Have You Found Your Perfect Character?

KingCrimsonKingCrimson CFN: OldManRageJoined: Posts: 730
edited July 30 in Street Fighter V
I'm just curious if you've found your perfect character in terms of moves, tools, strategy, etc?

I don't know if it's at the cost of balance, but I can't seem to find a character that has all of the tools that I'm looking for. There are a couple that are close, but even with the top contenders, there's a thing or two that I think they're lacking.

I have a feeling that a lot of us are in the same boat, but I'd like to see.

Comments

• Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,342
    edited July 31
    Yes. Bison is the perfect match for me. Whenever I choose another character, I dash into moves thinking my invincibility frames will protect me and get bodied instead. He's just so good.
    Post edited by Super Sonic on
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,222
    edited July 31
    There is no perfect character in sf5 they are all based around having certain weaknesses.

Urien comes the closest for me. His weakness is hard to use AA and no 3 framer. But he has good everything else so... I like him a lot.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • JaguarSleepoverJaguarSleepover Joined: Posts: 28
    Since her nostalgic costume is available Ibuki.
  • CathraoCathrao Police brutality~ Joined: Posts: 596
    I would've maybe kept on playing Ryu, if his CC buttons were more useful (like st.HP/HK not whiffing crouchers).

So no, not yet.
    Steam/CFN ID: Cathrao | SFV: Akuma/Menat | T7: Lili/Feng
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,018
    Mained Laura since day 1, never felt as comfortable with another character before. So much that when I play other characters in this or other fighting games I often find myself thinking "meh why can't I do this or that that Laura can do". Her fireball is fun, her setplay is fun, her frame traps are fun.
    I think part of my enjoyment is due to the fact that she's a better Abel, a character I really wanted to play in SF4 but felt weird and limited to me.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,347
    I want it to be Ed but looking at Abigail he feels more like the kind of character I'd main in 3D fighting games.
  • Chun-Li_ForeverChun-Li_Forever Chun-Li Fan Forever Joined: Posts: 771
    Chun-Li main now and forever
    Chun-Li fan & main now & forever.

CHUN-LI FAN COMICS

CHUN-LI: THE GAUNTLET
    Chun-Li takes on Shadaloo... alone! Will she survive?

Cover Page

Pages
    01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,
    31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60,
    61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90,

EVIL RYU V. CHUN-LI
    Chun-Li fights to break Ryu free from the Satsui no Hado

Pages
    01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09

*Art by Sergio Briseño, Written and Produced by me

Please support @ https://patreon.com/treeink

I am an Actor, Writer, Filmmaker, and Street Fighter Fan

CHUN-LI: THE GAUNTLET - Page 16 (Chun-Li v. Shadaloo Guards: Chun-Li's Comeback)
    *edited July, 16, 2017: Page 16 Completed
  • soncissoncis Joined: Posts: 306
    No! I played dudley in SFIV and liked his high low mixup and slugger style gameplay with no fireballs ... in SFV I like urien the best, would have loved to play alex but hes just to awkward...
    3S: Ken
    USF4: Dudley
    SFV: Alex/Ibuki/Urien(?)
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 1,741
    Rashid
    Can my anti air please not trade
  • RacconRaccon Tears of joy Joined: Posts: 879
    I'm having too much fun with Mika. So yes, I've found my bitch.
    Bring Rose back, Capcom!
  • LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,447
    Not in SFV.
    GGXrdR2: Baiken
    T7:  Jin, Nina
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun Cody Guy

• ZioSerpeZioSerpe Pecking order Joined: Posts: 826
    edited August 2
    Juri, hands down, and it's the most abusive relationship ever 'cause she sucks, but the play style is just on point with what I like.

@Chun-Li_Forever for the 1st time I've actually clicked on your signature and I now realize she is not holding a mango in your avatar
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
  • Chun-Li_ForeverChun-Li_Forever Chun-Li Fan Forever Joined: Posts: 771
    @ZioSerpe lol, nah, as you probably seen, it's just the cover of the current Chun-Li comic my friend and I are working on. And that "mango" is nothing more than Balrog's glove.

