You seen Coming to America? What if that guy was also Batman? - Black Panther General Discussion

chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,242
Discuss the King of Wakanda here.
celticthrowdown.com
PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
«13

Comments

  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,560
    X23 function incoming
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    Korbidon wrote: »
    X23 function incoming

    Obv he is gonna be a speedy Sabretooth
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

    I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,931
    Syke1 wrote: »
    Korbidon wrote: »
    X23 function incoming

    Obv he is gonna be a speedy Sabretooth

    I hope so
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • The Comeback KidThe Comeback Kid Half Baked Joined: Posts: 161
    Black dudes are stoked on this character. As an average white guy, I am too. Mobility and rush down are gonna be tight.
    Hey, you, get off my cloud
    You don't know me and you don't know my style
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,931
    Black dudes are stoked on this character. As an average white guy, I am too. Mobility and rush down are gonna be tight.

    Melanin too strong
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    Likely getting a new Black Panther movie trailer next week for NY ComicCon.

    If Capcom was smart, we should be getting some MVCI footage along with it.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • VersatileBJN007VersatileBJN007 Joined: Posts: 1,143
    Sucks waiting for the character you know you're going to main lol.
    PSN: BV_ZeroCool
    Fighter ID: RNS_ZeroCool

    President: Akuma
    Vice President: Chun Li
    Secretary of State: Unsure
    Campaign Manager: Whichever new character I like most
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • GhostTearGhostTear Vanessa for MVCI! Joined: Posts: 2,438
    edited October 4
    Black Panthers Alternate Costume
    04_mvci09.jpg

    Day one main.
  • MastaSWMastaSW Joined: Posts: 183
    He's here!!! Let's discuss that trailer!!!
    It's MAHVEL again baby!!! - Currently finding a Main
    PSN - SNCK916
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    edited October 20
    I love how agile he is and his air game is gonna be crazy however capcom could have done so much more with him
    5246562-animation+393.gif
    4320711-tchalla6.jpg
    23_12.jpg
    fantasticfour608e+back+panther+power+from+the+dead.jpg
    tigergod%252C%2Bult2%2B100.JPG
    tigergod%252C%2Bult2%2B100%2B3.JPG

    It's like they watched captain america: civil war and called it a day
    Post edited by Nemoking on
  • ClutchComboClutchCombo ClutchEXE Joined: Posts: 89
    Do people really see X23/Logan in BP? I can see a little Sabertooth but not that much he doesn't really have the same functions, but maybe its too early to tell
    SF V(Meh), MvCI and BB. Excited to try out DBFZ

    Follow me on twitter. https://twitter.com/ClutchEXE
    PsN: ClutchCombo
    Youtube.com/coasttoclutch
    twitch.tv/ClutchEXE
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    @Nemoking I agree. It would've been dope to have BP with assist specials like Ultron, where the Dora Milaje attack with vibranium spears and energy guns.

    dora_milaje-doom.jpg

    Im just glad we got the movie to make up for it.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Not loving his voice acting but I'm hoping he's the character I need.
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    If Capcom designed characters based on everything they did in comics a lot of them would play very different. This is a fighting game where they have to fit archetypes, BP was gonna be rushdown by virtue of his most obvious traits.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    If Capcom designed characters based on everything they did in comics a lot of them would play very different. This is a fighting game where they have to fit archetypes, BP was gonna be rushdown by virtue of his most obvious traits.

    Yeah. You're right tbh. Still would have liked to have seen projectile daggers at least since he uses those more than he's ever used his claws in the comics. I hope he's a fun and viable character to use tho
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    If Capcom designed characters based on everything they did in comics a lot of them would play very different. This is a fighting game where they have to fit archetypes, BP was gonna be rushdown by virtue of his most obvious traits.

    So Dante can have all his assortment of tools, but Black Panther can't?

    I like to believe that Capcom houses some creative people. You can create a rushdown-based character, and still have BP perform his most signature abilities from the comics/movies/cartoons. How about reinvent the rushdown archetype, instead of tracing it.

    Black Panther is Marvel's Batman. I'd be so disappointed if Netherrealm said "Batman has to fit a strict brawler-archetype because it's a fighting game, so he only has close-quarters cape rekkas & a punch kick combo supermove. Batarangs and Grapple would be OP ".
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • KorbidonKorbidon Who can stand against such abominations? Joined: Posts: 4,560
    Not every character can be Dante for pretty obvious reasons, cmon now.
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    I bought the game for panther. If capcom didn't care enough to make his pure brawling a viable playstyle or couldn't care enough to research what kind of tools he has in the comics and cartoons, I'll just trade in my copy.
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    edited October 9
    Korbidon wrote: »
    Not every character can be Dante for pretty obvious reasons, cmon now.

    That's not what I said.

    Dante is faithful to his character, Black Panther deserves the same treatment. That's what I said.

