[SR$2k Dev Thread] I'll set up an SRK successor board if you guys need one.

Comments

• chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,399
    I vote for calling it TatsumakiSenpukyaku.com.

You can use my drawing of Ken doing a Tatsu in a dark alley as the logo. It was submitted to the last MS Paint Whisperers game and immediately taken down by mean old @Pertho .
    Hecatom wrote: »
    chadouken turning each day that passes into assffinity jr. SMFH
  • NoJohnsNoJohns WHINING FOOLS BEGONE! Joined: Posts: 42
    chadouken! wrote: »

You can use my drawing of Ken doing a Tatsu in a dark alley as the logo. It was submitted to the last MS Paint Whisperers game and immediately taken down by mean old @Pertho .

I'm gonna make a forum and just call it FlowchartKen.com
    PSN: JOKERSHENCHMAN
    Steam ID: BOSS GHOST
    Twitter: NoJohnz
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 24,714
    What's the SRK discord also?

Which one?
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Bunkei wrote: »

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Vanilla forums, as there seems to be bugs that still haven't been fixed yet (like posts remaining in the quick reply field even after the post is made). phpBB is one of the oldest open source php-based forum software, and certainly the most used. I also think that from a customization standpoint, phpBB certainly will have that in spades over Vanilla forums (which I never heard of until SRK started using it). I've used it for the past 5 years on multiple sites and have been very pleased.

I'm not worried about the migration. The guy I would use is one of the lead developers and has done migrations of this size and complexity so often he can do it in his sleep.

I'm all for using phpBB if I need to -- whatever works best. I'm currently balls deep in Vanilla, which I chose because it is used by many large companies and has a modern design that makes theming a bit easier than traditional forums. I'll keep playing with it for now but if I keep finding issues I'll take another look at phpBB.

• AzureAzure Inciteful. Joined: Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    NoJohns wrote: »
    Tom Cannon put up a poll on Twitter today asking if people serious about keeping the forums around would be willing to give to a Patreon or something of the like.

As of right now with nearly 1000 votes, the results are 73% no, 27% yes.

Bad sign for anybody still holding out hope for SRK living past the end of the month.

I find it mind boggling that the cannons will talk to people on Twitter, Reddit and IRC but not the site they created.

They want it to die.

Can we just call it as it is?
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • AzureAzure Inciteful. Joined: Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    Pertho wrote: »
    DANZAN wrote: »
    someone tell this Tom cannon guy to go fuck his mothr

Yeah...lets start talking to the site owner by telling him to eat a dick. That'll totally help.

I agree.

Counterpoint:

It can't kill the forum twice.
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • DANZANDANZAN Allow you to LIVE. Joined: Posts: 6,693
    *snort* *snort*

everyone shuddup and go back 2 sleep

bitch noobs

• RanmaRanma Joined: Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 11
    Cathrao wrote: »
    The logo is one thing, but what about the name? Wouldn't calling it SRK bring the same possible legal issues? Last thing we'd wanna see is the new forum getting estabilished, only to get shutdown for an oversight like this.

I'm a bit clueless about this, just wondering...

SRK is just a nickname so it doesn't matter. And if anything , Capcom owns the rights to "Shoryuken". What you have to avoid is using content copyrighted by Shoryuken.com, and/or custom images tailored for it.

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,353
    edited January 11
    How about splitting the board up into different sites if that's easier to maintain for the time being, then just link them all together at some point. General discussion and tech talk can be its own site. Fighting game discussions and Matchmaking can be another sites.

Or can't we just just donate money every month. How much does it cost to maintain SRK per month, was it 2k?
    Post edited by Sexperienced. on
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    edited January 11
    ShinShoryuken.com, I think has a better fit.
    How about splitting the board up into different sites if that's easier to maintain for the time being, then just link them all together at some point. General discussion and tech talk can be it own site. Fighting game discussions and Matchmaking can be another sites.

Or can't we just just donate money every month. How much does it cost to maintain SRK per month, was it 2k?

Tom's poll ends tomorrow, about 550 on twitter said they'd contribute which is like $4 a month. Hopefully, we will hear more than. I'd like to restructure so 50-100 with $5-10 premium could keep it afloat. There is no reason SRK couldn't run on $500-600 a month.

Splitting shouldn't really make a big difference, it wold just fragment the community and make more costs. Best to keep stuff together, imo.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • CathraoCathrao Cheeky lil bugger Joined: Posts: 700
    make new board name corny: downrightfierce.com

DRF represent. :rofl:

Edit: Not gonna lie now, DownRightFierce sounds kinda dope.

I...kinda dig that.
    Steam ID: Cathrao | SFV: Sakura? | T7: Lili/Feng
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Although its a noble idea if you will to create a new site. I think if SRK dies.. SRK dies. Even if its SRK 2.0 or something. The chances of it 'working' are slim in my eyes.

Its the brand I think if you will. Its recognizable. Think of street fighter as a whole. Lets be honest here... do you think all street fighter games, have been better than all SNK games? Or any number of games from other companies that have come out? But street fighter lives in the thoughts of the masses because of its legacy, the brand itself.

And shoryuken.com I think in a way IS a brand as well. The idea of shoryuken.com will always be in the thoughts of I think of most of the FGC even if street fighter is not their favorite game.

Again I think its a noble idea and cool, but if its not actually shoryuken, I think its gonna take a lot of luck for it to work. Because I think most people would be like you know. Its over dude.. its ok. SRK no doubt is not the site it use to be when I was a kid and first coming here. Hell but STREET FIGHTER is not even street fighter anymore either. But its the idea of it that is still in us that make us come back and give it another shot. Or well at least sometimes.