My love for Chun-Li reaches far beyond online gameplay (as you can tell), but even still, Chun-Li is and forever will be the character I will use until the day I die. TBH, I have always like fighting games, but SFV was the first game I wanted to really get into and dedicate myself to getting better than i was (i sucked so hard back growing up in the arcade generation). And even though there were better characters to start with (like Ryu), I instantly jumped to chun-li because I not only liked her gameplay, but she had a great personality, a fascinating backstory, and we just clicked together. And though she is a charge character (and her strongest BnB is one of the more challenging), and even though she doesn't hit as hard, and requires a lot of high execution and patience to master, I am enjoying every second I play as her.
    Chun-Li fan & main now & forever.

CHUN-LI FAN COMICS

CHUN-LI: THE GAUNTLET
    Chun-Li takes on Shadaloo... alone! Will she survive?

Cover Page

Pages
    01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,
    31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60,
    61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90,

EVIL RYU V. CHUN-LI
    Chun-Li fights to break Ryu free from the Satsui no Hado

Pages
    01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09

*Art by Sergio Briseño, Written and Produced by me

Please support @ https://patreon.com/treeink

I am an Actor, Writer, Filmmaker, and Street Fighter Fan

CHUN-LI: THE GAUNTLET - Page 16 (Chun-Li v. Shadaloo Guards: Chun-Li's Comeback)
    *edited July, 16, 2017: Page 16 Completed
  • Za FuuruZa Fuuru Joined: Posts: 199
    Dime wrote: »
    There is no perfect character in sf5 they are all based around having certain weaknesses.

Urien comes the closest for me. His weakness is hard to use AA and no 3 framer. But he has good everything else so... I like him a lot.

Elbow is hard to use?
  • Time pantsTime pants Maybe Evil Ryu is just misunderstood? Joined: Posts: 447
    I did. Ryu in season 1 was the most fun character I ever played in any fighting game. Unfortunately, that was brutally murdered before our very eyes. Some things are just too beautiful for this evil world.

I haven't found anyone else who even comes close in terms of pure enjoyment.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,018
    edited August 3
    @Chun-Li_Forever it's okay to love Chun but maybe you should have a smaller sig like literally the rest of the users of this forum.
    (Sorry if I have to repeat myself, he didn't seem to get it the first time)
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie [Xrd] Leo
    [BBCF] Bullet [T7] Claudio
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,222
    Za Fuuru wrote: »
    Dime wrote: »

Elbow is hard to use?

Play urien and find out :)
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,652
    I can't think of a fighting game I actively played where I haven't found the perfect character for me.
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • GetTheTablesGetTheTables Joined: Posts: 70
    I'm just curious if you've found your perfect character in terms of moves, tools, strategy, etc?

I don't know if it's at the cost of balance, but I can't seem to find a character that has all of the tools that I'm looking for. There are a couple that are close, but even with the top contenders, there's a thing or two that I think they're lacking.

I have a feeling that a lot of us are in the same boat, but I'd like to see.

I usually like characters that can control space well with normals. So SFV has been a bit of a journey. :wink:

I think Guile is a great fit for me. He has great space control in this game. However I am naturally a reserved/turtle-y player so I wanted someone more aggressive in SFV. I don't know that Laura is "perfect" for me, but I do really like the way her pressure works so I've been enjoying her a lot.

CFN: GetTheTables
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,801
    i love SFV cast even now that'vs still far from be completed, and i have fun with many characters

Still not perfect main though

Maybe Ryu if they was'nt so fucking obsessed at keep him boring as possible

My mains back to SF4 were Ryu/Bison/Cody

in S3 Cody we trust (also in S3 season patch Ryu)
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts
  • alexbibalexbib Joined: Posts: 48
    I had in the beta version: Necalli. But then they nerfed his damage pretty badly (I'm not saying he's underpowered now, but I would prefer a version that has very high damage, even if something else would need nerfing), and the story showed him to be boring, stupid, and a pushover...
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 3,958
    I think I did.

Laura

- grappler with a fireball is a really cool idea imo
    - high damage mix ups are fun
    - gameplay reminds me a bit of Nina from SFxT, who was my main in that game
    - I started to like big grappler women since She Hulk in MvC3
    - she is hot (sounds dumb but yeah, I only main characters who I think are hot or at least pretty)

Close second is Mika.
    She is also fun, just a bit harder to use imo.

Laura and Mika are the reason why I want more female grapplers in Fighting Games now.

