas-for-dlc-costumes-and-npc-encounters
    edited June 15
    Valoon wrote: »
    will cost 60€ .

Lets not forget that the game will cost waaaay more due all the obvios DLC that it has planned.
    Mind you, i wouldn't mind paying for it IF i feel the package is worthy, but in its current state, nope.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    will cost 60€ .

Lets not forget that the game will cost waaaay more due all the ovios DLC that it has planed.
    Mind you, i wouldn't mind paying for it IF i feel the package is worthy, but in its current state, nope.

You gotta run tournaments anyway nigga

Hold that L
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
    will cost 60€ .

Lets not forget that the game will cost waaaay more due all the ovios DLC that it has planed.

You gotta run tournaments anyway nigga

Hold that L

Nah nigga.
    I wouldn't run tournaments for MvCI, if other people want to i wouldn't interfere, but like with smash, i wouldn't get involved in any form.
    There is no point in doing them if there is no drive neither passion to do it.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro ゾインクス! ゾインクス! Joined: Posts: 958
    will cost 60€ .

Lets not forget that the game will cost waaaay more due all the obvios DLC that it has planned.

This is what actually kills the game for me. I know I would enjoy the game on some level but it's 90$ out of the gate with tons more piling on fast with the dlc. The game just seems too uninspired to invest so much in. I'll likely pick it up down the road as some kind of bundle but it's certainly not a day one purchase for me.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,927
    edited June 15
    Smashers"

No, but that is objectively a problem for gamers back then. They wouldn't care to play 3rd Strike because it was pixely and not polygon and higher res like their game. Plus no pokemon or whatever else they like.

Melee looked bad back then, and just looks that much worse now. Capcom's artistry took a shit SFIV and after (sans MvC3) and they haven't been the same since...aesthetically speaking.

EDIT: KOF used to get a TON of shit here back in the day for using MVS hardware for ages as well. Even when SFIV debuted people here were saying "If it wasn't for the Capcom and Street Fighter names, this game would be laughed out of existence."
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    Sure that's what you can see. Yet, when I was playing 3rd Strike casuals the Smashers would just be like "what is that game like 15 years old?"

it's the truth.
    the majority of people playing video games were playing at home. where games like soul calibur and tekken absolutely crushed. we can throw smash in there too of course.

everyone is apparently all educated and shit now (the internet). and we've had the whole indie revolution thing.
    it was not like this back then. because tech was pushing graphics HARD. huge leaps year after year. it's completely different now.
    Play more.
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 9,516
    "when did people start judging games on graphics?"

Super nintendo/genesis era.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,604
    "when did people start judging games on graphics?"

Super nintendo/genesis era.

Even NES era. People went apeshit when SMB2 and 3 came out, because that shit looked like it was from a different system when compared to SMB1.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,474

...is relevant here.
    edited June 15
    Pertho wrote: »
    Aesthetics have always mattered. The only people who said they didn't were the Skullgirls kid when the game first came out and now their best player is a furry.

So...

https://media.giphy.com/media/K6VhXtbgCXqQU/giphy.gif

I think that you have that reversed.
    I know that the aesthetics is one of the things that the sg fanbase loves about the game.
    And is the people who said that it was the aesthetics that keep them away from the game that are now trying to undersell the fact that mvci is ugly as sin and that only gameplay matter.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • SaandroSaandro Joined: Posts: 162
    It's not about graphics (lightning, polygons, etc.) alone. It's about visual style, presentation and atmosphere, which were always important. A game like Samurai Shodown 2 still looks and feels awesome today.