MvCI Meta and Tier Discussion

Comments

• DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,092
    flicky wrote: »
    What is the hit stun reset?

We don't yet fully know what it is about but basically if you ramp up hitstun, then combo into something that ignores hitstun decay, then hit the opponent a few frames after that move has ended, the hitstun scaling gets reset... a bit. Something like 50% or so.

The combo used was thanos super into tag and hit the opponent just as the super ends which resets hitstun scaling a bit. Can't find the link but the combo did 10K when all was said and done and there was another vid of a guy doing soul storm with a full health character and got happy birthdayed, and he lost in that one combo..
    Tod both characters.

Look in the lounge it's in there somewhere in the last 3 pages or so.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    hrmm maybe this thing is move specific? Im doing 7k combo with ryu, switch to strider, and trying to hit at last moment of ryus super fireball, and trying different bounce moves, different slide move whatever, and doesnt seem to be working. Maybe im timing it wrong, or maybe again this is a move specific sorta thing?
    hrmm maybe this thing is move specific? Im doing 7k combo with ryu, switch to strider, and trying to hit at last moment of ryus super fireball, and trying different bounce moves, different slide move whatever, and doesnt seem to be working. Maybe im timing it wrong, or maybe again this is a move specific sorta thing?

Yeah it may well be. It may be that it's a glitch only on certain moves, it may be that it's only a glitch after certain specific moves if certain specific moves are used afterwards.

I just watched a Spider-Man combo video where his opponent dropped out of the super on the last hit... so not every super resets HSD so that the full super can hit... I already knew that, but it's just one more thing to consider.

If people want to use this glitch they probably need to test every multi hitting move on their team and see if it causes a noticeable shift in HSD, and test with every conceivable ender they can hit with after the multihit move.

There may also be other metrics we are not aware of such as the opponent character needing to be under 50% health for this to work, or them having to be hit by at least one jab, or it being side specific. I've already found one thing in the game that is sode specific (can't remember what it was) but side specificness is still in the game, which makes sense since capcom games are notorious for this especially in marvel games.

I personally am not hard working enough to be doing any of this testing. I'm more concerned with neutral concepts than combo concepts.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ya i honestly havnt fiddled with this game much glitch wise like past games. So im not well vsed on everything in it besides the videos I made. Maybe ill pick ryu and dante see if that changes anything
  • AlMoStLeGeNdArYAlMoStLeGeNdArY Optimize or Die Joined: Posts: 2,367
    edited October 9
    Also an example of the hitsun glitch.

I found this funny, and LOL at this game and it's terribly shitty properties such as Arthur having no durability on his projectiles as a hard zoner and thanos having more as a grappler and Thor supposedly I guess having a million armor because reasons like... fuck your footsies, in a nutshell.

Gettin' my derp on.
    Dime wrote: »
    I found this funny, and LOL at this game and it's terribly shitty properties such as Arthur having no durability on his projectiles as a hard zoner and thanos having more as a grappler and Thor supposedly I guess having a million armor because reasons like... fuck your footsies, in a nutshell.

You should take a break. You've been hella salty bro.
    LOL... I haven't even played today. That's still residual salt from knowing I can't play my favorite character because capcom decided to arbitrarily make a zoner that can't zone.

It's like if you have a command grabber who's command grab does shit damage, is breakable for some reason, has no range, and is 10 frames of startup.

That's basically what they did to Arthur's regular armor projectiles. You would never notice this without actually playing though. I understand why his projectiles have no durability, if they did he would set shit up way to easily and would basically be a free in and lockdown.

My problem is why they didn't give him better mobility to make up for these things. I guess they think that since they gave him a shitty dash that makes up for it or something...

Idk, but obviously I'm not playing him anymore. It's still mad salt inducing to see a forward moving move basically get impervious armor, makes me think the designers have no clue as to what they are doing.

Then watch sonicfox put people into permablock with Jedah/coon and the game feels very unfinished. There are move properties that are super wtf ATM.

But I've moved onto to ultron/morrigan. Easier times are ahead.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    I've never once felt like this game was unfinished it feels lretty good to me. I've dropped my characters from mvc3. Not too big of a deal. I'm not sure if Morrigan is going to be the answer you're looking for.
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 4,905
    edited October 9
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing, my first thing was the guy that made this video got mad time on his hands followed by, my dudes salt is of legendary proportions.
  • VyomeshVyomesh Joined: Posts: 590

Thor had one fuck to give. And it's gone.
  • flickyflicky Super Nintendo Chalmers Joined: Posts: 878

What time stamps is the glitch occurring?
    I've never once felt like this game was unfinished it feels lretty good to me. I've dropped my characters from mvc3. Not too big of a deal. I'm not sure if Morrigan is going to be the answer you're looking for.

I adapt. Begrudgingly and with plenty of salt but I do it if it needs to be done.

Morrigan isn't on my team for zoning. Zoning is out. She's on the team as a mixup/rushdown character. I think her mixup is pretty good, not much else, just her mixup. Ultron is just there to set her up and have a solid character for neutral.

Looking at most of the good teams so far you basically have a neutral character and a setup character. That's how sonic foxes team is built. RR sets up for Jedah to get in and go for mixups. If Jedah can't get the mixup off then he switches back to rocket to play neutral and setup for Jedah again.

That morrigan player that I got the morrigan strat from basically never plays morrigan at neutral. It's all Dante neutral into morrigan mixup. The only time he plays morrigan at neutral is if he has to like when Dante is dead or when he's low on life. Other than that it's morrigan into mixups or play lame till she gets room to tag in Dante and set her up again.

My ultron as an example has an unpushblockable string of st.hp xx L beam xx tag into morrigan into mixups. Tats the basis of my entire offense. It of course won't be enough, but I've only scratched the surface with the team. I'm also going to be throwing in Justin's ultron strat of beam lockdown into morrigan as well... bla bla bla

Ailready know morrigans zoning with fireballs won't be good. The fact that they can be reflected back at her is a BIG no no... so my zoning with her will be spears and playing lame till I can get ultron in safely.

If this team doesn't work then it will be the next highest chess that I know of which will be a strike teleport team such as strider/someone who is good upclose... who doesn't need high/low... more than likely strider/haggar.

Vajra/teleport xx tag and clothesline xx tag and just run that degenerate shit.

I always tend to try the most skilled shit first and then dumb it down as needed.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    flicky wrote: »

What time stamps is the glitch occurring?

After the 1st beam super until the end of the video I believe.

I adapt. Begrudgingly and with plenty of salt but I do it if it needs to be done.

Morrigan isn't on my team for zoning. Zoning is out. She's on the team as a mixup/rushdown character. I think her mixup is pretty good, not much else, just her mixup. Ultron is just there to set her up and have a solid character for neutral.

Looking at most of the good teams so far you basically have a neutral character and a setup character. That's how sonic foxes team is built. RR sets up for Jedah to get in and go for mixups. If Jedah can't get the mixup off then he switches back to rocket to play neutral and setup for Jedah again.

That morrigan player that I got the morrigan strat from basically never plays morrigan at neutral. It's all Dante neutral into morrigan mixup. The only time he plays morrigan at neutral is if he has to like when Dante is dead or when he's low on life. Other than that it's morrigan into mixups or play lame till she gets room to tag in Dante and set her up again.

My ultron as an example has an unpushblockable string of st.hp xx L beam xx tag into morrigan into mixups. Tats the basis of my entire offense. It of course won't be enough, but I've only scratched the surface with the team. I'm also going to be throwing in Justin's ultron strat of beam lockdown into morrigan as well... bla bla bla

Ailready know morrigans zoning with fireballs won't be good. The fact that they can be reflected back at her is a BIG no no... so my zoning with her will be spears and playing lame till I can get ultron in safely.

If this team doesn't work then it will be the next highest chess that I know of which will be a strike teleport team such as strider/someone who is good upclose... who doesn't need high/low... more than likely strider/haggar.

Vajra/teleport xx tag and clothesline xx tag and just run that degenerate shit.

I always tend to try the most skilled shit first and then dumb it down as needed.

Ah I see that makes sense. I think high low mix ups are better than left right mix ups. Why not go strider/ultron if your team doesn't work initially? Also if you do decide to go stride his j.lk is an instant overhead from a short hop. It's pretty difficult from what I've seen but still an option.
    One thing I like about Fire Coon is their ability to support and play neutral. The only bad thing about the team in my opinion is Firebrands okay mixup potential, but with his IOH j.l into tag I'm finding it to be not so bad anymore. I was steady rising in ranked this weekend just abusing the shit out of lockdown, j.l IOH into tag if blocked continue lockdown with RR and whore with IOH's. j.l into swoop + tag is hella dirty.

Pretty sure the multi hit glitch works with my team. I'm working on optimizing a combo with it. My question is, will they patch it to oblivion? Not sure I want to work on something that's just combo video fodder.

That being said, MVCI being a reset based game? LOL! Granted, these glitch combos are long as shit so drops mean resets still but yeah....

The bad game is bad, but I love it.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,134 mod
    Looking at most of the good teams so far you basically have a neutral character and a setup character.

This is basically what @DevilJin 01 has been saying about how team composition will be like since way before the game was released.
    edited October 9
    d3v wrote: »
    Looking at most of the good teams so far you basically have a neutral character and a setup character.

This is basically what @DevilJin 01 has been saying about how team composition will be like since way before the game was released.

Yeah, i know. It's how I've been designing all my teams. Just trying to find the right flavor of cheese at this point.

I still think Dante/ultron has the possibility of being the strongest early team in the game. Both have neutral and both can setup well with blocked supers and an assortment of other BS.

I just hate the trench coat mafia with a passion. So glad wesker and Vergil aren't in this shit. One trench coat is enough.
    Gettin' my derp on.

Yeah, i know. It's how I've been designing all my teams. Just trying to find the right flavor of cheese at this point.

I still think Dante/ultron has the possibility of being the strongest early team in the game. Both have neutral and both can setup well with blocked supers and an assortment of other BS.

I just hate the trench coat mafia with a passion. So glad wesker and Vergil aren't in this shit. One trench coat is enough.

My friend plays Dante/Ultron. It's no joke. Dante can just do an endless blockstring into tag where Ultron can go ham. And even if you block properly Dante can just go into Million Dollar and have Ultron come in and go mixup city on your ass. It's a hellish team to fight.

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,962 mod
    It's not like Arthur was going to be high tier regardless of which way you would want him to be played. It's Arthur. I know Bum still thinks he's high/top tier, but optimally it will likely be more for lockdown/assist strategies than any hard zoning.

Still playing Team Darkstalkers ATM and will finally have some time to actually play. I start Morrigan first because she has solid defensive options if people get too close to her at the start, but still has great movement and rushdown for getting in and locking down. Plus with time surge I can do some teleport tag pressure shenanigans. Once you get meter for her that unlocks her stronger ranged game. Also working on super jump ADD shell kick patterns as it travels really fast and seems like a good lockdown for Jedah to tag in.

Another reason I like Morrigan is she has a fast, really far traveling invincible level 1 so the knockdown beam super lockdown setups shouldn't work on her. Just roll forward shadow servant out. Definitely think a lot of the best teams in the future will have at least one character with an attack/projectile invincible level 1. Especially with the tag system to make it safe for no real cost other than character switch.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• wakalakawakalaka Joined: Posts: 170
    edited October 9
    Vyomesh wrote: »

My friend plays Dante/Ultron. It's no joke. Dante can just do an endless blockstring into tag where Ultron can go ham. And even if you block properly Dante can just go into Million Dollar and have Ultron come in and go mixup city on your ass. It's a hellish team to fight.

