Ask a cop thread.

AHVB_AHVB_ Joined: Posts: 56
edited July 14 in General Discussion
This is a thread for anyone who has a question about law enforcement and the job that we do.

Without going into too many details, I'm currently a cop in a big city, I have a background as a military reservist and in 911 EMS.

I ask that your questions be specific and respectful, I don't "feed" trolls & I hope that we can have meaningful dialogue.

I will not engage in political debates and I will not answer vague questions like "why do cops get away with..." please understand that every case has its own set of facts and local laws that apply to those facts.

So ask away fellow srk'ers.
Post edited by AHVB_ on

Comments

• chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,025
    How do the Denver PD feel about the legalization of marijuana? Do you guys bust a lot of people driving while high? If so, what are the field sobriety tests for a suspect who's been pulled over and suspected of driving under the influence of pot?
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • AHVB_AHVB_ Joined: Posts: 56
    I'm not employed by the Denver Police Dept and I've personally never asked a Denver cop how they felt about the changes in marijuana laws in Colorado. But generally speaking, as officers, our job is to enforce the law and adhere to the changes in the law. Some of us agree with the changes, some of us don't.

Every police department has their own way of doing sobriety tests and I don't know how Denver PD does theirs. Generally, police departments have Field tests that try to determine wether or not your are oriented, alert and coordinated enough to drive safely. If you're high, you will fail.

My advice to anyone is to simply not do drugs, and especially please don't get high then get behind the wheel. Colorado has seen a large increase in drug related traffic fatalities after their changes to their marijuana laws.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,025
    AHVB_ wrote: »
    I'm not employed by the Denver Police Dept and I've personally never asked a Denver cop how they felt about the changes in marijuana laws in Colorado. But generally speaking, as officers, our job is to enforce the law and adhere to the changes in the law. Some of us agree with the changes, some of us don't.

Every police department has their own way of doing sobriety tests and I don't know how Denver PD does theirs. Generally, police departments have Field tests that try to determine wether or not your are oriented, alert and coordinated enough to drive safely. If you're high, you will fail.

My advice to anyone is to simply not do drugs, and especially please don't get high then get behind the wheel. Colorado has seen a large increase in drug related traffic fatalities after their changes to their marijuana laws.

Sorry, I assumed (incorrectly) that you might be in Colorado because of the Broncos avatar.

I don't smoke weed or drink at all. But I am curious if there are specific field sobriety tests for marijuana since it's legal in some states, and it seems a lot easier to pull off being high than being drunk. You can't really do a breathalyzer. I was hoping there'd be some kind of test involving whether or not the suspect likes the Grateful Dead or seeing how they react to putting a bag of Doritos in front of them.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,190
    Where do babies come from?
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,905
    why are small town cops such pieces of shit? haven't had issues with big city cops but ive seen some dirty shit with small town ones. they mostly protect their friends
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs, pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,612 mod
    edited July 14
    Do you just run plates just whenever you feel like it like these two bozos?
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,190
    What makes your trigger finger itchy?
    edited July 14
    @Syke1 I wouldn't call them bozo's, let's refrain from namecalling because it taints the conversation.

Every police department has their own set of rules but based on the video the officers Appeared to have acted appropriately. The officer explained his reason for the stop.

Based on the internal review it seems like he was allowed to run her license plate.

Also would you not want the police to proactively seek out stolen cars?
  • MarcOfTheBeastMarcOfTheBeast Joined: Posts: 244
    edited July 14
    What does an internal investigation look like? Do you guys get notified that the department is under investigation concerning X? Or does this just happens randomly without notice?
  • nikeSBstunna89nikeSBstunna89 WOLVES Joined: Posts: 1,493
    How much do you guys really care about weed in states where it's not legal? For example, you pull me over and my car smells like dank but I'm in no way under the influence. Would you ask to search the car or just let it go?? And if u do find some would you be cool if it's just a little dime bag?
    @Marcofthebeast

Internal investigations vary depending on the what is being investigated. investigations include something as simple as an in house interview and note review while More serious full blown investigations involve wiretapping, taped interviews, subpoenas for phone/internet records, undercover sting operations and so on.

Wether or not the department is notified of an external investigation depends on who is investigating and the nature of their investigation.
    @nikeSBstunna89

If your car smells like weed it will be searched and if weed is found, the appropriate action will be taken.