    Dante isn't limited to sword slashes, Strider isnt limited to sword slashes, Zero isnt limited to sword slashes, Gamora isnt limited to sword slashes, Ironman isnt limited to Unibeams, Arthur isn't limited to lances, Chris isnt limited to his pistol, Haggar isnt limited to wrestling moves, i can go on & on really. BP should've gotten that same respect.
    Post edited by itsOneO on
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Dante retains his DMC3 moves partly as a gimmick in and of itself, almost like 'dare' and internal homage to their own product. Zero is similarly made with a kit that adheres to many abilities.

    But as others said here we can't do that with every character. And BP is not commonly known for all those abilities. This is what I call the 'Issue X' fallacy that makes versus debates online so dumb:

    Most people will talk about what a character is COMMONLY known to do. So if we're talking Superman we're talking strength, flight, laser eyes, super breath (his offensive stuff, telescopic and xray can be ignorer). I would bet Capcom would be thrilled translating these mainstream known abilities.

    But then comes a smart-ass who will reference 'Issue X', where Superman learned how to hypnotize people because of his kryptonian irises. That is, canonically, true. But it is also some silly thing a writer on that run pulled out of his ass for that plot. So when talking Supes vs Goku, smartass will bring up an Issue X ability that will be responded with some oscure thing Goku did in a manga 30yrs ago and convo ends.

    When most people think BP, they're almost certainly thinking a badass tribal warrior of his people. That would inform his playstyle because Capcom's thinking the same thing. They're not gonna Issue X BP and have his jet, mech, Wakandan tech, personal bodyguards, and african gods pop in for is kit.

    Wolverine is an expert of many firearms and melee weapons - NOBODY was Issue X'ing him in 20yrs of Marvel Vs games.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    @Kalyx triaD I simply disagree.

    BP's #1 signature is his claws, but that's extremely surface of the character, and when people say that's all he has, they're speaking from a place of ignorance.

    Black Panther's Vibranium suit, his energy weapons, the Panther Jet and the Dora Milaje, aren't some one-off/obscure/'Issue X' that happened one time in a comicbook. They're prevalent aspects of BP that mainstream audiences will have strong knowledge of very soon, since all of these things are in his upcoming movie; and his movie is why Black Panther is in MVCI after all. So why not showcase cool elements of the movie in the game?

    And speaking of Wolverine, you're going to extremes with the firearms & melee weapons to try to prove your point. The true secondary ability for Logan is Healing Factor. Capcom should've kept Healing Factor in the VS games. He's more than claws also.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Does BP dig into his bag of tricks as often as Superman uses his various abilities?

    I ask this to everyone. Because we all know the answer to this. And movie BP will not do much more than punch, kick, slash, and flip about. Just as he does in the game. Just as people know him for.

    And the Wolverine example was apt; he does know weapons and he's still known for claw attacks. Nobody wants to see Logan use a machine gun for half a movie. Cap is a soldier, could technically play exactly like Chris and Gamora. But no; Captain America uses a shield. His gameplay will be shield attacks and nod to his agility.

    You can disagree but everything about how these characters have been built so far falls in line. If I was tasked with designing a character's kit, which I did for fun years ago (MvC3), I'd stick close to the most known version of the character abilities to build an archetype.

    BP kicks and scratches things. I know he does more, I'd add daggers myself, but he primarily kicks and scratches things.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    @Kalyx triaD

    Black Panther is more comparable to Batman than Superman. They're both elite martial artists and master tacticians.
    And movie BP will not do much more than punch, kick, slash, and flip about. Just as he does in the game. Just as people know him for.

    Oh you have no idea :D :D :D

    Capcom could've done more with BP, plain & simple. And it will be more apparent to common folk in the very near future.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    I don't know why you're ignoring that not only did I state that BP does have many resources, but I even mentioned a few. I 'have an idea'.

    My point is why that doesn't matter. And if Marvel's past games are any indication, there will not be an outcry once his movie comes out. There's no precedent for that.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    @Kalyx triaD it doesn't matter to you .

    Actual fans of Black Panther, however, notice these omissions & missed opportunities to his character in the game. Black Panther fans are the ones largely expected to pay $7.99 after all.

    And I'm not saying there will be a big outcry against MVCI when the movie comes out, I'm saying that there will be people, who play fighting games, saying to themselves "I wish BP did that in MVCI because that was damn cool."

    I really don't understand why there's a defense here to make Black Panther less authentic lol. So many characters in MVCI are true to form, doing some of the most outrageous things. But when it comes to BP, there's all these excuses and reasons to be conservative about his playstyle. Meanwhile Frank West is leveling up plungers, shopping cart supers and throwing zombies... & Gamora is wielding two pistols, sword, daggers, & a giant laser gun... Lol
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    edited October 9
    Oh this is an 'actual fans' kind of argument. Let me go get a T'Challa tattoo so my point carries weight.

