Games that haven't aged well.

Comments

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 22,057
    edited August 5
    Which Castelvania and how?
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,794
    I agree with Castlevania if he's talking about the original game and Simon's Quest.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,408
    Persona 3 (PS2 version), just try going back to it after all the quality of life improvements the series has had since.

Fucking Mitsuru Marin Karining everything.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    I thought the PSP version of P3 was really tough to play to.
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Final Fantasy 7. Really wanted it as a kid when it came out but didn't have a PS. Everyone loves 7 so I tried to go back and play it around 2006 and I just couldn't get past the look. I find the Super Nintendo games have held their charm and are still are so easy to pick up, enjoy and are super satisfying, even if it's just for a half hour or many hours of play. I'm actually very surprised Resident Evil 2 is still just as enjoyable to me as it was back in 1998. RE1 was not as fortunate.
    "Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210

Tekken 1 looked bad when it came out. It came out after Virtua Fighter 2. Whatever your gameplay preference, Virtua Fighter 2 shit on Tekken 1 and hell Tekken 2 graphically.

It's funny how a worse game can get more popular and outlast the better game just by not being on shitty consoles.

i remember something about tekken having a much better port. maybe that was tekken 2 though. but at some point they became very close and that was huge.

where as vf was kind of butchered for the saturn.
    Play more.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I agree with Castlevania if he's talking about the original game and Simon's Quest.

yeah, i meant OG castlevania 1 on NES since i never played the MSX version.
    it's bad enough that they re-made it on the SNES as castlevania 4

I'm in the minority who actually think that Simon's Quest was AND is still really good for it's time.
    Simon's Quest was tough for me initially, but a friend of mine got some maps and passwords off of a magazine (unsure if it was Nintendo Power or the dozen's of NES-related gaming mags at the time).
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    tataa8P wrote: »

yeah, i meant OG castlevania 1 on NES since i never played the MSX version.
    it's bad enough that they re-made it on the SNES as castlevania 4

I'm in the minority who actually think that Simon's Quest was AND is still really good for it's time.
    Simon's Quest was tough for me initially, but a friend of mine got some maps and passwords off of a magazine (unsure if it was Nintendo Power or the dozen's of NES-related gaming mags at the time).
    What why? It solves the issue with CV1...it being "dated." I think CV1 holds up just fine myself, but CVIV pretty much solves everyone's "Problems" with CV1.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 5
    What why? It solves the issue with CV1...it being "dated." I think CV1 holds up just fine myself, but CVIV pretty much solves everyone's "Problems" with CV1.

my issue was that the effort could have been used on a more compelling story than just simply going through CV 1 with a "new" coat of paint on a new system. i agree that it "fixed" stuff but it could have been so much more.

hmm... i think it should have been called castlevania: dracula x, sounds a bit better.
    There's already a Dracula X on SNES. Its a super shitty "port" of Rondo of Blood. I mean it's ok, but CVIV is better then it is.

And a better story? What story? CVs story is climb to the top of the castle and waste Dracula. That's really not the focus here. Guess I'm just confused about expectations here. It would be one thing if the complaint was that they remade VC1 too many times, I could see, but a more compelling story? Really?

Man.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,128
    Battletoads really? IMO it holds better than Double Dragon
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    was thinking about explaining...

but i changed my mind.
    don't lose your shit too much over it.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,408

Kind of but you could control all your party members and iirc whilst inheritting abilities was a pain anything could inherit anything because of how random it was whilst in the games where you could choose certain personas couldn't inherit certain skills.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,361
    Spyro. Boring world, gameplay wasn't really that inventive.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    was thinking about explaining...

but i changed my mind.
    don't lose your shit too much over it.
    Why is it no one ever wants to have conversations in these threads? Just wanna say some shit then claim people responding to them are "losing their shit." Makes these threads a fucking waste of god damn space.
    Iduno wrote: »

Kind of but you could control all your party members and iirc whilst inheritting abilities was a pain anything could inherit anything because of how random it was whilst in the games where you could choose certain personas couldn't inherit certain skills.
    Yea but world navigation outside of dungeons is fucking ass. Boring as fucking hell.

