Games that haven't aged well.

12357

Comments

  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,161
    I think there's a reason why most platformers didn't adopt NES Castlevania's jump physics...
    Prove your justice to society.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    I think there's a reason why most platformers didn't adopt NES Castlevania's jump physics...

    Yeah, they didn't have the brilliant level design to go with it.

    Y'all motherfuckers are going to have to cut this CV hating shit out immediately, with your Konami executive-looking asses.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    Super Mario Bros perfected jump mechanics the year before. Stiff uncontrollable jumps is fucking garbage. The level design isn't going to make up for that.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,137
    edited August 11
    My gaming experience is too limited to have a solid answer, but out of the stuff I've played, I think a game that hasn't aged well is the first Super Smash Bros on N64.

    The game was extremely clunky all around. Really slow and movement felt more of a pain than it needed to be, and that included when items were put into play. There isn't really anything there that would make you want to go back and play it compared to the newer stuff.

    Unlike say, Super Mario 64, which I still replay a lot.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed(?)
    Smash 4: Toon Link
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

    VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    edited August 11
    Castlevania's level design is worse than Ghosts n' Goblins as are the jump mechanics and combat mechanics. The only issue with the game is having to do everything again to get the real ending. That is bullshit!

    Super Smash Bros. is still pretty fun and there is less air control, so you are more likely to ring them out. I really hate having to do the bonus stages to get characters...

    I really do not like the GameCube layout for Super Smash Bros. Light, Heavy, Block, and Special as face buttons with a functional d-pad would be superior.
    Post edited by NeverYouMind on
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    When did this become the Unpopular Opinions thread?

    The jump mechanics are that way for a specific reason, and giving Belmont aerial control like Mario would trivialize the platforming to Symphony of the Night levels of jokes.

    CV's difficulty has a purpose and teaches you to master the mechanics... You are rewarded with the skill you gain as you play.

    GnG's difficulty serves only to frustrate with no reward, as any skill you accumulate is rendered moot by random enemy patterns, spawns, and "gotcha" set ups that don't make you better at playing. It extends the game artificially through said frustration and dirty tricks.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    edited August 11
    Ghosts n' Goblins is difficult because it asks a lot of a player not because its cumbersome like Castlevania.

    A button layout is just as much a topic of discussion for dated games and their mechanics.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    Having a specific purpose doesn't make it any less terrible.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,161
    po pimpus wrote: »
    The jump mechanics are that way for a specific reason, and giving Belmont aerial control like Mario would trivialize the platforming to Symphony of the Night levels of jokes.
    Difficulty gained by giving the player shit controls isn't well-designed difficulty.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    edited August 11
    Ghosts n Goblins is terribly designed, the fuck? Level design and enemy placement and design in that game is fucking terrible.

    FUCKING THANK YOU.

    Tell these ignorant motherfuckers again... I don't think they heard you.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Taking it way back--I'd say "Kung Fu" is another one...great fun at the time in the arcade era... but I wouldn't want to play it now.

    Also-- Operation Wolf... an "on rails/gallery" shooter from way back.... there's no reason to seriously go back and play that today. Even at the time it was just "ok", imo... one amusing thing is that you could shoot the person one of the bad guys was holding as a hostage....heh, one of the first instances I remember of a game allowing you to do something "bad" if you wanted to be an asshole.

    ...but really, after all the progress that has been made with games that now let you go anywhere or do anything at any time in the game's world... I wonder why anyone would bother with any kind of "on rails" shooter now..? I think it's good that this genre is mostly a relic of the past.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    edited August 11
    Ghosts n' Goblins is difficult because it asks a lot of a player not because its cumbersome like Castlevania.

    A button layout is just as much a topic of discussion for dated games and their mechanics.

    Have you never played Ghosts and Goblins?
    You can't alter your fucking jump arc in GnG unless you're talking about the Super Nintendo version, which is irrelevant because the Super Nintendo version of Castlevania has "better" controls as well.

    If any of the the two (classic CV vs classic GnG) is designed to take your coins and fuck you in the ass as much as possible it's definitely GnG because it's a fucking arcade game.
    While a fun game it's ridiculously shitty in level design. Can't count the number of times you had to rely on picking the right weapon up, avoiding every other weapon pick up and not dying in order to make passages doable without burning through all your lives.

    While that shit also happens in Castlevania, at least you always got your whip as backup, while GnG often just cripples you with shitty weapons.
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts is slightly more bearable and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is the only game that's still playable without ripping your fucking hair out.

    Castlevania 1 actually shows you what it's fucking you in the ass with beforehand and gives you time to prepare. GnG just throws you into a meat grinder and if you want to have any hope of succeeding you better memorize all that shit.
    Post edited by ArtVandelay on
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    edited August 11
    No, you can't even memorize shit because there are sections where you have to pray RNGesus decides to not fuck you over.

    Castlevania takes from the Mega Man school of letting you practice a specific setup in a controlled environment before throwing you off the cliff.

    Anytime you die in CV, it's because you fucked up a jump, tried to rush, or otherwise miscalculated.

    GnG has spots where you literally have to get lucky in order to proceed unharmed... Hell, there are spots where it's more optimal to eat a hit in order to get through.

    The fuck kind of design is that?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,100 mod
    edited August 11
    RNG the platformer being better than CV? Y'all trippin.

    Stuff in the game (such as jumping) is designed the way it is because it was meant to be different from your typical platformer of the day. Weightier, less jumpy and twitchy than your typical Marios or GnG. It's something that the Souls series does in a similar manner to differentiate itself from other action/hack and slash RPGs. Platforming in CV is meant to be more deliberate in the same way combat in Souls is meant to be more deliberate.

    Yes, the later games refine this formula, and make it less punishing, but every pre-SoTN 2D 'Vania game still has this.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

    If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    Tell them again.

    Jumping in CV is a commitment- You make damn sure you can make it and that nothing will jump out at you before pressing that A button.

    A jump in CV is like pressing a button in a fighting game... you don't do it without having thought and a plan behind it.

    I have seen some dumb shit on this forum, but this "CV is bad design, and RNG ass GnG is great" crap is up there with the shit that thoroughly enrages me at my core...

    Of all the Capcpom dicksucking that occurs around here, this is one of the worst examples.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 574
    Battletoads in Battlemaniacs is bad, I used to love that game when came out, not anymore...
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    You going to be a hype man for anyone who agrees with you, Po? I don't care why the jumps are the way they are in Castlevania. Jumping was a chore in that game and easily it's biggest flaw. How don't you can champion the jumping when the stiffness of them got fixed in the sequels.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,340
    edited August 11
    I think there's a reason why most platformers didn't adopt NES Castlevania's jump physics...

    One of the things you're missing is that the lack of mobility in the earlier CV games is what kept the balance. The enemies were legit threats because you couldn't simply jump over them like you can in SoTN, or whip them from farther away like you can in SCV4. They make already tight level design in CV1 even better because they're more than just obstacles, they're actual threats.

    If we liken balance in CV to fighting games, CV1 Simon is probably akin to Ryu. He has an answer to everything, but none of those answers are overwhelmingly amazing (unless you factor in busted multishot Holy Water.) You get into the later games, SCV4 Simon is like ST Vega, he can fuck up his enemies without them even knowing what happened, and Alucard in SoTN is basically SamSho2 Ukyo, who none of his enemies really have a prayer of defeating once he gets to a certain level.

    I love SoTN and SCV4, but the abilities they give the player actually work against the environments those characters exist in and undermine them to a certain degree. I'm betting some of you guys who don't like the jump physics are younger and have grown up with games where you are able to control your jumps, though I'm a bit older and played these games when they came out, so that might account for some of it.

    I think @po pimpus @crotchpuncha & @ArtVandelay did a great job in explaining why CV is better designed than GnG. Although they were both designed as arcade games, CV1 is "complex" whereas GnG is merely "complicated," the difference being that a smart phone is complex; it has reasons why it is what it is, while IRS tax code is just complicated seemingly for the sake obfuscation.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm playing Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS and goddamnit this game is broken, glitchy, fucked up mess hahaha. Gen 1 hasn't aged well at all.

    Dragonite can't fly, moves with 100% accuracy still miss, how can Dodrio fly and not Dragonite?? That's some BS!

