MvCI Meta and Tier Discussion

Comments

• DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,471
    Flight tends to be kinda useless in neutral unless you got big fuck off air normals like sent or painwheel.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • GhostTearGhostTear Vanessa for MVCI! Joined: Posts: 2,281
    @DevilJin 01 whats your opinion on soul stone thus far
  • quicksquicks Joined: Posts: 3,249
    Dime wrote: »
    Flight tends to be kinda useless in neutral unless you got big fuck off air normals like sent or painwheel.

If you don't have a air dash then yer
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,219 mod
    edited August 24
    GhostTear wrote: »
    whats your opinion on soul stone thus far

Dunno. All I got is I see duos. Just got back to the US so I'll have more of an opinion and analysis later. Just saw the stone like 3 hours ago

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• KiyaaKingKiyaaKing Joined: Posts: 1,018
    Will soul stone timer scam be a thing? Even thinking about the potential of it now is frightening. Imagine Chun X Dorm with that soul. Multiple ways to set it up and then run away.

Maybe, but probably not as effective as time stone. Having multiple characters on screen runs the risk of getting happy birthdayed, and I imagine your control of the second character will be somewhat limited. Better to have a free invincible dash and low recovery moves to keep projectiles on screen while moving around faster than the opponent can catch you.
    My Characters/Teams:
    UMvC3 - Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante, Zero/Dante/Strider, Doom/Dormammu/Dante
    SSF4 - Juri, Yun, El Fuerte
    Injustice - Flash, Zod, Lex Luthor
    Skullgirls - Cerebella/Squigly, Parasoul/Double
    GGXXAC+R - Slayer, Baiken

3DS FC: 5043-2719-7330
    The surge is good got another teammate, but controling both is going to get you extremely bopped often
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,745
    Haggar Lariat is going to shit on Soul Storm HARD. I guess that's what he deserves since Space and Reality can make his life pretty difficult.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,468 mod
    Haggar Lariat is going to shit on Soul Storm HARD. I guess that's what he deserves since Space and Reality can make his life pretty difficult.
    Isn't trapping him in the box just inviting yourself to get lariatted?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • WorstPlayerWorstPlayer Calm Yourself Joined: Posts: 4,330
    If he commits to lariat he can be pretty fucked if blocked, it's not like he can switch, what does his super look like while boxed? I heard Hulk kind of goes nowhere. Which reminds me, someone playing fucking HULK damnit ha
  • GitsumGitsum Joined: Posts: 89
    What is everyone's opinion on Ironman? Is the strategy for IM to control space at midscreen? Is he more support? Jack of all trades?
    Gitsum!
    Gitsum wrote: »
    What is everyone's opinion on Ironman? Is the strategy for IM to control space at midscreen? Is he more support? Jack of all trades?

He looks slow
  • flickyflicky Joined: Posts: 641
    He looks like he's hardly changed, sure he's in a giant metal suit but he should be one of the most mobile characters in the game, the only catch is the suit is a bit unpredictable at times.
    edited August 24
    i saw a video i forgot where strider flipped out of jedah/dorm combo. he flips out during dorms chaotic flame and im wondering if there is a magic number when characters flip out to prevent infinite's
    and such.
    Post edited by GhostTear on
  • nappydudenappydude Joined: Posts: 555
    Top tiers..
    Chun li
    Zero
    Cap Marvel
    Ultron
    Iron Man
    Mega Man
    Thanos

In no order...
    They are more or less top tier point/battery characters..
    Friend or foe!!!
    edited August 24
    Don't see anything about Iron Man or Thanos that looks top tier.

Morrigan will most likely be sleeper high tier to top tier.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• killthevibekillthevibe i'm a marvel/dbz player now Joined: Posts: 661
    I predict Ultron will turn out to be Infinite's Wesker. He'll be on every team in the first two months and then disappear.
    I feel he's closer to Doom than Wesker considering he looks like he makes every team stronger and has his own assists to cover a lot of angles on his own or even more with tag switches

Iron man could be sleeper, we definitely haven't seen enough

Thanos is definitely not top teir
    Dorm, Zero, Morrigan, Captain Marvel, Ultron,

are definitely gonna be top tier with how much they bring to the table. all around good characters.

People are sleeping on just how big a deal Lariat is in MvCI. A multi-hitting, grounded, invincible move that can be comboed from with tags or resources is an amazing tool which can completely dominate some match ups. Just have a contingency plan for Morrigan/Dormammu type characters and you're set.
    edited August 24
    People are sleeping on just how big a deal Lariat is in MvCI. A multi-hitting, grounded, invincible move that can be comboed from with tags or resources is an amazing tool which can completely dominate some match ups. Just have a contingency plan for Morrigan/Dormammu type characters and you're set.

idk. i always felt you could just bait him to use it and punish after always. like you know he has it.
  • MegamanSteveMegamanSteve Joined: Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    GhostTear wrote: »

idk. i always felt you could just bait him to use it and punish after always. like you know he has it.

