Martial Masters anyone?

Comments

• lukass64lukass64 Joined: Posts: 50
    Finally got this damn thing to work.
    1. Get newest Nebula 225b
    2. Get PGM bios or PolyGame Master
    4. unzip nebula
    then learn the moves! I don't know what the hell I'm doing in this game. When I have time I'll figure out all the moves.
    Closed arcade in Nara :(
  • caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    4. unzip nebula
    then learn the moves! I don't know what the hell I'm doing in this game. When I have time I'll figure out all the moves.

They have this game at Pearl Ridge Mall. It'd probably be better playing there since last i heard, it wasn't emulated properly. That was like 6-7 yrs ago though, don't know if they still have it.
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,282
    They still got this at my local arcade. I really don't think those infinites work in the arcade version, they are emu only. Discuss.
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    you can roll the ghost kick one
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!! Joined: Posts: 1,134
    Man, someone needs to insert PGM support to FBA and play this shit on 2DF/GGPO... sad that the PGM emulation is still somewhat ackward, i read on others site that the game got in-game errors and it doesnt play exactly like the real thing, but i dont know if this is true.
    Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.
  • The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,282
    since WHP got picked up, this is the only western-friendly fighting game I can think of that still needs to get blown up. Ring of Destruction as well, but that's not likely to happen.
  • Gen-AnGen-An 何で彼女出来ない? Joined: Posts: 616
    the TILT in savannah, georgia had this in a sit down cab... yet they somehow couldnt fork the dough over for a decent cvs2, 3s, or proper sized mvc2 machine.

That's the only place I ever saw this game!
    Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty
  • samurai10000samurai10000 Joined: Posts: 228
    Anyone know what the purpose of the internet password is.
  • catchafirecatchafire My Crew Joined: Posts: 2,496
    Finally got this to work... On Nebula, but the sound and visuals are crappy... It would be nice if I could get it to work on Mame (does it play better on mame?), but I can't even get KOF 98 to work on mame which i'm desperately trying to figure out. If anyone has some tips, contact me through pm or the forum.
    The best thing you can give a person is your time.
  • Clear SkyClear Sky Wolf Shirt Joined: Posts: 3,301
    4. unzip nebula

I tried to the different versions and combos still aren't working properly for me.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQA-KTzaPA
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
  • P-EP-E Joined: Posts: 4
    They still got this at my local arcade. I really don't think those infinites work in the arcade version, they are emu only. Discuss.

in fact Crane infinite works on both arcade versions ^^
    for ghost you can roll on the ground to avoid it
  • NEBULOSONEBULOSO Joined: Posts: 275
    Anyone know what the purpose of the internet password is.

IGS had a really good section on their site dedicated to Martial Masters, which they took down for some unknown reason, before I could see what the code did.... They could have been the codes for Crazy and Expert mode, and maybe....

I'm still working on seeing if there is some type of code for playing as TLM (True Lotus Master)?. I did see on a French forum, someone had modded his MM cart so he was able to play as TLM.. And it looks like there's an extra slot on the character select screen as well.
    ОМРАЧЕННЫЙ ЛЕОПАРД
  • General DeamondGeneral Deamond Aye Chihuahua! Joined: Posts: 331
    I'm still working on seeing if there is some type of code for playing as TLM (True Lotus Master)?. I did see on a French forum, someone had modded his MM cart so he was able to play as TLM.. And it looks like there's an extra slot on the character select screen as well.

I still don't see TLM as being selectable, especially if it is the un-altered version of the TLM you fight last. The only way I can see him as being selectable is through a mod, like you mentioned.
    "Wet with your blood I sharpen my sword, no turning the other cheek like a coward. Come tomorrow I may lay down and die, but not this day...this day we fight!" - Megadeth
  • General DeamondGeneral Deamond Aye Chihuahua! Joined: Posts: 331
    There are infinites in the arcade version (I'm basing this off the U.S. version). I think Crane has one, and I'm pretty sure there is someone else who has one too. The emu version, last time I checked, was not very close to the arcade version and had more infinites in it.
    "Wet with your blood I sharpen my sword, no turning the other cheek like a coward. Come tomorrow I may lay down and die, but not this day...this day we fight!" - Megadeth
  • thrazzthrazz Joined: Posts: 175
    FBA has support for Martial Masters now and it runs pretty well:

http://www.barryharris.me.uk/fba.php
  • VEGA_OMEGAVEGA_OMEGA Has Magic Bullets Joined: Posts: 999
    Mm ftw!

Oh man, I never thought i'd see the day....

I've been playing Martial Masters for so long. I still think it's the most underrated Fighting Game to date.

If I wasn't so lazy i'd do a comprehensive CMV on it.

I was looking through my external HDD and found this old clip that I recorded when I had a PGM mobo and the game. However, this is rollable. And it only works on certain characters. I had other stuff recorded too, but I think it got deleted....

Also, the emu version is just a port of the actual arcade version (obviously) so if you can do it in an emulator you can do it on the actual hardware.

http://rapidshare.com/files/243278299/ghostkick.rar
    I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.
    drunken master has an infinite too in last arcade version
    FBA has support for Martial Masters now and it runs pretty well:

http://www.barryharris.me.uk/fba.php

Yep. It runs perfect now! Thanks!
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
  • CUTWESTCUTWEST IMM'A....BAAAAST! Ya' Mirin'? Joined: Posts: 1,739
  • EtotheNGSPDEtotheNGSPD Gief Power Joined: Posts: 882
    martial masters is a fucking awesome game, i play crane, and ghost kick, they rock.
    The Next time we meet im going to break your arms.
    Spun Uncontrollably Skyward... Driven Brutaly Into the Ground.
    Zangief's express line is Open who, is Next???
    Thanks to Luciano Leone, that AV is Fucking Awesome Bro.
  • ProphestusProphestus Martial Masters LP Joined: Posts: 336
    Time to get back on that Martial Masters tip...Possibly one of the best games ever
  • fallotfallot Joined: Posts: 1,475
    am i the only one who got this to work on mame? lol

No one ever got it to work on MAME. It runs, sure, but whole moves are missing and other such nonsense. Its a totally different game.

So keeping past emulation problems in mind, how can we be sure that it runs accurately in this FBA release? Does anyone have experience with the Arcade version? Clear Sky?
    No one ever got it to work on MAME. It runs, sure, but whole moves are missing and other such nonsense. Its a totally different game.

So keeping past emulation problems in mind, how can we be sure that it runs accurately in this FBA release? Does anyone have experience with the Arcade version? Clear Sky?

I never got a chance to play the arcade version, but so far MM on FBA seems good to me. I'm not having any problems doing the same stuff in these combo videos that predate this new FBA release.
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
  • NEBULOSONEBULOSO Joined: Posts: 275

I have the pgm (arcade) version, and had the mame version, but there was too many problems with the speed, control, sound, moves etc.... That and it would crash after a few minutes of playing..
    I'm working on getting my pc running again, so I can get a mame set-up like Clear Sky has, so I can test Martial Masters and see how close it is..

General Deamond also has the arcade pcb as well, so he can check as well..
    how pratical are the infinites? like in high level play? i don't recall seeing a combo breaker feature or burst.

There is a burst feature, but it's more like an alpha counter.
    And the supposed Ghost Kick infinite combo? You're able to roll out of it, not to mention he was using mame for his Martial Masters videos. But the Crane infinite is possible in the arcade version, but it's frame specific..
    ОМРАЧЕННЫЙ ЛЕОПАРД
    YES!!! The MAME version of this game is complete ass. Shitty. DO NOT PLAY. Most def go with the new FBA version.

But the sound is still shitty. Any help/suggestions?

I'm gonna try to download different roms of the game and see what happens

Sound should work fine with the new FBA release. I don't know why you wasted your time trying the game out on MAME when a bunch of people here said it was unplayable...
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    does anyone still play fighters on Kaillera?

it'd be nice to get a scene going for this game as well.

Yes, people still do. Just ask for games on Godweapon or something.
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
  • fallotfallot Joined: Posts: 1,475
    and yeah, you guys were right. mame version is bad. very in fact! i wasn't paying attention to how BAD the input lag was, i just thought that's how difficult it was to do moves/combos period.

Its not input lag, the combos just don't work period. They don't exist.
    Crane is for me the god tier of this game
    easy infinite almost doable from ohter side of screen
    air throw , unblockable , air and ground needle
    what else !!
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    You're are going to get banned for #3 I would edit that quick.
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    oh shit how did I not find this thread

can we merge topics?
    oh shit how did I not find this thread

can we merge topics?

Your thread adds nothing. There's no point to do a merge.
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    Master Huang FTW?
  • m216xlegendxm216xlegendx samsho cluck Joined: Posts: 380
    Can some one please PM me the name of and where i can get the FBA that runs this game. MY FBA wont run it, i played on mame and it sucks :), please some one help me. Or nebula link or something, thanks.
    You couldnt beat the shi& out a bag of shi%.
    Can some one please PM me the name of and where i can get the FBA that runs this game. MY FBA wont run it, i played on mame and it sucks :), please some one help me. Or nebula link or something, thanks.

Check the 67th post in this thread.
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    Check the 67th post in this thread.

thanks alot but i have already been there, i am computer stupid, i dont understand what to DL. i downloaded uni code binary and extracted it and it wont work, its says I have to reinstall it cause some file is missing.
    thanks alot but i have already been there, i am computer stupid, i dont understand what to DL. i downloaded uni code binary and extracted it and it wont work, its says I have to reinstall it cause some file is missing.

What are you trying to run? Martial Masters? Do you know that you need the PGM bios to run the game?
    Jazzy NYC '99!
    Team Wack
    1. Discussion on how to acquire illegal copyrighted material(roms, bootleg movies, albums, games, torrents of currently available DVDs/games) will result in an immediate ban. That includes posts consisting of "PM that shit down" and the like, providing links, etc.

10char
    What are you trying to run? Martial Masters? Do you know that you need the PGM bios to run the game?

the emulator wont even open.

EDIT- i figured it out, the game is awsome, Iroha in ss6 is a crane clone:)
  • Gwyrgyn BloodGwyrgyn Blood Joined: Posts: 682
    Hey ya'll, I've got the cart of this game and have done a lot of testing so I figured I'd share.

Lets get this out of the way:
    Tiger infinite
    (corner) close C - 4+B - 623+A-236+A-6+A -
    623+A - 236+A - 6+A - [623+A(whiff) - 236+A - 6+A] x n

Crane infinite
    J2C - C - 6A - 236A - 236A - 236+B+C -
    C - 623+C - C - [623D - J214A] x n

(corner)4+A+B - (After Jump)2C - C - 6+A(1hit) - 214+B+C -
    [JC - A - C - 6+A(1hit) - 214+B+C] x n
    opponents must be monk

(because every loops gain 1 guage , so can become infinite

First of all, all of these infinites WORK in the real version of the game. I don't know why people in here were claiming they don't. I tested them on the PGM cart and they work as normal, and they also work in FBA as well.

Tiger and Crain juggle infinites work simply because some moves have the property of always being able to connect in a juggle, regardless of normal juggle rules or shadow hits remaining or all that. There are lots of other non-infinite examples, like Reika's 236236P super and her 623P special.
    Ghost Kick infinite
    (When opponent get downed, corner)[421+C] x n
    Only works on Reika, Tiger and Drunk Master

This infinite however flat out doesn't work at all. Even if you didn't tech roll before it hit you (there ARE a few untechable setups for it), you can instant tech-roll between the hits of it. As a side note, I've found it much easier to tech roll by inputting 4,6+A+B or 6,4+A+B instead of just 4+A+B or 6+A+B. I don't know if that's a quirk of the game input buffer or what.

There are MORE infinites though.

Drunken Master can infinitely loop some characters on 236B, 236A. This is really hard to do though, and unless you are a machine it's generally better to just throw in a super instead.

Master Huang has an infinite on anyone that can be delaunched. It's another meter building infinite:
    ... ( c.C(1) c.D 6C 214K 236K 236B+C, crossup j.C, c.C(1) c.D 63214A, 66 )*n

To do it, you must have them facing into the corner. That's very easy for Huang to do though because he has a very strong loop with his A command grab:
    c.C(1) c.D 63214A, 66 c.C(1) c.D <pause> 63214A, 66 ...
    The idea is that if you delay doing the command grab long enough, the pushback causes it to not crossup and it hits from behind again. I think you can't loop this in the corner because the pushback isn't strong enough, but I might be wrong about that.

Aside from real infinites, Snake and Monkey Boy have 100% loops that require about 3 stock to do. Snake's is:
    ... 214B+C, f.D, 66 f.D, 66 c.D 3C (6A) 623C(2) 214B+C ...

Monkey Boy's seems somewhat character specific but here is an example:
    ... 6A 623P 214P 214B+C, 66 C 6A 214B, 66 C 6A 214B, 66 C 6D 623P 214P 214B+C..

Emulation wise, FBA is mostly accurate except for the sound (which randomly modulates wildly in FBA), and the music. On the cart, the music normally plays much slower, and speeds up nearing the end of a round. Personally I think it sounds better playing at full speed the whole time. :S

There are some subtle issues with MAME's emulation, aside from the random crashes and such. The way damage and meter gain is calculated is slightly off. Moves that may give +0 meter gain in FBA will give some meter gain in MAME. Don't really know why, might be some sort of rounding error in one of the emulators.

Someone mentioned this earlier but it's worth a note: There are at least 2 different versions of the game. The original version is not dumped at all as far as I know, it's version numbers are v102/v101/v10?. The last number is the region, as far as I know. The newer version (the one emulated) is v104/v102/v10?. There are quite a few differences between these versions, but the biggest is that everything does way less damage in the newer version.

If you own a cart of the game and are stuck with the older version, you should be able to to write a few replacement EPROMs (model M27C322) and replace the u9/u10 roms in your cart. They're socketed so it's really easy to do.

Last thing, I whipped together a small guide for the game. It has moves lists (since the one on Gamefaqs is missing moves and some are listed wrong) and some fairly extensive combos for everyone. It's certainly far from finished, but here it is:
    http://www.dragoninstall.com/junk/Martial%20Masters.txt

PS- Not trying to be negative on this game at all. I love the game and think it's a ton of fun.
  • thedude.comthedude.com Gedo Gang Goes Funky Joined: Posts: 3,018
    i'll check out the vids later on ? available in GGPO ?
    "A spirit of rage, instilled with compassion. A heart of darkness, faithful to virtue."

-Gedo High School Motto
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    available in GGPO ?

Nope
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • c001357c001357 Time Wizard Joined: Posts: 577
    info

good stuff, appreciate it.
  • morres75morres75 2 SMOOV Joined: Posts: 74
    played this game when i was in hawaii for vacation theres one in a arcade in downtown kona never seen it before but decide to try it was fun hahaha didnt know it had a following
    mindgames for life
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    Just started playing this game. Its really fun so far!
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
    Hi keits
    Myself Maria.and i played this game.this is fantastic pretty game.

Thanks.
  • Gwyrgyn BloodGwyrgyn Blood Joined: Posts: 682
    Crane seems like she might actually have a third infinite. It only works deep in the corner, and only against Reika reliably (will work on Huang and Scorpion as well but randomly fails for some reason I don't understand). Getting any reps is extremely hard, probably boils down to 1F links every time. Input is:
    5A 6A(1) 623B, 5A 6A(1) 623B ... etc

Reason it works is because for some reason, her 623B won't cross up and thus you can get a combo off it as though you did it from behind. I'll see if I can get a video of it at some point, but it's so hard it pretty much needs to be tool assisted.

Some more interesting stuff. The game uses a hit attribute system almost identical to BlazBlue. All moves will hit air/head/body/foot/throw, and moves can likewise have invincibility in those same areas. Some odd examples are Monks 6C which has air/head guard point, and Snake's 63214K which has foot invincibility, and is actually not a throw but is an unblockable body strike.

Other odd stuff on that note, is that backrolls aren't head, air or throw invulnerable. And neither Dragon Punches nor Jumps are throw invulnerable on startup. :I

Something else interesting is that 214B+C shadow attacks have the special properties of always being able to connect, and giving you additional juggle hits in a combo. What's more odd is that some of them will reset juggle hits even when they are not hitting. Saojin's is a very good example of this, as it can lead to a 100% combo with only a few stocks. A one rep example is here:

This trick seems to help Saojin, Tiger, and Lotus Master the most, but a few other characters can make use of it as well (Monk and Huang).

And since I've seen no discussion of character balance in the game at all, I made up a makeshift tier list from the experience I've had with the game. I'm sure it's not all that correct at all, so I hope anyone else with some solid game time will chime in on their opinions:

S+ Crane
    S Reika, Snake, Monkey Boy, Huang, SaoJin
    A+ Monk, Tiger
    A Lotus, Scorpion
    B Ghost Kick, Drunken

Here's a brief breakdown of why:

S+ Tier
    Crane
    Pros: Has two practical infinites. Has fast ground and air projectiles and a good DP. Has unblockable setups for big damage. Both supers are very good. 214B+C Shadow attack is amazingly broken.
    Cons: Weak high/low game, not that she needs one. Mostly short normals. Can chew through meter fast. Needs meter to be effective.

S Tier
    Reika
    Pros: Very good projectiles. Super good DP that leads to huge damage and is difficult to punish with anything strong. Frame advantage on many moves. Strong combos off anything. Lots and lots of combos and moves simply won't connect on her.
    Cons: Weak high/low game. No infinites. :S

Snake
    Pros: Good pokes. Strong throw game and unblockable setups. Strong frame advantage on many moves. An okay DP and 63214P is an invincible ground attack. Very very good supers and shadow attacks. Easy 100% loops with ~3 stocks.
    Cons: Nothing?

Monkey Boy
    Pros: Extremely good projectiles. Possible to get random huge damage off Watermelons. Very good supers and shadow attacks. Easy 100% loops with ~3 super stocks. Good throw setups/combos.
    Cons: Mediocre DP with short horizontal range. Will have trouble with people who can beat his projectile game.

Huang
    Pros: Shittons of damage off everything. Very tricky high/low/throw game. Huge loops. Can infinite half the cast from anywhere. Dive kick gives him good air control and crossups. Very good shadow attacks.
    Cons: No true reversal attacks?

Saojin
    Pros: Builds a lot of meter. 214B+C Shadow Attack is great for pressure, escape, anything. Both supers are decent. Easy combos. 214P is a high damage poke. 100% loop for cheap off anything. 2A+B can crossup. DP isn't foot invincible, but it doesn't leave the ground so it can be canceled to 214B+C on block.
    Cons: Nothing off throw. DP only has very short invincibility and is not invincible on the foot.

A+ Tier
    Monk
    Pros: Scary strong high/low mixups. Strong throws. Huge pokes. Very good projectiles. Good shadow attacks. Pound the Ground to punish anything at a distance. Most life of any character.
    Cons: Big target.

Tiger
    Pros: Strong damage. Tackle gives +0 on block. Some big pokes. Difficult infinite but sets up from almost anything. Tricky 214B+C. Decent damage from command throw. 63214K->236P great for trades or passing through projectiles.
    Cons: Big pokes are laggy. Big target. Tons of character specific stuff on him. 236236P super easy to do by accident and is very slow.

A Tier

Lotus Master
    Pros: Unblockable setups! Some very large pokes. Decent projectiles. Jumping throw. Good supers. Good air normals. 214B+C is very good. 421P gives big frame advantage.
    Cons: Big target. No free DP. Works hard for damage. Chews through meter fast. Projectiles have long recovery and many characters have easy ways around them.

Scorpion
    Pros: Very strong high/low mixup. Solid damage off throws. Frame advantage. Good mobility.
    Cons: Mediocre shadow attacks. Mediocre damage output in general.

B Tier
    Drunken Master
    Pros: Strong counter moves. Very strong supers. Roll will beat a lot of things and sets up for damage. Good command throw that can be OSed.
    Cons: Infinite is unreliable. No free DP. Bad 214B+C.

Ghost Kick
    Pros: Lots of solid moves. Very good AA. Big ass 6D poke. j.C is a huge crossup.
    Cons: Weak High/Low game. DPs aren't fully invincible. 214P is worthless.

Long story short is that nobody seems unusably bad (Lotus is still pretty decent) but there's a lot of really broken stuff in the game.

Anyway, because I was bored and interested to see what could be done, I developed a balance patch for the game that removes all of the practical infinites and greatly tones down all of the 100% loops, as well as a few other minor things. It's far from finished but if you are interested in dicking around with it, you can grab it here: http://www.dragoninstall.com/junk/MartialMasters_Patch_vC_Beta5.rar
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    You balance patched this yourself?!

Thats really impressive. Im definitely going to look into that.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • arcadegamerarcadegamer Joined: Posts: 18
    play it my local arcade back then . nice game
    agree with your tier list gwyrgyn blood
    for drunken infinite it's really character specific for the timing it's even possible on reika but really hard.
    pretty solid game