The Next Big Thing: Abigail General Thread

ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,737
edited July 18 in Abigail
Holy crap he's huge!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2017/07/17/the-super-human-hot-rodder-abigail-makes-his-way-to-street-fighter-v-on-july-25th

V-Skill: Hungabee

Abigail thrusts his sizeable belly forwards (either high or low) countering the opponent’s attack and setting himself up for a combo opportunity.

V-Trigger: Max Power

After popping his two-bar V-Trigger, Abigail can charge up his four different heavy punches for one hit of armour and extended juggles. A full charge will break the opponent’s guard.

Critical Art: Abigail Special

Abigail slams his opponent with a downward open-palm strike that puts them into a daze. He then hoists them into the air, pummels them like a makeshift speedbag before launching a savage hook that shatters the screen.

Post edited by Reticently on

Comments

• JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,194
    His command dash into the back splash reminds me a lot of Riptor from Killer Instinct. Which is cool since Riptor was my girl in Kay Eye
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 1,746
    You wrote: »
    Some things I noticed from his trailer:
    • He appears to have chargeable normals (perhaps V-Skill normals?) that have special properties at full charge like wallbounce or launch. If these strikes aren't chargeable, then they have ridiculous start up. It looked like his trigger allowed you to use fully charged version of these "normals" without charging them.
    • He has 2 command grabs, not 1. My bad. One of them allows you to combo after its EX version.
    • He has a high and a low counter.
    • He has a roll with a hitbox. V-trigger cancelable.
    • He has a moonsault like special move (not V-skill cuz it has an ex version).
    • He has a command run, regular version has armor, so I'm guessing EX has hyper armor.

Can my anti air please not trade
    Rewatching that trailer, it seems his charged normals are only available in V trigger. Or at least they only show him doing them during V-trigger.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 55,372 mod
    I love the grab where he steps on your back and then kicks you away. So much personality.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 818
    The thing I'm most excited for with this character is seeing what weight Capcom gives him. I'm guessing 799 lbs.
    Mend and Defend

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 2000

SF4: main char: Fei Long
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    When did Capcom hire Rob Liefeld to design their characters?
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    Abigail looks stupid. At the very least they could have designed him to look consistent with the rest of the cast, but he looks like a character from Battleborn.

11654608e15a4514cc7d85fb48fccb83.jpeg

Truthfully though, he looks like someone I would probably main.... in a better game.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• Gabri3l_WHOAGabri3l_WHOA Heat Extend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Joined: Posts: 2,063
    Hugo?
    SFV: Zangief
    Xrd: Potemkin
    pensacola fgc
    cfn same as username
  • bashirkashmiribashirkashmiri Joined: Posts: 55
    And all this time I thought Abigail from Final Fight was a black dude? He looks stupidly big, can't wait to see Zangief pile drive him lol
  • CatalystCatalyst For all your supernatural elimination needs. Joined: Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Did anyone see him actually jump? I have a weird feeling about this
    XBL: Catalyst
    PSN: CanyonSplitter
    CFN: Catalyst

SFV: Necalli, Alex, Cammy
    USF4: T.Hawk, Dan, Cammy
    SF3 3S: Q, Sean
    SFA3: T.Hawk, Dan, Cammy

• MominouMominou Joined: Posts: 23
    edited July 17
    I wonder if he's "throwable"... Some throws and command grabs will look really weird on him.
    For example, Chun back throw. She needs to reach his head to make the animation viable. I can't imagine Capcom will let the 3D models mess with each other just like that.
    I just can't imagine Laura's super on him right now lol
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,490 mod
    Final Fight character so I guess I gotta. The choice of Abigail still baffles me, must be due to story reasons. So many good bosses in FF, but they chose a headswap of Hugo.