Persona-3-Portable-1.jpg

Navigating the waking world as a blue dot. Amazingly fun and entertaning...........zzzzzzzzzz
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,228
    Iduno wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I wish Nintendo would release the Wizards & Warriors games to VC. They were developed by Rare and published by Acclaim, and have never shown up on VC or the Nintendo eshop. It's a shame, too. Those games were amazing. David Wise (of DKC fame) did their soundtracks.

They can't the rights to that game are ether owned by Rare/ Microsoft or worst Legal Limbo.

Like you will never ever see a Diddy Kong Racing VC port, Diddy is owned by Nintendo but everything else is strictly Rare/MS.
    There is a bunch of old Rare titles that are caught in Legal Limbo, anything Rare did for Acclaim/LJN and Milton Bradley.
    Its who ever the current rights older for Acclaim, isn't going to let the property go easily. Most likely some Lawyer set a holding company that is nothing more than a single office and a PO box as a shell to maintain the Copyright/trademarks.

Hang on, we got Diddy Kong Racing on the DS long after Microsoft bought Rare, if that can happen I don't see why it can't happen for the VC too.

Because that game was already in production when MS acquired Rare. Rare still was obligated to release the DS game, unless they want to cough up a huge fine for breaking contract with Nintendo.
    Hence why now every console has Minecraft despite the fast MS owns Mojang, Mojang signed contracts with Sony and Nintendo to support Minecraft on their systems.

And you know Markus Persons a.k.a. Notch did it on purpose before he sold the company for billions.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,221
    edited August 6
    Goldeneye

This. I really wish people would stop saying Goldeneye is better than Call of Duty. No you prefer to play goldeneye over Call of Duty.
    Post edited by abkallday on
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,196
    All it really had to begin with was split screen couch versus.

That I'm itself has aged very poorly.

Ironically when split screen couch coop is present its usually still a blast.
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 786
    edited August 6
    Truth be told, I just don't like shooters. However, if they happen to have 007 and not feature horrible level design I play them.
    Tebbo wrote: »
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210
    Tekken 1 looked bad when it came out. It came out after Virtua Fighter 2. Whatever your gameplay preference, Virtua Fighter 2 shit on Tekken 1 and hell Tekken 2 graphically.
    It's funny how a worse game can get more popular and outlast the better game just by not being on shitty consoles.
    i remember something about tekken having a much better port. maybe that was tekken 2 though. but at some point they became very close and that was huge.
    NAMCO System 12 (Tekken 3) was practically a PlayStation with more RAM and an overclocked CPU. SEGA Model 2 (Virtua Fighter 2) architecture was a generation ahead of the SEGA Titan architecture (Virtua Fighter Remix) used for the Saturn with respect to polygonal rendering and practically everything had to be converted to sprites to work with the Saturn, even if it featured nearly Arcade perfect ports of CPS2 and NeoGeo games. However, the Saturn was internally sabotaged by the head of the USA division. Many games released for both the PlayStation and Saturn played better on the Saturn and did not have the twitching polygon issue.

Edit: Fixed the error I made with System 12 and Tekken 3 (Tekken 1 and 2 ran on System 11).
    Post edited by NeverYouMind on
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,107 mod
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210

Tekken had the advantage of running on the same hardware in arcade and console.

Sega, despite having the lead in 3D in arcades, acted like idiots and made a 2D focused console.

A lot of the Saturn's arcade ports didn't age well - especially the Daytona ones (R.I.P. 60fps).
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 143
    Truth be told, I just don't like shooters. However, if they happen to have 007 and not feature horrible level design I play them.
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210
    However, the Saturn was internally sabotaged by the head of the USA division.

