RYU is back with poor mobility option, bad projectile utility and predictable gameplay.

12346»

Comments

• flighflighflugitflighflighflugit Joined: Posts: 1,470
    Theory pressure with mind stone. Basic ideas if they don't push block your first attack.

-S.mk xx mind stone

-delayed s.mk chain(easy to 1 hit confirm knee)

-s.mk >> dp xx tag
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,507
    When uploading these combos, would you guys be so kind as to show the notations too? I typically learn these long combos through chaining and I could use the notations to help me better practice chaining the sequence into a coherent flow.
  • MaravillaMaravilla Joined: Posts: 204
    I'm trying to to do Ryu's cr.mk~d.hp (launcher) after dashing from magic series in air. So basically I launch them from the start combo, then I do lp,lk,hp,hk, which knocks my opponent down, then I try to dash cancel into cr.mk~cr.hp to launch again but my cr.mk never connects. How soon after the lp,lk,hp,hk, in air do I have to dash?
  • TurboTajTurboTaj Joined: Posts: 12
    Maravilla wrote: »
    I'm trying to to do Ryu's cr.mk~d.hp (launcher) after dashing from magic series in air. So basically I launch them from the start combo, then I do lp,lk,hp,hk, which knocks my opponent down, then I try to dash cancel into cr.mk~cr.hp to launch again but my cr.mk never connects. How soon after the lp,lk,hp,hk, in air do I have to dash?

It sounds like you may need to delay the magic series in the air a bit. Try allowing more time between some of the button presses and what will happen is that the jumping hk will hit them on your way down which allows you to land earlier giving you more time to dash up and pick them back off the ground.
    TurboTaj wrote: »
    Maravilla wrote: »

It sounds like you may need to delay the magic series in the air a bit. Try allowing more time between some of the button presses and what will happen is that the jumping hk will hit them on your way down which allows you to land earlier giving you more time to dash up and pick them back off the ground.

Thanks bro. Will give it a shot. I've noticed with most other characters you don't need to delay magic series at all especially in the corner. Their hk bounces them up much more than ryus.
  • JstrikerXJstrikerX Joined: Posts: 21
    Was in training room. I think he has some potential. One thing to note though that does suck is standing lp and hp do not link without lk on the ground. It does work in juggle state. That does suck. I think mixing up with overhead and the lk forward tatsu. Also never not dash after a confirmed jump in or his standing hp won't connect. He can generally do his combos from anywhere and can max out 6.5 k with one meter. I think anything using two meters is a waste of time. Time is a good stone, or Power and Reality. Combos don't matter I'm finding. The game will only let you top out around 6.5 k damage before the character is forced out of the combo unless you do a level 3 burn, but I don't think it's worth an extra 1000 damage unless it kills. I've been trying to test if he has any overheads with the short hop but it seems a little character specific. It is generally harder for a second character to counter him coming in so thats good.
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 25
  • JohnPauliukJohnPauliuk Joined: Posts: 402
    edited September 25
    The tatsu loops I've been hearing about. I think this is a good find. I wonder how it will work from tags and such. Is it done with H or L tatsu?
    Here are some early matches

Any advice is appreciated.

Your active switching is very good and you have nice use of Reality Stone Surge. Your Captain America is very good and outshines your Ryu. I almost feel like Ryu holds you back :( But you have good combos and resets as well.

The real question is how you handle Dorm or Ultron or Nova. I feel these characters are headaches. Also your blocking is good :D
    Yea my ryu is super basic right now. Implementing his overhead a lot more and learning some dirty setups. Worse part about ryu is That he can't really compete in the neutral without the reality stone.

Also playing online i can't really use his short hop tatsu effectively. Anytime you see my ryu super jump back way across the screen while doing a tatsu, that is a butchered input lol
    I know your struggles. I am personally using Time Stone for my game. I personally enjoy the extra mobility and air dash. Sadly they took away Ryu's ability to special cancel his overhead.
    edited September 26
    He can super cancel it and get some nice damage. Also think he can cancel it with the power stone

• KiyaaKingKiyaaKing Joined: Posts: 1,043
    So I gave Ryu an honest try in training mode last night and I must say I'm interested. Ryu is a much more complex character this time around than I imagined. Feels nothing like MVC3 Ryu. That being said, is it just me or do his falling tatsus have REALLY inconsistent hitboxes? I find it hard consistently doing any combo that involves falling tatsu. Mind you, I have all of 30 minutes experience with him, but I've been specifically having problems with that since I started.
    My Characters/Teams:
    UMvC3 - Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante, Zero/Dante/Strider, Doom/Dormammu/Dante
    SSF4 - Juri, Yun, El Fuerte
    Injustice - Flash, Zod, Lex Luthor
    Skullgirls - Cerebella/Squigly, Parasoul/Double
    GGXXAC+R - Slayer, Baiken

3DS FC: 5043-2719-7330
    edited September 26

because there was some confusion as to the loop video i did before that it could only be done vs big characters. So heres a video vs small, and from just a simple thrust kick. YOu can get 9K plus off the thrust kick as well, but vs small characters the shin shoryuken tends to miss the full version do to the tech buffer being so high with their already small hit box.
    I must be stupid but is there a guts system in this game and I didnt realize? why am i doing a combo on hulk that does 91k but the same combo on chun li does 84.....

because there was some confusion as to the loop video i did before that it could only be done vs big characters. So heres a video vs small, and from just a simple thrust kick. YOu can get 9K plus off the thrust kick as well, but vs small characters the shin shoryuken tends to miss the full version do to the tech buffer being so high with their already small hit box.
    Hey can you tell me the inputs?

I need to work on tags combos. The max I can get is 9.2K with all four bars. I do jHK, LK, HP, HK, QcfLk, LP, HP, HK, QcbLK, LP, HP, HK, QcfHK, Tag to Thanos, HP, Launcher, HP, Palm Breaker, dash, Palm Breaker, Air Super, Tag, Ryu Lvl 3 Shoryuken. Any tips?
    second combo video put in some hard rock music to make the combos seem more hard than they are. Still hella disappointed with how simple the game is and how much they took away from ryu
    Is it just me or is ryu's corner qcf tatsu is very inconsistent? I mean sometimes you can land it high, sometimes low, sometimes not, etc.
    Are you referring to when sometimes you can get two hits with the H version or just one? It can be a bit inconsistent.
    Are you referring to when sometimes you can get two hits with the H version or just one? It can be a bit inconsistent.
    Actually I'm referring to even landing the H version at all, like in the corner I'll jump straight up, do the h qcf tatsu and it'll hit randomly, doesn't matter what height I do it at, sometimes it'll hit others it won't. That's so annoying.,
    So I've been in the right track to max solo damage. I think Ryu needs to stay grounded for max damage a lot. Really sad I can't do the hard and skillful combos of UMVC3 but we will get there.
    Yesterday I enjoyed being a dick with Ryu plus Time Storm because on hit or block you can cancel out of Shoryuken into a full combo. It was so funny spamming my invincible DP into combos even though they were far from optimal. I need to lab out a real combo so I can spam more online.
    It's good to see people labbing my ideas. I really think Time Stone is the best Stone for Ryu.
    I'll have to see what options there are for anti air dps. Won't have time to check today
    I think that one will be tough to convert but I believe in you! I wish I didn't live in China so I could upload to YouTube. All I can do is message ideas for others to test for me.
    It's good to see people labbing my ideas. I really think Time Stone is the best Stone for Ryu.

I'm coming around this way of thinking too. That Time Surge is extremely useful for Ryu getting out of bad situations that his DP won't get him out of like Dante hovering just over his head with shots at an angle where a DP won't come out. Making a ceiling of fireballs is really useful too with the storm, and of course being able to combo into s.HKs into Lv 3 from his overhead.
    I had no doubt about Time Stone being what he needed in this game. For me I think Ryu's Stone preference is Time(great for Surge and Storm)> Space(Allows him to stop keep-away)> Mind(gives him a command grab and all that meter)> Reality(Allows Ryu to apply more pressure and cover bad angles)> Soul(just second chance allowing him to be in improved Lvl 3 range) >Power(Ryu struggles to hit for the storm and the Surge uses his wall-bounce)
    I had no doubt about Time Stone being what he needed in this game. For me I think Ryu's Stone preference is Time(great for Surge and Storm)> Space(Allows him to stop keep-away)> Mind(gives him a command grab and all that meter)> Reality(Allows Ryu to apply more pressure and cover bad angles)> Soul(just second chance allowing him to be in improved Lvl 3 range) >Power(Ryu struggles to hit for the storm and the Surge uses his wall-bounce)

I was running Power up until last weekend when I realized just how many problems he has with it if he's not looking for a kill. I'm going to miss the frame advantage the Surge has but yeah, going to run with Time for a while. Who knows, maybe I'll cave in and join the Reality army, but A-Grooving into Lv. 3 is just too addictive man.
    I too love mashing Heavy Punch into low roundhouse into Lvl 3. So fun.
12346»