MvC:I the 'Sales' topic (financial status of the game)

Comments

• bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 778
    edited October 7
    Magegg wrote: »
    The Marvel franchise is huge in Asia.

The Marvel MOVIES are huge. Nobody in Asia cares about anything else from them.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,972
    From movies to video games there's only one step.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Drone, Drone, Stone Joined: Posts: 882
    The Marvel franchise is huge in Asia.

Marvel vs Capcom has never been.
    edited October 7
    From movies to video games there's only one step.

From the movies to the comics there has been one step...and yet few people read the comics in the USA. A really high-selling comic for Marvel is something that warrants printing of 300,000 copies. That's not a lot.

In Asia? People care even less and those who ARE interested either can't find the comics in their language or are intimidated by the complex storytelling that only makes sense if you have been reading for a long time / have invested in reading many titles.

Video games aren't all that different. MvC hasn't been mainstream since the 90s -- and except for some standouts, most Marvel video games since the early 2000s have been shovelware for kids. Many of the games don't even get releases in other regions.

It's a joke to think Marvel properties (not counting the movies) have a huge following outside of a couple western countries.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

bchan009 wrote: »
    From the movies to the comics there has been one step...and yet few people read the comics in the USA. A really high-selling comic for Marvel is something that warrants printing of 300,000 copies. That's not a lot.
    Video games are almost as accesible as the movies.

With the comics there's a big storyline and continuity barrier, as well as a habit you have to develop to buy each month. That's way harder.

edited October 7
    itsOneO wrote: »
    Its is ridiculous to suggest that Marvel's worldwide success and utter dominance in films cannot translate into videogame success (or success in Asia).

People keep leaning on the claim that past MVC games weren't popular in Asia, but this is not "pre-Avengers" 2011; this is 2017 where Marvel is the hottest name in entertainment with over 16 movies & counting. Spiderman & Guardians Vol.2 almost reached $1 Billion Worldwide in box office tickets this year, with a large bulk of that thanks to Asia.. And Lord knows how much Marvel made in merchandise and DVD/OnDemand sales.

If Marvel loans you the license to make a stupid amount of money using their name, and you can't; you're doing it wrong, you're doing it all wrong my friend. Even under the MCU restrictions, Spiderman, Ironman, & Captain America made Billions on Billions. People know them, people love them, the problem is the highly questionable game they're in & shiesty suits behind the game.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE for the games to be successful in Asia. It's just unlikely. Outside of the movies many people DON'T CARE about these characters. They aren't an ingrained part of society and pop culture like they are in America. It's been clearly shown that people can LOVE something as a movie franchise and not want to jump in to other related media. Even in the USA that's the case -- how many new comic book readers have the movies pulled in? Answer: not many.

MvC:I's main flaws are that it was marketed poorly and looks ugly as hell. But even if that wasn't the case, it wasn't necessarily going to be the runaway success people think.

Too many people on this forum have never lived anywhere outside the USA and have no concept of how unimportant Marvel is outside of the movies to a large chunk of the population outside of America. This forum is filled with hardcore FG players from America who grew up with Marvel properties. They don't realize that out of all the people who LOVE the movies, there is a small percentage who actually care about the properties themselves.

Fighting games are a niche. Comics are a niche. MvC sits in the middle of a tiny ass venn diagram of people who like both. Even when the Marvel games were done WELL Japan didn't care all that much. Without the hardcore US scene MVC2 wouldn't have lasted anywhere NEAR 10 years and Capcom wouldn't have bothered to make MVC3 at all. This scene is a purely American one and always has been, movies or not.

You wanna talk about games that would sell well due to Marvel licensing worldwide? It's not MvC. It's shitty mobile phone games.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

• just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,897
    lol @ everyone with their heads in the sand going "b-but the FGC plays it! casuals don't matter!"

- Fewer sales means fewer people playing the game. If I want to play something niche, I'll go play VSav or CvS2. The whole point of moving onto new games is having people to share them with.
    - DLC potential for this game is really low if you don't have a market to sell it to. You must be out of your damn mind if you think we'll get anything more than MvC3 rehashes from here on, as that's the only thing cheap enough to produce for a profit.
    - eSports? You really think this game will work as an eSport if people don't care enough to buy it?

You're effectively going back to the MvC2 "second class citizen" era. Accept it.
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 527
    Man, it's hilarious and yet sad at the same time to see so much defense for this game...

It'll be funnier yet when people, again, come back to clamoring for the next MvC game only to find out another one is never coming and they should be happy playing MvC:I again because atleast they won't have to watch out for updates to mess up their combos LMAO.