I play Dante/Ultron, can confirm they feel OP.

Can deal ~7.2k dmg with 1 meter and follow up with a meaty overhead no matter where they roll.
    edited October 9
    Vyomesh wrote: »

Lol, yeah. This game pretty much says it all:

If it ain't the best team, it's the best early/noob friendly team. The only time Justin's skill really came into play was when he was landing the first hit. The rest is easy autopilot stuff anyone can learn in a few days.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    edited October 9
    That knockdown super "setup" stuff is what I was talking about though. It's not a real setup vs anyone with an invincible level 1 hyper and a good amount of the cast has at least one of those. It's an early, non optimal set play that quite a few of the cast can get out of especially with 2 characters. If Marn rolls forward and activates level 1 super with Zero it beats that set up pretty easily.

The team is really good though, but it will require more optimal setups in the future since realistically it can only do that to teams with no invincible level 1s.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

edited October 9
    That knockdown super "setup" stuff is what I was talking about though. It's not a real setup vs anyone with an invincible level 1 hyper and a good amount of the cast has at least one of those. It's an early, non optimal set play that quite a few of the cast can get out of especially with 2 characters. If Marn rolls forward and activates level 1 super with Zero it beats that set up pretty easily.

The team is really good though, but it will require more optimal setups in the future since realistically it can only do that to teams with no invincible level 1s.

From what I've heard, and played actually, outside stones, it's impossible to reversal in these situations unless you easy hyper combo. If that's true and morrigans easy hyper is her shadow slave then that's all good... but if not... idk.

But I've tried reversal level 3 through shit and it just doesn't seem to work, I'm talking about ironmans easily mashable level 3...

Invincible hyper seem few and far between. I could be wrong of course, but the only one I know of for sure is shadow slave. Kikosho might be as well... idk.

What other level 1 supers are strike and projectile invincible on frame 1?

-edit

The lockdown super is also available on any random block, it doesn't have to be used as oki, as another example.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    edited October 9
    This is pure comedy and yeah, Dante will stay OD. In other news Firebrand has no invincible supers at all, Rocket has his level 3. Sucks to be me.
    This is pure comedy and yeah, Dante will stay OD. In other news Firebrand has no invincible supers at all, Rocket has his level 3. Sucks to be me.

That team alone has the ability to define the meta. Have to have invincible supers to beat it, or crazy good blocking skills, or or the ability to out neutral the fuck out of it so it never gets its BS started.

And that's day one Wong with that team. It isn't close to optimized.
    Marn had 2 real chances. The first was at neutral before he got opened the first time, the second was when he countertagged in and caused Dante to drop the combo. Marns zero I think it was tried to do a chain and Justin pushblocked it and wiff punished marn with dantes st.hp>into stuff.

That pushblock has happened to me as well and is one reason why I think that in the future, anti pushblock strings will become very key to have. And wouldn't you know it, both Dante and ultron have strings like this:

Cr.lk,st.hp works for both of them where if the cr.lk is pushblocked, the st.hp will still make contact.

With ultron at least since I've tested it, it only works on a deep cr.lk... but ultron can just do st.hp xx L beam instead if he doesn't have the space and tag from there for guaranteed frame advantage.

I guess if what DJ says is right then marn had more chances if he had rolled forward into invincible move. But Justin's timing on the mixups was after marn was already blocking, so Justin wouldn't have gotten hit either way, but still, if the invincible super was tag canceled... and why wouldn't it be, then he gets out.

Which means the strat is still legit against characters without invincible level 1's and also against characters with invincible level 1's but no homie to tag into because they are already dead.

The invincible thing is enough to make the strat weaker but it isn't some way to keep from getting styled on at all unfortunately, the team is still good and any block will basically put you into the mixup. It's basically a team you can't afford to block against when it has a tag up, ESPECIALLY if it's ultron into Dante since Dante has an instant unseeable overhead... as if he really needed that shit.

Personally the only way I can see the team getting weaker is if better neutral shit is found for different teams or if a meta changing glitch that the team can't take part in is discovered. Right now though Dante has both the meta changing glitches at his disposal though... LOL.

If ultron has it on his beam super... well... more lol.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    edited October 9

From what I've heard, and played actually, outside stones, it's impossible to reversal in these situations unless you easy hyper combo. If that's true and morrigans easy hyper is her shadow slave then that's all good... but if not... idk.

But I've tried reversal level 3 through shit and it just doesn't seem to work, I'm talking about ironmans easily mashable level 3...

Invincible hyper seem few and far between. I could be wrong of course, but the only one I know of for sure is shadow slave. Kikosho might be as well... idk.

What other level 1 supers are strike and projectile invincible on frame 1?

-edit

The lockdown super is also available on any random block, it doesn't have to be used as oki, as another example.

The easy input hypers usually aren't the invincible ones, but a lot of the invincible level 1s are down down supers that you can just mash out on wake up. Not hard to do. Frame 1 invinicible supers include stuff like Zero's new Raijinshou level 1 (down down 2P), Shadow Servant (down down 2P). These are the best as they will activate even if they try to cross you up or teleport around you. The tag can mess with your inputs but as long as you mash it right as you get up it's usually good. I'll probably make a list of the invincible level 1s later on.

Chun's Lightning Legs super (qcf 2K) is also frame 1 invincible. I think ideally you'll have to set up the Ultron/Dante beam lockdown mid screen and hope you can adjust for which way the opponent is rolling. In the corner they can just neutral wake up super or roll forward wake up super.

Optimally you'll want to use standard blockstrings into super on those with the invincible level 1's, yeah. Meta will likely revolve around either finding 2 characters that have crazy lockdowns or having one that can and at least one character that has an invincible level 1 to throw off pressure and escape some of the meaty setups that people usually go for now.

From the looks of it I'll have to have a backup team for these matchups. I'm loving the Coon after bitching about him for so long but I still like firebrand as I'm getting real comfortable with controlling his flight options which seem more more useable this time around since I'm not worrying about random assed assists filling the screen. Block string fly, special + RR tag into BS is pretty sexy. Going to be copying the Jedah+RR from Fox this week just for another option.

Messed a bit with Dr. Strange. What do you guys think? Honestly I'm starting to think that there's SO much concentration on the new characters that some of the new properties of the old written off characters
    are being overlooked. My 10 minute strange felt pretty braindead;especially for support. Bolts and Rocket? Ridiculous. Super isn't much for lockdown though but if they're not jumping creates a fair of amount of blindness as to what the tagged character is doing.
    Strange tends to attract zoner based players which only so many people play that style in a game like Marvel and his projectile/teleport gameplay is pretty abstract compared to the other characters in the game. The best players that used Strange basically whored him as a support and didn't really have Stranges themselves. Snaketits was probably the only guy that really built a team around Strange and even then it was still MVC3 Strange.

I think Strange is a bit more self sufficient in this game especially with the new proximity bomb agomotto to buff his defense. The tag system basically makes him a walking tank of assists for another character so I'm pretty certain he'll end up being one of those top support characters like Ultron and Coon as time goes on.

From the looks of it I'll have to have a backup team for these matchups. I'm loving the Coon after bitching about him for so long but I still like firebrand as I'm getting real comfortable with controlling his flight options which seem more more useable this time around since I'm not worrying about random assed assists filling the screen. Block string fly, special + RR tag into BS is pretty sexy. Going to be copying the Jedah+RR from Fox this week just for another option.

Messed a bit with Dr. Strange. What do you guys think? Honestly I'm starting to think that there's SO much concentration on the new characters that some of the new properties of the old written off characters
    are being overlooked. My 10 minute strange felt pretty braindead;especially for support. Bolts and Rocket? Ridiculous. Super isn't much for lockdown though but if they're not jumping creates a fair of amount of blindness as to what the tagged character is doing.

