Hori RAP 4 - Did I just buy a dud ?

swoosegooseswoosegoose Joined: Posts: 4
Hi friends, a newbie here. I recently bought a HORI RAP 4 arcade stick from the middle east through a friend of mine working there. I chose the middle east route since the same stick costs roughly about 400 USD in India. That's PS4 console ballpark and I just couldn't justify the extra premium that I had to shell out. So my friend came back to India with the arcade stick and I was pretty excited just to see the packaging let alone the stick. I took the stick home and connected it to the PS4 after watching a few YouTube videos on how to properly connect one. Then came the bummer, the joystick wouldn't register down input *Facepalm*,every other input worked pretty flawlessly. I then started reading on this specific problem online and after scouring through various threads came across the potential cause, that it could be due to a faulty snap action switch in the joystick assembly. I sourced the micro switch that they widely use in arcade cabinets in my town and replaced the original and what I thought was the faulty one with the new micro switch. The stick still didn't respond to the down input and I pretty much concluded that the problem lies elsewhere. And my temporal lobe was like, 'Elsewhere, you mean the bloody PCB, that's rocket science, that's way beyond what a mere mortal like you could fiddle with '. So, I threw a random Hail Mary and entrusted the stick with a friend who said he knew people who work on dual shock controllers and consoles. It has been a while now and when I spoke with him last week he said they were unsure if they could fix it since they weren't familiar with one. It is depressing just to think about the stick now.
Is there any way the stick could be fixed ? Looking forward to valuable suggestions from fellow tech savvy members. Thanks in advance.

Posting a few photos for reference
http://imgur.com/a/dOFGt

Regards
Gautham

Comments

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,452
    Look at the 5-pin connector, and the wires from that to the main PCB.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • swoosegooseswoosegoose Joined: Posts: 4
    Sorry about the late reply, I did check the 5-pin connector for defects in soldering and came up with nothing. I checked the wires too, all the way up to the main PCB.
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 469
    Did you use a multimeter or did you just check it visually?
    Did you use a multimeter or did you just check it visually?

Just a visual inspection. I just didn't think it through I guess. Right now the arcade stick is with my friend, i'll ask him to check it and I will keep you guys posted. Thanks.
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 396
    Did you try just shorting the down lead to ground(just connect the solder points or terminals on the switch with a paper clip)?
    If it registers the down press, then it's the switch that's bad. Otherwise, it's something else.
    Stupid question - did you swap replace the top microswitch on the stick, or the bottom one?
    Did you try just shorting the down lead to ground(just connect the solder points or terminals on the switch with a paper clip)?
    If it registers the down press, then it's the switch that's bad. Otherwise, it's something else.
    Stupid question - did you swap replace the top microswitch on the stick, or the bottom one?

I didn't short the switch, but i replaced it with a new one right away.
    I swapped the top microswitch in the arrangement since the shaft makes contact with the microswitch that is located in the opposite direction when we pull the balltop downwards. Cheers mate.