Why are female fighters almost always portrayed as "kick chicks"?

SuperMillionaireSuperMillionaire Joined: Posts: 9
[url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickChick "]tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickChick [/url]

In real life, female fighters who fight in the UFC, as well as in action movies, know how to punch, but in fighting games, female fighters are often stereotyped as fighting predominately with kicks, or they do punch, but their punches are weak in comparison to their kicks; TV Tropes calls this trope a "kick chick." The trope codifier is Chun-Li, who debuted in Street Fighter II, the original female fighter. Since then, many female fighters have followed in her footsteps, but by kicking almost all the time, they are promoting the negative stereotype that women don't know how to punch. Chun-Li practices kung fu and tai chi, and I'm sure that those martial arts are not all kicking; they definitely have punches in them. And one Street Fighter character, Elena from Street Fighter III, takes it to the extreme by never, ever using her fists; she doesn't punch at all! Her fighting style is capoeira, which has a lot of kicks, but still. And Juri is another example of a kick chick; she practices taekwondo, but again, to be fair, that martial art consists of predominately kicks (though it does have at least a few punches). The only female fighters who should be kick chicks are those who practice taekwondo and ninjutsu, since ninjas apparently also tend to kick more often than they punch as well. Everyone else should punch more often than they kick. And I would also like to see a female fighter who practices boxing, and uses only punches.

Why are female fighters in fictional fighting games often portrayed as kick chicks who don't know how to punch?

Comments

• amrraedamrraed Bombeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Joined: Posts: 4,636
    edited August 15
    When I think of the SF5 females, i see Chun which is the epitome of kick chick as you are saying.

Then you got Cammy which is not really about kicks or punches, she uses both about equally. Maybe more kicks cuz of her specials but her style is not solely based on them. You got Laura and Mika who is more into throws and strength so not really kick oriented. You got Kolin which have doesn't really have kicks special moves while her fighting is about rapid punches (stabs ) and counters. Ibuki is about using kunais, Ki and general ninja trickery. Karin is about...... I don't know what she is about but her attacks are punches and kicks too without anyone looking completely dominant over the other.

The only really kick chick in SF5 is Juri and that makes perfect sense, she is based on taekwondo so ofcourse she will be based around kicks.

In other games, usually there are super powers involved or weaponry. There is this games called Injustice 2 where one of the chicks french kisses her opponent as a command grab. Isn't that elegant huh, now as hot as that is, i would prefer them to kick over resorting to stuff like that.

Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Marvel Infinte :Morrigan/Thor , Ultron/Zero , X/Jedah.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman. haven' touched since July.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven. sold that shit.
    PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,279 mod
    I love Ibuki's kicks. Bonsho kick and s.MK all day.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,144
    Kicking hurts more. also longer reach. ever get kicked in the face before? Pr the crown jewels? It hurts. Women know what's up.
  • amrraedamrraed Bombeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Joined: Posts: 4,636
    edited August 16
    I love Ibuki's kicks. Bonsho kick and s.MK all day.

I don't think st.MK technically qualify as a kick. That is a knee to the gut.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Marvel Infinte :Morrigan/Thor , Ultron/Zero , X/Jedah.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman. haven' touched since July.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven. sold that shit.
    PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • Phantom_MiriaPhantom_Miria Cammy <3 Joined: Posts: 416
    Girls are smart and they know that legs have longer reach and hurt more, males instead are stupid and they flail their tiny arms trying to hit stuff only to get kicked in the nuts like they deserve. Not that girls don't know how to punch, they just recognize it as the less strategically worth skill and keep it as second resort.
    Girls >>> Guys, don't forget it!

More seriously though, it probably comes down to the fact that female characters are generally designed to be at least reasonably pleasant-looking, and a pleasant looking woman is not going to be bulky and have trunks for arms. She may end up being pretty athletic but nowhere near as physically imposing as male characters are allowed to get (because male beauty has different standards and male characters are also allowed to be ugly and weird-looking far more often than female ones). In conclusion you end up with designs for female characters that don't look very strong in the upper body section and so it makes more sense to give them either good kicks, high agility or fantastical stuff that has nothing to do with martial arts.

Designs like Zarya from Overwatch are the exception. There's not a counterpart to her in Street Fighter, and honestly right now I can't think of a design like her in fighting games in general.
    Put Decapre in Street Fighter V!
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,144
    I prefer my women to be athletic anyway. Best body type.
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,516
    3S Chun Li didn't really give a shit about kicks other than cr.mk, and her HP is one of the most amazingly enjoyable hits to land in any fighting game

really though it's probably as much a matter of character variety as anything, people are used to the "punchy guy" being a man and so they make a couple of those and then when they move on to other archetypes and adding females that base is already covered.

if we ever get P5 Arena maybe we'll get Makoto beating the shit out of people with her fist weapons
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,275 admin
    This isn't really about SF5, so I'm moving it out of the SF5 forum and over to FGD where it kinda belongs if anywhere.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382
    "I'm sure you're very wicked people - but how dull it would be if everyone was good."

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,842
    edited August 16
    DOA5LR female fighters have strong punches besides kicks, and they aren't big (though Rachel is an exception)

Tia from Breakers Revenge has very strong punches too

think the whole kick stereotype is exaggerated. even Chun Li's beautiful, sharp and fierce punches can be devastating and cause dizzies, especially in SF2. and her arms are strong enough to throw the strongest wrestler.
    Post edited by affinity on
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,079
    Seems like there are enough non-kickchick female fighting game characters for this not even be worth discussing. It's just not an issue in the genre, despite Chun Li being such an obvious example.
  • ZioSerpeZioSerpe Fueled by nostalgia Joined: Posts: 1,236
    KensouADV wrote: »
    And I would also like to see a female fighter who practices boxing, and uses only punches.
    Welll,
    maxresdefault.jpg

And she's trash tier! MALE CHAUVINIST AGENDA CONFIRMED
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,983 mod
    Kicking hurts more. also longer reach. ever get kicked in the face before? Pr the crown jewels? It hurts. Women know what's up.

Case in point, Holly Holms roundhouse to Ronda Rousey during their fight.
    d3v wrote: »

Case in point, Holly Holms roundhouse to Ronda Rousey during their fight.

Let's not get carried away here martial arts all mix kicks and punches for a reason, while kicks pack more power they have a lot of drawbacks when you use them full power like a longer windup and leaving you very open and easier to be put off balance, while in the case of less powerful fast kicks they tend to be less effective than punches because of their area of impact, take a basic low kick from Muay Thai and its derivates (shooting, kick boxing etc.) it is basically a jab but with a kick except is going to hit a shin while a jab can hit you right in the face relatively safely get hit by 100 low kicks in the shins and you'll walk funny, get hit by 100 jabs in the face and you're fucking done for
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,868
    Is this really true? In GG you could make the argument for Millia as her punches are hair moves, but the rest of the cast tends to either punch or use weapons. Well, Jack-o maybe as well if you're generous.

In SF it's basically just the three you mentioned. Ibuki uses her hands just as often, Laura grapples, Sakura is a shot, etc.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,857
    When's Kharma DLC

4e5109f29761445638e4d4cec8d9c9f4--wrestling-stars-wrestling-divas.jpg
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • SuperMillionaireSuperMillionaire Joined: Posts: 9
    Also, if women's MMA is shown on TV, why isn't women's boxing shown on TV? Women's boxing does exist, you know. Laila Ali was the daughter of the late Muhammad Ali, and she was a boxer too. Shouldn't she have popularized women's boxing on TV?
  • flighflighflugitflighflighflugit Joined: Posts: 1,558
    Why do they always stereotype males with punching. Even balrog and Dudley, they take it so far to the extreme that all they have is punches.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,842
    Also, if women's MMA is shown on TV, why isn't women's boxing shown on TV? Women's boxing does exist, you know. Laila Ali was the daughter of the late Muhammad Ali, and she was a boxer too. Shouldn't she have popularized women's boxing on TV?

just goes to show how extra sexist and underground the boxing organizations and boxing fans are towards female fighters, even more so than MMA before UFC made it mainstream (Strikeforce and Invicta FC deserve credit, but UFC put women's MMA on the mainstream map). boxing is in a decline anyways with MMA taking over. even boxers like Holly Holm moved to MMA.

I remember a few years ago there was this boxer chick with huge cans that made news because she fought topless, and that's the 1st and last time I've seen a news on women boxing on sports news.
    CFN - ZioSerpe
    Twitch
  • AirLancerAirLancer Just a touch of Honey Joined: Posts: 824
    ZioSerpe wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago there was this boxer chick with huge cans that made news because she fought topless, and that's the 1st and last time I've seen a news on women boxing on sports news.

Searching for more information only turns up the wrong (or perhaps all too right?) kind of topless boxing.

• Original GamerOriginal Gamer Joined: Posts: 47
    Well at least Yuri Sakazaki, maybe the most positive fem char in history, is a powerful karateka.

And still angry at the designers of KOF13 for cutting her classic hairstyle off...
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,985
    Way too many female characters that don't use primarily kicks for this to even be asked.

• RLAAMJR.RLAAMJR. Test Joined: Posts: 861
    Ororo Munroe aka Storm and Ingrid beg to differ...

5881831-storm_marvel_vs_capcom_3_by_solidsmax-d8ajdhg.gif

5418891-x06_sfxtcomic01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lhicc5dfl7.jpg

"You should have not tangled with nature!" - Storm, X-men vs Street Fighter

Favorite Street Fighter Character: Ingrid
    Favorite Tekken Character: Lili
    Favorite Marvel vs Capcom Character: Ororo Munroe aka Storm
    Favorite Mortal Kombat character: Reptile
    Favorite Darkstalkers character: Bulleta/B.B. Hood

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickChick "]tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickChick [/url]

In real life, female fighters who fight in the UFC, as well as in action movies, know how to punch, but in fighting games, female fighters are often stereotyped as fighting predominately with kicks, or they do punch, but their punches are weak in comparison to their kicks; TV Tropes calls this trope a "kick chick." The trope codifier is Chun-Li, who debuted in Street Fighter II, the original female fighter. Since then, many female fighters have followed in her footsteps, but by kicking almost all the time, they are promoting the negative stereotype that women don't know how to punch. Chun-Li practices kung fu and tai chi, and I'm sure that those martial arts are not all kicking; they definitely have punches in them. And one Street Fighter character, Elena from Street Fighter III, takes it to the extreme by never, ever using her fists; she doesn't punch at all! Her fighting style is capoeira, which has a lot of kicks, but still. And Juri is another example of a kick chick; she practices taekwondo, but again, to be fair, that martial art consists of predominately kicks (though it does have at least a few punches). The only female fighters who should be kick chicks are those who practice taekwondo and ninjutsu, since ninjas apparently also tend to kick more often than they punch as well. Everyone else should punch more often than they kick. And I would also like to see a female fighter who practices boxing, and uses only punches.

Why are female fighters in fictional fighting games often portrayed as kick chicks who don't know how to punch?

Women are on average more flexible and have equal-to-stronger lower bodies compared to being DRASTICALLY out-matched punch-wise. Makes sense that kicks are their forte.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why do they always stereotype BLACK males with punching. Even balrog and Dudley, they take it so far to the extreme that all they have is punches.

Fixed for you...
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,220
    good question
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 1,086
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    Why do they always stereotype BLACK males with punching. Even balrog and Dudley, they take it so far to the extreme that all they have is punches.

Fixed for you...
    Bruce? Eddy? Dee Jay? Zack?

All those guys kick a lot.
    T7FR - Eddy, Bob, Dragonuv, Hwoarang, M.Raven
    I2 - Atrocitus
    SFV - Balrog, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Yuri/Leona
    GGxrdR2 - Chipp
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    Rhio2k wrote: »

Fixed for you...
    Bruce? Eddy? Dee Jay? Zack?

All those guys kick a lot.

Yes, and they also are all shining examples of coonery.

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • the7kthe7k Kitty Pride. Joined: Posts: 5,573
    edited August 30
    Aside from a few Taekwondo and Capoeira fighters, most males are defined by their punch moves. Ryu and Ken can do kicks and punches plenty well enough, but how many artistic depictions are there of them doing Shoryukens compared to them doing Tatsumakis? Just google image search it. How many special moves do characters like Zangief and E.Honda have that make use of their legs? And that's not even getting into characters like Balrog/M.Bison and Dudley

The ideal male body is almost entirely based on their upper body. It only makes sense then that in a game filled with ideal male specimens, you're gonna see a lot of punching among the male cast. Meanwhile, legs that go on for days has long been a staple element of the ideal female body - it would only make sense then that you'd play that up as much as possible.

I'm failing to see why this needs to be brought up. Is this a problem somehow? And if so, why? Is it somehow damaging to society the notion that women are better than men at kicking?
    "Comebacks are fine as long as I'm the one doing them. Otherwise, they are evidence of a broken, poorly balanced game and it's all because of poor netcode and in-game lag due to poor port optimization and it was a terrible matchup and they need to patch the game and I should have won that and why does anyone even play this awful, fraud friendly game."
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,990
    affinity wrote: »

just goes to show how extra sexist and underground the boxing organizations and boxing fans are towards female fighters, even more so than MMA before UFC made it mainstream (Strikeforce and Invicta FC deserve credit, but UFC put women's MMA on the mainstream map). boxing is in a decline anyways with MMA taking over. even boxers like Holly Holm moved to MMA.

You're the most sexist person I've ever read on the Internet.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,083
    edited August 30

^^ I hear ya. This is a long running stereotype with women. That even though they lack upper body strength, their legs are supposed to (somehow)be strong as hell. Even though its bullshit. A woman and a man of comparable age, build, height and fitness level, the dude would still be able to leg press more weight. But whatever.

Like all stereotypes and various media, this has naturally carried over into gaming as well. It's just something we've come to accept and not bother to question.

Honestly. There are worst stereotypes in gaming that are worth debating instead.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,739
    Magegg wrote: »
    affinity wrote: »

You're the most sexist person I've ever read on the Internet.

You can't expect more from the most ignorant member that have to disgrace this site.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)