But hey, who seriously cares about lifetime sales, I'm playing the game, I want to have fun. Let me not care for the future of the franchise...till I want the future of the franchise: Motto of SRK since Third Strike.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,701
    That's how this shit is though. I can't control what capcom does. But I can enjoy games I like. Capcom is gonna do dumb shit always. I'm a gamer to my heart though gameplay is all I give a fuck about till the end. People voted with their wallets like I said they would. @po pimpus and @Xhominid should be happy that the market responded the way they did. The game is getting exactly what it deserves. We will probably never get another mvc again. But in the mean time imma enjoy myself.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • XhominidXhominid Knight of Dizzy Joined: Posts: 527
    I'm not happy at all with Capcom's continued failures and bullshit. I'm actually quite livid because it ultimately shows me how little of a fuck they really give to those that will never be competitive players who care for the tournaments.

Hell, I'm even more mad that they are finally addressing SFV's lack of content to the point where I may actually buy it for Steam but are completely content with making and leaving Infinite like this.
    Assumption is the mother of all fuckups and I'm just plain up getting tired of Capcom's.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 56,719 mod
    That's how this shit is though. I can't control what capcom does. But I can enjoy games I like. Capcom is gonna do dumb shit always. I'm a gamer to my heart though gameplay is all I give a fuck about till the end. People voted with their wallets like I said they would. @po pimpus and Xhominid should be happy that the market responded the way they did. The game is getting exactly what it deserves. We will probably never get another mvc again. But in the mean time imma enjoy myself.

Everytime we say another Marvel game won't come out, another one does any way.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• yah yaahh b*tch!yah yaahh b*tch! thats my b*tch Joined: Posts: 6,079
    flicky wrote: »
    Its is ridiculous to suggest that Marvel's worldwide success and utter dominance in films cannot translate into videogame success (or success in Asia).

People keep leaning on the claim that past MVC games weren't popular in Asia, but this is not "pre-Avengers" 2011; this is 2017 where Marvel is the hottest name in entertainment with over 16 movies & counting. Spiderman & Guardians Vol.2 almost reached $1 Billion Worldwide in box office tickets this year, with a large bulk of that thanks to Asia.. And Lord knows how much Marvel made in merchandise and DVD/OnDemand sales.

If Marvel loans you the license to make a stupid amount of money using their name, and you can't; you're doing it wrong, you're doing it all wrong my friend. Even under the MCU restrictions, Spiderman, Ironman, & Captain America made Billions on Billions. People know them, people love them, the problem is the highly questionable game they're in & shiesty suits behind the game.

But why can't Capcom have the same integrity for their own characters, that's what I want to know? Spider-Man goes all the way back to the 60's and he's still just as popular today rocking it in MvCI, Captain Commando goes back to the 90's but he was dead within ten years, only hanging on to the winet ends of MvC2's ass hair. Capcom have this huge library of characters that would appeal to the Marvel market, but they're too afraid or too lazy to let them front a main game and let people see how interesting they really are.

I wish someone would actually tell Capcom this instead of kissing up to them at every event they show up to.

Something is off, there is some sort of void in their customer retention. Usually companies have entire departments dedicated to acquiring feedback from their customers and sourcing out ways to address their concerns.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,437

But why can't Capcom have the same integrity for their own characters, that's what I want to know? Spider-Man goes all the way back to the 60's and he's still just as popular today rocking it in MvCI, Captain Commando goes back to the 90's but he was dead within ten years, only hanging on to the winet ends of MvC2's ass hair. Capcom have this huge library of characters that would appeal to the Marvel market, but they're too afraid or too lazy to let them front a main game and let people see how interesting they really are.

I dunno, I'm looking at Sigma and Jedah and they don't look like they've missed a step even though they've been out of the spotlight for a long time. Sigma's Lv 3 in particular is fucking badass.
  • flickyflicky Joined: Posts: 790
    I honestly think Disney/Marvel and Capcom should just merge (or be bought out), giving Marvel rights to a huge back catalogue of Capcom characters, but also giving Capcom the money to produce their own content with proper cinematic and comic teams. Disney's increasing interest in eSports just validates that idea to me.

I mean, half of the original Capcom is gone, the new guys probably don't know what to even do with these old characters, but a company like Marvel would know how to turn a character around, giving it a comic and possibly even movie features if they felt it. Capcom's DMC reboot was a huge flop, but Marvel's reboots are often huge successes, so much to the point that a character can die and then two weeks later start all over again. Capcom try but they haven't got the financial faith to take the leap and stick to their guns, they always take one step forwards but two steps backwards.

I mean Captain Fucking Commando!!! Yes that's his real name because he deserves it. He was the mascot of Capcom USA and was inspired in many ways by western sci-fi comics. How well would a modern adaptation gel with current Marvel universes? He is after all a western super hero. So why would Capcom think Marvel fans wouldn't be interested by a character like that? Especially in MvCI that's all about guns and lasers and gauntlets. This is just one example.

