How long is your shaft...

hizzy2000hizzy2000 Joined: Posts: 3
Joystick shaft, that is!

I have been looking at many pictures of joysticks, and shaft lengths seem to vary. I always thought that a joystick mounting height of 23mm-24mm between the bottom of the ball top and the top of the control panel was the standard, but I think 20mm is also used. When building my sticks, I always go off slagcoin dimensions. Do you guys stick to those specs, or have you altered your shaft length to a personal preference? If so, what length is preferable to you?

Thanks!!

Comments

• jaquiojaquio Joined: Posts: 249
    I've never measured it but one thing to consider is that a joystick mounted on a custom/wood controller will be some milimeters taller than those mounted on a proper metal plate (madcatz, hori, candy cabs). Mine is a Madcatz SE with Sanwa parts and i think its height is well accepted.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,803
    23 to 24mm is an approximate measurement. Some controllers will be different than others. Various factors also change results, like having a plexy
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I approve this thread.
  • RLAAMJR.RLAAMJR. Test Joined: Posts: 861
    That's too short, lol :)
    "You should have not tangled with nature!" - Storm, X-men vs Street Fighter

Favorite Street Fighter Character: Ingrid
    Favorite Tekken Character: Lili
    Favorite Marvel vs Capcom Character: Ororo Munroe aka Storm
    Favorite Mortal Kombat character: Reptile
    Favorite Darkstalkers character: Bulleta/B.B. Hood

• BraintrashBraintrash Joined: Posts: 73
    edited October 30
    I believe every mesure given here is greatly exaggerated.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    The standard for Japanese sticks (Sanwa, Seimitsu) is 24mm from the top of the play surface to the bottom of the ball-top.
    Some Mad Catz sticks had the lever mounted slightly deeper, so it would turn out to be a few millimeters shorter. On top of that, if you added a plexi cover when it didn't originally have one, you're shortening the shaft length by yet another couple of millimeters.

I personally have kept my custom sticks at the standard height, but admittedly, since I use a bat-top, a difference of 1-2mm in either direction isn't really noticeable (compared to if I had a ball-top in place).
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • GameHovaGameHova Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Joined: Posts: 563
    Damn, I was ready to brag...shiiiit
    IRONMAN/DORMAMMU/STRANGE
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,843
    Forget that.

When I first saw XYZZY play, he had a ginormous crane game esque ball top on his shaft.

He wasn't going for length, he was going for girth.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,803
    If I post how long my shaft is... I might get my account banned.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • blueleonblueleon Joined: Posts: 2,217
    What I can't get over is that OP says he has been looking at many pictures of joysticks..
    We were all sharing stories. Them about their missions and time in training, me about how I ended up in this line of work. And one marine saw a chick that caught his eye. He excuses him self and approaches her and her group. He introduces himself to the group and ask to speak with the chick he likes. Him and the lady get to talking, and with the utmost confidence, this dude ( in a suttle way ) suggest they get a room. And gives her a pat on the ass. Now if that was me or most other guys she probably throw a drink in my face or something. But I guess this dude just oozes so much machismo and alphaness, that she was turned on by his forwardness. And her friends were even impressed by him, and they ended up leaving together - BB_Hoody
  • digos25digos25 SENZU BEAN! Joined: Posts: 607