Menat General Thread - Don't Drop The Orb

Comments

• FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,056 mod

Fuzzy guard set-up in VT
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,293
    mykka wrote: »
    Menat says different things during her CA, depending on the punch button you use

I figured out she had different lines during her ult but I didn't know what caused it.
    The amount of work they put in this character keeps impressing me.
    [SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Thanos and something else
  • KitL19KitL19 Joined: Posts: 1,651
    I really don't get how you make a character with 2 specials and all conflicting inputs. Despite me liking her playing her on pad is a fucking chore.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,114
    edited September 3
    Ok I think I've found a "bnb" for her that's not to hard and allows for easy resets and does really good damage into super 499...

Dont know how to really notate it though so here goes nothin.

V trigger activate:

Cr.mk mk orb, cr.hp xx L sphere, m orb, st.mk xx recall, H orb, dash cr.hp xx D v skill, LP LK orb

Tack on a super and it's 499 tack on an H DP and it's 376.

Note that the HK orb isn't used here. That's REALLY good because it allows a lot of options such as after the super connnects you can still HK drill plus HK orb for easy plus on block, or you can dash and do HK orb to cover your dash and get pressure or you can do cr.mp xx L sphere HK orb>dash to get a free pressure from L sphere cancel.

Also note that since the HK orb isn't used in the combo, you can easily reset after the dash cr.hp xx L sphere point by throwing the HK orb then doing a a high/low xx recall combo into cr.hp xx down v skill, lk lp orb juggle into super or DP.

Damage before reset is 302. Reset is 280 damage for meterless DP. With super its 375. So this is like a 700 damage reset that is almost completely safe to go for because of the hk orb blockstun.

There's of course a ton of other things that can be done here as well, longer combos and whatnot but he timing gets tricky on those whereas the posted combo has very easy timing absolutely no walk forward crap making you do DP and shit.

@Froztey
    Post edited by Dime on
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • RLAAMJR.RLAAMJR. Test Joined: Posts: 903
    Damn these guys are fast

sfv_bikini_menat_by_monkeygigabuster-dblwc17.jpg

The best costume ever. :)
    "You should have not tangled with nature!" - Storm, X-men vs Street Fighter

Favorite Street Fighter Character: Ingrid
    Favorite Tekken Character: Lili
    Favorite Marvel vs Capcom Character: Ororo Munroe aka Storm
    Favorite Mortal Kombat character: Reptile
    Favorite Darkstalkers character: Bulleta/B.B. Hood

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,293
    KitL19 wrote: »
    I really don't get how you make a character with 2 specials and all conflicting inputs. Despite me liking her playing her on pad is a fucking chore.

It's ass on stick too.

btw here's what she says during CA depending on the button pressed:
    LP: "Cloudy with a chance of soul storm!"
    MP: "Mmmh... sorry to say... it looks bad!"
    HP: "But you already know that!"
    [SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Thanos and something else
    LOL...

Why did you give me a "get rekt" @Cipher ?

You'll have to explain that one to me bud or else I have no clue what you are talking about.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 3,298
    KitL19 wrote: »
    Despite me liking her playing her on pad is a fucking chore.

Really wish the custom button mapping would be like UMVC3 and Tekken 7.

Be able to map LP + HP to one of my fightpad's triggers would be a godsend.

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Menat
    Menat seems like a complete ballache on pad, same for Ed and his piano
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,904
    Froztey wrote: »

How so? I don't have problems, but I also don't try to do Long V-Trigger combos.
    I'm more the guy who wants to reset you 3 times.
    There can never be enough Waifus and I can never have enough of them!!!
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Guilty Gear: Elphe, Jack-O

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,040
    Yeah she says different things..... I can't make out what she says during her other super...."cloudy with a chance of cold sores?"

I shall present your prophecy - cloudy with a chance of soul storm
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    edited September 4
    Cipher wrote: »

How so? I don't have problems, but I also don't try to do Long V-Trigger combos.

Either way those VT combos require some really quick p-link esque button presses. Shit like cr.mp xx LP.Sphere~mp release(almost instant) is gonna be a real bitch on a pad
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,328
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,904
    The sprite with her taunt is still to fast, there is no enjoymeant.

Man it's so cute how Menat fangirls Rose :)
    There can never be enough Waifus and I can never have enough of them!!!
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy, Rose
    Guilty Gear: Elphe, Jack-O

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • UbersaurusUbersaurus RIP Kinn "ROBOTRON" Joined: Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like the character, and she's probably the most fun I've used in the game... but good lord she needs a wake up or anything to get people off her once they get in. A teleport, a dp that hits on the ground, whatever - she's basically dead before knockdown pressure.
    When someone asks if you're a god...say yes
    Cipher wrote: »

Either way those VT combos require some really quick p-link esque button presses. Shit like cr.mp xx LP.Sphere~mp release(almost instant) is gonna be a real bitch on a pad

Don't know about on pad but those things aren't that hard on a stick if you hold the mp then release it after the LP sphere, no need to plink unless you just find that execution easier. I'm using plinks double taps and negative edges in my combos, it all depends on what I find easiest with my current hand configuration during the combo.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • mercureXImercureXI Joined: Posts: 57
    Yeah ... isn't she the only "low life low stun" character without any i-frames reversal nor any armored move ?

Feels like "1 jump over your poke" can end all your hard work in an instant ... and potentially close the round !
    The strengths she has are only justified by her huge weaknesses. If she got a reversal she'd more than likely have to be toned down in some serious manner... and I'm talking more than just making her v trigger 3 bars...
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • forest31forest31 No throw break! Joined: Posts: 810
    Her biggest weakness might be her anti-airs without orb
    youtube.com/user/ForestTekkenVideos
    cr.hp orbless is insanely good
  • forest31forest31 No throw break! Joined: Posts: 810
    edited September 5
    Actually yeah her biggest weakness is her lack of a medium, medium hit confirmable 2-hit combo. Is Menat the only character without one?

I'm seeing in a lot of match videos that the QCF+P orb recall is a good anti-air option. Menat might even get a full combo after the orb hits.
    Post edited by forest31 on
    youtube.com/user/ForestTekkenVideos
  • UbersaurusUbersaurus RIP Kinn "ROBOTRON" Joined: Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    mercureXI wrote: »
    Yeah ... isn't she the only "low life low stun" character without any i-frames reversal nor any armored move ?

Feels like "1 jump over your poke" can end all your hard work in an instant ... and potentially close the round !

Man, I would settle for her having an alpha counter that isn't just an invitation to punch her in the face for even attempting it.
    When someone asks if you're a god...say yes
    forest31 wrote: »
    Actually yeah her biggest weakness is her lack of a medium, medium hit confirmable 2-hit combo. Is Menat the only character without one?

I'm seeing in a lot of match videos that the QCF+P orb recall is a good anti-air option. Menat might even get a full combo after the orb hits.
    Laura doesn't have a medium medium, urien didn't have one in season 1, I'm not sure if fang has one, birdie doesn't have one, but he does have medium>light iirc

But characters that don't have one usually have something else to make up for it like a heavy>medium or medium>heavy or medium>light or heavy>light

Menat has a heavy>medium in orbless or after a jump attack with the orb (st.hk>cr.mp)

But yeah, menats link combo is by far the most restricted out of the cast outside of Laura.

Laura is even worse off because her medium link is medium>light and the medium is -2 on block.

Off the top of my head, rog/sim/Mika/Laura don't have a medium medium though they have one of the other kinds of links.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,328
    Even her "No Orb" crouching heavy kick cancels into her recall.
    A lot of her stuff without orb is also plus or safe as fuck.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• mercureXImercureXI Joined: Posts: 57
    edited September 5
    Dime wrote: »
    The strengths she has are only justified by her huge weaknesses. If she got a reversal she'd more than likely have to be toned down in some serious manner... and I'm talking more than just making her v trigger 3 bars...

3 bar VT wouldn't be that bad, especially since that would mean activating during her specials ... not really a bad trade, if it means getting some sort of "get off me" move ...

I'd get rid of that V-Reversal BS and give everyone some "get off me" move using 1 VT bar, so that you can choose defense (reversal) or damage (VT) ...

V-Reversal loses to half of the setups anyway ... if not more ... and Menat's V-Reversal loses to basically everything, so slow, just throw a limb and combo her ass for free ...

Right now, If you're Menat, in the corner, down on the ground : that's basically GGPO ! (meaning you better not eat any EX dash punch lol)

Can't believe Capcom still didn't reset things to neutral or slight advantage after normal throws, while preventing me from punishing a whiffed throw with a neutral jump + added bonus of being easily put back in mixup city with some notorious jab AA when you try to do so ! (Necalli really needs that tool ?)

So many things easily changed that would make this game much more enjoyable ... Defense, for about half of the cast, is all about blocking and praying ... Your opponent doesn't have to respect anything at all and can push buttons / throw all day ... until you guess right ... if it ever happens :)
    Post edited by mercureXI on

If you want to blue ball the opponent with LP and LK orbs, make sure Menat is crouching.
    KOFXIV

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7

BBCF

SFV ???

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,991 mod
    Orb recall is a really good orbless AA. Can't use it on reaction but calling it back pretty much covers most of the area that someone wants to jump in and then you can juggle afterwards. If they don't jump you get the orb back for all your strong AA's any way.

The V Trigger LP and LK balls also seem good for AA as well. Probably your most practical use for them.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• MaravillaMaravilla Joined: Posts: 276
    Not sure if it's with or without orb but her cr.hp is insanely good as an anti air.

If you want to blue ball the opponent with LP and LK orbs, make sure Menat is crouching.

This is actually amazing tech since she forces stand with cr.hp... might mean she has loops off of lp and lk and can save a couple of the medium and heavy orbs for later use in resets.. maybe.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • amrraedamrraed THICC- LI Joined: Posts: 4,844
    edited September 6

I use her now and on a pad. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is not too bad.

I was struggling with the VT stuff on the first two days but it is a second nature now.
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    Marvel Infinte :Morrigan/Thor , Ultron/Zero , X/Jedah.
    Injustice 2 : Wonder Woman, Superman. haven' touched since July.
    Tekken 7 : Lars, Katarina, Master Raven. sold that shit.
    PSN ID : moraelgamed
    CFN: Thxymora
    Yes, i play T7 and I2 and i still like SF5 more than both of them, sue me.
  • CDB2CDB2 Joined: Posts: 3,298
    Menat cosplay

lOvpxLn.jpg

7487df97ab2d7a503a849fd381a9cc3957e22bccb452d699c5d8e864f9b6d371.jpg

Tekken 7: Kazyua, Dragnov
    Injustice: Black Adam, Starfire, Batman, Sub-Zero
    SFV: Laura, Menat
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,536
    I've actually seen another girl do it but cant find the pictures
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
    Early development ideas for Menat https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/131970

For once I think they chose the best design
  • handa711handa711 Joined: Posts: 159
    Weird shit: she can press another button to release an orb only after hp, hk and c.hk.
    Her divekick being unsafe on hit is a joke
    Her divekick being unsafe on hit is a joke

Not really. If it was safe on high hits that would be pretty absurd and approaching yun/yang sf4 style divekicks. As it is you just have to make sure that you hit your divekick around your opponents knees on hit or ankles on block. That ensures that it's hard to space correctly and doesn't become an sf4 style divekick.

Even cammys divekick isn't plus on block when spaced incorrectly.

Only real problem I have with menat divekicks is that they are only doable from straight down on the joystick. I'd like to be able to do them from down/forward as well to make it easier to do instant divekicks without getting out a jump normal.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • Deimos002Deimos002 Metro Citizen Joined: Posts: 319
    Bit of ''''tech'''' I haven't seen yet.
    You can juggle with the orbs out of Medium EX Orb.

Someone hit the lab for me for a sick setup.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,040
    Found this today

SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...