Rainbow Six Siege - the 900(ms) IQ shooter

OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GODJoined: Posts: 10,280
gaming-20170210-RainbowSix.jpg

With the 2nd birthday of the Ubisoft shooter coming soon (and another year of support at least to come) it's maybe time to talk about this amazing FPS!
This thread is gonna be mainly about Siege but if people wish it they can also use it to talk about other Rainbow Six material.
ALL PRAISE LORD TACHANKA!

Presentation of Operation White Noise (incoming for everyone on December 12th):

Year 3 roadmap:
roadmap_year_03.jpg
[SFV] Laura (Sakura, Cody?) [3S] Alex, Ken
[Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
[UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
[MvCI] Thanos and something else

Comments

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,280
    edited December 1
    So today I finished the Ubisoft Club challenge to get Black Eye charm. In the process I found out that Valkyrie is a very fun operator with amazing weapons that is also very good if you want to learn the maps. I usually played Mute or Smoke but I might've really found a defense op that I enjoy. Her and Sledge are right now my two most favorite picks.

What are everyone's main/favorite operators and why?
    Also, for anyone who played the TTS, what are your opinions on the upcoming operators and the new map?
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,111
    edited December 1
    Valk is really fun, she gives an impression to find what are the good spots overtime for camera placements (kinda like applying training mode stuff in fighting games, but instead it's to find what are the good spots). The only thing I dislike was a recent change in the Blood Orchid patch where you cannot stick cams on top of the fans anymore (it now falls off as if it doesn't stick at all). Ela and Lesion kind of is in the same boat since you could make planned peak points using the trap as a signal.

Thatcher is probably my original favorite along with Mute (even though Mute might be lacking in comparison to Bandit in some cases), but I just about had fun with almost all of the ops really (aside the ones that are questionable for overall effect in the team in current meta).

My older brother uses Sledge a lot and likes him mostly as well. He can breach downward (mostly for open sights) much more than Buck could and has a uzi as a side, so that's pretty cool (the L85A2 is decent too). The only cons is that Sledge is more practical in being areas "above" the objective with a breaching point... so you have some users that will end up choosing Buck over Sledge for versatility and quick recovery upon using his special gadget (while losing the Uzi/amount of breaching).
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • Heat_SleepHeat_Sleep I'm your Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb Joined: Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1
    I think I've put around 25+ hours into the game (I'm a level 40 scrub) currently. In the past, I've always wanted to try it but I was put off by the steep learning curve the game came with. However, after watching some Macie Jay clips and tournament streams, I decided to give Siege a try and have enjoyed playing ever since.

Siege has come to be one of the most rewarding and exhilarating shooters I've played in the last few years; it's like CS but for functional adults.

---

I tend to run Thatcher the most on attack because of the utility of his EMP grenades, though I'm not a fan of his weapons. Hibana, Blitz, and Buck are fun, too. For defense, I like Smoke, Ela and Kapkan. I've started playing Mira a lot more and I really, REALLY enjoy her kit.

I will say, Siege feels very defender-favorable right now. A lot of the defenders have very powerful kits and a lot of them are very high tier because of it. That's why I'm looking forward to Dokkaebi and Zofia.
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like watching this game on stream, it is a good watch.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 2,111
    edited December 1
    Heat_Sleep wrote: »
    I think I've put around 25+ hours into the game (I'm a level 40 scrub) currently. In the past, I've always wanted to try it but I was put off by the steep learning curve the game came with. However, after watching some Macie Jay clips and tournament streams, I decided to give Siege a try and have enjoyed playing ever since.

Siege has come to be one of the most rewarding and exhilarating shooters I've played in the last few years; it's like CS but for functional adults.

---

I tend to run Thatcher the most on attack because of the utility of his EMP grenades, though I'm not a fan of his weapons. Hibana, Blitz, and Buck are fun, too. For defense, I like Smoke, Ela and Kapkan. I've started playing Mira a lot more and I really, REALLY enjoy her kit.

I will say, Siege feels very defender-favorable right now. A lot of the defenders have very powerful kits and a lot of them are very high tier because of it. That's why I'm looking forward to Dokkaebi and Zofia.

