PSA: Equifax hacked

Comments

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Raz0r wrote: »
    And none of them will see jail time nor will any reform be passed.

America, isn't it great?

Muh regulations gonna ruin Murica!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,899
    Baltimore law firm leads class-action lawsuit against Equifax

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-law-firm-leads-class-action-lawsuit-against-equifax/12254125?utm_campaign=WBALTV&utm_content=59bc973804d30154a6ce20c3&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content
    "Equifax failed to secure the data of millions, perhaps billions of people -- your data, my data, everybody who has a credit card or ever applied for credit -- their data is out in the open for everybody to use," attorney Billy Murphy said.

Among other things, the lawsuit alleges Equifax discovered the breach as early as July 29 chose not to notify consumers and instead tried to find out the extent of the problem by contracting a third-party cybersecurity firm.

It also alleges that Equifax concealed the breaches from the public so that three of its executives could sell shares of stock worth a combined $1.8 million.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,050
    She's the scapegoat. The CEOs are the ones that actually need their asses kicked.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So go to each site and request to freeze ?
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• NinetiesArcadeNinetiesArcade Joined: Posts: 1,492
    Read that Reddit thread I posted page 1. It also suggest freezing 2 other branch.
    =============================================================
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.
    'Racism, that's the name of the game
    And you couldn't escape that if you was David Blaine
    Know what I'm sayin?' -Junk Science, House Wigger

• JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,340
    Freeze everything. See if you can get into the lawsuit.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,162
    I'll assume that taking out student loans for the past 4 years puts me at risk.

I have a defeatist mentality but I'll freeze my credit and hope for the best.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    How much money would we get from the lawsuit? Like $100?
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    How much money would we get from the lawsuit? Like $100?

I once got $1400 from a class action suit when a Bank decided to fuck me over.
    and there was a couple of thousand that gotten payment.
    OH ok, I need to get on that some how... Wonder why not the 150,000,000 Americans are in the clas action already
    OH ok, I need to get on that some how... Wonder why not the 150,000,000 Americans are in the clas action already

Because how fucked you are, checking Equifax if you are effected or not is a coin flip.
    And once you checked, Equifax has your Info if when ever they are hacked again.
    Because typical 'murricans are too busy with their social media bullshit to take a second and realize the full gravity of the situation? Also, look at the media, if its not about the storm, then its about Trump administration etc. You'd have to be in the tech sector to realize what has happened.
    There is enough accounts compromised that you could give a country like South Africa a whole new identity. Pretty nuts imo.
    "I put Soleil Moon Frye's breast reduction up with the Holocaust and Khmer Rouge purge as one of THE most senseless tragedies of the 20th Century." Return of Shiki.

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What the motherfuck are you talking about?

Equifax has been non-stopped reported on since the story broke. Just this morning I read three separate stories of it in the Times, WSJ, and WaPo.

Fix where you get your sources from instead of blaming the newspapers for your oversight.
    This is offensive.
    U right; been binge watching Mr. Robot lately. Meh, Congress hearing is sometime next month, will tune in like a fukin hawk on that one.

edited September 19
    U right; been binge watching Mr. Robot lately. Meh, Congress hearing is sometime next month, will tune in like a fukin hawk on that one.

Until every Senator and Congressmen realizes they are all also just as fucked as the rest of us.
    Being Rich does not mean you don't have a credit history, you just have a higher ceiling on your credit limit.
    Yup. So, will the markets tank because of this?
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,340
    Prob not. Prob settle this out of court and a few people will get to see some cash, and equifax will just offer free credit checking for a few months or some dumb shit, and everything will return as per the status quo.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/equifax-security-breach-earlier-year-49960150

So apparently there was an earlier minor incident on the other division of Equifax and potentially 100k canadian PIIs may have been exposed now.
    October 3rd is the Congress hearing; mark yer calendar kids.
    giphy.gif

jopamo wrote: »
    And if you thought this shit couldn't get any worse...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/16339612/equifax-tweet-wrong-website-phishing-identity-monitoring

I'd actually pay money to watch the execs getting roasted over a spit on TV.

giphy.gif

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,782
    Raz0r wrote: »
    We should finally nationalize these credit bureaus. There's zero reason against it except that few companies lose out on billions of dollars selling our data that we cannot opt out on. Capitalism!
    ...[G]iven how poorly they operate and how little incentive their business model gives them to improve, their duties should be handed over to public institutions.

In at least 40 other countries — including Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and Spain — credit reporting can be done by a public credit registry. It is usually operated by a central bank that already oversees the financial institutions that feed information into the reports. These reports tend to be more accurate because the operators have a legal right to demand data from banks as well as a mandate to ensure it’s correct and that errors are fixed. Data on late payments and defaults are erased once a consumer has settled up.

Many of these public registries leave out things like medical debt, tax information and personal details like marital status, focusing only on loan amounts. Only about 40 percent of registries collect consumers’ addresses, and two-thirds collect taxpayer IDs — the kind of information leaked in the Equifax breach.

The United States government is, of course, not impervious to data breaches, nor does it have a perfect track record of fending them off. In 2015, it announced that hackers had stolen “sensitive information” on 21.5 million people. But the government is at least accountable to public pressure. Equifax never will be, even under the tightest regulation. Credit bureaus have proved to be complete failures at safeguarding the public. Let’s demand we get our data back.