Doesn't mean I only like grapplers of course. I mained Poison in USF4 after having a long character crisis. Was always interested in Viper, but she was too hard for me to use. That's what I like the most about SFV compared to IV, I don't need to worry about execution as much. I feel like I have more characters I can pick up in this game.
    If Viper will end up being in the game, I would be extremely happy.
    Steam: Necl0rd
    PSN: Necreal

SFV: Laura, R. Mika, Chun-Li
    GG Rev2: Baiken, Jack-O
    T7: Katarina, Master Raven
    BB CF: Nine
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson CFN: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 730
    edited August 4
    I think maybe it comes down to what we like in a character.

My ideal character would have long reaching and fast normals that translate into good hit confirms and CC's, a full-screen projectile, a DP (or other reliable AA), fast walkspeed, and an overhead... I don't need any command grabs, or setups/traps (like Urien, Ibuki, or Rashid's V-Triggers).

Akuma right now seems to check most of those boxes, but I could lose the demon flip in exchange for better buttons.

Ken seems like he could be a good fit, but I don't like his V-Skill or Trigger all that much.

I'm simply bored with Ryu.

Guile would be pretty good, but I don't like charge characters. I feel so limited with them.

Cammy was my main, before Akuma, but I missed projectiles and an overhead.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You know who.
  • CathraoCathrao Police brutality~ Joined: Posts: 596
    I think maybe it comes down to what we like in a character.

My ideal character would have long reaching and fast normals that translate into good hit confirms and CC's, a full-screen projectile, a DP (or other reliable AA), fast walkspeed, and an overhead... I don't need any command grabs, or setups/traps (like Urien, Ibuki, or Rashid's V-Triggers).

Akuma right now seems to check most of those boxes, but I could lose the demon flip in exchange for better buttons.

Ken seems like he could be a good fit, but I don't like his V-Skill or Trigger all that much.

I'm simply bored with Ryu.

Guile would be pretty good, but I don't like charge characters. I feel so limited with them.

Cammy was my main, before Akuma, but I missed projectiles and an overhead.
    All that comes at a price to make sure the character isn't unbalanced, though.

While almost ideal for you, Guile is charge-based to provide a weakness to his godlike buttons and fireballs. Cammy has no fireball so that she isn't the ultimate package that'd beat everything either.

I feel like your search for a perfect character is a search for top tier. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Afterall, it saves you a lot of frustration that stems from many characters' flaws in the game. But in that case...

You're in a situation similar to mine, where logic dictates to switch to Cammy. Afterall, she has everything she needs to be good in this game. Just lacks the fireballs, but those suck in SFV anyway. Everyone has a way around those, they're not the powerful tool they were in SF4. But like you, I still find them mad fun and unique in a fighting game, and don't wanna lose 'em.

Maybe Guile really is the answer. Charge isn't so bad in this game for Guile, anyway. So much of him is based around keeping the charge while fighting. And really, only Guile/Akuma can zone somewhat effectively.

...man, I need to play some Guile! :rofl:
    Steam/CFN ID: Cathrao | SFV: Akuma/Menat | T7: Lili/Feng
  • KingCrimsonKingCrimson CFN: OldManRage Joined: Posts: 730
    Thanks @Cathrao, I may actually give Guile a honest shot.

I have a terrible habit of being impatient, and not blocking. Guile may actually enable me to change those gears a bit: I'll have to hold block to charge, amd charging may get me to slow down a bit.
  • FrozteyFroztey The Ascended One Joined: Posts: 8,475 mod
    Juri and Alex are the only characters I've taken a liking to.
  • amrraedamrraed put WW in SF5 Joined: Posts: 4,317
    edited August 6
    Not a perfect match as of yet. The game still doesn't have a Cody like character so who knows.

I like a lot of things about Chun, Mika, Kolin, Ed and Ken but none of them have I gravitated towards as I did for Cody.

Some will say Necalli us close but the seismo and DP and command grab is so alien from what I used to do with Cody so I don't see Necalli being that similar.

I just want someone with good frame traps, good damage, any projectile options would be appreciated, I want good anti airs. Good normals.

He doesn't have to have the best walkspeed or a great reversal or anything like that.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven.

PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • ParryThisParryThis Joined: Posts: 439
    Urien
    - Aegis Creativity Options
    - Top Tier Comeback Factor
    - Left/Right Corner Mixups
    - Narcissitic
    My Mains:
    3rdStrike: Hugo
    SF5: Urien
  • GrieversGunbladeGrieversGunblade Joined: Posts: 267
    I already found mine long before SFV was around.

latest?cb=20080506063641

Ultra Street Fighter IV: Vega, Blanka, Decapre
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Dante, Zero, Wolverine
  • Super SonicSuper Sonic Joined: Posts: 1,342
    amrraed wrote: »
    Not a perfect match as of yet. The game still doesn't have a Cody like character so who knows.

I like a lot of things about Chun, Mika, Kolin, Ed and Ken but none of them have I gravitated towards as I did for Cody.

Some will say Necalli us close but the seismo and DP and command grab is so alien from what I used to do with Cody so I don't see Necalli being that similar.

I just want someone with good frame traps, good damage, any projectile options would be appreciated, I want good anti airs. Good normals.

He doesn't have to have the best walkspeed or a great reversal or anything like that.

You seem to be describing Bison.
    Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!
  • Deadpool_MercDeadpool_Merc 天 WE BACK BABY Joined: Posts: 1,282
    edited August 9
    Honestly Urien is more my ideal character than Gouki or Bipson in sfv.

Long buttons, fb, 1000 health so i can afford to be a stubborn jackass more with him than i can with 900 hp, fast walk speed, good dash, and aegis (also thong).

Only reason Gouki isnt ideal is because of how short his buttons are.

Bipson doesn't even fit my playstyle in this game. Before i started using sagat months before sfv came out i could not use a character with slow walk speed. He was so bad in s1 idk how i stuck with him (slow as shit, no stun, no damage, no way to open someone up). But bipson is my nigga so id never stop using him. Even now when i go back to bison it'll take me a round or two to readjust and stop just dashing forward like a retard.
    Also it was hard as fuck to stop people from jumping on me as bison in s1. I like the ground game so if i cant stop you from jumping to play a proper ground game, im probably extremely frustrated.
    SFV - Gouki/Bison/Urien, Ed, Cammy, Ken. Gonna learn Laura and Chun someday....someday

SAGAT WHERE YOU AT BRUH?
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,703
    Cammy
    Basicly got everything I like, fast walkspeed, good buttons, lots of anti-airs, poke and frametrap heavy gameplay.
    And she's hot, thats a +.
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy
    Tekken: When's Jun? , Lili, Josie
    Guilty Gear: Ramlethal

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • YodellerYodeller Joined: Posts: 4
    For me it would be F.A.N.G with Vega being a close second. With F.A.N.G I have to play more cautiously and read my opponent more so I don't get insta-killed. Plus I love the poison mechanic but wish it was more threatening.
  • VhoziteVhozite Egyptian Goddess Main Joined: Posts: 2,754
    Not really. Guile is the closest fit because he can control space reasonably well, has decent defense, reasonable oki, and decent AA's, and decent mobility.

But I really don't like charge characters. Like at all. Also his throw is garbage.
  • YouYou Great gowns, beautiful gowns. Joined: Posts: 1,741
    Sounds like we all just want characters that can do everything :D
    Can my anti air please not trade
  • amrraedamrraed put WW in SF5 Joined: Posts: 4,317
    amrraed wrote: »

You seem to be describing Bison.

The issue is having good anti-airs. I hate his AA options.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven.

PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • HatsoonMikeHatsoonMike MADKUNT Joined: Posts: 33
    My ideal SF character is Ingrid so no not really. Ibuki works fine for now though, she was my main in SF4 for a long time and I think she plays better now in V.
    Hopefully Menat has the kind of style I want.
    Straya.
    SFV: Ibuki
    Steam ID: HatsoonMike
  • GraphicGraphic Waifu Fighter V Joined: Posts: 648
    I haven't found my perfect character to main yet. I started with Cammy because I played her the most back in SF4 and I love her speedy, rush down style. I find myself bouncing between a bunch of characters, mostly checking out the new characters that are added to the game then going back to others. Lately I have been relying on Laura for her close range control.
  • coconutz50coconutz50 Joined: Posts: 109
    OP, yes. That was determined in SF2. However, a previously low tier character like Zangief in the hands of someone more experienced or talented can make you rethink your choice.