The tag mechanics will make it harder to punish... you can pretty much throw it out and tag immediately
    "He who hesitates is lost"
    - Bass, MegaMan7
    edited August 24
    Lariat tag will be really good if it retains the 60 invincibility frames from the point version in UMVC3. Top tier point + lariat dominated Marvel 3 for a reason.

The one big possible issue with lariat in MVCI is that characters with strong assist special moves have to be utilized on point. So if there's a rushdown character that's good at out maneuvering him or a zoner that zones him out then it'll only be so effective. Plus there will likely be low attacks that low profile the lariat like in Marvel 3. That was the best way to beat.lariat in Marvel 3

The tag system is so fluid that you can get him in pretty easily. Haggar's problem in 3 was that he absolutely needed 2 assists to be strong on point but was himself an assist character and a terrible anchor that didn't really have the air mobility or DHCs you'd want in the second spot. He was also a massive XF hog because it let him confirm off of Lariat, which he can now do basically free with tags.

The only characters I'm really worried about being bad in this game are Chris and Spencer. Anyone else should at least have a stone/partner type that covers their weaknesses well. Even then, Chris might be redeemable with the Reality Stone.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 10,471
    If you tag to get Haggar in, he won't be able to tag his lariat. The same way in umvc3 if you use an assist to get in, you can't use that assist as a blockstring, or pressure reset or mixup tool, in general.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,482
    If Chris and spencer retain thier grown man damage they will be fine.
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 7,937
    Haggar must be king
    Haggar will be king

The only question is who is his rightful brother on team huge, hulk or nemesis.
  • digos25digos25 PIMBA PIMBA PIMBA Joined: Posts: 567
    Haggar must be king
    Haggar will be king

Thanos, beam super to tag in Haggar and get up close for a free mix up. Other big bodys don´t have this.
  • willselesswillseless Joined: Posts: 2,537
    One thing I'll be sure to do is test the spamming of moves with time storm. Even if most of it is useless, I want to see it visually. I wonder if Chris doing magnum>magnum>magnum>reload>magnum would work.
    Just messing around in story mode it seems like quick fireballs are the best things to spam. Like Captain Marvel's beam spam in time storm isn't particularly scary initially any way. Chun Li's fireballs are pretty good in time storm. Then of course Morrigan's look pretty OD.

Visual of how the anti pushback on pushblocks in Power Storm works. In the video you can hear a lot of pushback sounds being done, but Ultron stays in.

O7Q7qr.gif

Another visual of the difference between the air mind surge and the ground mind surge. Air grab seems to have quicker start up. The grounded one is clearly slower in comparison and still seemingly easy to react to or just lose to mashed buttons unless it has armor. Which again forces you to have tag/hit box setups.

lOAOXg.gif

Haggar must be king
    Haggar will be king

Thor. SPD all day every day dawg.
  • digos25digos25 PIMBA PIMBA PIMBA Joined: Posts: 567
    Haggar must be king
    Haggar will be king

Thor. SPD all day every day dawg.

Whiff an SPD into tag into SPD.

Hawkeye is looking in for a shout of being low teir, no chip, can reflect projectiles, time gem.

He's just a gimlet bot at this point
  • Nino_AllahNino_Allah Joined: Posts: 5
    edited August 25
    Power stone definitely my early stone, as shown in video good luck stopping chars who can just maul you without a pushblock, the added surge as a defensive or offensive tool just makes you strong all game.

Trick shield, tag, power storm, ultron go to work. Ultron is so versatile I see him being any position either supporting or being supported and being good. Im gonna support w cap at first then likely make ultron support a top tier later that can just mix.
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,482
    Who is the gimmick team of ground grab super dhc into air grab super. Thor/Frank?
    edited August 25
    I'll be back here with a write up of what I think of the Soul Stone so far. Has potential, but definitely seems like it'll be the most difficult stone to utilize to its full potential. This is the stone that most likely only execution/combo dudes go for unless there's some herpa derp duo that is braindead easy to use. Will likely be the most character specific stone. Especially seeing how characters with attack or supers that do multiple hits will likely have better duo combos.

tbh at least Chris, Ryu, and Hawkeye have a good super to spam. Spencer is just pointless unless they give him Hulk's damage or something.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,691
    I'll be back here with a write up of what I think of the Soul Stone so far. Has potential, but definitely seems like it'll be the most difficult stone to utilize to its full potential. This is the stone that most likely only execution/combo dudes go for unless there's some herpa derp duo that is braindead easy to use. Will likely be the most character specific stone. Especially seeing how characters with attack or supers that do multiple hits will likely have better duo combos.

It along with the time stone will easily have the most lab time dedicated to it. There's also something about iron man and jedah that scream 2 years of labtime optimization to me.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,468 mod
    What's to optimize with time? Just find the best A-Groove combos for it.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,691
    d3v wrote: »
    What's to optimize with time? Just find the best A-Groove combos for it.

There's gonna be some crazy patterns with the scaling and the whiff canceling into other moves. I didn't mean combo wise
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala