Everybody's favorite demon, SSStylin' - Dante New Tech Thread

Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJJoined: Posts: 1,646
edited October 9 in Dante
Dante's best and newest Tech, BNB's, Setups & Teams

Our demon hunter is back, with as many stylish moves and combo's as we're used to. Let's compile and discuss his tech
Dante:

Legend
''" or St. = standing
Cr. = crouching
J. = jump
->/<- = directions
qcf = quarter circle forward
qcb = quarter circle back
hcb = half circle back
~~= cancel or plink into
dash = direction+LP+HP or double tap direction
Boldcancel = LK+HK

BNB:
Bread and Butter 1: [1.1 bar]: Dash > J.HP, Cr.lk, S.HP, Stinger (-> HP), HP ~ HK (Volcano), J.LP, J.HP, DashF, J.HP, JumpUp, J.HP, Hammer (QCF + LP), Pop Schredder (QCF + LP) ~ HP, J.LP, J.HP, KIllerbee (QCF + HK), Volcano/Beehive (Down Down HP ~ HP) [Damage: 5300/6100]

Neutral Game Tech: (Bolded moves every Dante should (ab)use!)
Close/mid range:
- J. Dash, ->(Hold)LP [Crossup]
- J. HK/Cr. LP (Instant overhead, cancel-able low]

- St. HK (Shots)
- Crystal (QCF + HP)
- Stinger, Million stabs ( -> HP, HP) [Tag + blockstun]
- Scatter shot (QCF + LP) [Tag + blockstun]

Far/mid range:
- Jump LK / Tigerknee LK
- J. Airplay (QCF + HP)
- Tempest/Tornado (S.QCB + HP, HP, HP) [Full-screen punish, frame-trap, combo, tag + blockstun]

- Acid Rain (QCF + HK) [Incoming, small-keep away]
- Multi-lock (QCF + LK) [Tracking/incoming, tag]

Hitconfirms:
- Cr.lk > ST. HK (Shots) (Into Stinger (-> HP)
- Stinger, Million Stabs (-> HP, HP) (Into Tag or Tempest)
- J. HK > Dash, J.HP (Into any combo)
- Tempest/Tornado (S.QCB + HP, HP, HP) (Into J.LP, J.HP)

Post edited by Bryanv2 on
UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
BB CS2: Bang (Meh..), Makoto, Platinum
Tekken 6: Raven, Lars, King

Comments

• wakalakawakalaka Joined: Posts: 160
    A word of caution, if your combo goes on for too long then your opponent will flip out during the Million Dollars super. It's nice for some sneaky resets/air grabs by tagging in a partner but be careful ending your combos with that super if your teammate is ded
  • ShindrahShindrah I'd use Necro. Joined: Posts: 376
    Does anyone have any super practical bnbs? So far I've only seen the most stylish stuff.
    The key to winning is consistency, consistency, consisency.
    3rd Strike: Necro SSF4: Viper
    BBCS: Hazama MVC3: Trish, Dr. Doom, C. Viper
  • DatSpardaUserDatSpardaUser Joined: Posts: 2,556
    Shindrah wrote: »
    Does anyone have any super practical bnbs? So far I've only seen the most stylish stuff.

This should be good enough to get you going.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • ShindrahShindrah I'd use Necro. Joined: Posts: 376
    edited September 21
    Shindrah wrote: »

This should be good enough to get you going.

Thank you. I made my own BnB and I think I can combine parts of this with it and make it more suitable for my needs. Also, a bi off topic here, but there is absolutely no way to make down down motions into srk motions right? down down triggers me

The key to winning is consistency, consistency, consisency.
    3rd Strike: Necro SSF4: Viper
    BBCS: Hazama MVC3: Trish, Dr. Doom, C. Viper
  • DeezxNutzDeezxNutz Joined: Posts: 32
    Made a playlist of Dante/Chun Mvci - Dante/Chun:
  • Bryanv2Bryanv2 BryanJ Joined: Posts: 1,646
    edited September 23
    Dante neutral game; lows tech
    Edit: I'm currently abusing this so much

UMVC3: Main : Dante/Vergil/Strider (mag). Alt 1#: Wolverine/Dante/Akuma. Alt 2# Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. Alt 3#: Wesker/Anything
    Bait Reversal Fighter 4 AE: Main: Ken - Alts: Akuma, Seth, Ibuki. (Low HP lets go ;_;)
    Some stuff to get people going to setup tags with Dante:
    • Charged Air Play, Multilock, Acid Rain, Twister, Tempest and Crazy Dance completely ignore Advancing Guard;
    • s.LK, j.LK, j.d.HK and Scat Shot (qcf + LP) all ignore the pushback effect of advancing guard, but can be reflected;
    • A second hammer and j.HK under specific conditions (I'll get into detail in a following post) force neutral teching;
    • While they don't ignore it, Jet Stream plows through any attempt at Advancing Guard and so does Reverb Shock if you space just right. Point black c.HK also keeps them locked in blockstun through Advancing Guard due to how deceptively huge it's range is.
    • Vortex plows through Advancing Guard but sadly isn't invincible anymore. I think you can get at least a tag into short hop instant overhead of his air lightning while in DT, but I haven't tried to see how tight the blockstring is.
    I intended to put Gohan into the leading role. It didn’t work out. I felt that compared to Goku, he was ultimately not suited for the part.
  • TheMightyIshmaelTheMightyIshmael Joined: Posts: 8
    Good stuff so far. One thing I found really good for tagging is to cancel the launcher into Acid Rain. The first hit on the way up should hit around the time your next character comes into range. While it doesn't continue the combo, it gives you plenty of time to set up your next mixup.
    Do we have an idea of what the optimized Dante combo is yet? Or what is the highest damaging combo anyone has found yet?
  • Spoonuser12Spoonuser12 Joined: Posts: 112
    Question: What are we all thinking about Stinger xx Drive vs Stinger xx Volcano as our combo starter?
    tryin to pick one of the two... and get my muscle memory goin, still feels like I get rapid stabs too often.
    MvC2: Team Row
    UMvC3: Vergil/Doom/Strider Morrigan in the works.
    youtube.com/spoonuser12
    Twitter.com/Maximumhibler
  • J.DJ.D EVO Staff Joined: Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Game has a lot of creativity, and so far seems like you get same damage from both drive and volcano starter.
    Volcano is a lot easier to convert from. The drive follow ups are more stylish though.

Does anyone know if there is any shortcut to get revolver after volcano? I keep getting a beehive. And if I do it too late I get the super jump sky dance. :anguished:
    Fight For The Future!!
  • alejandroshalejandrosh Joined: Posts: 446
    J.D wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any shortcut to get revolver after volcano? I keep getting a beehive. And if I do it too late I get the super jump sky dance. :anguished:

Came here to ask the same, I'm trying to do bold move into tiger knee revolver but I have the same problem as you, way too many beehives, to the point I drop it like 90% of the time.

On a different topic, what about air grabs? Obviously it's going to be team dependent (I'm using dorm so I think the goal should be ending everything in crazy dance since it gives 3 spells). So far the only thing I've got is a simple : grab -> jump HP -> hammer -> million stabs (just found out this otg's) xx jet stream xx crazy dance xx .....
    UMVC3 : magneto (too fair)/footdive (top 3)/dante (c tier)
    youtube channel
  • Spoonuser12Spoonuser12 Joined: Posts: 112
    How are y'all consistently cancelling stinger into volcano? Is the input f.HP, HP, d, d, HP? Always tend to just get rapid stabs randomly, wondering if there's a better way to buffer it.
    MvC2: Team Row
    UMvC3: Vergil/Doom/Strider Morrigan in the works.
    youtube.com/spoonuser12
    Twitter.com/Maximumhibler
  • BasiliasBasilias Joined: Posts: 30
    How are y'all consistently cancelling stinger into volcano? Is the input f.HP, HP, d, d, HP? Always tend to just get rapid stabs randomly, wondering if there's a better way to buffer it.

You press HK after the second HP. So it'd be fHP, HP, HK. The window is the circle that flashes when Million Stab starts. If you accidentally his HP too many times, you get the quick Million Stabs that you can't cancel.
    Game has a lot of creativity, and so far seems like you get same damage from both drive and volcano starter.
    Volcano is a lot easier to convert from. The drive follow ups are more stylish though.

Drive has much better corner carry tho.

Haven't found any shortcut from Volcano. Everyting being in the same input fucking sucks.
  • BFKalutBFKalut Doing what I can. Joined: Posts: 2
    I'm no Cloud805 but I've mostly been playing Dante nonstop since release. Here's a video of some of the things I've learned without going online to check on what tech is out there. Maybe it'll inspire something or maybe it's all old news but I figured this would be the place to share.

• DeezxNutzDeezxNutz Joined: Posts: 32
    Got a cheap one for ya guys
  • FreddyL0c0FreddyL0c0 Joined: Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Meter gain is nutty! Im sure we can get more than 7k
    Spencer Dante Hawkeye aka raw tags are the future
    http://www.youtube.com/user/freddyl0c0 (more soon)
    edited September 23
    Bullet Stylez

I'm using stinger > drive. Mostly cause I don't wanna do the same UMVC3 combos lol. It sounds safe to say that volcano is the better choice though, it doesn't use up a wallbounce instantly for one.

If anyone has a really solid average level BNB I'll paste it above
  • ShineErectionShineErection This party's gettin' crazy! Let's rock! Joined: Posts: 727

Pretty easy BnB that I've been using that does decent damage and has opportunities to build upon. Pretty sure you can get the dash xx hpxx double jump xx hp after the second volcano, but haven't really tried it
    UMvC3: Dante/Trish/Vergil

GT: xDMCxShine
  • ItsNotJackieChanItsNotJackieChan Joined: Posts: 113
    edited September 24
    I'm doing stinger xx volcano, j.hp dash j.hp doublejump j.hp xx hammer, otg volcano then I go to repeat the loop and they keep flipping out at the second j.hp dash j.hp. They flip out after the dash and during the startup of the second j.hp. if try to input the j.hp earlier it makes the dash not come out. Any tips for this? (Sorry if it's confusing)

Edit: ignore this, I realized I was doing too many hits before the stringer. You can land 2 hits max prior to stinger any more and they flip out. At least it seems that way. I went from airdash j.hp, lp, hp xx stinger to just removing l.p. from the equation
    Post edited by ItsNotJackieChan on
    No way this is going to be landed in a match (a ton of meter and corner jump in) but I think it looks cool.

youtube channel
    edited September 25

You have to jump cancel the volcano into the motion for Crystal into revolver. The timing is tight but buffer the df motion and finish the last frame with a uf hp. You're essentially tiger kneeing the crystal/revolver motions.
    forward LP in the air is... huh...

43m2tzm.png

Yeah.
  • SynikaLSynikaL Melee Prophet Joined: Posts: 1,699
    That... doesn't seem unreasonable?
    "Grandad, this food is destructive!"
    "Boy, what is wrong with you? This food is your culture."
    "Then the culture's destructive."

-The Boondocks
    When your day -1 team happens to be one of the best teams in the game. Probably the best Dante out right now

edited September 28
    Edit: Damn, double post
  • wakalakawakalaka Joined: Posts: 160
    edited September 27
    Something sneaky but obvious for Dantes that use reality stone.

During reality storm if you jump/teleport above someone and use rainstorm it'll summon a cross-up lightning bolt since the rainstorm pushes you to the other side. Nice way to open someone up if they aren't used to it.
  • The Comeback KidThe Comeback Kid Half Baked Joined: Posts: 179
    A few things - most importantly, can we start getting notations for these Dante combos? The umvc3 Dante thread would have the notes followed by the video to see. I think that'd help a lot of people an its definitely help me.

And does Dante have a cross up normal that's consistent? Forward lp works sometimes but it's not consistent.

And finally, yo... All that talk about the game being more casual friendly was bs. Mvci Dante and his moves seem way harder and stricter to pull off than mvc3
    Hey, you, get off my cloud
    You don't know me and you don't know my style
    A few things - most importantly, can we start getting notations for these Dante combos? The umvc3 Dante thread would have the notes followed by the video to see. I think that'd help a lot of people an its definitely help me.

And does Dante have a cross up normal that's consistent? Forward lp works sometimes but it's not consistent.

And finally, yo... All that talk about the game being more casual friendly was bs. Mvci Dante and his moves seem way harder and stricter to pull off than mvc3

If you do Box Dash HP with super jump and delay the HP slightly, it crosses up, however f.LP is the best overall.

And yea, a lot of Dante's shit, while mechanically easier to execute than UMvC3's Dante, ends up being harder because it's almost all reaction based instead of just training mode grind.
  • CapMasterCapMaster OG Pad Player Joined: Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Just wondering, would a Dante/Haggar team have any type of synergy together?
    Reborn ST hustler.
    2009 Gamestop Regional Champion
  • MastaSWMastaSW Joined: Posts: 191

Yeah I agree. After seeing how organized and notated the Captain Marvel combo thread is I'm a bit disappointed we don't have this one somewhat similar. I wanna know the optimized BnB I should be practicing with notations. I feel like any BnB that's into the 6k+ range is good enough for me
    It's MAHVEL again baby!!! - Currently finding a Main
    PSN - SNCK916
    6k meterless of a stupid easy bnb:

Is there anything that we have that causes decent blockstun? I'm trying to come up with something to use when we can't tag still something like

tag dante -> do whatever causes blockstun -> devil trigger -> whatever into tag back partner (jetstream, thunderbolt or something.)

Sadly crystal doesn't work like in mvc3 where if you cancel the first crystal into DT you are +a ton on block since the whole thing comes out anyway.
    youtube channel
    Is there anything that we have that causes decent blockstun? I'm trying to come up with something to use when we can't tag still something like

tag dante -> do whatever causes blockstun -> devil trigger -> whatever into tag back partner (jetstream, thunderbolt or something.)

Sadly crystal doesn't work like in mvc3 where if you cancel the first crystal into DT you are +a ton on block since the whole thing comes out anyway.

The way pushblocking works in this game makes true blockstrings really hard.

Maybe:

Tag Dante > c.LK, s.HP, Jet Stream > Crazy Dance, c.LK should still work to buy some time for tagging.

Maybe Stinger > Million Stabs into Jet Stream cancelled really fast keeps them in blockstun?
  • RykendawgRykendawg Joined: Posts: 382
    GT: IllusionGodfist
    PSN: TheAzureFlash
    Fighter ID: BlueStar

edited September 30

The way pushblocking works in this game makes true blockstrings really hard.

Maybe:

Tag Dante > c.LK, s.HP, Jet Stream > Crazy Dance, c.LK should still work to buy some time for tagging.

Maybe Stinger > Million Stabs into Jet Stream cancelled really fast keeps them in blockstun?

Maybe, I'll try with this thank you.

So far the best i've got is stinger into devil trigger, is at least + on block, even on pushblock it should be possible to go for s.HP > fly > thunderbolt > tag, it is not even close to a true blockstring but It's a start.
    Post edited by alejandrosh on
    youtube channel
  • SaitsuSaitsu When a Kid, Becomes a Legend Joined: Posts: 35,114

You have to jump cancel the volcano into the motion for Crystal into revolver. The timing is tight but buffer the df motion and finish the last frame with a uf hp. You're essentially tiger kneeing the crystal/revolver motions.

The timing actually isn't that tight if you know WHERE the timing is, that's what's most important. The best way to do it along with the TK motion is to wait a half a second. See that they're airborne, THEN input the entire TK motion. Buffering it early pretty much ensures Beehive.

Basically FEEL the Volcano hit. You see and feel it, input the TK QCF+HP and you're golden.
    PSN: Saitsuofleaves SF5 Tag: Saitsu  Baby Steps to Giant Strides
    FC: 0490-4604-8179 
    Street Fighter 5: Vega
    Still working on a reliable non-tag blockstring:

I'm almost positive that this isn't a true blockstring, just some odd behavior of the CPU + proximity guard but it does bizarrely enough show as Dante still being in blockstun even through pushblocking.

c.LK, s.HP, Jet Stream, Crazy Dance is a true blockstring, but you lose a large amount of c.LK's effective range and while c.LK into Jet Stream works it's kinda eh. Can't really hitconfirm properly outside corner.
  • MarkColtonMarkColton Zero Income Joined: Posts: 42
    So dante has no more stinger bold cancel into special anymore?
    SSFIV Main- Chun Li,Ryu
    [URL