Still can't handle my emotions

CrawfishCrawfish Joined: Posts: 21
I played today and it started out alright, I handled my losses well(there were a lot) and tried to figure out what went wrong. I would lose from tick throw for example, and be able to at least point it out to myself. now i know. but later on in the day, it all went downhill. I didn't win a single game, not even a round. well that's ok, that can happen. but i wasn't learning anything, i didn't know what to do. not a clue. I dropped any combo that would have won at least one round which was the pinnacle of disappointment for me, considering the situation. but the real problem was that i was inclined to give up, i felt hopeless, like i could never figure out what's going wrong here. it got to the point where i rejected any move that i was about to use because it probably wouldn't be the right decision.

it hurts to lose and all but, that wasn't the worst problem. the problem was that i missed everything i tried for, and failed to figure out what i was doing wrong. that's the goal, but i couldn't do it. I'm gonna post some of the matches here soon. in case some one can help me. by then i can think about them. but why do my emotions get in the way like this? how can i stop them?

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,544
    Crawfish wrote: »
    I played today and it started out alright, I handled my losses well(there were a lot) and tried to figure out what went wrong. I would lose from tick throw for example, and be able to at least point it out to myself. now i know. but later on in the day, it all went downhill. I didn't win a single game, not even a round. well that's ok, that can happen. but i wasn't learning anything, i didn't know what to do. not a clue. I dropped any combo that would have won at least one round which was the pinnacle of disappointment for me, considering the situation. but the real problem was that i was inclined to give up, i felt hopeless, like i could never figure out what's going wrong here. it got to the point where i rejected any move that i was about to use because it probably wouldn't be the right decision.

it hurts to lose and all but, that wasn't the worst problem. the problem was that i missed everything i tried for, and failed to figure out what i was doing wrong. that's the goal, but i couldn't do it. I'm gonna post some of the matches here soon. in case some one can help me. by then i can think about them. but why do my emotions get in the way like this? how can i stop them?

This is not meant to be an insult but I have to ask, how old are you?

of course there alot of context that missing from your story.
    Is this Local, online, tournament, money match?
    I am assuming you are new to the scene.

There even some little things that could help, maybe your choice of controller style isn't working for you, or you could try a different posture or grip.
    As for in game, review game play videos from other players, learn from their tricks, take the time to learn the in and outs and the bigger meta.

Ether way you have one thing right, your emotions are getting in the way.
    You need to let to let go of a lost, do what you need to upstairs in your head to learn and move on.
    Even if it's just the Wisdom to accept defeat from time to time. Being salty for too long isn't healthy.

And good luck. :tup:
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • ProphylactusProphylactus Preventer of Worlds Joined: Posts: 48
    I'm not an amazing player (so I lose a bunch when I hop online) but when I feel completely lost or pissed I take a break for a bit (get a snack, take a shower etc.) then try to get my bearings in training mode. The goal is to stop the negative feedback loop of playing poorly, getting pissed or annoyed about it, then playing even more poorly because you're pissed or annoyed.

You say you couldn't figure out what was going wrong, but you also say you dropped key combos. I'd start with there. If your combos are dropping, hop into training mode and try to nail some on a dummy. If you drop combos you usually hit against a dummy, you know you're off-kilter from an execution standpoint. Take a deep breath and start from scratch with normals, movement and basic combos. Remember what led to you getting tagged in your last match in a general sense more than specific instances (Jumped too much, didn't block low enough, couldn't escape pressure etc.), think about how you could avoid it in the future, then forgive yourself for messing up and let it pass. Don't beat yourself up. You're not a robot, and you won't be the same every time you fire up the game. Some days you will be on point more than others.