    And Misty maaaaan this bitch destroys poor Charmander he doesn't have a chance. I seriously thought Bubblebeam was the best move in the game as a kid, that's how many times I got destroyed. You can't pick Pikachu because he gets fucked up, Nidoking gets fucked up, Pidgeotto gets fucked up, see this is why everybody picked Bulbasaur and rape that bitch. Blastoise is cool too but he doesn't have any moves, but I always liked his design.
    I'm sorry. Humor me!!
    Fightcade: Ephidel
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 11
    DoctaMario wrote: »

    You are objectively wrong with these two. Castlevania 1 is a game that any designer trying to design a great game would be wise to look at. The level design, enemy placement, item placement, etc are all pretty much flawless. Add to that it's got really cool atmosphere that still stands up. I do agree with you that Simon's Quest is a great game. Same thing in regards to atmosphere.

    Splatterhouse I'll always have a soft spot for. The arcade version of the 1st game is still fantastic imo. 3 is a little weird so I could see your point there but 2 on Genesis is also a great game.

    Well, the discussion and topic IS subjective. Not sure why you would think I was being objective about that statement. On topic though, the progression of the Splatterhouse series went from great to mediocre, especially the PS3 version which is a disservice to the series imo.

    As far as the 8-bit Castlevania games are concerned, Simon's Quest and Castlevania III actually aged well but CV 1 hasn't imo and seeing the responses from other people in the thread, it's pretty polarizing. Can't please everyone.
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    Actually Sega just released a bunch of old school Genesis games on mobile.

    I've recently seen those and some feedback from other people saying the emulation has improved a bit from the previous apps on offer from Sega.
    Post edited by tataa8P on
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Million wrote: »
    Taking it way back--I'd say "Kung Fu" is another one...great fun at the time in the arcade era... but I wouldn't want to play it now.

    Also-- Operation Wolf... an "on rails/gallery" shooter from way back.... there's no reason to seriously go back and play that today. Even at the time it was just "ok", imo... one amusing thing is that you could shoot the person one of the bad guys was holding as a hostage....heh, one of the first instances I remember of a game allowing you to do something "bad" if you wanted to be an asshole.

    ...but really, after all the progress that has been made with games that now let you go anywhere or do anything at any time in the game's world... I wonder why anyone would bother with any kind of "on rails" shooter now..? I think it's good that this genre is mostly a relic of the past.

    I concur on the archaic aspect of on-rail shooters. Looking back now, it was very limiting and linear; even if it was updated with hi-res graphics, modern gaming consumers wouldn't be too kind to the restrictions the game imposes on players.

    Props also for bringing up Warframe. I'm re-installing it soon. Oops, sorry for going off on a tangent there... That was on another thread lol
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    edited August 12
    Ghosts n' Goblins is difficult because it asks a lot of a player not because its cumbersome like Castlevania.

    A button layout is just as much a topic of discussion for dated games and their mechanics.

    Have you never played Ghosts and Goblins?
    You can't alter your fucking jump arc in GnG unless you're talking about the Super Nintendo version, which is irrelevant because the Super Nintendo version of Castlevania has "better" controls as well.

    If any of the the two (classic CV vs classic GnG) is designed to take your coins and fuck you in the ass as much as possible it's definitely GnG because it's a fucking arcade game.
    While a fun game it's ridiculously shitty in level design. Can't count the number of times you had to rely on picking the right weapon up, avoiding every other weapon pick up and not dying in order to make passages doable without burning through all your lives.

    While that shit also happens in Castlevania, at least you always got your whip as backup, while GnG often just cripples you with shitty weapons.
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts is slightly more bearable and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is the only game that's still playable without ripping your fucking hair out.

    Castlevania 1 actually shows you what it's fucking you in the ass with beforehand and gives you time to prepare. GnG just throws you into a meat grinder and if you want to have any hope of succeeding you better memorize all that shit.
    Yes, as a matter of fact I just played Ghosts N' Goblins back to back with Castlevania 1. While you cannot alter your jump arc much in GnG (it can be lengthened by the use of attack with jump and movement) you can alter the landing direction and turning is a breeze. The jumping and movement are a much more effective tactic to avoiding most enemies than in Castlevania. You are correct that a lot of items need to be avoided because they are garbage. However, getting a dagger or shield cross makes the game very manageable and the game is made easier by the level select code (and using save states makes it even easier). There are patterns to enemies and where they spawn, but it is challenging because they have the ability to swarm you quickly and overwhelm your senses. The level design has a great amount of platforming (unlike Castlevania) and a few alternative paths to take. The enemy placement is not so much a problem as the amount of damage they can sometimes take. The biggest problem in the game is a lack of lives and checkpoints as it is easy to push through a previous section only to die to something that is placed in an unfamiliar way further in the level.

