PSA: Equifax hacked

NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,491
Just doing a PSA if you happen to have/had a US credit card. Review this super useful reddit thread on what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6yv4gb/official_mega_thread_recent_equifax_security/

Fuck EQUIFUCKS.
=============================================================
"I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
'Racism, that's the name of the game
And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

Comments

• MarcOfTheBeastMarcOfTheBeast Joined: Posts: 306
    These credit reporting agencies have slipped past regulation for far too long; Congress and the SEC needs to drop a hammer on all of them. Given the recent news of Equifax; I'm willing to bet TransUnion and Experian will not beef up their security efforts. They will probably keep doing the same ole shit and risking everyone's information because they want to save some money.

Great story on these crooks:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/01/credit-scores-cfpb/512162/
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    They should be under government control imo
    This is offensive.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,041
    Raz0r wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy buying a car with 55% financing.

At this point, it's better than having some "Russian hacker" selling his SSN on the darknet, lol...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 626
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/susan-m-93069a
    The funny part is she is a Music Majour. Round of applause!

The site checking shit is BS and your better off monitoring your credit and shit. Legally; even though using the site says it voids your claim to legal action it wont stand in court. Though the amount of damage this caused and the worth of the company it will be bankrupt and no one gets shit.
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,491
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.

• TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,708
    edited September 12

if you have any kind of debt then you have a credit record.
    you don't need a credit card to build credit.
    Play more.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,340
    Dont hate on CC. Just know to pay them off every month and not go overboard with them. Fuck paying interest.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    Tebbo wrote: »

if you have any kind of debt then you have a credit record.
    you don't need a credit card to build credit.

But it's the easiest way to build credit. Debit cards don't build credit and if you're in NY, getting an apartment without credit or thousands of dollars in security is nearly impossible.

That's not including other types of loans, services, etc.
    This is offensive.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,889
    Another downside to living in awful New York.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    That's in any market in the US. But I guess you don't need to live near job centers when you clean toilets so.
    This is offensive.
    edited September 13
    Except I live near job centers paying less then 650 in rent for a 2 bedroom house with a backyard and didnt need a credit check to qualify. Don't clean toilets either.

But keep on losing Raz0r with your shitty apartment for over a grand that keeps trying to push you out due to gentrification. N.Y. sounds just great.
    I live in a luxury apartment with a friend and have a multi-year lease. Wtf?
    This is offensive.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,877

In New York? Please.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    I figured one baseless assumption deserved another.
    But I definitely know you scrub toilets tho.
    This is offensive.
  • highluluhighlulu Joined: Posts: 3,841
    One of the gems from this fiasco is that in order to see if you were affected, you have to go onto their site. If you do this, they make you sign an agreement to give up the right to sue in a class-action lawsuit. Shit is shameless.

Glad the NY attorney general is already taking them to task.

ooooh will we finally have a case big enough to set prescedence that a required opt-in contract is bullshit and automatically void? cause the legality of those clauses has always been a super grey area
    Umvc3 - (Nova/Frank/Dante) (Nova/Spencer/Strange) (Zero/Doom/Vergil)
    SF4 - Cammy, Ken
  • shannonfullershannonfuller Joined: Posts: 1
    edited September 13
    They should be under government control imo
    I can agree with you because it is not funny
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm confused. If you didn't use their services, are you not at risk?
  • FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 626

Could have been put on their database from other places doing background checks for credit scores.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,829

I've never used their service directly but a company that you've used to get a loan, like financing a car may have used them.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    Suddenly feel justified not having a credit card for the last 10 years.

Damn, I knew I shoulda just closed my accounts 2 years ago. Was thinking about it too back then...
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    *of course* this bullshit happens when I'm trying to finalize some things on getting a house. Of fucking course. I will refrain from publicly stating what may happen to certain people if I end up getting fucked over.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,340
    Credit checking shit is a huge scam. Can be in their systems without even knowing.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,851
    In before some actual Fight Club/Mr. Robot shit happens.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,491
    **tin-foil-hat mode**
    I don't think people realize the full gravity of the situation relating to this; they have access of ssn, driver license #, dob,name, address. It is not just US residents, it is anyone who ever done business with the US that required credit. There are reports of Brit records being also potentially affected. Look around your neighborhood and that store/bodega/cafe etc you had just passed probably has a loan/line-of-credit that is reported to one of the 3 big reporting agency.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,562
    I got done freezing my credit. Fuck Equifax automated system though. It hang up on me when I asked it to repeat my pin.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Heat_SleepHeat_Sleep R.I.P. Malcolm Young Joined: Posts: 1,380
    edited September 14
    I know it's a week late but it's still just as relevant.

• DAyalaDAyala Joined: Posts: 59
    Damn it says I may be impacted.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,041
    DAyala wrote: »
    Damn it says I may be impacted.

Freeze your credit, rotate your passwords often, and possibly look into updating your photo ID/Drivers License if you've had it awhile.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10