How are you getting distance (at neutral) from people with strange to set your stuff up? That's the primary weakness I see with him, just gets rushed down hard by the characters with fast movement.
    Gettin' my derp on.

How are you getting distance (at neutral) from people with strange to set your stuff up? That's the primary weakness I see with him, just gets rushed down hard by the characters with fast movement.

It was a 10 minute strange but I'll give him some serious time this week. I'm no stranger to clunky game characters though if my avatar is any inclination ha!
    I just mystic sworded and impact palm tagged people to shit. As I only played him for a sec I didn't get to experience solo strange yet. People just folded under
    Coon with Strange assist.
  • Branh0913Branh0913 Keep away king Joined: Posts: 3,645
    Hello, I had been playing with Hawkeye/Carol. I love playing with Hawkeye, and I'm generally a lame player. However I've been considering dropping Haweye for someone else. I will maybe use Hawkeye for a secondary team, but not for my primary one.

Which characters can I use with Ms. Marvel now? I've been considering going with either Ultron or Nova. My main issue with Captain Marvel is that she really has a hard time pinning you down and getting solid hits. I feel like I need a character who get's solid hits easily, and has enough of a lockdown for Carol to assert her high low game. Any suggestions? I've thought about Jedah, but he doesn't seem good on point, and I really don't like using him.
    M.O.D.O.K Avengers - Minister Of Defense
    The Turtle Master, but my name ain't Splinter
    Hitting down/back so fast, you think I was using macros
    When in doubt, play Ultron.
    Branh0913 wrote: »
    Hello, I had been playing with Hawkeye/Carol. I love playing with Hawkeye, and I'm generally a lame player. However I've been considering dropping Haweye for someone else. I will maybe use Hawkeye for a secondary team, but not for my primary one.

Which characters can I use with Ms. Marvel now? I've been considering going with either Ultron or Nova. My main issue with Captain Marvel is that she really has a hard time pinning you down and getting solid hits. I feel like I need a character who get's solid hits easily, and has enough of a lockdown for Carol to assert her high low game. Any suggestions? I've thought about Jedah, but he doesn't seem good on point, and I really don't like using him.

Ultron Dante Gamora could be what youre looking for. Spider man may also be decent.
  • Cheech WizardCheech Wizard Joined: Posts: 3,601
    edited October 9
    I really thought they were trying to get away from the 'didnt get to play' syndrome of marvel 3 to help the game be more viewer/casual friendly and approachable to new players, but the setplay here is looking just as dirty as mvc3 already and may get even worse. I think the game desperately needs one meter invincible dp crossover counters so at least you get one or two chances to escape the endless blockstun and 50/50s. Either that or buff pushblock pushback alot more.
    Slow and steady wins the race
    edited October 9
    This game is full of win more. I think the community being more connected that ever, everyone being video capable and financial incentive to unleash the tech at this point is going to crack this puppy open a lot quicker.
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,619 mod
    Dante... yuck, what a gross character.

He was boring to watchin in mvc3 and boring to watch once again.

I don't understand why you can't input supers or inputs during screen freeze anymore....
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
    quicks wrote: »
    I tried to play Hawkeye but somebody reflected a ice arrow at me and killed me with the combo

I'm still salty

He's dead to me

Yeah I usually gravitate towards zoning or grappling in fighting games. But zoning is just shit in this game. The reflect aint even hard. It's not like powershielding in Smash. It's pretty damn easy to do. Even I can do it, and I am shit at fighting games. But I do have to say that this game does invite you to experiment more out of your comfort zone. Spidey is a super fast rushdown character. I never play those characters but here I am, web zipping trough supers and shit.
  • flighflighflugitflighflighflugit Joined: Posts: 1,669
    I still think Arthur is really good and has a lot of room for potential. Maybe that's because I play ryu though.

I'm sure certain matchups make you use gold armor but at least it's not a death sentence anymore when your armor does break