Ughh. Maybe we should all just flash mob the offices, slap them and tell it to their faces.

This is over 20 years old and even this is amazing.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,897
    Capcom is run by people who think everything with the Capcom brand should sell 2 mil by name alone or the game is a failure. Even if the game is literally a minimum viable product that falls short on most grounds for impressing people.
  • stevestevensonstevestevenson Joined: Posts: 190
    I honestly think Disney/Marvel and Capcom should just merge (or be bought out)
    I'm sure they will take your advice on board.

wtf happened to this forum? this is like a gamefaqs thread.
  • YorKeYYorKeY Binary Mode [ON] I'm pretty much the boss of SRK. Joined: Posts: 7,245
    Lalalalalala, the game is breaking records, I don't wanna hear anything else.
    Dota 2 player.
    SFV: No one and everyone (Yun in the future)
    MvC Infinite: Captain MarvelxGamora/Captain AmericaxMegaman
    Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles and MvCi
    " Shill of Shills. " - DevilJin
    If you play MvC click this link for kreygasm

Breaking the records of lowest sales and biggest flops :P
    I honestly think Disney/Marvel and Capcom should just merge (or be bought out)
    I'm sure they will take your advice on board.

wtf happened to this forum? this is like a gamefaqs thread.

Lol, but no it's true. Disney are currently taking more interest in eSports events, even to the point of thinking about hosting their own. It's convenient that a likely eSports candidate is MvCI which is partially their property, and potentially their window into eSports would be the FGC, with games like Marvel and Smash etc. With their previous and current partnerships with Marvel and Capcom SFV would probably be invited to the party as well, so they're already tickling each others balls at the idea of eSports being the next big venture for their business.

And Capcom are just hanging on by a thread, literally. Almost every game of theirs recently has been a let down and a major flop, if eSports doesn't work out then what does that leave for the rest of the company? They're either too afraid or don't have the money to commit to making big risks by resurrecting old properties, but they can't keep on living on Arthur, Nemesis and Spencer. So at some point in the end they're going to have to take a risk or give it all up for something else, which they've partially done already by moving on to VR.

So to the future of fighting games and the history of Capcom it makes sense to me, as crazy as it sounds, for Disney to buy out Capcom and partner them with Marvel to give them the resources they need, for example more money to make financial risks, or higher quality teams to work on comic and cinematic adventures. I mean fuck Udon, they couldn't even draw a bunch of sprites they had to do it twice over and they still suck, to this day nobody uses them.

Marvel on the other hand have been around for over half a century, they're one of the biggest comic industries in the world, even one of the biggest cinematic industries in the world, and had they worked on the art direction and story mode for MvCi instead of Capcom, how much better would that have turned out? How much better of a game would it have been had both companies had a major role in developing something for what is Dinsey's property?

It sounds crazy but to me it makes sense, it was sad to see SNK go when they got bought out by Playmore, but ten years later they were back in action and KoFXIII was a major hit, they're being bold and committing to resurrect old properties such as SS and FF, and we need the same with Rival Schools and Darkstalkers too.

Think of Bandai Namco, Tekken being made by the same people who sell Power Rangers products, yet every game Namco put out is top top quality. It's a fucked up mismatch of properties but it can work, and the same could happen to Capcom too.
  • King of penguinsKing of penguins Joined: Posts: 335
    Yeah Disney will tots buy capcom at some hundred(s ?) million(s?) they are still worth (for all their goddamn IPs at least plus the physical real estate and such...). So they can do better on the shoestring budget fighting game that isnt selling and even when the serie was at it's peak popularity, still wasnt THAT big compared to non-fg AAA games.
    Solid buisness plan.
    As for capcom going bankrupt. They'll dive right into full P2W mobile game before waiving a white flag. And by the way, we are angry now at their shitty DLC practice. Wait till they are desperate enough to try the lootboxe craze that is sweeping even sologames "Hey kids, wanna spend another 50bucks but this time directly for us, you'll win some shitty alternates color, voicelines and maybe a nice skin "
    Maybe they'll even go the konami pachinko way before.

What capcom invest in esport is a pittance when compared to the mobas/overwatch/counter strike scene and yet they get the same hype, so far they arent risking anything with it and reaping huge result for those setups/winner purse.

So yeah, Capcom is still on the "let's see how stinky we can make our shit and sell it in parts" until they get a real slap on the money. So far, even with MVCi failling, it's not happening.

PSN id : Leroidespinguins
    Skullgirls : Peacock/Cerebella
    Umvc3 team : Nova/Taskmaster/Deadpool
    BlazBlue : Lambda-11 (main); Tager (sub)
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    edited October 12
    Capcom are worth $1.bil, Marvel were worth $4bil, Disney are worth over $90bil. If eSports interests them enough, and Capcom CEO's are greedy enough, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this went down.
    Capcom are worth $1.bil, Marvel were worth $4bil, Disney are worth over $90bil. If eSports interests them enough, and Capcom CEO's are greedy enough, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this went down.

Coming in 2020, Star Wars ESPORTS presented by Capcom!
    edited October 12
    Disney would never buy Capcom.

They can't take responsibility of games featuring zombies, demons and scantly clad females.

It's simply not the style of their company.
  • dizzynecrodizzynecro Drone, Drone, Stone Joined: Posts: 882

They can't take responsibility of games featuring zombies, demons and scantly clad females.

Don't all of these things exist in Marvel?
    Yeah. And they mostly don't adapt those stories.

Also, the amount of "bright, family-friendly" stuff at Marvel outweights by one thousand the creepy stuff.
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 452
    I'm at that point where I'm mostly okay with Capcom being acquired by a more capable/responsible entity.

I feel like the days of Capcom pimping Street Fighter/Megaman/RE/etc, like Sega pimps Sonic, are closing in.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
    edited October 12
    Yeah. And they mostly don't adapt those stories.

Also, the amount of "bright, family-friendly" stuff at Marvel outweights by one thousand the creepy stuff.

There's a Marvel comic out right now, set in the MCU, that features a zombie outbreak devastating the city.

Also, Netflix MCU, anyone?
    edited October 12

Isn't there an X-Men episode where Bishop goes into the future with Wolverine and the world is over run with zombies while the old aged X-Men fight the chaos?
    edited October 13

Isn't there an X-Men episode where Bishop goes into the future with Wolverine and the world is over run with zombies while the old aged X-Men fight the chaos?

That cartoon series is from the 90s. Disney didn't buy Marvel until 2009.

Either way, Disney wouldn't buy Capcom because it's not worth it. Disney has tried to make its own games multiple times before. Most recently, Disney backed out of video games hard after Infinity died and is more than happy to license out their properties to 3rd party studios instead. Buying Capcom is worth more time and money than it's worth, and it certainly isn't worth it just for MvC:I. They are more than happy to just continue making money with TV/movies, which has been their bread and butter since the 30s.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

• King of penguinsKing of penguins Joined: Posts: 335
    Also. Disney buy thing that are selling.
    They arent in the buisness of buying stuff that's doing shitty and improving it.

PSN id : Leroidespinguins
    Skullgirls : Peacock/Cerebella
    Umvc3 team : Nova/Taskmaster/Deadpool
    BlazBlue : Lambda-11 (main); Tager (sub)
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    I doubt Disney buy anything Japanese. They're 100% American.

They probably don't even understand the appeal of Capcom.

They understand for sure Marvel and Star Wars, though.
    I'm at that point where I'm mostly okay with Capcom being acquired by a more capable/responsible entity.

I feel like the days of Capcom pimping Street Fighter/Megaman/RE/etc, like Sega pimps Sonic, are closing in.

Coming? They're already here. It's just like Sega that's likely how it's going to stay and no company intervention is going to happen

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

• GrieversGunbladeGrieversGunblade Joined: Posts: 329

Sonic Mania was a success, though. Colors and Generation also did well.
    Ultra Street Fighter IV: Vega, Blanka, Decapre
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Dante, Zero, Wolverine
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 452

Sonic Mania was a success, though. Colors and Generation also did well.

It took many, many years of darkness before we finally saw these recent glimmers of hope from Sonic & Sega.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • Galactica727Galactica727 Joined: Posts: 75
    edited October 14
    No surprise that the game sidn't sell well, and I can also sense the lack of enthusiasm for this game even on this site. People used to talk combos and strategies a lot back when marvel vs capcom 3 was released. If you look at the posting count for the character discussion, it is very low compared to what we have seen before.
    No surprise that the game sidn't sell well, and I can also sense the lack of enthusiasm for this game even on this site. People used to talk combos and strategies a lot back when marvel vs capcom 3 was released. If you look at the posting count for the character discussion, it is very low compared to what we have seen before.

That's more so due to social media and discord being alternative forum options.

NRS and anime games have never had huge discussions here for years any way. The push away from SRK has been happening for years really. Just expedited with other options to discuss the games. All you gotta do is go on Twitter and see all of the Capcom Tour Pro people going HAM talking about the Capcom games. Plus the new thing is the secret Discords.

You can go on Facebook and probably find like 4 or 5 active discussion groups for MvCI, but they will be so casual and scrubby in the type of discussions that it isn't worth bothering looking at. The SFV FB group is literally just a fan page that could be made for any SF game.

Even when DBZ launches you won't have a ton of discussion for the game here. You will have to go on social media to see any heavy active discussion for the game. Even the one thread for the game here has shit for posts relative to all the social media hype and memes.