He looks fun and that alternate he has looks legit, so I'll be trying him. I've wanted a giant character in the game for a while, Hugo in Ultra was stupid amounts of fun.
  • EbbsEbbs StoicStare....... Joined: Posts: 263
    It's not his height that's weird, it's the size of his head compared to the rest of his body. That and his legs look hella small compared to the rest of him. I just don't like his proportions. That said, I'll probably try to play him cause he's from Final Fight
    SFA3- Guy, R.Mika SSFIV:AE - Guy, Fuerte
    MvC2- Clockw0rk MvC3-Storm/Thor/Sent Strider/Thor/Doom
    Tekken- Eddy/Raven/Bruce/Christie
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,031
    edited July 17
    The Hugo inspiration seems clear to me (run, wall bouncing punch) although his other options look very different.
    His "roll with hitbox" is likely a crouching kick, maybe cr. MK.
    The two parries seem likely candidates to be his V-Skill.
    I still wonder how he will be able to fit the screen, especially when jumping, given that he looks to be bigger than Gief. Will they just zoom out the camera like they did in KI with Aganos/Gargos/Eyedol?

P.S. the more I watch the trailer the more I wanna play him. And I don't even like massive hulky characters damn
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • mowrmowr VROOM VROOM! Joined: Posts: 6,570
    edited July 17
    tbvxk1lhe5az.jpg
    Unironically my jam youtube.com/watch?v=RQ68z3v1Ls0

PSN: DHEvil CFN: DHEvil
    SFV: Abigail
    Region: United Kingdom
    Something about him that I found particularly exciting is that you can combo after landing his counter. It appears to be a legit counter too, not like Akumas party.
    edited July 17
    After watching the trailer again those moves don't look like counters or parries. They are more like armored normals, except they parry instead of taking gray life.
    They aren't counters because the full animation seems to trigger whether they parry or not.

edit: guess it's a counter after all
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2017/07/17/the-super-human-hot-rodder-abigail-makes-his-way-to-street-fighter-v-on-july-25th
    V-Skill: Hungabee

Abigail thrusts his sizeable belly forwards (either high or low) countering the opponent’s attack and setting himself up for a combo opportunity.

giphy.gif
    Also the roll looks to be his sweep, two hits (one high one low) and the first one might be (?) cancellable.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    His story alt fixed his fucked up proportions.
    1f604c248939eb44fb2a1f68ffb701ef.jpg?v=202200
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,809
    834a0dc03f78a353ab34b5d8b9a60c05.jpg?v=202200
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
  • SoftShocksSoftShocks Joined: Posts: 79
    Though im excited of a new grappler, i think hes just too big. I dont like that he makes other characters seem smaller than they usually are.
    Yeah you don't see half of his body when he jumps. And we haven't seen it with the UI...
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,236
    I'm wondering how the lifebars will be with him on screen, but more importantly if his v skill is a high/low counter or if it hits high/low... the way it's worded seems ambiguous. But if his v skill can hit overhead which I don't expect it to... damn son.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    Dime wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the lifebars will be with him on screen, but more importantly if his v skill is a high/low counter or if it hits high/low... the way it's worded seems ambiguous. But if his v skill can hit overhead which I don't expect it to... damn son.

V-Skill looks like a high/low counter that puts the opponent in a CC-like state on hit. I'm not sure if it hits high/low too or if it even matters.
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • Deimos002Deimos002 I tech'd that Joined: Posts: 75
    1. Can you jump over him (maybe Kolin double-jump)?
    2. Can he be crossed up?
    3. If so, do you have to cross him up at ass level to combo a light?
    4. Are there characters whose jump arcs allow them to do that?
    5. Can I just poke-walk people to the corner as Abigail if they can't jump over?
    6. So many questions
  • Zro_ColossusZro_Colossus Joined: Posts: 58
    I am waiting. He looks like a slower Alex(in a way). For this, I am excited. I wonder how many Alex players are going to have a pocket Abigail?
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,236
    edited July 17
    Dime wrote: »

V-Skill looks like a high/low counter that puts the opponent in a CC-like state on hit. I'm not sure if it hits high/low too or if it even matters.

It matters because if it hits as an overhead then he has a high low mixup on his charged v skill, assuming the low hits low the high also matters if it's referring to a move that can be ducked by crouching. But that overhead/low sounds waaay to good for sf5 so it's probably just a high/low counter like akumas v skill, or both high and low are punishably negative on block. His v trigger unblockables look pretty fast as well... they look a lot faster than uriens charged moves as an example, so they look good for pressure.

Watching the trailer his cancel into run into command grab seems to come out pretty quick, might be one of the better run into command grabs. Plus his run having armor means that the opponent won't be able to just jab out of run pressure... with armor and the fact that his run is so fast upclose I expect all his run followups to probably be punishably negative.