When all else fails on attack, 3-speed it to win it.

Some information stuff:

Drone spots:
    Theme Park: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/7gjeqs/useful_drone_spot_on_theme_park/

Other:
    Grenade spot above "Offices" in Border map: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/7glz0v/common_defender_spots_to_nade/
    Post edited by AceKombat on
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
  • EdmundEdmund Cammy <3 Joined: Posts: 779
    edited December 1
    Main Ash and Ela. I do like Ying/Twitch too.

But I fucking suck at the game. Thank goodness I'm using a girl's name so everyone says it's alright when I go 0 kills and 3 deaths (or 5)

I can't deal with the pressure if I'm the last man standing in my team.

Is there like a guide on how to play the game? Like a video/article to read?
  • itzpookiieitzpookiie Sherry Jenix's Soulmate Joined: Posts: 4,433
    edited December 1
    About to break into plat from gold on Pc :)

Created a smurf to teach my friend but damn there's too much to teach
    The learning curve on top of learning the maps is steep as hell

I play in order if not taken
    Casuals
    Twitch, hibana, buck
    Smoke, doc, jaeger

Ranked
    Hibana, thatcher, ying
    Smoke, Mira, mute

Defenders feel strong at the lower levels but learn how to drone effectively and use smokes
    Smokes are strong in this game
    Learn the maps and don't scan with drones

Ar33 and l86 on thatcher are extremely good
    L86 one of the top guns in the game

I heard the new map isn't great
    There are too many walls and not enough barricades
    More maze than other maps

Introduction of passives are not the right way to go

I think ops should just have their guns and their gadgets/abilities

Passives shouldn't exist
    Heat_Sleep wrote: »
    I think I read some stats showing that most maps have a 55% wr on defense.
    Edmund wrote: »
    I had a game like this earlier where I ended 1v3 on defense as Echo. I managed to clutch it out thanks to my teammates who made very good call outs to tell me where the remaining enemies were located. I probably wouldn't have survived though if the enemy team rushed me in a single push.
    Unfortunately we ended up losing because one guy in the other team was clearly either a smurf or a cheater and was just spawn killing all my teammates (he ended up with 19 kills when his teammates got a total of 1).
    I recommend you to watch some guides with beginner tips on youtube. I personally found this video interesting if you want to learn the basics of all operators up to year 1 + a good starting loadout:
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    A lot of the pro teams are starting to run Glaz with smokes because of how powerful the smoke grenades are.

Also, the new pistol rework is pretty cool, I guess. Cav is probably going to get picked a lot more now since the recoil makes it feel like a laser beam.

• 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 999
    Good lord that kick back is non existent on Cav. Welp, give me an excuse to get back on Jackal I guess....
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
    Why are smokes so strong? I know they are with Glaz because of his thermal visor, but why are they strong in this game in particular?
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • VestaxVestax Blends No. 27 Joined: Posts: 1,509
    I'm still playing this game. I posted this 2 years ago, and got lukewarm responses. I still feel like it's an underrated shooter that I prefer over Overwatch/CoD. I'm glad OP is posting information about it again.
    Play an old man's game. Play Super Turbo.
    edited December 1
    Why are smokes so strong? I know they are with Glaz because of his thermal visor, but why are they strong in this game in particular?

Smokes are extremely strong in csgo as well except both teams are able to use them
    They block off pathways, line of sites, hide bomb plants, cut off line of sight, etc

They're even more so in siege because the bomb/secure/hostage sites are in a much smaller area compared to csgo large sites

A defender in the corner or hallway getting smoked out is just as good as dead for 5 seconds
    smoke plants are also strong because of glaz
    smokes can help your team free entry especially with the help with drones
    Deny entry into site or room

There was a buff to the smoke grenade that made the smoke itself completely obscure the area rather than make it partially see-through. Also, the TTK in this game is very fast. When you have a character like Glaz who can see through the smoke, then you have a recipe for disaster for the defender team.
    edited December 1
    Old video but still applies
    Ubisoft already addressed the client side smoke issue
    A while back
    Also when you throw smokes, only throw them in front of you if you're trying to glaz or plant
    Other than that you should try to smoke as close to the enemy as possible or the doorway that they are coming through or watching from
    edited December 1
    Main Ash and Ela. I do like Ying/Twitch too.

But I fucking suck at the game. Thank goodness I'm using a girl's name so everyone says it's alright when I go 0 kills and 3 deaths (or 5)

Siege school playlist

Also going 0-3 isn't so bad as long as you did your job and helped support your team in their win

0-5 is a different story though

There were times where me or my friends have gone 0-3 or 1-4 but we still did our job in smoking properly, breaching reinforced walls/hatches, taking out important traps/jammers, and making good call outs
    edited December 1
    Vestax wrote: »
    I'm still playing this game. I posted this 2 years ago, and got lukewarm responses. I still feel like it's an underrated shooter that I prefer over Overwatch/CoD. I'm glad OP is posting information about it again.

I desperately tried to find a thread about the game on the forum but I couldn't find it. Anyway the game got massively improved over 2 years AFAIK, so I guess many people like myself could start being interested in it once again.
    Following the lack of direction in current OW I needed another class-based shooter that wasn't too similar to the former (i.e. not Paladins). I'm loving the complexity of this game, the amount of creativity you can put into winning a round and the fact you are able to take your time and plan what you're gonna do beforehand. It's both simple enough to understand and very vast in terms of the amount of things you have to learn to be able to play properly.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • NickRocksNickRocks Knock Knock Joined: Posts: 22,882
    I wanna get this game but its been like 2 years and its still $60...piss off
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    edited December 1
    NickRocks wrote: »

Starter edition is $15
    Standard is $40

Black Friday it was $7.50 and $17 for more than a week
    Ultimate edition was $44
    I don't think you want it as much as you say you do
    I got it for 20$ on PC during Black Friday sale. You can still find Uplay keys for 16$ and year 1/2 gold editions for 10 more bucks.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    I think they should take away fuze shield and make him 2/2
    They also should've made ela smg 30 rounds
    50 rounds is insanely good
    So far I think I played every operator but the German defenders, Capitão, Frost, Mira, Ela, Doc and Montagne. I know Bandit, Jäger, Mira, Ela and Doc are good to extremely good picks but I didn't try them because I feel I don't get how to use their gadgets effectively. Anyone can provide a basic insight on them and how you play them? I only know that Ela is a roamer and that Bandit/Jäger like to fuck around the map as well.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    edited December 2
    So far I think I played every operator but the German defenders, Capitão, Frost, Mira, Ela, Doc and Montagne. I know Bandit, Jäger, Mira, Ela and Doc are good to extremely good picks but I didn't try them because I feel I don't get how to use their gadgets effectively. Anyone can provide a basic insight on them and how you play them? I only know that Ela is a roamer and that Bandit/Jäger like to fuck around the map as well.

Ela is all rounded due to traps, but mainly roaming (not much of a reason to keep 3-speed users at obj). I'd imagine that placing 1-2 gadgets at objective entries is mandatory, while you use at least 1 for roaming or even near-entry spawn kill purposes. In the theme park stage for example, there is a one-line entry lane to 2f (has a ramp, "not" the one that puts you right at the mid-train area) that is perfect to deploy it, and you can just rush outside once it detonates and get 1 or more people at the very least.

Bandit Jager self-explanatory, mainly roamers. Jager is relatively easy, put some gadgets at sites where an enemy can't initially see (while being close to the entry point) where grenades/smokes (or Fuze's cluster charges, but he's not as strong of a pick in most cases) and play the basic game from there. Bandit, however, has a few roles. In some maps where the objective is upstairs, you can deploy barbed wire + electric charge at the peak of upper stairways so drones can get destroyed. Bandit also plays a role in electrocuting Thermite/Hibana charges from "outside" infiltrators (garages usually), which may require listening/Mira's gadget to react and deploy the gadget upon their breach placement (to prevent Thatcher from destroying the gadget preemptively)... in some cases, you can go autopilot and just spend a bit of time putting charge on one side, removing it, placing it to "another" side, removing it, and repeat.

Capitao is supposedly underwhelming to some people due to his weapon, but he's decent. For one, with the buff in smoke effects, it incredibly makes his gadget a lot strong for that purpose. Him + Glaz (maybe mandatory Thermite/Hibana + Thatcher) for outside infiltration is really strong, since you can lock out some regions of entry from the Flame ammo gadget, and cover the user planting the defuser from sights by the smoke gadget. The character is a 3-speed also, so can make out to be a good rusher.

Frost is debatable for use, but can work. Can work okay in some cases with Bandit to electrify shield/barbed wire next to her trap for instant kill... or can also work with Cav for interrogation via communication. What I usually like to do for aligning the shield setup is to do a 1/4 second quick barricade on the door → quick release (you don't put the barricade, instead you just align yourself), and move up slightly and plant the shield (and of course, the trap just behind it). Counters mindless roaming, and can also theoretically be used to cover your back from a good spot in defense (example, curvy stairways such as Skyscraper... the one where you can peak the outside from the bottom door while being at the stairs):
    um3uhAT.png

May post more stuff at another time : \... shortening Mira and Doc parts:

Mira's gadget can assist Bandit's line of sight for gadget placements, and her gadget can be used for peak advantages that the opponent don't have (as well as nitro charge detonation advantages)... but the team needs to know the setup (fortify one side of the wall, but leaving the one just on the side NOT fortified... helps to have a Jager cover special breach projectiles). Also, you cannot deploy a Mira gadget on a fortified wall from the back end (if someone fortified the wall AT THE HALLWAY, but you wanted to deploy the gadget AT THE FREEZER, it will not deploy at all since it only deploys on the side of the wall that it was fortified.)

Doc imo is meh, great for being one of the few users with an ACOG (at high light it might not make a difference), and... well can heal users who are hurt.
    Post edited by AceKombat on
    itzpookiie wrote: »
    NickRocks wrote: »

I don't think you want it as much as you say you do

ur right i dont. playing cod
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    edited December 3
    Who the fuck plays Call of Duty in 2017?

---

White Noise cannot come fast enough.
    i do
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    The Siege School videos from VarsityGaming are really well written, easy to understand and enjoyable to watch. They are all relatively recent which means there won't be many outdated informations or advices in there. It's really great to clean up your knowledge of the game. I'm happy I got almost every correct answer to the quizzes so far.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    its pathetic that this game has been out 2 years and theres no report function for toxic/tk
    and when you say something about it on ubi forums the reply is "record the footage and submit a ticket"

the fuck?
    Isn't the function to report toxic players gonna come out with next patch? It was up on TTS at least.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    edited December 4
    Isn't the function to report toxic players gonna come out with next patch? It was up on TTS at least.

yea it took them 2 years lol
    it wont solve tk problems though
    tk problems would be solved if they killed the reponsible player next round and suspend them if they leave 5 min within tking
    in casuals of course
    edited December 5
    Lawl double post
    Post edited by Heat_Sleep on
    I got my renown ready for the 3 ops
    I will probably play zofia a lot
    I don't mind 2 speed and stun grenade launcher is pretty op
    edited December 5
    Another club challenge that gives you a charm. This time with the Canadians. Sigh.
    Hopefully people will be too busy instalocking the new ops and will just let me play Buck and Frost.
    I'm glad the other ones involve the Germans and the Polish sisters because I wanted to invest more time in those operators.

Also White Noise patch downloading right now. Hype
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    Zofia stun triggering through proximity is a bit op

Also the smokes discussion

new map is way too big
    Zofia gun is really really strong
    Dokke is pretty good
    Vigil is a bit underwhelming on gadget side but his guns are good

Zofia gun with her gadget is definitely top tier
    Especially with the concussion grenades triggering through proximity and not impact
    What attachments do you use on the new operators' guns? People said Dok/Vigil's shotgun is OP but I find the SMG more effective and easier to use in most cases.
    Also I got the Buck keychain. Man the Canadian weapons suck ass
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    My new glasses are misaligned.
    No wonder I couldn't even fucking see Frost straight in front of me in the hallway yesterday
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file