The Thank You For The Memories Thread - Saying Goodbye to the Forums

Comments

• RX-78-3RX-78-3 Newport News Arcade OG Joined: Posts: 575
    We really need to get an archive going of all the great threads that are still up.

Hell, losing Tech Talk is going to be a huge blow alone. It was basically THE source for a LOT of FGC related tech data.
    :f::d::df:+:p:
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    Hopefully this place doesn't die. Finally bought material for a DIY viewlix.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,904
    *CvS2 Announcer* A new challenger has entered the teary-eyed circle jerk. You must crush them.

Joined post-09er era looking for competition in 3rd Strike while in college when Online Edition dropped. Turns out it was a dead game but I ended up finding competition in my state. Made many good friends cause of this site and hobby.

Overall, I was just an off and on poster who made lame zingers every once in a while, nothing special. I've met some GD members irl in and said what's up.

My only noteworthy thread was when I started a ban B-Tier Bison thread when I was bored writing an essay one night. Thread got closed but I wish it didn't. It would've been funny to see how badly my younger self was gonna get roasted LOL.

Tldr;
    See you all on the other side :tup:
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,997
    SFxT GD was lit for years and years.
  • Diek StiekemDiek Stiekem Team triple terror for MvCi Joined: Posts: 2,620 mod
    Lantis wrote: »
    The end of an era..... I have fond memories though, from Battle Polls to hosting MvC dlc polls... It was a great ride over the years people

We will always have the Battle Polls my dude....

The feels are real..

"Such Heroic Nonsense!"

PSN: DiekStiekem
    XBL: DiekStiekemSRK
  • ToomnyusernaeToomnyusernae Joined: Posts: 151
    edited January 9
    Didn't know about SRK and was still playing Alpha 2 and Third Strike finally learning the rest of the roster. Met some dudes at a video game concert who got me thinking more about learning strats rather than beating on the cpu introducing me to this site. When SFIV went online and SSFIV had a more stable online my love and appreciation opened up. And so we scatter back to our separate online clans and tribes. See y'all online wherever you go. I'll be continuing to grow my love for fighting games on my Fighter's Uprising series covering lesser known fighters. All the best fam.

Also, Smash will never be a fighting game to me.
  • aLeeaLee [] Guttah Trash [] Joined: Posts: 605
    Had to log in one last time and say shout out to the Image Mishmash OG's. Can't put into words how much I loved that sub forum. Can't believe it's been 13 years.... Thanks for the memories
    [] 3S dudley []
    [] MvC2 strider.doom.capcom/sent []

[] SSF IV DUDLEY all day []
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yuna wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get pilloried for this, but since the forums are going the way of the dodo, fuck it. I don't want to regret having not said it.

I joined SRK just shy of eleven years ago under my various 'Lobelia' usernames because I wanted people to play 3rd Strike with. Nobody (but nobody) in my local or state scene liked me because I was an obnoxious little shit and had no idea how to act or conduct myself socially. I was also really, really vocal about being transgender without actually taking any action toward a transition or even knowing how. I didn't exactly do the demographic as a whole any favors in the FGC, even though I thought I was some kind of fucking activist at the time. I still wasn't well-liked when I stopped posting regularly around 2011/2012 or so. My reputation seems to mostly be neutral now.

What I wasn't as vocal about then is that as annoying, abrasive, and even outright toxic as I was, it got me noticed by someone who ended up letting me live with her for bit (I'll avoid naming her specifically just for her privacy's sake). She and I lived together from 2008 to 2013, and she helped me very, very slowly become something vaguely resembling an adult. We bonded over fighting games, and upon moving in with her I made a number of friends under similar circumstances. My confidence grew, and by 2015 I'd actually started hormone therapy, surgical consultation, and psychological therapy, all of which I desperately needed.

I'm turning thirty this year. My name and gender are where I want them to be on a legal basis. I have a stable life, a lovely girlfriend, and the sweetest tits I've ever seen in my life. All of that success-- all of it-- can be traced back to all the stupid shit I said and all the mistakes that I made on this website. I made friends, enemies, and stories here that made me the woman I am today, maybe more so than any community of which I've ever been a part. If you read this and recognize the username, you might not have much positive to say about me, but I love myself right now, and I don't know that I still would if I hadn't come into my own right here.

Thank you, SRK.

that's how we do.
    source.gif

modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • JaldaboathJaldaboath SHOULDERCANNONSON Joined: Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Lantis wrote: »
    We will always have the Battle Polls my dude....

Shit, someone archive those!

And the Bauer Power Hour threads!

"One day, in a far off place, a small tribe witnessed a big animal, doing something different: walking on its hind legs. The scared tribe swore it was the devil, walking on land. That devil became the creature called Jaldaboath" - b1gazn
    2006 Most Fucked Up Battle Poll Champion: Vile

If you're looking for a USFIV updated mod, check out the "Mega Pack vol.2." And my dA page.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 12,033
    Unfortunately I said everything I needed to about this place a couple years ago in a version of the Lounge last time they were talking about closing the forums down. Looked back at my oldest posts for nostalgia. Came here in 2011, and it took me a full year to even fuck with GD. Kinda funny to think about how I'm not even the same person anymore. I started here looking to improve my Juri in SF4. Some broke fuck in high school with confidence issues and emotional problems. Now I'm a grown man with a stable job, an improved mentality and a better outlook on life.

To reflect all the changes I've made, I think this name is finally going to die here. Made it back for Counter Strike Source in junior and kinda kept it. Whatever end game solution people come up with for keeping this community alive, I'm going with a new title when we all move.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 937
    You should just call yourself TGG wherever you go so people can wonder at the mystery behind the legend...
  • SuicidalGrandpaSuicidalGrandpa Undeniably Free in 3S Joined: Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Mechanica wrote: »
    Snip

Ayy was going back through all my old posts, cringe included, and found the thread way back when you made me not one but two of my first avatars on here. Looking through old hdd’s to see if I still have them. GGs on Phantom Dust back in the day
    PSN: SGsrk
    SFV ID: BOOTYSWEAT69
  • AndymanAndyman Izuna Monster! Joined: Posts: 187
    Thanks for all the great tech! May SRK live forever in our hearts.
    Have you played my Claw yet? (It sucks)

www.youtube.com/namydna
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    edited January 9
    Andyman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great tech! May SRK live forever in our hearts.

Hopefully it can live at least a few more years and just be restructured onto a cheaper hosting service. This community while not as active as it once was still sees decent amount of dedicated traffic. Still don't think we need to throw the towel in yet.
    Post edited by Sephiroth73003 on
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I wish I still had my old Team Athena avatar for old times sake.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • MechanicaMechanica elias the flyest Joined: Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 10
    Mechanica wrote: »
    Snip

Ayy was going back through all my old posts, cringe included, and found the thread way back when you made me not one but two of my first avatars on here. Looking through old hdd’s to see if I still have them. GGs on Phantom Dust back in the day

yooooo <3 I saw your name earlier and immediately had a nostalgia trip! I was bummed to see any old avatars I made people are gone off imageshack or wherever I hosted em. that gives me an idea though I still have my old photobucket account I think!!

phantom dust was my favorite game evaaaaaa

aww nope no srk avatars on there, just ones from other forums
    KOForever WHY IS 14 SO UGLY whyyyy is alex's neutral stance so ugly why is SRK so ugly???/// it won't be SRK without the forums. RIP.
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 2,029
    Thanks to the Tech Talk thread I was able to build my own Happ stick, learn the difference in Sanwa and Seimitsu parts, try out new PCBs, learn how to solder SMD parts, built a stick that got shipped to the Philippines, learned to wet sand MDF, had more Dremel references than I ever had in my life, bought a hand plane (which I still need to get resharpened), at least 5 years of Secret Santa, spent more on a fightstick CASE than the price of a PS3 (and haven't told my wife how much) and connected with a bunch of like minded people that I still keep in contact with on and off the board. The site will be missed.

Thank you all.
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • DrChenDrChen Joined: Posts: 66
    Thanks for all the memories. SRK has been an amazing resource, I've read so much and met many people because of it. The discussions, articles (S-Kill), debates (Superman vs Goku), shitposting, amazing Tech Talk, and fighting game tech/obscure game tier lists are all things I'll never forget. I feel like I'm losing a part of who I was growing up, it's very bittersweet.

Wanted to give a shoutout to everyone I've met online and off, Nohoho (ST RIP), Mummy-B (CvS2 RIP). Thanks for everything SRK and thanks to all the users too. If there's a forum migration, I'll be there.
    DrChen
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,071
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,071
    snip

I don't think we ever got along, but fucked if I'm not happy to hear this. :tup:
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,780 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm probably going to get pilloried for this, but since the forums are going the way of the dodo, fuck it. I don't want to regret having not said it.

I joined SRK just shy of eleven years ago under my various 'Lobelia' usernames because I wanted people to play 3rd Strike with. Nobody (but nobody) in my local or state scene liked me because I was an obnoxious little shit and had no idea how to act or conduct myself socially. I was also really, really vocal about being transgender without actually taking any action toward a transition or even knowing how. I didn't exactly do the demographic as a whole any favors in the FGC, even though I thought I was some kind of fucking activist at the time. I still wasn't well-liked when I stopped posting regularly around 2011/2012 or so. My reputation seems to mostly be neutral now.

What I wasn't as vocal about then is that as annoying, abrasive, and even outright toxic as I was, it got me noticed by someone who ended up letting me live with her for bit (I'll avoid naming her specifically just for her privacy's sake). She and I lived together from 2008 to 2013, and she helped me very, very slowly become something vaguely resembling an adult. We bonded over fighting games, and upon moving in with her I made a number of friends under similar circumstances. My confidence grew, and by 2015 I'd actually started hormone therapy, surgical consultation, and psychological therapy, all of which I desperately needed.

I'm turning thirty this year. My name and gender are where I want them to be on a legal basis. I have a stable life, a lovely girlfriend, and the sweetest tits I've ever seen in my life. All of that success-- all of it-- can be traced back to all the stupid shit I said and all the mistakes that I made on this website. I made friends, enemies, and stories here that made me the woman I am today, maybe more so than any community of which I've ever been a part. If you read this and recognize the username, you might not have much positive to say about me, but I love myself right now, and I don't know that I still would if I hadn't come into my own right here.

Thank you, SRK.

ysCUYIJ.gif

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
  • RudeAwakeningRudeAwakening Joined: Posts: 57
    I just remember being the reason Septimus Prime quit/got banned over Eks Bawks 360.

Fun times.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    In twenty two days this forums is closing its doors. After close to two decades worth of operation, countless tournaments, events, gatherings, sessions, new game launches, old game revivals, money matches, west coast / east coast rivalry, national rivalry, global rivalry, we have really seen it all. I've been here for FIFTEEN GOD DAMN YEARS, and I've been a pain in the ass at some points, and haven't really been around all that much recently but god damn did I ever love my time here. The people I met here, friends I made, and so much more was all worth it signing up for it with this stupid handle people STILL call me by even now. Entire communities have had their start here from just one thread in Fighting Game Discussion, and many of the big names sitting pretty with a 3 lettered abbreviation behind their name were once just as much of a part of these stomping grounds as much as the rest of us.

So I'm making this thread to give everyone that chance to remember all the wonderful times and people that came from this place. Reach in there and grab that wonderful memory and give it a big fat bear hug. Good or bad, throw it on the table and enjoy it, our time is almost up!

<3

4neqs here, somehow managed to get a name change w/o premium

You ever finish the Bleach manga/catch up with One Piece? I kinda remember the old IRC channels and I think you asked for those. I do miss the weekly manga threads back when I really actively read those.

"The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • PerthoPertho Capt of Team #Hellspawn Joined: Posts: 22,823 mod

yoooo
    seriously though, if MP loves sucking dick it ain't wrong and it is better than his marriage

I stand by what I said. :rofl:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • StockyJamStockyJam beat me like the bitch that i am Joined: Posts: 6,055

Thank you, SRK.

you are very welcome Ricki Ortiz
    Pertho wrote: »

yoooo
    seriously though, if MP loves sucking dick it ain't wrong and it is better than his marriage

I stand by what I said. :rofl:

It made going to Evo 2017 salty suites all the more interesting for me.

DSC_0259.jpg
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Missing Person
    homie, you have the some of the best adventures in the same league as Viscant lolololol
    i also remember that time you were having waifu issues and you were holding down a teaching job
    shit was insightful, dreadful and hilarious like a fucking roller coaster.
    good times and peace out.

also:
    rcaido's wife is filipino
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • ZazzariusZazzarius Shaaaaaaaa! Joined: Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i feel so many regrets right now. :sad:
    "Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts,
    with barest wrists and stoutest boasts,
    he thrusts his fists against the posts,
    and still insists he sees the ghosts."
  • PerthoPertho Capt of Team #Hellspawn Joined: Posts: 22,823 mod
    Man...I go to write at least one awesome thing for SRK:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/180383/a-litany-of-hate-what-makes-us-survive-remembering-sam-sanders

Don't think I've would've legitimately done that for any other community.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    tataa8P wrote: »
    @Missing Person
    homie, you have the some of the best adventures in the same league as Viscant lolololol
    i also remember that time you were having waifu issues and you were holding down a teaching job
    shit was insightful, dreadful and hilarious like a fucking roller coaster.
    good times and peace out.

also:
    rcaido's wife is filipino

I'm glad I got to share some of my Korea and China hijinx with you guys. Was fun, also SRK helped keep me sane during that time.

That night where I was drunk posting in the mafia game I was running because some Russian girls liquored me up in Seoul was a GDLK moment.
  • SnowmanSnowman Joined: Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So I'm making this thread to give everyone that chance to remember all the wonderful times and people that came from this place. Reach in there and grab that wonderful memory and give it a big fat bear hug. Good or bad, throw it on the table and enjoy it, our time is almost up!

<3
    I just wanted to thank you for the inclusion of myself when you ran TLK. I know it was just a silly little forum thing, as the Avatar factions were a thing 11/12 years ago, but I never really belonged to any groups of the sort so to be a part of that meant more than you'd think.
    I may not have been the most active here, or on the IRC channels but I was always here. Really gonna miss this place.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 837
    edited January 10
    SRK I just wanted to thank you for these wonderful forums. I am not angry at you guys because I know these things happen. I will miss it dearly and I sincerely hope the close nit community on this forum finds another place to call home.

I believe I joined when I started playing SF4. These forums helped nurture my passion and knowledge for SF by seeing all the other people here who cared so much about the game as well. You've done a special thing in helping the community grow SRK. Shen Long bless you.
    Get Serious!

SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 3500

SF4: main char: Fei Long
  • YunaYuna SRK'S Social Justice Cleric Joined: Posts: 7,592
    StockyJam wrote: »

I'm not Ricki Ortiz.
    I'd hit that, though.
    "You can go ahead and cry about SJWs at this point if you like (I know some of you will), but it's not that I'm against boobs and asses and vaginas and cocks and all that. Love 'em! Genitals? Brilliant. Love lookin' at human genitalia. I love to watch genitals just poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it... poundin' it..."
    --Jim Sterling
  • odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    StockyJam wrote: »

I'm not Ricki Ortiz.
    I'd hit that, though.

Are you gonna get gender reassignment?
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Pertho wrote: »
    Man...I go to write at least one awesome thing for SRK:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/180383/a-litany-of-hate-what-makes-us-survive-remembering-sam-sanders

Don't think I've would've legitimately done that for any other community.

I wrote something similar back when the front page first started and we still had that weird individual blog feature. Buddy of mine just randomly died at my house while we were playing IV. I found out later it was basically a heart attack because a blood clot in his leg moved up to his heart. RIP Everett Chavez Brooks

Btw, where did the IV forums move to, or were they deleted? I want to see if anyone might be in the C.Viper sub.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file