But we will see. He looks pretty damn dope so far.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    No he definitely doesn't hit overhead. High just means the opposite of low
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
  • Virtua_LeonVirtua_Leon Gal me seeeerious Joined: Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Mominou wrote: »
    I wonder if he's "throwable"... Some throws and command grabs will look really weird on him.
    For example, Chun back throw. She needs to reach his head to make the animation viable. I can't imagine Capcom will let the 3D models mess with each other just like that.
    I just can't imagine Laura's super on him right now lol

See samurai shodown 2, try and throw earthquake in that game, it could possibly be what they do for this game, possibly
    AAAAAAAAS WE ENTER!
    I need to know a lot more about his V-Skill. Based on the blog post description It sounds as though it works like Kolin's where it's basically just an attack but it'll parry anything incoming as it's starting up, but this time you have to read high/low and you don't get the special parry animation that Kolin gets which guarantees her followup landing.

I hope that's not the case, because if you can't choose to just parry by itself, this might be a move that's too easily baitable with a jab or something, forcing you to go into the unsafe followup.

Rumor is this character may have 1200 HP. May be a bit weird because normally SFV has standardized health values. Which is something that I like because there's no more Seth/Akuma super low health pixies that are designed to just be way better than other characters can ever hope to be at the expense of really low health. Takes care of the whole characters that are destined to be shit because they are huge and need it to be balanced by a bunch of health.

With that said, I think Abigail if he works like he looks may need some type of high health threshold. He looks so big that there's a lot of situations in this game where he pretty much won't be able to avoid getting hit or taking damage. Being a big meat shield might be the only way for him to get out of a lot of shitty situations. We'll see if they keep him 1050 like Gief or really go all out with his health to help him deal with his impending neutral issues.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• Deimos002Deimos002 I tech'd that Joined: Posts: 75
    1200 Health for anything but a quadraplegic hamster would be insane.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    I can't believe there are people who are seriously asking if you can jump over him. Of course you can jump over him, it's not like they'd just make him an impenetrable wall of death that inevitably crushes you into the corner.
    mykka wrote: »

This design looks a lot cooler.

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,389
    Really like his Battle outfit more I look at him.
    I take back negativity
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    SFV:Bison,Ed,Abigail.BB:Susanoo
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

• PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,021
    mykka wrote: »

Capcom could've easily used this design and make a whole new character instead of ruining Abigail
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • ProRap500ProRap500 Joined: Posts: 149
    Abigail.jpg?h=f4c066bc09fce52bc2c0258a3df3dc75

they made Abigail white, i thought he was originally black?
  • riburibu A Return to Form Joined: Posts: 2,389
    Will probably get a palette referring to that...maybe
    PSN/CFN- Ribu_the_Luster
    SFV:Bison,Ed,Abigail.BB:Susanoo
    Ed_SFV Discord:
    https://discord.gg/w6naQPC

edited July 17
    I'm also desperate to know if fast, multihitting moves like Rashid's spinning mixer can just completely stuff the startup of the strike portion of his parry or if it's a true counter.

mowr wrote: »
    I'm also desperate to know if fast, multihitting moves like Rashid's spinning mixer can just completely stuff the startup of the strike portion of his parry or if it's a true counter.

Why do people keep calling it a parry? The blog post makes it sound like a straight up counter, and from the trailer, we can see that he attacks automatically upon landing it, so it isn't a parry with manual followup like Akuma.
    edited July 18
    It doesn't have the same special animations as Kolin's V-Skill or special move parries, so I'm concerned that it doesn't work like a true counter.

edited July 18
    Edmund wrote: »
    Abigail's Movelist. And he has 1100 health.

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/character/abg/movelist

1100... feels like he should have gotten more, and only 1050 stun? Same as Alex? Kinda whack.

1100 health 1050 stun is good. Means they're still balancing him around the normalized health and stun values in this game. Means he might not be too terrible and isn't just designed to be a huge meat shield destined to be lower tier. Abigail players will have to learn how to block and not completely defend with their face.

If he had 1100 health and 1100 stun I'd feel a lot better.

Eh you'll live.