[SR$2k Dev Thread] I'll set up an SRK successor board if you guys need one.

bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 890
edited February 16 in General Discussion
I've got plenty of resources. If you guys don't want to give up and use reddit/discord then please post in this thread. If interest is high enough I'll try to have a new board set up by the end of the week! Please post feature requests also -- I'll be shopping for appropriate forum software.

EDIT: SRK has been saved, but I'm going to keep developing this anyway. I'll use this thread to post dev updates.

Current Status:

[ done ] animated avatars
[ done ] upvote system
[ done ] main theme
[ done ] stage select (theme selector)
[ wip ] themes
[ wip ] UI tweaks

===

2/16/18:

Pretty big code update today, but if I've done my job properly you guys shouldn't really notice a difference.

Lots of tweaks to how themes handle different font sizes. It should be much easier for me to scale/change all the fonts on the site at once now. This is important for creating more advanced themes/tweaking the mobile layout.

As always, report any bugs you guys find!

===

2/14/18:
Wanted to even out the number of light and dark themes, so here's the latest one!

mvc_stage7_preview.png

MvC really had some great art. <3

===

2/13/18 pt2:

Moved to a new host. E-mail system should work properly again.

Reaction counts on posts were reset as a result of the server move, but everything else should have transitioned over seamlessly.

===

1/25/18:
More theme stuff:

- New fonts
- Removed rounded edges
- Mobile theme tweaks

===

1/24/18 pt3:

Seems like some people were viewing cached, old versions of the site. This should be fixed now. Everyone should be getting the latest version the next time they visit.

===

1/24/18 pt2:

- More minor theme fixes
- Indicators for threads with new posts
- Search bar for mobile view

===

1/24/18:

No more shitty mobile themes!

The new mobile theme is fully featured and can do everything that the full size site does. Should be easy to use -- let me know if you find any bugs or have any problems!

Big top menus:

Screenshot_20180124-034557.png

Avatars, sigs, images, reactions...everything works on mobile:

Screenshot_20180124-034636.png

Stage selector working just fine:

Screenshot_20180124-034712.png

===

1/22/18 part 2:

More minor theme fixes.

draftpreview.png

One thing I have heard people complain about is how Vanilla forum saves their drafts in the comment window, and they have to keep deleting it every time. This is NOT a bug. Vanilla forum actually has a 'drafts' section where you can manage all your saved drafts. The problem is that the theme SRK uses does not actually have a link to this page.

My theme does not have this problem. Click the pencil at any time to manage your drafts!

draftspreview2.jpg

1/22/18:
- Changed Vanilla Forum versions
- Theme tweaks
- Added reactions/user ranks
- Removed voter system

Reactions are working. Still deciding what kind of ranks I want. Badge system for special members will be set up later. =)

===

1/20/18:
- HTML e-mails now active (clickable links in e-mails!)
- Emoji guide added to site rules/info

Site uses the standard twitter emojis - see how to type them below:

Twitter_Emoji-5.png?t=1516385241778

===

1/19/18:
- Theme tweaks
- New e-mail system!

I have moved over to a new e-mail system that should help keep srk2.com e-mails from being marked as spam. There should be no more problems receiving verification e-mails now. Required a tiny monthly fee, but definitely worth it to make sure e-mails work!

This should no longer be a problem -- but if you have not received a confirmation e-mail please PM me. I will confirm you manually!

===

1/18/18 (part 2):

Ok. Forums are open FOR REAL THIS TIME.

If you made an account before please remake it. Your confirmation e-mail should arrive this time. Look for it in your spam folder if you don't see it for a while.

1/18/18:

Forums now open!
- Working out e-mail bugs. Please wait. =[

Today's updates:

- Moved to quality hosting solution
- Easy-to-read URLs
- SSL certificate for encrypted login
- UI/optimization tweaks
- Stage Select button added to the top of the screen
- New KOF '94 Japan stage theme:

kof94_japan_icon.jpg

Feel free to post over there and let me know if there are any bugs!

https://srk2.com

===

1/17/18 (part 2):

- Tweaked dark theme
- CSS/javascript cleanup/optimization
- Animated upvote buttons
- Cleaner post score display
- User title displayed under avatar
- Images allowed in signatures
- Flag button added to posts

I think board is feature complete now. I'm about ready to do a database wipe and open it up to people. I'll probably make a few more themes, but then we're ready to go.

1/17/18: I finished all 4 themes. I'm still not happy with the dark one.

themepreview.jpg

Stage Select has been updated! Animated joystick buttons + stage name display have been added.

stageselectv2.jpg

Now stage selector closes automatically / brings you to top of the screen once you've selected a theme.

===

1/15/18: Theme switcher is working! Now taking requests for color schemes / your favorite fighting game stages. I'll focus on styling the text/site colors for each theme now. You can try it out for yourself @ http://srk2.com !

theme_explanation.jpg
Post edited by bchan009 on

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,078
    bchan009 wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    There's a ton of people trying to do this. I know Paradise Arcade Shop and Jasen's Customs have both stepped forward and talked to Wiz about keeping at least parts of the board alive. IMO, everyone interested in doing this should all get together instead of having a dozen or so successor boards springing up.

If you can help me get in touch with these people that would be great!

Why? They both are active on SRK.
    Go Message them yourself.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • EphidelEphidel 02 OG Joined: Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Azure wrote: »
    If it has Animated Avatars and Steel Blue, you have a strong case.

very strong case
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel
    Discord: Ephidel
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 890
    Darksakul wrote: »
    d3v wrote: »
    There's a ton of people trying to do this. I know Paradise Arcade Shop and Jasen's Customs have both stepped forward and talked to Wiz about keeping at least parts of the board alive. IMO, everyone interested in doing this should all get together instead of having a dozen or so successor boards springing up.

