The Current State of the World thread

Comments

• Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    We've been aggressive with North Korea for decades. DECADES. None of it has bore fruit.

Even Obama's first six years or so were aggressive against NK, and nothing happened. They see the entire thing different than the US does: if we give in to demands, we have nothing to defend ourselves from the US's aggression. I mean, if I were the leader I would definitely be saying the same shit. So at the end of his tenure, Obama wanted to try a different approach: removing sanctions to allow NK to have an economy and to scale back our presence there.

The first thing Trump did with NK when he got in office was to stop it. So I'm not surprised that Kim is ramping up his production of an intercontinental ballistic missile. It's due to our country's constant threats of invading and wiping him out.

And honestly, it's a stupid way to go about it. Trump wants to nuke them into hell, an impoverished dictatorship where a few hundred people over the lives of 25 million civilians. And he's also putting South Korea and Japan at great risk. Nak-yeon is telling Trump to shut the fuck up and he's not listening. Abe put his fucking foot in his mouth, too, and the Japanese want to throw him out of office for even considering the idea of going to war with North Korea. In this whole mess, it's Putin, surprisingly, who sees the futility in the aggression. No matter what Trump or his advisers say, any fight has too high of a possibility that millions of civilians will end up dead.

Of course, a few Americans don't seem to care because they aren't American lives at stake so fuck 'em. And we wonder why the world hates us.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,993
    There's no real solution here

If the US stays silent - North Korea will keep developing missles until their technology allows to fire a nuke with enough range to hit America on the West Coast
    If the US imposes sanctions - that's an act of aggression
    If the US deploys military surrounding NK - that's an act of aggresion and a basically direct threat
    If the US gives in and, say, resumes sending supplies like they did not too long ago (or do they still?) - sure, that calms NK down a bit, but it's not stopping their weaponry development either, again letting them to further test and evolve the nukes

Other countries aren't getting involved with this shit, virtually everybody has better things to do than to mess around with a basically nuclear country

South Korea and North Korea are also probably ain't gonna become buddies ever, else there wouldn't be a reason for their split and they would unite into one big nation a long time ago

China is NK's ally and therefore probably will defend its interests, although nobody knows what their course of action would be should a war occur, be it against Soutk Korea or the US or [country name]

So you either wait it out until a nuclear strike DOES occur one day and a war between the two breaks out either way (which can very well develop into a world war if China gets involved etc), or you invade the country, remove the totalitarian regime altogether, and give the North Korean people a chance at a better life than under oppression of Kim's iron fist
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,165
    Shin_Jr wrote: »
    didn't they already call the bluff of " Act of War " when James Franco and Seth Rogen made that movie

Eh if we as the united states willingly give them trump. Would that smooth things over?

All of a sudden n korea becomes open
    There is a way out of this, just like we did with Iran: ease sanctions to allow them to live peacefully so long as they follow rules.

We can also add in a stipulation saying that we can withdraw troops from the DMZ if they do the same. This is EXACTLY what South Korea wants, but Trump's bullshit is preventing that from happening.

Despite what the president and his cabinet members say, Iran was being faithful to the Iran deal. They stopped pursuing nuclear weapons, we unfroze their assets, then we eased some sanctions and they complied with the deal. Trump was the one who came up like a wrecking ball and undid that because Obama made that deal. It's bullshit and is already causing us headaches we don't need.

The only way to stop this is to have Congress act. They need to remind Trump that he doesn't have the power to deploy the army, they do.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,511
    Assassinating Kim Jong Un would probably be the best of all possible worlds although without knowing what the power structure looks like over there, it's possible that in the wake of that, you'd have a bunch of people jockeying for power. Still, infighting might be better for the world at large than a guy who's basically the NK version of Trump doing what he's been doing.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
    First, you have to get someone in there to do it. Good luck with that in a country that pretty much doesn't allow anyone to enter it let alone get close to their leader.

Second, This has been planned out but wouldn't really work in our favor. You'd think there'd be a power vacuum with others jockeying for power but more likely is that there's already a plan for this and it involves firing everything they can at Seoul and Tokyo.

Third, we've done this many times over. It's never once worked out well for us in the end. From South America to the Middle East, we've propped up several leaders who later on told us to fuck off and did their own shit that in some instances ended up compromising America even more.

A good look into some options is this article. It's long but worth the read.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,409
    DoctaMario wrote: »
    Assassinating Kim Jong Un would probably be the best of all possible worlds although without knowing what the power structure looks like over there, it's possible that in the wake of that, you'd have a bunch of people jockeying for power. Still, infighting might be better for the world at large than a guy who's basically the NK version of Trump doing what he's been doing.

See I thought that might be an idea but it's possible you hit the same problems with North Korea attacking South Korea and Japan as if America had just out and out declared war.

It really is an ugly situation and as much as I'd like the idea of live and let live with easing sanctions and that working, I can't see North Korea backing off on the missile development, not when they're basically living the whole "[Whoever is in charge] is infallible" thing, it'd be like admitting a mistake.

Also power structure wise, I remember when Kim Jon Ill died and a lot of people were going on about how Kim Jon Un was going to be so much better because he'd been educated abroad ect. but sure enough he turned out to be more of the same, although his is a fucking nut there's most likely more than just him being a belligerent twat up top.

Not saying war is the answer because I don't have a fucking clue what the answer is, shit looks like it's going to be fucked whichever way you go, it's just a matter of how fucked it is.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,247
    Little Rocket Man
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,993
    Kim's assassination in this time period would be a horrible mistake. Considering the rising tensions between the US and NK, what do you think would their first thought be as to who's to blame for the death of their glorious leader? And what would that result in for the country and the world as whole?

All the fingers would be pointing at America and Trump speficially
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,590
    15k new msgs and you fuccbois still talking about NK like its an actual thing omg.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,055 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck you I just wanted to make a Nuclear Gandhi joke.
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    DukeC wrote: »

:rofl: man, they would hang me before I even got to baggage claim. It might actually become a crime to say "NI!" at women, which would put a certain group of men in dire straits to put it mildly.

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Preppy wrote: »
    and given the inability for life not to be political, reopening to help contain the discussion

I give you a much begrudged 'Marvelous' for giving us our thread back!

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,245
    People are scared that North Korea is nuclear. Meanwhile, I'm relieved that Gandhi isn't around with access to India's nuclear warheads.

I see what you did there.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    DoctaMario wrote: »

I'd love to think that pulling the plug on lil kim would be a good choice, but I remember how well it worked after we killed Saddam. There always seems to be another one waiting. :tdown:

https://www.thelocal.se/20160506/blue-flight-swedish-cops-quitting-in-droves

Poor Sweden. Looks like all those lady cops aren't stepping up to the plate after all. :rofl:

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    Destabilized North Korea would be a massive humanitarian crisis, one of the world's largest we've ever seen. Kim getting assassinated would just end up causing a huge mess, and the last time the US decided to overthrow a dictatorship "for democracy", we got ISIS as a reward. No thanks.
    edited September 27
    Destabilized North Korea would be a massive humanitarian crisis, one of the world's largest we've ever seen. Kim getting assassinated would just end up causing a huge mess, and the last time the US decided to overthrow a dictatorship "for democracy", we got ISIS as a reward. No thanks.

North Korea is already a massive Humanitarian Crisis.
    They country has near zero infrastructure, suffered massive famines, I don't know how NK supports it's military.

Wiping out all government in North Korea could only improve the situation.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/country-chapters/north-korea
    North Korea is a massive humanitarian crisis, but the crisis is its own. Destabilizing North Korea would make it everyone else's problem. I doubt the surrounding countries and the U.S. want to deal with that either.
    edited September 27
    North Korea is a massive humanitarian crisis, but the crisis is its own. Destabilizing North Korea would make it everyone else's problem. I doubt the surrounding countries and the U.S. want to deal with that either.

I get you point, its like using gas to put out a fire
    But if the US ever invades, we need to put in a new head of government.

Kim Jong-un just a figure head anyways for the NK Military.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
    China won't have it. Jinping has made it clear he won't back an American invasion because he doesn't want American troops on his border.

China won't have it. Jinping has made it clear he won't back an American invasion because he doesn't want American troops on his border.

But China is also getting tired of their little retarded brother
    I'm pretty sure you'd rather deal with that than your high school bully suddenly living in the room next to you.
    I'm pretty sure you'd rather deal with that than your high school bully suddenly living in the room next to you.
    Shit, dude be begging for forgiveness.

Oh Wait that already happened.

Leader of ISIL/ISIS mentions North Korea. Would an ISIL/ISIS and North Korea alliance be powerful???

The NFL is already stopping the knee thing? :rofl: I figured it would at least go further than one week, but I was wrong.

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News!

Now they're doing it in vegas huh? Man don't let the shooter's name be anything Arabic..............

-Starhammer-

AV by Rick Ross.
    Sounds like the guy was a white dude. Still a terrorist, but no one on your favorite news channel will call him that.

Over/under on them saying he had a "mental illness"? I give it three days until they say it.
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 2
    So... I wonder how long 'til some of the online "WOKE" types tries to start a trend of saying "...what about black americans though? fuck Vegas."? It's a safe bet that will start in a few days. I'm sure Dr. Watkins' channel specifically will go down that road in 2 or 3 days....then they start digging into "the racist history of Las Vegas", implying that well they had it coming.
    Sounds like the guy was a white dude. Still a terrorist, but no one on your favorite news channel will call him that.

Over/under on them saying he had a "mental illness"? I give it three days until they say it.

I was right on one point.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,133
    edited October 2

I was right on one point.

I'm all for anyone to be labeled as terrorist and not just brown ppl but what exactly makes you think this guy fits the definition of a terrorist.

Terror isn't just mass murder FYI. The same way mass murder doesn't mean insta terrorist act. A vandalic act on a patriotic monument can be a terrorist act, 0 dead bodies.
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    I don't buy that new-fangled version of terrorism defined by Bush, sorry.

Definition of terrorism
    :the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Merriam-Webster up in here.
    So what was this dude trying to coerce?

I'm all ears
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    It says especially, not solely.

Let's play pedant today.
    It's called being precise. What exactly was systematic about this shooter/shooting?
    None of you guys are talking about the crackdown on democracy that happened in Catalonia? Shit was barbaric. Riot police out en force beating down men women and kids for seeking their basic human right of a vote.

• WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,392
    Still reading up on that. Don't know much about Spain.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.

What Catalonia did was illegal, so that vote carried no weight. But it's A LOT of them voting this time, meaning obvious dissent within Spain's borders. I don't know if they'd care if the Catalonia region wasn't wealthy as fuck and also the home of Barcelona, but here we are. This isn't the first time this has happened and doubt it'll be the end of it.

It's a huge source of revenue for the country so bet that Spain won't let it go without a fight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file