Weren't they butthurt about their hardware proposal being overlooked for the Japanese one that would become the Saturn? Or am I thinking of the Dreamcast?
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,107 mod
    edited August 6
    Every Gran Turismo on PS1 hasn't aged well due to framerate issues. Really noticeable compared to Namco's PS1 racers which had more stable framerates (especially R4, and the 60fps rerelease of Ridge Racer that came with it).
    Tekken 1
    latest?cb=20170227204210
    NAMCO System 11 (Tekken 1-3) was practically a PlayStation with more RAM and an overclocked CPU. SEGA Model 2 (Virtua Fighter 2) architecture was a generation ahead of the SEGA Titan architecture (Virtua Fighter Remix) used for the Saturn with respect to polygonal rendering and practically everything had to be converted to sprites to work with the Saturn, even if it featured nearly Arcade perfect ports of CPS2 and NeoGeo games. However, the Saturn was internally sabotaged by the head of the USA division. Many games released for both the PlayStation and Saturn played better on the Saturn and did not have the twitching polygon issue.
    System 11 wasn't overclocked. System 12 is.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,095
    edited August 6
    games that didn't age well?

- Panzer Dragoon
    - Splatterhouse OG series
    - Castlevania
    - Battletoads
    - TMNT Tournament Fighters

I could kinda see where you're coming from with most but.... Panzer Dragoon?! No way. That's one of Sega's all-time best series.

The presentation and art-style alone was top-notch, and Zwei is still a blast to play through.
  • RanmaRanma Boy-Type™ Joined: Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 6

The presentation and art-style alone was top-notch, and Zwei is still a blast to play through.

I agree with that. The fantastic soundtracks and the sheer fact that they're arcade-style shooters helps, too. Panzer Dragoon Saga, on the other hand, has aged much worse (graphically) being that it was an RPG... like pretty much every other polygon-based RPG.

For my addition to the thread, I'll just say Metal Gear Solid. Simply because, at the time, I thought it was the best looking game ever made. It was also one of my most-played games from that gen. But when I pop that original PSX version in now, it looks pretty horrible. I know we got Twin Snakes on the GameCube and all but I'd still like to see a modern remake of MGS. *sigh* Konami and their pachinko machine trash.

Edit: And I wholeheartedly agree that Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie have aged very well.

Post edited by Ranma on
    Sharp like an edge of a samurai sword,
    the mental blade cut through flesh and bone,
    though my mind's at peace, the world out of order,
    missin' the inner heat, life gets colder.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,845
    Other than the FMV sequences which look poor compared to FF7's Panzer Dragoon Saga is damn near a timeless classic.
  • RanmaRanma Boy-Type™ Joined: Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Other than the FMV sequences which look poor compared to FF7's Panzer Dragoon Saga is damn near a timeless classic.

Of course. The game as a whole will always be a timeless classic - it's one of all-time favorites. But the FMV cutscenes and the gameplay (save for when you're actually on your dragon) just haven't aged well in my opinion.

Sharp like an edge of a samurai sword,
    the mental blade cut through flesh and bone,
    though my mind's at peace, the world out of order,
    missin' the inner heat, life gets colder.
    I could kinda see where you're coming from with most but.... Panzer Dragoon?! No way. That's one of Sega's all-time best series.

PD II Zwei, yes. That is still hella cool but I personally prefer Orta as it looks better and has tons of stuff to unlock.
    The Panzer Dragoon franchise has lots of potential, dunno why Sega sitting on a shitload of IP's and not making new games even on mobile/handhelds.
    Damn, wish there was Altered Beast on mobile, that would be a blast.
    Yea id say PD1 hasnt ahed very well, its kinda stiff and clunky and it looks awful.

Rest of the series is pretty tops tho, with Orta being the crown jewel imo.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,845

PD II Zwei, yes. That is still hella cool but I personally prefer Orta as it looks better and has tons of stuff to unlock.
    The Panzer Dragoon franchise has lots of potential, dunno why Sega sitting on a shitload of IP's and not making new games even on mobile/handhelds.
    Damn, wish there was Altered Beast on mobile, that would be a blast.

Sega just doesn't believe they can make money from anything that isn't a mobile game or a Sonic crossover right now =/
    Phantasy Star Online producer talked about it back in 2015

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,228
    edited August 6
    Ranma wrote: »

I agree with that. The fantastic soundtracks and the sheer fact that they're arcade-style shooters helps, too. Panzer Dragoon Saga, on the other hand, has aged much worse (graphically) being that it was an RPG... like pretty much every other polygon-based RPG.