    In contrast, Castlevania has a relatively useful bunch of RNG weapons with the watch being the antithesis of challenge as most bosses can be frozen solid with it long enough to deplete their entire life. Certain breakable blocks generously contain power ups and health and certain candles drop a book that kills everything on screen. Most levels consist of stairs that are a pain in the ass to use in coordination with items depending on enemy direction and are unnecessarily slow to climb/descend. The few platforms there are are made challenging by weak directional jumping and flying enemies knocking the character off when grounded due to clumsy turning and movement. The game is much easier to beat and therefore much more friendly to the average player. To me that does not make it better as I would rather sprint to my death in a blaze of glory than walk toward the finish line while being weighted down.

    P.S. Complex and complicated are synonyms, unlike convoluted (extremely difficult to follow), which is not the word that would describe either game outside of maybe the item use on stairs in Castlevania as it presents some awkward situations. The item use in Castlevania is a double edged sword with respect to complexity as it trivializes many challenges in the game, but it is really the only thing saving the game from complete mediocrity.

    P.S.S. There is no balance in either title like the one attained in Nintendo's NES Super Mario Bros. games, Konami's golden era beat 'em ups, or Capcom's Darkwing Duck where the cost of doing something wrong is almost equal to the benefit of doing something right with a slight handicap. There are certainly better games later in each franchise. I have little commitment to either.

    P.S.S.S. It is my opinion that Dark Souls has no balance. It just has cannon fodder enemies, overpowered bosses, easily exploitable patterns, easily exploitable hitbox/hurtbox shenanigans, and arbitrary stamina limitations. The franchise is polarizing as few people appear to have a moderate opinion on it.

    P.S.S.S. Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles is the best rail shooter I have ever played. It makes a lot more sense than most of the Resident Evil games. It acts as a responsive, abridged, high definition version of all the convoluted shit that happens in Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica and even contains a set of segments that illuminates the relationship between Leon and Krauser. I would certainly welcome more rail shooters with that quality. I think there are quite a few games that could make the transition flawlessly.
    Post edited by NeverYouMind on
  • NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 670
    I liked the jumping on a lot of NES games, but Super Mario Bros. 3 is very flexible with its platforming and has fun level design.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,340
    edited August 12
    Pants on head lunacy

    You obviously prefer games that are the equivalent of punching yourself in the dick.

    So useful subweapons, stairs, and balance are bad things? Got it. Totally makes sense.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,400
    Ephidel wrote: »
    I'm playing Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS and goddamnit this game is broken, glitchy, fucked up mess hahaha. Gen 1 hasn't aged well at all.

    Dragonite can't fly, moves with 100% accuracy still miss, how can Dodrio fly and not Dragonite?? That's some BS!

    And Misty maaaaan this bitch destroys poor Charmander he doesn't have a chance. I seriously thought Bubblebeam was the best move in the game as a kid, that's how many times I got destroyed. You can't pick Pikachu because he gets fucked up, Nidoking gets fucked up, Pidgeotto gets fucked up, see this is why everybody picked Bulbasaur and rape that bitch. Blastoise is cool too but he doesn't have any moves, but I always liked his design.
    The battle mechanics are shit but it's a better single player game than the rest of the pokemon series could ever be. I think it's the pokemon fanbase turning an rpg into a competitive multi-player game is the worst thing ever. I'd trade in all of the stuff that other stuff for a good game tbh.

    Like just for one game it would be awesome for Nintendo to give up on the competitive community.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    All this Pokemon as an RPG talk is bananas af
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,228
    edited August 12
    Pokemon is absolutely an RPG. Mental to think otherwise.

    Personally think the games peaked with Gen 3.

    The only good things after that were online trades, and TMs being reusable.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • VoltVolt Joined: Posts: 1,405
    Pokémon is competitive with the single player boring story being an rpg.

    And the best gen was obviously 4. 3 came close because of its superior Battle Frontier, but some mechanics held it back, like the lack of a move-based Physical/Special split.
    5 was a weather team snooze fest with a boring region and ugly sprites and 6 can be beaten blindfolded by a child.

    Speaking of Gen 5 though. Aged horribly. Most of the sprites were already pretty bad, but besides the graphics and competitive bias, both games were stupid linear.
    For a region based on the USA, Unova seriously lacked freedom. Not to mention that Hard mode was nothing but a grindfest. Hack levels of uninspired.

    At least BW2 had the World Tournament, which was pretty sick. Miss the Gen 3 Battle Frontier though.
    If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,228
    The physical/special split by move was good too. Forgot about that.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • VoltVolt Joined: Posts: 1,405
    Speaking of Pokémon, GSC. The level curve is absolutely atrocious.

    The Gen 3 Hoenn games kinda had this problem too, especially early game, where Roxanne had a Lv.15 with the stronger wilds floating around 7-8 and the strongest trainer reaching 10 or 11.

    Enjoy a 2h long grindfest to evolve Torchic.

    Nothing compares to Gen 2's level curve though. That was way too dumb, it made no sense.
    If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,228
    Didn't a really early gym leader in Gen 2 have a really tanky pokemon with Rollout?
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • VoltVolt Joined: Posts: 1,405
    Didn't a really early gym leader in Gen 2 have a really tanky pokemon with Rollout?

    Miltank was more of a scrub killer than anything.

    Sure it was tanky and Attract is seriously annoying, but there was a Dig TM nearby to dodge Rollout, you could status it, there was an in-game trade of a Machop in the Mart for an Abra and you could buy an Abra at the gamecorner for a 100 Coins (2k bucks), you could spam Mud-Slap for Accuracy cheese...

    Most people who really had issues with it didn't had a Geodude, were scrubs and relied on Quilava.
    If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,110
    Ghosts and Goblins is pretty clunky but Daimakaimura/Ghouls and Ghosts is a masterpiece of the genre and a notch above the best Castlevania (which are still great games, but not as tight as an arcade game is).

    Magnificient level design, visuals, enemies and bosses, fun and varied weapons and excellent use of RNG. Only flaw is that a couple of weapons are garbage and you need to actively avoid them to win. Still top 5 Capcom game, easily.
  • YunaYuna Politically correct as fuck since 2006 Joined: Posts: 7,475
    The gameplay in Final Fantasy VII aged about as well as the graphics did (ha ha ha Popeye arms ha ha). Playing it as someone who began with later games in the series, I remember being really perplexed at certain mechanics, such as being unable to use a basic attack when your limit gauge is full and the "it's 3D now so we better make the most of it" dungeon design.

    Super Mario RPG has charm for days and I think it's aged very well graphically, but in terms of its gameplay, it's insultingly easy and the combat is very repetitive. Most enemy attacks are functionally identical and the designs for them get lazy after a while (Sword Rain and Arrow Rain). Additionally, a lot of the minigames are jump puzzles and exercises in frustration.

    These are both games I really like, by the way.

    Also, since I might as well take my two big favorites down a peg, the facial animations in Final Fantasy X and X-2 are more cringey today than Tidus's laughing in that one scene which is awkward and uncomfortable on purpose that's the point you fucking idiots.
    "Here's the thing, kids: words mean things, and most of what gets slagged as 'political correctness' is really just being nice, and most of the 'righteous complainers' are simply jerkwads who don't think certain people or groups deserve their niceness. If you're a guy, and you've ever uttered something along the lines of 'dude, sexual harrassment doesn't exist. That's just something chicks make up when they change their minds,' guess what, bro. You're not the lone hero standing up to feminist PC police. You're a pig."
    --Bob Chipman
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,794
    The laughing is intentionally awkward.

    The dubbing is not. It's just bad.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

    I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    Super Mario RPG is one of a handful of games I will constantly replay-- It's an all-time classic.

    Yes, it's easy, but you can make it a bit tougher on yourself by doing no equip/low-level runs, and the battle tedium is a symptom of all RPGs... To this day, The World Ends With You is the only RPG I was willingly looking for fights to engage in; It's combat is so diverse and creative.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,711
    Ephidel wrote: »
    I'm playing Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS and goddamnit this game is broken, glitchy, fucked up mess hahaha. Gen 1 hasn't aged well at all.

    Dragonite can't fly, moves with 100% accuracy still miss, how can Dodrio fly and not Dragonite?? That's some BS!

    And Misty maaaaan this bitch destroys poor Charmander he doesn't have a chance. I seriously thought Bubblebeam was the best move in the game as a kid, that's how many times I got destroyed. You can't pick Pikachu because he gets fucked up, Nidoking gets fucked up, Pidgeotto gets fucked up, see this is why everybody picked Bulbasaur and rape that bitch. Blastoise is cool too but he doesn't have any moves, but I always liked his design.

    I mentioned red and blue earlier in the thread. Yeah looking back at gen1 now. You would think no one bothered to actually play test the game.

    Several glitches, bugs and broken shit include

    .When slash is used by a poke that is faster than it's target. It's always a critical hit
    .Wrap and Fire Spin flat out made it so that the target can't battle until the move misses. So if you're lucky you can fire spin or wrap your foe to death without them getting a turn to attack.
    Fire wasn't super effective against ice nor did it resist it
    When hyperbeam KO's a foe. It doesn't require a reacharge
    Amnesia was the most busted stat boosting move of all time due to special being one stat
    Only 3 moves did super effective damage to psychics. Pin missle, twin needle and lick. Which the strongest was like a base power of 30
    When slept. the turn used to wake up counts as your turn. So if one is lucky enough they can keep sleeping their foe and attacking till they're KO'd
    Vine Whip for some stupid fucking reason only had 10pp. You have any idea how much of a bitch it is to get through rock tunel with that shit???

    And the list goes on


  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,161
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Super Mario RPG is one of a handful of games I will constantly replay-- It's an all-time classic.

    Yes, it's easy, but you can make it a bit tougher on yourself by doing no equip/low-level runs, and the battle tedium is a symptom of all RPGs... To this day, The World Ends With You is the only RPG I was willingly looking for fights to engage in; It's combat is so diverse and creative.
    There are few things Super Mario RPG does that Paper Mario didn't significantly improve on; hence why the former ages poorly.

    Also if you think tedious combat is a necessary evil in RPGs, maybe play more RPGs?
    Prove your justice to society.
  • VoltVolt Joined: Posts: 1,405
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    Ephidel wrote: »
    I'm playing Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS and goddamnit this game is broken, glitchy, fucked up mess hahaha. Gen 1 hasn't aged well at all.

    Dragonite can't fly, moves with 100% accuracy still miss, how can Dodrio fly and not Dragonite?? That's some BS!

    And Misty maaaaan this bitch destroys poor Charmander he doesn't have a chance. I seriously thought Bubblebeam was the best move in the game as a kid, that's how many times I got destroyed. You can't pick Pikachu because he gets fucked up, Nidoking gets fucked up, Pidgeotto gets fucked up, see this is why everybody picked Bulbasaur and rape that bitch. Blastoise is cool too but he doesn't have any moves, but I always liked his design.

    I mentioned red and blue earlier in the thread. Yeah looking back at gen1 now. You would think no one bothered to actually play test the game.

    Several glitches, bugs and broken shit include

    .When slash is used by a poke that is faster than it's target. It's always a critical hit
    .Wrap and Fire Spin flat out made it so that the target can't battle until the move misses. So if you're lucky you can fire spin or wrap your foe to death without them getting a turn to attack.
    Fire wasn't super effective against ice nor did it resist it
    When hyperbeam KO's a foe. It doesn't require a reacharge
    Amnesia was the most busted stat boosting move of all time due to special being one stat
    Only 3 moves did super effective damage to psychics. Pin missle, twin needle and lick. Which the strongest was like a base power of 30
    When slept. the turn used to wake up counts as your turn. So if one is lucky enough they can keep sleeping their foe and attacking till they're KO'd
    Vine Whip for some stupid fucking reason only had 10pp. You have any idea how much of a bitch it is to get through rock tunel with that shit???

    And the list goes on


    Fire definitely was SE against Ice. It didn't resist it though. Neutral damage. It might have changed later more for balance purposes than common sense though.

