MvC:I the 'Sales' topic (financial status of the game)

Comments

• FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 626
    edited October 2
    Magegg wrote: »
    They should give some DLCs for free, at least. Or discount the game.

Did SFV have a discount or free DLC?
    Looking at that it seems like the answer is; not going to happen. Plus they will be milking the game for ESPORTS and sick combos.

Not to mention I think Flippino Champ must have had to much influence in this game. What are his favorite characters, Dormammu and Ghost Rider. They happen to be very good characters.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,976
    edited October 2
    They should give some DLCs for free, at least. Or discount the game.

Did SFV have a discount or free DLC?
    No but it had unlockables.
    Plus they will be milking the game for ESPORTS and sick combos.
    They could do that AND ALSO increase the sales by offering some discounts and such. The game's bombing. It's not like the game's retail sales don't matter; they're part of the profit they're supposed to make.
  • RLAAMJR.RLAAMJR. Test Joined: Posts: 798
    The sales will have a steady increase as they continue to release dlc characters, especially the xmen
    "You should have not tangled with nature!" - Storm, X-men vs Street Fighter

Favorite Street Fighter Character: Ingrid
    Favorite Tekken Character: Lili
    Favorite Marvel vs Capcom Character: Ororo Munroe aka Storm
    Favorite Mortal Kombat character: Reptile
    Favorite Darkstalkers character: Bulleta/B.B. Hood

• ShiroZXShiroZX Joined: Posts: 51
    The game could sell more over time, slowly, but as things are getting added to the game, it could attract more people slowly into the game. Right now I think the community is the one who needs to support it.
    Though casual audience is shit imo, most of them (im pretty sure) will criticize the game without even playing the previous ones, or they just played MvC3 a few minutes and called it a day (I know some ppl that are like that).
    New disc update. I see no other way.
  • flickyflicky Joined: Posts: 815
    edited October 2
    MvC3 is an entirely different beast tho, it rode off the back of a very long and passionate hype train, and to be fair that game was more bare bones than this one. MvC3's launch sales were more based on the ressurection of MvC and not on its actual content alone. With MvCi there was no hype train, people didn't wait 5-10 years for this new game that might have never happened, it just popped up out of thin air, here's a shitty story trailer for you, boom!

I think if they're gonna be good they need to release everything else extra to Wave 1 DLC for free, costumes, characters etc. I don't think a new disc version would go down well what with production costs and everything. I think a major cosmetic update is what the game needs, an expanded story mode, fix glitches but leave balance alone type things, maybe rename it and give it a sub title.

Because you can be sure as hell peoples aren't going to pay $50 for Wave 2 and Wave 3, but they might pay money for a 2018 edition if they cleaned up the game and promised additional free content.
    Take the 6 announced characters and add 6 more, and sell it as a new disc.

It still doesn't change the fact they picked characters no one cares about (like Haggar, Frank, Spencer) but it could make it a little more appealing for people who weren't (specially if they add Wolverine, Magneto, Deadpool, etc).

Now that I think about it... it wouldn't work. They would have to add new modes (people already seen the story mode of the game, they're not paying for a new game with the same story mode), change the GUI, new stages, graphic improvements, among other things... just like Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Oh, dear God... Capcom must be in dismay to see how hard this is bombing, the game's practically dead on arrival.
  • flickyflicky Joined: Posts: 815
    They should have focused on the characters and released Story Mode as DLC instead.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,527
    edited October 3
    flicky wrote: »
    They should have focused on the characters and released Story Mode as DLC instead.

They should've focused on making a good-looking game to be honest.
    How about not taking 1-1.5 years to make a game, but rather 2.5-3 years to make one, not outsourcing models/animations and hiring a real comic book author to write the story?
    Another plus would've been using real voice actors instead of asking the families and friends of the designers to do it instead.

The thing I don't get about Marvel 4 is why the fuck do they use MvC3 models, and animations instead of SFV as a base?
    That's like they had used SF2 models to make Marvel 1 or 2. It's ridiculous.
    Let's be real, artistic choices aside, clipping and shitty vs screen portraits aside, SFV looks great. Why make Marvel look like a last generation game?
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    I don't care if they look, if it's the same roster I'm not buying it.
  • LoghornLoghorn Joined: Posts: 292
    edited October 3
    Shahenzan wrote: »
    I'm really baffled by how a lot of people are approaching this sales thing
    MvCI obviously was not a smash hit, but what does that matter on SRK specifically?
    People are here, talking about the game, playing the game, and participating in or at least watching tournaments. For this community, it is doing what it set out to do.
    I'm also baffled by this obsession with the sales stuff - it's not going to stop the FGC from playing it. Also, I'm wondering if people really wanted the game to be a lot better or to flop.

Sales matters more to companies, not big tournament numbers.
    itsOneO wrote: »
    Considering the massive global popularity of Marvel today, MVCI (as a concept) should've been a slam dunk. It's the hottest commodity you could attach yourself to in entertainment.

There's no excuse why MVCI (as a concept) and Injustice shouldn't have at least comparable numbers. If it doesn't, it boils down to bad marketing and the final product itself being unsatisfactory.

Who truly knows which entity did the most damage, but both Capcom and Marvel/Disney share blame for MVCI's performance. Capcom, for not giving their all in developing the game; And Marvel/Disney, for letting corporate politics between FOX damage their game to this degree.

This; It's embarrassing for both Capcom & Marvel as a whole. What's even more embarrassing, is that Dragon Ball Fighter Z is being more praised by most fighting game fans than MvC: I is (& even looks a lot better than MvC:I does).
    But i admit the poor sales is really disappointing. But i wasnt surprised considering the fact that the initial roster was not a good one, no xmen, only 4 ladies and no black character. Showijg trailers with ugly graphics which is a big turn off and people would easily compare how much better was Mvc3 when it comes to promotion than mvci.

• Zane HitsurugiZane Hitsurugi X-buster, ready. Joined: Posts: 1,078
    RLAAMJR. wrote: »
    But i admit the poor sales is really disappointing. But i wasnt surprised considering the fact that the initial roster was not a good one, no xmen, only 4 ladies and no black character. Showijg trailers with ugly graphics which is a big turn off and people would easily compare how much better was Mvc3 when it comes to promotion than mvci.
    I assure you that the amount of minority and female characters had very little to do with the sales. The real problem is that there's a lack of characters that get people excited to play the game on the roster.
    Things would have gone a little better if the game looked better and had those 6 dlc characters in the base game, but then again there's some real garbage there like Black Widow and Winter Soldier, so...
    PSN: hawkw1ng
    BBCF: Susano'o, Bang, Kokonoe UNIBEXLTEST: Enkidu/Yuzuriha MVC:I- Megaman X/Zero
  • YorKeYYorKeY Suffer like G did... Joined: Posts: 7,256
    This game's graphics and presentation pretty much killed half of it's sales, I don't think anyone would see this game and think " holy shit, that looks nuts " unless they already know what they're in for from playing previous Marvel games, but if you're just some casual who's never played previous Marvel games, you'd definitely be more hype even for CoDWW2 than this game. Meanwhile marvel 3 looked sick af with the cel shaded graphics at launch trailers.
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: No one and everyone (Yun in the future)
    MvC Infinite: Captain MarvelxGamora/Captain AmericaxMegaman
    Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles and MvCi
    " Shill of Shills. " - DevilJin
    If you play MvC click this link for kreygasm

• FreezingCicadaFreezingCicada Joined: Posts: 626
    Loghorn wrote: »
    Shahenzan wrote: »
    I'm really baffled by how a lot of people are approaching this sales thing
    MvCI obviously was not a smash hit, but what does that matter on SRK specifically?
    People are here, talking about the game, playing the game, and participating in or at least watching tournaments. For this community, it is doing what it set out to do.
    I'm also baffled by this obsession with the sales stuff - it's not going to stop the FGC from playing it. Also, I'm wondering if people really wanted the game to be a lot better or to flop.

Sales matters more to companies, not big tournament numbers.

Capcom already moving and pushing a model where they dont necessarily care about sales but views from tournaments and possible increase of sales during/after that period of time.
    Idk if its on youtube but there was an investors short video describing how they plan to make money from UMvCi and SFV through tournaments.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 2,006
    I don't know about that, man. Raw sales are a pretty big thing. Betting on eSports viewings and trickle effects is not only a massive gamble but I doubt both marvel and Capcom would of agreed to that business model. Either way I'm kind of happy to see other people with views similar to mine. I thought my bitterness was biased but goddamn, everything everyone is saying is spot on how I feel.

This game really is embarassing. Theres no passion behind it. Even with its janky ass animations, injustice 2 still looks better.
  • yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,081
    I enjoy mvci but I will say that a lot of the disappointment compared to mvc3 is the lackluster roster. In mvc3 we got:

Modok
    Super Skrull
    Amaterasu
    Thor
    Arthur
    Chris
    Wesker
    Dormammu
    Trish
    Spencer
    X-23
    Viewtiful Joe
    Hsien
    Zero
    Shehulk
    Taskmaster

I mean I don't care for most of those characters but the roster was HYPE.

And then they brought back favorites like Storm, sent, Mags, Tron??? It was exciting. There were lots of new functions.

The weak roster even though lots of characters have cool new tools just leave more to be desired IMO

So this "mvc3" is nostalgia is a bunch of bs. 3/4th the cast was brand new and completely retooled
  • AlMoStLeGeNdArYAlMoStLeGeNdArY Optimize or Die Joined: Posts: 2,241
    I'm going to say this again but I wish people would realize that the sales they're talking about doesn't include digital sales. So to compare the sales of mvci mvc3 or umvc3 is disingenuous. Considering their was no digital option to buy at the launch of the game. Truthfully we don't know the sales numver and untik the digital numbers are released we won't know.

Also the market for this game is the US. Japan and EU aren't really strong markets to judge the sales of the game. I think people need to stop with the sales stuff untik qe have nkre information
    Hopefully, it sold well in the US and i hope it does better than MVC3.

Hopefully, it sold well in the US
    No, it didn't.
  • FatalSeabassFatalSeabass Seabass is lethal! Joined: Posts: 1,068
    Sold well? It bombed catastrophically hard. If Marvel was using this as a potential test for future games with Capcom, then damn.
    Prolly 3vs3 is better than 2vs2 for MVC

• Sp00kyFoxSp00kyFox Joined: Posts: 335
    well the number of entries in the rankings are a sign of how successful sales were. and they don't look too good. global number seems to be around 25k on PS4 is the last what I heard.
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 529
    edited October 4
    I don't know about that, man. Raw sales are a pretty big thing. Betting on eSports viewings and trickle effects is not only a massive gamble but I doubt both marvel and Capcom would of agreed to that business model. Either way I'm kind of happy to see other people with views similar to mine. I thought my bitterness was biased but goddamn, everything everyone is saying is spot on how I feel.

This game really is embarassing. Theres no passion behind it. Even with its janky ass animations, injustice 2 still looks better.

Trust me dude, you are not the only one. I STILL want to buy SFV to this day simply because it has the 2 mains I wanted back in SF in years(Karin, R.Mika) has one of my new favs(Juri) and one of the DLC characters has me interested like no one else(Menat) but considering how badly they fucked up the game, I'm not touching at all, especially with that terrible as fuck DLC practice(well hey, you bought the season pass and hoping to get those other costumes with that? Well Fuck YOU, you have to buy that completely separate from the Season Pass), bland gameplay with very little options and the absolute abysmal storyline that proved to me Capcom cannot make stories in their fighting games worth shit(and I'm critical of NRS stories and even they make more sense than MvC:I and SFV's stories.)

But MvC:I can go fuck right the hell off as even unlike SFV, they didn't give a shit about the game from any other perspective past the FGC. One of the most terrible stories I've seen that doesn't even have a beginning, just a middle and end and slightly talks about the beginning, horrific presentation, terrible character models that only the DLC characters are getting past because of course and even not to mention, those DLC characters should have been released on the disc considering Sigma is one of the main villain duo and Monster Hunter and Black Panther are in the Story Mode!
    I never plan on buying Infinite and hope my friends do the same because unlike SFV, Capcom didn't even try.

Hopefully, it sold well in the US and i hope it does better than MVC3.

hhn.gif

Sp00kyFox wrote: »
    well the number of entries in the rankings are a sign of how successful sales were. and they don't look too good. global number seems to be around 25k on PS4 is the last what I heard.

I agree with that since it makes more sense considering how the rankings even worked in SFV and Infinite probably shows how many are truly playing atm.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,226
    Liam Robertson on what happened with MvC:I
    Basically what everyone expected:

- Shoestring budget. Like half of the budget for SFV's DLC plans.
    - Re-use of old assets. That concerns mostly the Capcom side.
    - Management didn't care until making fun of Chun Li became a meme. That's why that got changed.
    - The first round if DLC characters has been finished months ago. They were just cut from the game.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443056
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,527
    edited October 5
    And I thought the developers were just retarded.

Gotta be frustrating as hell working for Capcom.
    This game could've been so good and so successful.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    edited October 5
    This game has probably single-handedly killed the franchise :/
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,343
    edited October 5
    Gotta be frustrating as hell working for Capcom.
    i guess thats a reason why some people leave
    https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/oct/04/matt-dahlgren-and-capcom-part-ways-after-more-9-years/
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,327
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/06/playstation-store-septembers-top-downloads-2/

b4scKJB.png

When 2yo+ games outsells your recent offering you know it bombed :coffee:

( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,327
    edited October 6
    I'm going to say this again but I wish people would realize that the sales they're talking about doesn't include digital sales. So to compare the sales of mvci mvc3 or umvc3 is disingenuous. Considering their was no digital option to buy at the launch of the game. Truthfully we don't know the sales numver and untik the digital numbers are released we won't know.

Also the market for this game is the US. Japan and EU aren't really strong markets to judge the sales of the game. I think people need to stop with the sales stuff untik qe have nkre information

You have to be fucking stupid to not understand why the sales on UK and Japan matter, specially when you compared said sales with the mvc3 sales ont the same lifetime window.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • LordryuLordryu Joined: Posts: 4
    Hecatom wrote: »
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/06/playstation-store-septembers-top-downloads-2/

b4scKJB.png

I'm gonna be blunt - even Marvel 3 would've had a bit of trouble reaching up high that top 10, what with about 90% of that list composed of games that get literally millions.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,481

b4scKJB.png

Looking at the other games on that list, if anything that might actually be a promising sign for MVCI. All of those games on that list are super-mainstream which means having the Marvel name on it gave it a little bit more of an edge. Also, I wonder what the sudden surge of KOF13 sales on PS3 was about...
    Lordryu wrote: »

I'm gonna be blunt - even Marvel 3 would've had a bit of trouble reaching up high that top 10, what with about 90% of that list composed of games that get literally millions.

Yeah. We all know Marvel is a brand with not enough appeal to reach sales of millions...
  • LordryuLordryu Joined: Posts: 4
    edited October 6
    Lordryu wrote: »

Yeah. We all know Marvel is a brand with not enough appeal to reach sales of millions...

Pretty sure Vanilla MvC3 hit about 3 million by the time of its release, and at least two of those other games on that PS Store list have potentially hit maybe double by now.
  • AlMoStLeGeNdArYAlMoStLeGeNdArY Optimize or Die Joined: Posts: 2,241

You have to be fucking stupid to not understand why the sales on UK and Japan matter, specially when you compared said sales with the mvc3 sales ont the same lifetime window.

The market for marvel has always been the US. It has the strongest scene and a bigger audience. You can trt to expand upon that however that's njt the primary market for this game. Marvel isn't street fighter.
    edited October 7
    The Marvel franchise is huge in Asia.