For my addition to the list, I'll just say Metal Gear Solid. Simply because, at the time, I thought it was the best looking game ever made. It was also one of my most-played games from that gen. But when I pop that original PSX version in now, it looks pretty horrible. I know we got Twin Snakes on the GameCube and all but I'd still like to see a modern remake of MGS. *sigh* Konami and their pachinko machine trash.

They rekt the textures and audio samples with compression to get more into the CDs.
    MGS 1 didn't use Videos for FMVs, they are done using in the in game engine in real time. That apparently save on Data space.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Ranma wrote: »

For my addition to the list, I'll just say Metal Gear Solid. Simply because, at the time, I thought it was the best looking game ever made. It was also one of my most-played games from that gen. But when I pop that original PSX version in now, it looks pretty horrible. I know we got Twin Snakes on the GameCube and all but I'd still like to see a modern remake of MGS. *sigh* Konami and their pachinko machine trash.

They rekt the textures and audio samples with compression to get more into the CDs.
    MGS 1 didn't use Videos for FMVs, they are done using in the in game engine in real time. That apparently save on Data space.

huh? MGS1?
    Sega just doesn't believe they can make money from anything that isn't a mobile game or a Sonic crossover right now =/

hmm... that was very informative.
    on a side note, I genuinely want Shenmue III to be a HUGE success.
    maybe it would remind Sega how much of a presence they were and how good the games they were putting out before.

I understand that as a business, they are trying to stay afloat but wouldn't it be a win for them and consumers if they really put some passion back into creating games [either old or new IP's].
    maybe that time has already passed...
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Raij1n I think in general the funky polygons from the N64/PS1 era look horrible and have aged much worse than NES/SNES/Genesis era graphics. They especially look bad upscaled to a modern TV.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    Raij1n wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid.

Used in game engine to capture cutscenses.

Saved a shit ton of space and processing. Also didn't break the game image. The visual style remains the same throughout.

Going from awesome looking fmv in FF7 to clunky ass polygons with nil visual personality is kind of a fissure.

Did he mean to quote me though? Cos I never brought up MGS

hmm... that was very informative.
    on a side note, I genuinely want Shenmue III to be a HUGE success.
    maybe it would remind Sega how much of a presence they were and how good the games they were putting out before.

I understand that as a business, they are trying to stay afloat but wouldn't it be a win for them and consumers if they really put some passion back into creating games [either old or new IP's].
    maybe that time has already passed...

Absofuckinglutely.

Their good IPs rot in obscurity though. Generally they always had a better product than what Nintendo brought to the table at least hardware wise.

The SMS was a superior machine in every regard expect overall library and marketing.

Genesis stood toe to toe, but Nintendo already had a cult. Hard to beat the hive in any market.

Saturn... While wicked, fell short of what it could've been for various reasons. The bastard child of its era. Shame its hardware is a pain in the ass to emulate. Solid arcade ports and library though.

Dreamcast... The swansong. Trying hard to make up for its predecessor and doing things beyond its timeline. Lots of off the wall ideas and pretty unique games for its day. The one that should've made it but simply didn't.

I hoped their brief liason with MS would've helped. GUNVALKYRIE and JSRF showed promise for the future of Sega, Shenmue 2 as well. . . But it never happened.

And now once great IPs from each generation see no light of day or get butchered. Makes me think of Sid's toychest in Toy Story.

Raij1n wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid.

Used in game engine to capture cutscenses.

Saved a shit ton of space and processing. Also didn't break the game image. The visual style remains the same throughout.

Going from awesome looking fmv in FF7 to clunky ass polygons with nil visual personality is kind of a fissure.

Did he mean to quote me though? Cos I never brought up MGS

You said ...

Huh? MGS1?
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 6
    I loved Brave Fencer Musashi, it was an awesome game, I would love to get an HD re-release, it looks terrible now.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file