    Slash and any high CH Rate move like Razor Leaf or Crabhammer were almost guaranteed CH's regardless of speed.

    Body Slam never paralyzing Normal-types was lulzy as well.

    It got really obvious that some of these were straight up glitches when they got patched in Stadium 1 though, like the Hyper Beam one.

    Pin Missile was clutch against Psychics though. Made Jolteon the only Electric besides Zapdos that wasn't completely walled.

    Most types were gimped by simply having weak moves through a lot of generations. Grass and Bug instantly come to mind.
    Dragon and Ghost too, but Ghost at least had Shadow Ball post Gen 2 (Which was pointless for the ghosts themselves because "lol Ghost is a Physical-type.") and Outrage because it was weak and pretty exploitable.
    If anyone is crazy enough to fight someone from Rio in SFV's terrible online, CFN is Volt-Ikazuchi.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Super Mario RPG is one of a handful of games I will constantly replay-- It's an all-time classic.

    Yes, it's easy, but you can make it a bit tougher on yourself by doing no equip/low-level runs, and the battle tedium is a symptom of all RPGs... To this day, The World Ends With You is the only RPG I was willingly looking for fights to engage in; It's combat is so diverse and creative.
    There are few things Super Mario RPG does that Paper Mario didn't significantly improve on; hence why the former ages poorly.

    Also if you think tedious combat is a necessary evil in RPGs, maybe play more RPGs?

    Please learn to read and comprehend.

    Tedious, repetitive battles are inevitable in most RPGs by simple fact that fighting is usually the only way to gain more abilities and strength... Doing something over and over again is bound to become boring eventually.

    Ironically, the game I mentioned having fun battles also has other ways to gain skills and experience outside of fighting. The World Ends With You features EXP gain for your Pins even while the game is turned off, doing Street pass stuff, or playing Tin Pin Slammer. Also, you can gain new Pins in shops or in Street pass, or by sleep experience changing the way certain Pins evolve and grow.

    Also, Super Mario RPG shits on Paper Mario free.

    Stay in your lane, and out of my way.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    Played about half of SMRPG last year, thought it was boring as shit. Nice writing but the gameplay was very dull.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The World's Strongest Joined: Posts: 3,161
    po pimpus wrote: »
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Super Mario RPG is one of a handful of games I will constantly replay-- It's an all-time classic.

    Yes, it's easy, but you can make it a bit tougher on yourself by doing no equip/low-level runs, and the battle tedium is a symptom of all RPGs... To this day, The World Ends With You is the only RPG I was willingly looking for fights to engage in; It's combat is so diverse and creative.
    There are few things Super Mario RPG does that Paper Mario didn't significantly improve on; hence why the former ages poorly.

    Also if you think tedious combat is a necessary evil in RPGs, maybe play more RPGs?

    Please learn to read and comprehend.

    Tedious, repetitive battles are inevitable in most RPGs by simple fact that fighting is usually the only way to gain more abilities and strength... Doing something over and over again is bound to become boring eventually.

    Ironically, the game I mentioned having fun battles also has other ways to gain skills and experience outside of fighting. The World Ends With You features EXP gain for your Pins even while the game is turned off, doing Street pass stuff, or playing Tin Pin Slammer. Also, you can gain new Pins in shops or in Street pass, or by sleep experience changing the way certain Pins evolve and grow.

    Also, Super Mario RPG shits on Paper Mario free.

    Stay in your lane, and out of my way.

    You don't need to tell me how TWEWY works; it's one of my top two games.

    Again, I'd say that you need to play more RPGs, because plenty of RPGs (especially WRPGs) give you EXP for completing quests, or finding new areas, or other things that aren't combat. Also, if your combat systems aren't one-note and autopilot, then battling is no longer tedious. And if you design a balanced EXP curve, you won't have to grind for sufficient EXP in the first place, which further reduces tedium.

    Thousand Year Door is king.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    4 player Konami beat-em-ups. They were so awesome as a kid, couldn't get enough of them. Turtles and Simpsons were the pinnacle of fun in the arcade. Even when TMNT 2 came home for the NES and we could finally play the arcade (kinda) version at home it was great.

    But now they are basically mind-numbingly unplayable. The only interest is in trying to one-credit them, and even then it's not fun.