Maybe just like arcades its one of those things that hey dude, they just dont exisit anymore. I dont really give a fuck about reddit, discord, twitter. And I think the whole idea of saying there is no need for a general hub of information is complete nonsense. But what are you gonna do?

And on another note personally id like to know what people are gonna do for big things like EVO and other tournaments. Isnt that always synonymous with SRK as well? I already think the idea that people are just gonna come to SRK for the news is iffy as it is. But id wonder if this is gonna hurt the "EVO" brand if you will as well.
  • djseiferdjseifer Joined: Posts: 27
    odin wrote: »
    Call it Hadoken.com.

Take it to its logical conclusion - tigeruppercut.com.

I don't post here very much, but there's a wealth of information here that you just can't find anywhere else sometimes. I'd really hate to see this place go.
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,353
    edited January 11
    Is there a way to archive every single thread on SRK if we eventually decide to shut it down? I wonder how large that file would be considering that some threads go back almost 10 years.

I say forget about starting a new site at such short notice. Lets cover the costs with donations for at least 4 more months. By that time we might figure out how to keep the site running with offering donations.

I think SRK needs an official Youtube channel, like a fighting game version of IGN.
  • DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,098
    I second shinshoryuken.com
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    make new board name corny: downrightfierce.com

DRF represent. :rofl:

Edit: Not gonna lie now, DownRightFierce sounds kinda dope.

WEEEERK!

rupaul2_wide-6211f0229556ccf3520e956af73b8a4961d912c6-s800-c85.jpg
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Be honest. How many of you even paid attention to the facebook status update feature that Vanilla has? I didn't even realize it was there until it came time to skin it....maybe I shouldn't even bother and just remove it?

wipstatus.jpg
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,293 mod
    edited January 11
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,542
    edited January 11
    Is there a way to archive every single thread on SRK if we eventually decide to shut it down? I wonder how large that file would be considering that some threads go back almost 10 years.

I say forget about starting a new site at such short notice. Lets cover the costs with donations for at least 4 more months. By that time we might figure out how to keep the site running with offering donations.

I think SRK needs an official Youtube channel, like a fighting game version of IGN.

Nah I went on that IRC with the people running the site, the general vibe was "We don't give a fuck about the forums anymore"

And so far we've had one hosting company offer to host the SRK forums for $120 a month and several experts saying it's fucking crazy for it to be costing 2k a month even with Vanilla.

Between a group who no longer care about the forums and have either been shockingly inept ar running them at best or who are lying to us at worst and passionate people frenticly putting in work to migrate our community elsewhere and keep it alive I know who to throw my hat in with.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 5,036
    If you guys want to have SRK forums archived, ask one of the owners to get a database dump of the current forums. Vanilla uses MySQL and there are ways to get full database backups that will be in one (or a few) large files. Then if there was another Vanilla forum setup somewhere, you could just import the database backup. And if Vanilla isn't being used, there could be scripts that are written to make the backup database to whatever schema the new forum is using. That would require a decent amount of work but in theory it should be doable.

If you can migrate all of that stuff over, you would have all the user accounts and threads instantly in a new forum. But the key is getting that database dump which who knows if that is something they would even allow others to have access to at this point. It seems like the owners don't give a shit so I don't see why they would even care other than being power trippy.
    I think @Sephiroth73003 tried to get it off Mr Wizard on the IRC last night and Mr Wizard was convinced it couldn't be done with Vanilla.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 11
    @bchan009 making a new site can always be done, but migrating current SRK forums or at least the important one GD is limited by time, I'd be happy to contribute what time and money I can. but please give data migration priority, we need to keep the history alive!

And I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this thread has me cautiously optimistic, maybe this isn't the end after all.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    Iduno wrote: »
    I think @Sephiroth73003 tried to get it off Mr Wizard on the IRC last night and Mr Wizard was convinced it couldn't be done with Vanilla.

That what couldn't be done with Vanilla? A database dump couldn't be gotten?
    I think so
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    Well he's 100% wrong.

I know computer illiterate people know things are stored in the "cloud" but does he think it's some magical fluffy cloud floating around in the sky that he can't reach or something?
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    edited January 11
    Iduno wrote: »

Mr. Wizard didn't really answer other than say an archive would be created. I reached out to vanilla to see if a database dump would be possible if Tom asked for it or if it would be part of the archive and have not heard back yet.

I'm a professional full stack developer, if I can get a copy would like to assist some sort of migration. Even if it is in an archive section.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • Darklightjg1Darklightjg1 Dr. SuessLight Joined: Posts: 3,930
    edited January 11
    chadouken! wrote: »

I vote to call it WakeUpJab.com to reflect what we've devolved evolved into over the years!
    My twitch channel (Action, Platformers, RPGs and Fighting games): twitch.tv/darklightjg1

My Sonic hack (shameless plug): http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3938
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,349
    Call it EXSRK.com
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• Leon63Leon63 Joined: Posts: 9,966
    Shoryuken2.
  • BMsirhc1313BMsirhc1313 I'm 0ld Joined: Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    JabAA.com
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,222
    d3v wrote: »
    Call it NeoSRK.com just for shits and giggles.

This would be great^
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,904
    omaewamoushindeiru.com
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • TorpidTorpid Joined: Posts: 99
    I would be interested.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file