    I'm not making a case for less authenticity. I'm explaining why things like this happen in this game, and really in any licensed game about any comic character. Name a character and I will tell you what they are missing from Issue X. None of them are actually 'true to form', even Dante with all those moves is still a shell of his DMC3 self.

    Listen, my top guy is Thor. I could write an essay about what he should be able to do in this game. And being that he's also royalty, I could also start throwing out crazy assists with Valkyrie and whatever. But in MvCi - he's a meathead with some hilarious armored attacks. Because that's the archetype; heavy hitter. Thor is more than a guy who hits things with his hammer - but as far as most people are concerned he's literally a guy who hits things with his hammer. So when Capcom gets their shot to adapt him, they're not gonna flip thru Issue X for that one time he curved the hammer in a way that would make for a tricky projectile. No. He big and hits things really really hard.

    I'm not making excuses, BP is not my kid, creation, or anything. I just had this conversation before about other comic games with people and I always end up saying the same thing about mainstream perceptions and character design.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    Does BP dig into his bag of tricks as often as Superman uses his various abilities?

    I ask this to everyone. Because we all know the answer to this. And movie BP will not do much more than punch, kick, slash, and flip about. Just as he does in the game. Just as people know him for.

    And the Wolverine example was apt; he does know weapons and he's still known for claw attacks. Nobody wants to see Logan use a machine gun for half a movie. Cap is a soldier, could technically play exactly like Chris and Gamora. But no; Captain America uses a shield. His gameplay will be shield attacks and nod to his agility.

    You can disagree but everything about how these characters have been built so far falls in line. If I was tasked with designing a character's kit, which I did for fun years ago (MvC3), I'd stick close to the most known version of the character abilities to build an archetype.

    BP kicks and scratches things. I know he does more, I'd add daggers myself, but he primarily kicks and scratches things.

    Dude. Black panther has mastered all forms of armed and unarmed combat. He only uses his claw to cut things and kill. When he's not kicking and punching his go to weapons are leathal/non lethal intangible energy daggers that can be thrown as projectiles. He's also a tech expert and has some mystical powers.

    I don't know why you're arguing that he should only be a claw guy.
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Because that's the first thing people will think; martial arts claw guy.

    I'm done. I'm not in the habit of repeating myself.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    @Kalyx triaD

    Imagine your top guy, Thor, in MVC, but he only had Hammer attacks. No lightning attacks. Just Hammer attacks, he gets to throw his hammer, and possibly flight...that's what they did to Black Panther in this game. Thor's lightning isn't an "Issue X", his lightning powers isn't a one-time thing, it's integral to his character and happens ALOT in all other media. The same can be said about Black Panther's special suit/Vibranium & Wakanda tech.

    23516f6f8006a3445198342b9bcbd02ed882f962.gif

    tenor.gif

    ea60b7cd4febbd953586288713de2719d4a74fc5_hq.gif

    Xk0lFOx.gif

    tumblr_orb9z0kUuz1w36i71o1_500.gif


    And the reason why things like this happen to licensed characters in videogames is because of subpar research & development. I can say with great confidence that Black Panther is one of the most undersold characters in MVCI. He's a Wolverine/X23 replacement and nothing more in MVCI, which shouldn't be the case.

    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    For neutering the character, those wall clings and rekkas better be godly
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Thor's the god of thunder, he's doing lightning stuff.

    BP is an african ninja dressed like a cat. He kicks and scratches. Hyper armored rekkas would be interesting, and I already said he should have the daggers.

    But I already explained myself.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    edited October 9
    @Kalyx triaD "Ninja" :lol: :lol: :lol:
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • NemokingNemoking Joined: Posts: 16
    Someone made a "fix" mega man x thread and X has busters coming out his ass. Ungratefuls
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 453
    edited October 9
    "B-B-but he just scratches. Capcom always gets it right" :lol:



    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    edited October 10
    Why are you strawmanning my argument? Why are you even this invested in an 'explanation'. I didn't even give you my opinion yet. Like... what are you on right now? Smiley faces and shit. Wow.

    "B b but"? Do you think I've defended anything here? For what? I'll pull an oldschool discourse approach:

    YOU explain to ME what my argument is. This is a good way to highlight contentions and misunderstandings. Because you're clearly triggered by something when all I did was explain why things happened the way they did.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 2,943
    Nemoking wrote: »
    Someone made a "fix" mega man x thread and X has busters coming out his ass. Ungratefuls

    He does some glaring issues with his kit. He 'double up' gimmick is nice but bizarrely doesn't link to his main buster. And he really should keep his charge from air to ground.

    The difference is they're probably making a gameplay case, whereas this thread went on about why BP doesn't have his jet.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

    YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • MastaSWMastaSW Joined: Posts: 183
    edited October 10
    You guys still arguing? Wake me when someone wants to chat about what we see he can do so far in-game. Speculation, hype, possibilities
    It's MAHVEL again baby!!! - Currently finding a Main
    PSN - SNCK916
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.