Games that haven't aged well.

Comments

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,938
    Volt wrote: »
    OoT hasn't aged well at all. It gets really noticeable in OoT3D, which has better graphics but can still feel boring.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OoT is shit, but I consider it the average now. If any Zelda styled game is worse than OoT it's garbage.

Majora's Mask on the other hand is like fine wine. The older you get, the better you can understand the characters and plotlines and it only gets better.

3D remake is kind of ass though. Easy Mode and Zora Link got nerfed to oblivion for no reason. I can almost see Capcom's hand on this.
    Graphically wise it's a major step up from the N64 though, and I'm pretty sure it looks less like an LSD trip. All colors everywhere, fuck Great Bay Temple.

the older I got the more I realized MMs side quests are fundamentally juvenile(the fact that OOT doesnt emphasize story is a plus in my book). the side quests are so melodramatic. the core idea of MM is good but I just feel like the game was rushed. It needed a solid year or two longer in development IMO. It needed better dungeons, mechanics, music etc. I guess my frustration with MM is that I see what it could have been, but I dont think it ever came close to what it should have.

I dont fuck with LSD, so maybe thats why I like OOT more. I know many who have, and I guess I would say there are some similarities. OOTs dungeons just have personality that matter. Seems like OOT is more inspired by nature, and that matters to me. a lot of the sins OOT has are present in MM, its just wrapped up in a 3 day thing that ended up being a burden.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,227
    Raij1n wrote: »
    @Darksakul

All n64 games? Mischief makers is still fucking great

Graphically they all look dated to me. But appearance is subjective. Mischief makers game play wise holds up, it just visually looks dated to my eyes, not as bad as other n64 games but there a certain quality that just sticks out to me.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,845
    edited August 2
    Manx wrote: »
    The entire atari library

Yup. Not that there aren't any Atari 2600 games that are still fun, there definitely are but, that was effectively "horse & carriage" gaming lol. Even back in the day before i experienced anything better, such as the NES, i thought 2600's library was pretty lame on graphics and content. And Music was simply non-existent, just the various beeps and various sound effects.

I can still go back and enjoy NES era games quite a bit but, Atari 2600 is pushing it as far as my retro-gaming appreciation goes.

Yo, the sound on the Commodore64 was soooo superior to anything that was out at that time, possibly since. Seriously, the Sid chip is fucking off the chain and still making crazy elec music:

:tup:

C64 has horse shit gameplay pretty much all across the board, but those tunes are burned into my mind forever.

Listen to this shit:

C64 taught me patience and to not die.

Did anyone here ever play Mayhem in Monsterland, made by the creator of Creatures you could only buy it via mail ordering through C64 Format Magazine, it was the C64's Mario.

Haha totally forgot about this, 45 King's "900 Number" mix :rofl:

Bonus
    6b43742db5db161e9d778c657664cdce.jpg
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 2
    I used to love Aliens on the C64. I need to look it up to see if it holds up lol.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi X-buster, ready. Joined: Posts: 1,166
    Melee
    Any 8 bit game
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCF: Susano'o, Bang, Kokonoe UNIBEXLTEST: Enkidu/Yuzuriha MVC:I- Megaman X/Zero
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,602
    I used to love Aliens on the C64. I need to look it up to see if it holds up lol.

I think I haven't seen anything of that game except the damn rings you had to fly through to land the shuttle.
    Couldn't do it, gave up.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,311
    Melee
    Any 8 bit game

Melee I'll give you... but there are 8-bit games I'd take over some of the shit today, like Castlevania III, and any MM game after the first one.

The Disney Afternoon games, TMNT III: The Manhattan Project is better than Turtles in Time to me gameplay and the music compositions are better, SMB 3, Kirby's Adventure, etc... A lot of 8-bit games stand up pretty well even today.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Ash to Ash Joined: Posts: 3,251
    Most "classic" JRPGs, especially those from Square, have since been outclassed by later games with more engaging battle systems and better storytelling.

This includes Chrono Trigger, though that one still has a really good narrative at least (though it's probably helped a lot by the DS translation).
    Prove your justice to society.
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017
    Not sure about games. But as far as characters go. Sonic The Hedgehog. That dude just never left the 90s.
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Not sure about games. But as far as characters go. Sonic The Hedgehog. That dude just never left the 90s.

90s attitude is hard to shake
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,910
    It's kind of interesting to think that N64 games have not aged as well as SNES games even though SNES is older than it. It pretty much has to do with the polygons vs. sprites though. Still interesting nonetheless.
    purbeast wrote: »
    It's kind of interesting to think that N64 games have not aged as well as SNES games even though SNES is older than it. It pretty much has to do with the polygons vs. sprites though. Still interesting nonetheless.

Like 1970s decore looks more dated than 1920s decore.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,457
    edited August 3
    Tales of Symphonia. I loved the game when it came out, but it didn't stand the test of time very well. Combat system is a lot more clunky, but the dialogue and main characters are bland as hell. The fact that the actually interesting characters (Raine, Zelos, Sheena, Regal, Presea) are kept somewhat in the background compared to the kiddie gang (Lloyd, Genis, Colette) really annoys me too. It's still a better game than most JRPGs, but for an 80-hour game I completed 7-8 times as a teenager, it's pretty disappointing that I can hardly even play it for an hour anymore.

Crash Bandicoot-series. The reboot really hammered that in. A lot of the difficulty in those games come from straight bad controls and camera, not from interesting and challenging design.

Half-Life 2. Yes, I said it. I tried it for the first time in 2009, and immediately thought that this wasn't anything special. It was groundbreaking when it came out, but other games have executed what it did well way better (shoutouts to Ocarina of Time, another "greatest of all time"-game that deserves the same criticism).

I have a bunch of others, so I can keep on going later.

Oh, and after reading through the last page: Majora's Mask has aged better than Ocarina of Time. The latter was great because it made huge innovations and successfully brought Zelda into 3D, but anything outside of the dungeons is... pretty bland. It's gotten surpassed in most ways. MM has some fundamental issues (saving system uggggh) but it stands out because it has a lot more personality to it.
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    sheeeeit, how 'bout Double Dragon? I couldn't get enough of it back in the day (the NES version)...but I'd never play that shit now. Years later in the Genesis/SNES era we'd get Streets of Rage, which was superior in every way.

in the "Ugly ass polygons" category:
    the original Virtua Fighter
    Tekken
    Battle Arena Toshinden (*WHY can't they remake this with today's graphics/tech?!!? I'd be all over a new Toshinden)
  • 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 997
    Resident Evil 4. Not because its a bad game mind you, but because the shits been ported so many times I'm pretty sure we're all sick of seeing it.
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter" and I know it's a terrible username Joined: Posts: 1,639
    Most of the games here were never good in the first place: Sonic and Half-Life are two examples of games that were never good, so bad games will never age well

A good game that I loved back in the day but it's pretty much unplayable today is the original Resident Evil. Even the RE1 Remake (that was remastered for current consoles) is bad.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,602
    REmake is pretty amazing in my opinion.
    I couldn't stand to play the original RE anymore. Way too much ammo, way too easy.
    Crimson heads were done well and the voice overs, while still not amazing, are not as laughable anymore.
    The little side story with the girl is whatever, but doesn't distract too much.
    Add me for some Tekken 7 if you're from Europe.
    I'm not playing anything else these days:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/NaughtySenpai/
    edited August 3
    remake is nearly perfect, it just left out one important thing

top 3 re songs
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 8,651
    Perfect Dark. That game for it's time was incredible but man it looks like ass today.
    2 Kings 2:24
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    atirador wrote: »
    Most of the games here were never good in the first place: Sonic and Half-Life are two examples of games that were never good, so bad games will never age well

A good game that I loved back in the day but it's pretty much unplayable today is the original Resident Evil. Even the RE1 Remake (that was remastered for current consoles) is bad.

Why do you think Half-Life is a bad game?
    CFN ScootMagee
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210

Tekken 1 looked like garbage even when it was new. Virtua Fighter blew it out of the water.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 786
    Maybe I have a high tolerance for dated gameplay design and graphics, but Ocarina of Time (with extra draw distance on GC/Wii), Resident Evil 1, Virtua Fighter 1, and Crash Bandicoot still look good to me and play just as well.
    39912-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Ocarina_of_Time_-_Master_Quest_(USA)_(Debug_Edition)-11.jpg
    residentevil.jpg
    3298_3.png
    latest?cb=20120512193617
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,017

I still stand by that the character didn't age well, but how can you sit there and say Sonic games including the Og trilogy where never good???
  • atiradoratirador It means "shooter" and I know it's a terrible username Joined: Posts: 1,639

Why do you think Half-Life is a bad game?

Back in the 90s and early 00s I was still "trying" to like FPS (I gave up on that now) and I played a little bit of Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and a few ohters. I even finished the first FEAR. I played HL1 for about 2h before giving up. The story/cutscenes were too long and annoying and the gameplay was terrible in the beginning (I still have nightmares about using a crowbar to kill weird crawling creatures that looked like rejects from Aliens). I just couldn't stand it anymore

I like Portal 1 and 2, though.
    BB_Hoody wrote: »

I still stand by that the character didn't age well, but how can you sit there and say Sonic games including the Og trilogy where never good???

I never liked the pace of the game, I guess. You're supposed to go as fast as possible in some areas and then jump very carefully in others... it's a weird game for me. I was never able to play more than a level or two. On the other hand I loved Super Mario World.

For me Sonic is only a "good game" considering the shitty catalog of Genesis games. It's like some N64 games were only "good" when you consider that most of that console's librabry were trashy 3D games

I doubt Sonic 1, 2 or 3 would be that "iconic" if they were released on the SNES.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,457
    Maybe I have a high tolerance for dated gameplay design and graphics, but Ocarina of Time (with extra draw distance on GC/Wii), Resident Evil 1, Virtua Fighter 1, and Crash Bandicoot still look good to me and play just as well.
    39912-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Ocarina_of_Time_-_Master_Quest_(USA)_(Debug_Edition)-11.jpg
    residentevil.jpg
    3298_3.png
    latest?cb=20120512193617

Despite what I said earlier, I still think OoT is a very good game, and the visuals are by all means functional. It's just that, if I had to play through an old 3D Zelda game, it'd be downprioritized to several later 3D Zeldas (notably Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask) which I think expanded and improved on what OoT first did and are thus more enjoyable overall.

I never really liked the controls in earlier Resident Evil-games. Crash Bandicoot looks just fine and has loads of personality, but the controls and camera angles annoy me to no end. It's not terrible, but I can't help but compare it to a certain other platformer that was released in 1996. Reminds us pretty clearly that the N64 had an analogue stick at that time, and that the PS1 didn't.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm inclined to say N64...but I went to a swap meet last weekend, and saw a video game section with a bunch of systems and a TV. There was a kid playing Super Mario 64 on the N64 in Tick Tock Clock...not on Wii, but on N64.

Man it was a flashback to 1996.
    Green Karin.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    purbeast wrote: »

Yup, every few years I replay Donkey Kong Country 2, maybe Super Metroid.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask have not aged well to me.
    Green Karin.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,128
    Imma say yall focused on the wrong aspects of the question. Of course anything that sorta relied on graphics will be terribly outdated now. Think about sports games and shooters.

It will be more interesting to bring up other discussion arguments like very few have (difficulty level on Ocarina, etc)

No shit a 1st gen PS1 fighter looks like ass, it's been 20 years. Some old games still hold up due to mechanics, good control and fun factor though. I would still play Earthworm Jim 2 on the SNES/Sega Genesis.
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    edited August 3
    I like tank controls, but it depends. If the atmosphere of the game benefits then I say use them. Old re had great cinematic shots that made the games better.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    Pong, Pac-Man, Galaga, Frogger, Super Mario Bros, and Tetris are timeless as far as I am concerned.
    For me Sonic is only a "good game" considering the shitty catalog of Genesis games.
    Genesis catalogue is epic, especially if you take into consideration the backwards compatibility with Master System and 32x expansion. There is nothing on the SNES like Alisia Dragoon, Outrun, Virtua Fighter, LOTUS II, Zero Tolerance, Road Rash II, Langrisser II, or QuackShot.

SNES has Top Gear 1 and 2 and it blows OutRun out of this universe

All the rest is pretty much crap or games that I never heard about it so they're probably crap too

And Virtua Fighter (even the superior arcade version) is probably one of the best examples of games that didn't aged well. Not only the graphics are terrible (wich is perfectly excusable considering the time it was released) but the gameplay is pretty much terrible too.

I dare you or any FG fan, even VF players, to play that game today and have fun. I dare you! And I'm not even talking about playing competitively, of course...

VF was a pioneer, I agree, but so was SFII and pretty much anyone can enjoy SFII even today.

Tekken 1 is also far more enjoyable than VF1 today

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file