Government already has our financial information. They should just handle any credit inquiries and greatly reduce the scope of their use.

It is kind of hillarious to think that the "hellhole" (as some of you would call) where i live, is one of those 40 countries.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    off topic I know, but it's proof that being Rich does not keep you out of jail.

Martin Shkreli is now inmate #87850-053
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/14/news/martin-shkreli-jail/index.html
    Martin Shkreli once bragged that he would go to a "Club Fed" instead of a real jail. Now he is inmate #87850-053 at a Brooklyn federal jail, which is about as real as it gets.
    Larry Levine, director and founder of Wall Street Prison Consultants, said Shkreli "threatened someone who's federally protected."
    Levine is a prison consultant who served 10 years in 11 federal facilities for racketeering, drug trafficking, machine gun possession and securities fraud. He instructs his prison-bound clients on how to survive their time behind bars.
    He believes that Shkreli has his work cut out for him.
    "He's going to have to walk a fine line here in dealing with the inmates," said Levine, who spent part of his time in Los Angeles MDC.
    His advice for Shkreli? Don't be arrogant, and show some respect.

"Tell him to keep his mouth shut, not to discuss his case, not to discuss his money, not to discuss his notoriety," said Levine.

Shkreli is not going to last till January 16 for his sentencing unless he put into solitary.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,831
    Lesson here is make money but if you're going to be a dick at least have some people in high places that owe you.
    edited September 23
    Did Martin Shkreli at least sell the Wu-Tang album before going to jail?

It's actually in the sales contract that if any member Wu-tang or Bill Murry tries to steal the Album they can legally get away with it without legal repercussion.
    So I am hoping there a heist to break into Shkreli's home.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,050
    Darksakul wrote: »

It's actually in the sales contract that if any member Wu-tang or Bill Murry tries to steal the Album they can legally get away with it without legal repercussion.

Would pay money to see a heist involving Bill Murray and the WU... Throw OJ in there for maximum lol.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,851
    po pimpus wrote: »

Would pay money to see a heist involving Bill Murray and the WU... Throw OJ in there for maximum lol.

That's an Oceans reboot I'd watch. :coffee:
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 1,916
    Aaaaand, my card was compromised. Luckily my bank caught it immediately and it didn't even come out of my account. Have to wait a week for a new card. Grrr, I will definitely be getting in on the class action suit.
    PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
    ShogunZ wrote: »
    Aaaaand, my card was compromised. Luckily my bank caught it immediately and it didn't even come out of my account. Have to wait a week for a new card. Grrr, I will definitely be getting in on the class action suit.
    Awesome meng. Another pro-tip if you have online banking: setup alert for any activity using the lowest allowable amount. Yes it'd be annoying getting email/text or whatever whenever you use your card but at least you can tell its you doing the withdrawal or its being drawn from a check you wrote etc.

po pimpus wrote: »

Shit, make that part of the terms of his parole, your parole is over and any crimes are wipe clean from your record as you receive a full pardon if you help Wu Tang and Bill Murry pull this heist off.
    Screw it. Since I'm on that other identity check/watch list because of a government breach, nothing should happen...
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,851
    Screw it. Since I'm on that other identity check/watch list because of a government breach, nothing should happen...

Sounds like par for the course with your life. :coffee:
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,339
    Fuckers cutting their losses and running!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/business/equifax-ceo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
    The chairman and chief executive of Equifax, Richard F. Smith, retired on Tuesday in the aftermath of a major data breach that exposed the personal information of as many as 143 million people, the credit reporting agency said.

Two other top Equifax executives the chief information officer and the chief security officer stepped down on Sept. 14.

Equifax, based in Atlanta, said this month that hackers had exploited an unpatched flaw in its website software to extract names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and other information about millions of people.

The company faced a blistering outcry from lawmakers and the public for failing to protect the sensitive data and for a response that many found lackluster. A website Equifax created to provide information on the breach was initially plagued by problems, and the company struggled to keep up with a deluge of questions from confused and alarmed consumers.

Three Equifax executives, including its chief financial officer, John W. Gamble Jr., sold $1.8 million in company shares in the days after the breach was discovered but before it was publicly disclosed. (Equifax has said the executives were unaware of the breach at the time of their stock sales.)

Mr. Smith, 57, had been the chairman and chief executive of Equifax Inc. since 2005. He joined the company after a 22-year career at General Electric that included top executive positions in the conglomerates insurance, leasing and asset-management divisions.

Before the data breach at Equifax, Mr. Smith was widely admired on Wall Street for developing new products and increasing sales. Equifax had revenue of $3.1 billion last year, up from $1.4 billion the year he took over

Federal authorities, led by the F.B.I., have opened a criminal investigation into the cyberattack on Equifax.

More than 30 state attorneys general have begun investigations into the breach, and federal lawmakers from both parties have requested information from Equifax and called for hearings on what went wrong. The Massachusetts attorney general filed a lawsuit against Equifax on Sept. 19 sept 19 seeking civil damages and other payments. Mr. Smith had agreed to testify next month before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

"What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN