MVCI Thor thread - GO MJOLNIR!

UnsafeUnsafe Joined: Posts: 62
So this character is a lot of damn fun.

Adding more stuff later.

You can Kara his command sweep (df. HP) into his command throw increase range.

Comments

• double Fdouble F Joined: Posts: 667
    He's definitely way faster now, but it seems like a no-go on flight combos still.

Right now I'm just trying to sort out his best combo paths. There's a bunch of ways to keep them in the air while Thor goes up & down. Mighty spark is pry the easiest. But you can also just go all heavies... SJ H, down+H, H, land, jump H, dash H, etc.

He's also the only character I know of so far who can start combos off regular throws.
  • UnsafeUnsafe Joined: Posts: 62
    Yeah air mighty spark is definitely the best for consistency/beginners as far as combos go.

I assume you mean HP? HK will spike em.

I totally missed mvc3 so the HSD is strange to deal with till you figure out things that get around it.

His command sweep is really interesting in that it gives him a high damage low combo starter.

Flight might still be useful what with all the Dormamu, rocket racoom ground obstacles of doom that seem to be popular right now.
  • double Fdouble F Joined: Posts: 667
    ha, so i guess it's just you and me in this lonely sub..

yeah Flight is definitely still good for getting away. He can plink dash all over the place in flight.

one thing that might hold him back (similar to UMVC3) is the speed on his normals, and lack of mashable jab.

gonna do some testing tonight on which moves can still plow through projectiles, like Mighty Strike. he's got a lot of stuff i haven't found an exact use for yet like Mighty Smash, Mighty Blow.

I'll find a way to make him work though. I'm committed ever since I unlocked Haggar's color 4 (tan skin, white pants, blonde hair) which matches Thor's alt, so now I have a Hot Boiz team.
  • sadboysadboy Joined: Posts: 47
    edited September 20
    (catches and slowly shatters the Mjolnir) (cues Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song")
    Air qcf.HK can be used to start a combo on grounded opponent.

But far more useful is it can be used in an air combo to force low/throw reset on the ground. Really good nice!

I'm gonna try and post some easy BnBs that I was using. All of them do 4.5 to 5K without meter. 6 to 6.5K with meter which I think is enough for starters.

Finished all the combo trials, some really cool starter ideas they showed off, especially the d,d,HP -tag-> into fireball carry!

I wish I knew if Thor has any armor or invincibility in any of his moves, I assume his hyper command throw prolly is or is really god damn fast.
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 778
    Unsafe wrote: »
    Air qcf.HK can be used to start a combo on grounded opponent.

But far more useful is it can be used in an air combo to force low/throw reset on the ground. Really good nice!

I'm gonna try and post some easy BnBs that I was using. All of them do 4.5 to 5K without meter. 6 to 6.5K with meter which I think is enough for starters.

Finished all the combo trials, some really cool starter ideas they showed off, especially the d,d,HP -tag-> into fireball carry!

I wish I knew if Thor has any armor or invincibility in any of his moves, I assume his hyper command throw prolly is or is really god damn fast.

Please post BnBs as soon as possible -- I'd really like to know what to do with this char!
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009

• EbbsEbbs StoicStare....... Joined: Posts: 274
    I think overall his hk mighty strike is mostly there for his resets. Like...I think most of what people will post will be some combo that leads to that. Who knows
    SFA3- Guy, R.Mika SSFIV:AE - Guy, Fuerte
    MvC2- Clockw0rk MvC3-Storm/Thor/Sent Strider/Thor/Doom
    Tekken- Eddy/Raven/Bruce/Christie
  • ScykohScykoh Joined: Posts: 116
    Here are a couple bnbs I've found that are relatively easy and quite damaging (it also doesn't use any wall bounce, ground bounce or stone as it meter neutral)

You can start with whatever ground string into launch (I use j.HP -> c.LK, s.HP, Launch but you can use whatever. You'll need to tweak the combo if you use a really long ground streak, which I'll explain)

So, the combo is j.HP, c.LK, s.HP, Launch, j.HP x Divine Drop x Mighty Blow LK, j.LK x j.HP x Mighty Blow LK, j.LK x Mighty Spark LP, Land -> Relaunch, j.HP x Divine Drop x Mighty Spark LP x Mighty Tornado.

Damage scaling is weird, I think it's based on character stamina or something. So, on Iron Man for example this combo does 6.6k, but on Hulk it does 6.7k. It doesn't work on Rocket Racoon. I haven't tested other characters, but it probably works on most or all medium / large characters. Works mid screen or in corner.

If you have an extended ground sequence before the first launch, or if you start the combo with like a Reality Stone Surge, etc. you'll want to cut "j.LK x j.HP x Mighty Blow LK" from the combo or else it'll drop. So, after the first Mighty Blow, just go directly into j.LK x Mighty Spark LP then land into a relaunch.

If you're in the corner and want to spend 2 meter, you can do an even easier combo. Just do whatever into a launch, j.HP x Divine Drop x Mighty Blow LK x Mighty Tornado... then you can just do a second Mighty Tornado while they fall (the timing is very easy). This does about 7.3k damage on Hulk.

These combos are fairly easy and high damage, but they don't leave the opponent in a good place for a follow up so I'd consider them combos to use for finishers.
  • FatherGreenFatherGreen Joined: Posts: 4

Most damage I can squeeze out of thor/rr atm. Any ideas?
    edited September 21
    @FatherGreen

That's kind of the same idea I had with Thor/Ryu just replace with donkey kick + shinku.

This game tries REALLY hard to keep you from breaking 7K with 1 meter.

@Scykoh

Nice work on the the BnB!

At mid screen after launch I like to do j.HP, airdash j. HP x LP Mighty Spark, j.HP x LP Might Spark, j.HP->j.HK, dash LK->c.HP, j.LP->j.LK->LP Mighty Spark->Mighty Tornado. I think yours does more damage but, this one works on everyone.

If I get them in the corner or carry instead of j.HP-j.HK, into LK, Launcher, I cancel j.HK into HK mighty strike. It will reset them on the ground into forced wake up. You can do mighty hurricane (command throw) or c.LK/df.HP into combo again.

After LK command throw in the corner I like to do df.HP,HP,HK,c.HP->j.HP,j.HK. airdash down or downforward and go into techroll chase.

Later on we can compile all of these combos in another thread.

I think stones right now, Space stone is super attractive but, I kind of like Reality and Time too. I want see if you can time a Time Surge on reaction to certain projectiles to punish people with a throw or combo.
    Post edited by Unsafe on
    Speaking of Time Stone, there's something really odd -- after a Mighty Strike LK in the air during the infinity storm if you start spamming j.HP Thor doesn't lose height or get pushed back so you can mash out like a dozen j.HP's.
    I need to find better tag out options for Thor to help the other person's incoming. Anyway, can you combo off of heavy command throw or do you just do super?
    Ebbs wrote: »
    I need to find better tag out options for Thor to help the other person's incoming. Anyway, can you combo off of heavy command throw or do you just do super?

You can combo off of it, but you have such little hit stun to work with that its hard to add much. You can for example dash forward, do a launcher, j.HP x Mighty Spark LP x Super which adds ~300 damage.
    Royal Flush is still reppin for Thor
    edited September 22
    An update to the BnB I posted earlier, tweaking the start and the beginning a bit.

j.HP x s.LK x s.HP x s.HK x Spinning Thunder (1 hit) x c.HP -> j.HP x Divine Drop x Mighty Blow LP, j.LK x j.HP x Mighty Blow LP, j.LK x Mighty Spark LP -> Land, Jump, j.HP x j.HK, Land, c.HP, j.HP x Mighty Spark LP x Mighty Tornado.

Tweaked the starting string to optimize the allowed hitstun and optimized the ending a bit the best I can find so far. This does 6795 (against Iron Man, 6890 on Hulk... still no clue why the damage is different) 1 meter solo, almost 200 damage better than the previous... with that said, such an extended ground series is probably a bit unrealistic in a match. The ending tweaks still add about 70 damage. Keep in mind with this version, midscreen you'll have to dash before the final relaunch.

If you guys can find anything better solo 1 meter, let me know!
  • OreoOreo ACWxOreo - PSN Joined: Posts: 40
    Probably too early to hate but with the removal of his beam his nuetral seems literally only mighty strike spam.
    It's part of why I like using the Reality Gem, to help make up for the loss of a standard projectile
    Nobody said on this forum yet. But if you end a combo w/ h.mighty strike, it spikes them to the grown with neutral tech. Ex. Of how it can be used:
    Nobody said on this forum yet. But if you end a combo w/ h.mighty strike, it spikes them to the grown with neutral tech.
    Shout out to ninjaman yt
  • DriftingsortDriftingsort Tight Lines Joined: Posts: 265
    Soul gem is working really well for me. I'm playing Team Keits (Thor/Dante...though I had it in mind for a long time). What teams are you guys playing? I feel Thor is kinda limited in synergy as he really benefits from lock down hypers like million dollars but few give him that ability. That being said he is a good characters in this game...it would be nice to see another tournament player pick him up.
    Devour!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,905
    THOR'S 6+HP (SPINNY HAMMER) DEFLECTS PROJECTILES, INCLUDING REALITY STONE (NOT BEAMS, TEST FOR BULLETS PLZ)

IT IS MIGHTY

AND SHOCKING
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • Evil CanadianEvil Canadian T.Hawk is a good guy Joined: Posts: 8,303
    THOR'S 6+HP (SPINNY HAMMER) DEFLECTS PROJECTILES, INCLUDING REALITY STONE (NOT BEAMS, TEST FOR BULLETS PLZ)

IT IS MIGHTY

AND SHOCKING

yep it can reflect everything that can be reflected, just tried.
    edited October 1
    Power Stone auto-corrects and I may have some new use for the air-dash canceling conceps in my head for Odinson. J.lk seems to be the friendliest for AD cancels on a standing opponent with its low hitbox profile.

Gonna see what I can do with this. And yeah that first time was a true combo.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • RJCPopsGhostlyRJCPopsGhostly Joined: Posts: 3
    Very impressive stuff Kalyx, I will definitely start looking at power stone for my Thornos team! (Thor/Thanos).
  • ScarzFXScarzFX Joined: Posts: 29
    Just incase people dont know, Thor has super armor on the startup of his HP mighty blow

Gamertag: TheScarzEffect
  • ThorGrimmThorGrimm Joined: Posts: 41
    Gotta pop in here with some Thor love. He's my favorite fighter, so looking forward to rep'ing with you cats to show what he can do! Cheers!
    "Unyielding Resolve has no Conqueror"
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
    Do his grab super more. Everyone.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • OreoOreo ACWxOreo - PSN Joined: Posts: 40
    Do his grab super more. Everyone.

Afaik you don't get anything off of it but it's great for punishing loose strings & good damage on its own. Nice to cancel into from time or space gem with the latter being the best gem on Thor imo or bait with mighty speech as in mvc3
    edited October 6
    The damage itself is what we get out of it. Plenty ways to land it after finishing juggles with downward mighty strike.

I've been hooked on Power Stone for Thor/Dante.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • KiyaaKingKiyaaKing Joined: Posts: 1,037
    I'm having a hilariously hard time finding a consistent combo into Thor's lvl 3. The hitbox is so inconvenient imo. Mighty blow is the only move I've been able to confirm into it, and even then it's very position dependent. Anything simple I'm missing here?
    My Characters/Teams:
    UMvC3 - Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante, Zero/Dante/Strider, Doom/Dormammu/Dante
    SSF4 - Juri, Yun, El Fuerte
    Injustice - Flash, Zod, Lex Luthor
    Skullgirls - Cerebella/Squigly, Parasoul/Double
    GGXXAC+R - Slayer, Baiken

3DS FC: 5043-2719-7330
    I wake up ultra that shit. I don't care.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • VyomeshVyomesh Joined: Posts: 590
    I wake up ultra that shit. I don't care.

lol. Reminds me of just doing wake up Ultra with my man Hugo in SF4. Oh you went for a meaty? Tough shit, let's count to 3 in German.
  • X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,774
    When you are sure you are going to land the grab super, tag in immediately
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    swxrdz.deviantart.com
    Kinda wanna see people's match footage to see your neutrals.

Anyway......

Trying to deal with someone WAAAAY outta my league, lol
  • DriftingsortDriftingsort Tight Lines Joined: Posts: 265
    Nice Ebbs.
    A couple of notes.. Try to use c.lk more than c.lp if possible. The system scales harder with c.lp
    Off Hammer throw and Charged Strike confirms you should probably use c.HP to extend combo vs c.lp/c.lk but whatever works for you.
    I was watching Abegen vs Champ (link) and he is box dashing HP cancel Spark and I think this is definitely a solid strategy. I use it but not as often as I should.
    One thing I'm noticing more with the higher level players is just more switching when you can. It's the main mechanic of the game. I'm so stuck in old UMVC3 ways of fighting it out with Thor that I lose him more than I should. More tagging keeps the neutral moving.

Anyways, what are you guys using for stones?
    I'm using Soul but not sure it's Thor's best though it has definitely saved my ass a couple of times. Space plays we will Thor obviously, Reality is good for neutral..I might consider Time if I could find it useful.
    Thor is the only character I'm interested in currently until Sigma comes out and then I'll be rocking that team for...a while.
    Devour!
    Ebbs wrote: »
    Kinda wanna see people's match footage to see your neutrals.

-snip-
    Nice matches. I see you usually for a reset situation after a command grab. Is that the best option? I've been labbing out some combos but nothing really worth spending meter on.

Anyways, what are you guys using for stones?
    I'm using Soul but not sure it's Thor's best though it has definitely saved my ass a couple of times. Space plays we will Thor obviously, Reality is good for neutral..I might consider Time if I could find it useful.
    Thor is the only character I'm interested in currently until Sigma comes out and then I'll be rocking that team for...a while.

I'm now sort of switching between teams of Spidey/Thor/Ghost Rider. Can't shake the need to learn 3 chars. Damn you MvC3. lol.
    But I find Flaming Skull man/Mjolnir Man to work well together. Using the reality stone since it's the only one I have bothered playing around with at the moment. Gives Thor a nice projectile to work with since he lost his beam. Might fuck around with Space Stone. But I don't think it goes well with the Inflammatory Biker.
    edited October 10
    Fresh off the presses. Ranked set.

I usually post my matches in the main thread but being a Thor player I should probably share more here. Get and give tips. For Asgard!

Also: @Drift, Power Stone all day.
    Post edited by Kalyx triaD on

YouTube.com/Kalyx
    @Driftingsort Gotta unprogram muscle memory

@Vyomesh Yeah, the damage scaling and limited options are off the throw.

@Kalyx triaD Good stuff man. Team Keits to the rescue, lol.

I was browsing for other Thor players and their matches yesterday. I'll post them some time soon

• CavemanCaveman Mashing on throw Joined: Posts: 489
    Now that you brought it up what is everyone doing after the command grab? Im surprised they messed up the hitstun scaling after them. I have been messing with this lately:

lp grab, dash lk,hp,hk,c.hp, sj.hk, addf j.lk, lp spark, j.hp, lp spark, j.hk, charged hk strike, super or uncharged strike for the mixup.

The charged strike only hits when in the corner but the normal strike works if you airdash forward after j.hk. If I mess up my timing and accidently otg them after the grab I end with j.hp, spark, super or just mixup after the j.hk knockdown.

Caveman wrote: »
    Now that you brought it up what is everyone doing after the command grab? Im surprised they messed up the hitstun scaling after them. I have been messing with this lately:

With Ghost Rider in the back: lp grab, qcf+HK/TAG(at the same time) QCB+LP. HP, HP, QCB+LK(Chain whip move with LP ender to send them to the wall)/TAG, Dash with Thor, J.HP QCF HK.
    The chain whip move takes long enough that you can TAG Thor back in within the combo. After the QCF HK at the end you are free to mix up with another command grab, a low, or the command grab super. Depending on when you hit the opponent with the J.HP you will land in front or behind them. I'll need more labtime to figure out when or how this happens. But it's pretty dirty.