• NickRocksNickRocks Lil B Was Right Joined: Posts: 22,634
    he joined two years ago but calls himself AHVB, obv a fraud :coffee:

he prob thinks when you ask him if he plays cable that play is a typo

boutta be like "yeah bro i have auto pay, why?"
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • MarcOfTheBeastMarcOfTheBeast Joined: Posts: 244
    edited July 14
    @AHVB_

Okay, I'm just going to put this out there. I live in NYC. I know my everyday experience is limited but every customer experience I have with a police officer operating a toll road has been very poor. And I find it hard to believe that its just a coincidence. Are these officers being punished for bad behavior, poor communication skills, insubordination, or whatever? Could it be that management just doesn't want to deal with these problems and its hard to terminate someone (because of the union), so they just stick them somewhere to minimize their impact on the community?

Thanks for answering.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,771
    are cops are optimistic about their career? This is in lieu of what happens nowadays. It would seem is more practical to enroll the army than joining the police corps
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
    edited July 14
    @AHVB_

Okay, I'm just going to put this out there. I live in NYC. I know my everyday experience is limited but every customer experience I have with a police officer operating a toll road has been very poor. And I find it hard to believe that its just a coincidence. Are these officers being punished for bad behavior, poor communication skills, insubordination, or whatever? Could it be that management just doesn't want to deal with these problems and its hard to terminate someone (because of the union), so they just stick them somewhere to minimize their impact on the community?

Thanks for answering.

You're welcome and I appreciate you taking the time to ask.

Officers get investigated and punished for the behavior that you mentioned provided that the allegations are substantiated.

To answer your second question, Officers who work on the toll roads do not work for the NYPD, so those officers aren't sent there from communities. They work for a seperate law enforcement agency called the TBTA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triborough_Bridge_and_Tunnel_Authority_Police
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme or Dunkin'?

Dunkin since they're all over the place.
    edited July 14
    locoghoul wrote: »
    are cops are optimistic about their career? This is in lieu of what happens nowadays. It would seem is more practical to enroll the army than joining the police corps

In regards to optimism, It depends on where you work. Based on the conversations I've had with out of state guys, some departments have very high morale and others have low morale. It really comes down to the type of leadership in the agency you work for.

The job has definitely gotten tougher. But I would still recommend this job to anyone. It's been a great experience.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,376
    AHVB_ wrote: »
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme or Dunkin'?

Dunkin since they're all over the place.
    Suger or Powder?
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,663
    edited July 15
    Meeting the quota at the end of each month, and "fund raisers" that resulted in me getting 2 citations within 2 months:

My question is, why can't leo's focus more on unsafe driving than segregating those that have nice vehicles and harassing the owners while handing out speed violation citations for fabricated reasons? Its happened to many people that out right didnt cause any violation or was cherry picked out of the herd of econo-family basic vehicles that was going over the speed limit but was matching the flow of traffic.

Is it due to certain officers being lazy and just want to make a quick buck off of a dude that has a nice car/bike? Or is that really the protocol to follow, to single us out?

I have had a clean record for many years and like I said, both citations I received while I was in evening traffic, going with the flow, one in particular, I was behind a family van, not tail gate-ing, and a Leo follows me for 15 miles before deciding to pull me over off to the side of a busy road to fabricate some story on how I was speeding through traffic and being reckless. I felt that if I had continued to tell him tactfully, he was full of shit, I would of gotten tazed or shot.

I am convinced it was due to me sticking out from the rest because of my bike and how it looks like a "race bike"(Leo's words).
    edited July 15
    @BBQ If you feel that a ticket was given to you for a fabricated reason then you can make your case in traffic court. If you violated no laws, you will win.

By saying that people are getting speed citations while going with the flow of traffic you're admitting that said people are going over the speed limit and breaking the law.

The police can only stop one person at a time, and sometimes that person is you or one of friends. Tough luck. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Everyone who gets cited says they're being "singled out" for one made up reason or another.
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX DBGT non canon > maxxvatar OVA Joined: Posts: 17,874
    I had more pertinent questions but really just waiting on any interesting good stories already.

Every answer = "YOU PEOPLE"

What seems to be the boggle of 2 seconds ago it was your fellow citizens of SRK
    NickRocks wrote: »
    he joined two years ago but calls himself AHVB, obv a fraud :coffee:

he prob thinks when you ask him if he plays cable that play is a typo

boutta be like "yeah bro i have auto pay, why?"

ATTEMPTED HOMOCIDE
    VEHICLE BUSTA UNDERSCORE

always huffing vagina blasts

acting hard via barstool

ass hole videogame buyer!

If you went to EVO and had to arrest a smasherfurry justinweaber kayopolicephotobook buying squealer, how would that be accomplished without staining your clothes and gear with their smells forever?
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,376
    If you expected a cop to answer honestly and candidly about cop questions then you silly. Hes gonna tow the line on every question he answers. This is like expecting a real answer from a politician.

And I I ask again. Suger or powder.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.