If you can help me get in touch with these people that would be great!

Why? They both are active on SRK.
    Go Message them yourself.

Sent PMs to both of them already. :)
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX V-ISM BOB SAGAT 30th Anniversary Joined: Posts: 18,116
    edited January 9
    @ OP

Can get the one SRK is not allowed to have because that 8wayrunguy who made it fucking hates Wizard!

Said to be baller, work real good too.
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,396
    edited January 9
    If there needs to be a donation drive or a professional web developer with SQL/Web Programming skills would be of any assistance let me know. Not familiar with Vanilla forums but we have an idea what platform we want to move too I'd be willing to help contribute migrating something. I'd be definitely willing to throw a bit of cash at the problem also. While I think the forum could get trimmed down, I'm don't think it's at the point it needs to die. Several threads still get a couple pages a day, others get a couple pages on key days when the shows they are associated with them have a new episode, and I know a lot of threads I still look up a few times a month.

If it's archived I'd definitely want to try to migrate a couple threads in tech talk & tier for obscure games even if it isn't the initial launch. That shit is a treasure. I think it would be best if it was still linked from the main SRK page just because having a centralized hub is just an experience that really would suck to be lost, but if the Wiz and Inkblot aren't up for that it is their site.

Maybe could do premium memberships and have a monthly bar like Reddit does with reddit gold so people get an idea of the problem. Also less obtrusive ads that don't take over your screen might not be a massive influx of money but be better than nothing.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • RockStarLifeRockStarLife Joined: Posts: 17
    edited January 9
    our ad blockers killed the forums. true story bros.
  • NeclordNeclord Joined: Posts: 4,487
    Just name the price, I will help keeping SRK alive with monthly donations.
    If there needs to be a donation drive or a professional web developer with SQL/Web Programming skills would be of any assistance let me know. Not familiar with Vanilla forums but we have an idea what platform we want to move too I'd be willing to help contribute migrating something. I'd be definitely willing to throw a bit of cash at the problem also. While I think the forum could get trimmed down, I'm don't think it's at the point it needs to die. Several threads still get a couple pages a day, others get a couple pages on key days when the shows they are associated with them have a new episode, and I know a lot of threads I still look up a few times a month.

If it's archived I'd definitely want to try to migrate a couple threads in tech talk & tier for obscure games even if it isn't the initial launch. That shit is a treasure. I think it would be best if it was still linked from the main SRK page just because having a centralized hub is just an experience that really would suck to be lost, but if the Wiz and Inkblot aren't up for that it is their site.

Maybe could do premium memberships and have a monthly bar like Reddit does with reddit gold so people get an idea of the problem. Also less obtrusive ads that don't take over your screen might not be a massive influx of money but be better than nothing.

I feel like subs would drive most people away. I was really surprised that SRK was using such an expensive corporate solution with such a high monthly cost. I imagine unless we are being forced to use Vanilla at the new location it would be much better to run a fast, light, and more economical piece of software -- preferably on shared hosting or servers run by the new owners.

Vanilla is a cloud service used for companies and sites that have MUCH more traffic than SRK. (Adobe, etc.)
  • EphidelEphidel 02 OG Joined: Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    our ad blockers killed the forums. true story bros.

Premium also disabled the ads though, again that’s just bad marketing to take premium away if it were a funding issue

Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel
    Discord: Ephidel
    angelpalm wrote: »
    Premium for animated avatars and no ads. How hard is that?

Depending on how much bandwidth the site uses, my alternative wasn't even going to have ads. My hosting is already paid up until 2026 anyway. n_n

Now that fewer people use the boards I don't think server costs will be as bad.
  • RAWGutsRAWGuts Joined: Posts: 4
    I am interested in supporting this community staying together and alive. Whether we keep this forum or migerate to somewhere else. Who knows after something like this might bring us closer together in the end.
  • RAW_GutsRAW_Guts Joined: Posts: 972
    ^ Is me couldnt sign out before.
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 735
    What is the SRK discord group.
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 12,062
    edited January 9
    SRK is a big forum but honestly I'm thinking that if you can keep GD, Techtalk, and maybe Mish mash(?) You'll probably have scooped up most of the reasons people come here. Everything else can be rebuilt. Come summer time I'll be getting an assload of over time so I'll be willing to kick in a couple bucks if need be.

As for gd you probably don't need to keep it all. I'd wager from the stickied posts about 5 pages back is likely sufficient.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
    Gamogo wrote: »
    I recommend Simple Machines if you were to break away with a clean slate.

http://simplemachines.org

It's a lean, no bullshit forum application that runs on a simple LAMP stack. Easy to maintain, regular updates, decent developer support by way of plugins and extensions, supports most if not all of the expected features this very Vanilla Forums offering uses and has a familiar/standard UI. It's also open source and free.

However, perhaps the main challenge with respect to SRK is historical preservation. There's a myriad of content and account export options into various destination forums, though a good approach might be to simply take ownership of the existing instance SRK currently owns and transfer it to a new owner and quite literally continue as is. To cover running/hosting costs, I expect an annual (or bi-annual) donation drive would satisfy this and you could use the recent shutdown announcement as a reminder of what can happen if you were not supported by the remaining community in the future.

It sucks that this place has an axe hanging over it's head. Reddit and Discord are inferior replacements to the traditional forum format that this community relies on for a substantial amount of persistent discussion, historical presevation and niche sub-categories some of our lesser known (but certainly not less important) FGC comrades hang out in. There's certainly some dead areas that could get the clip, but there's a wealth of very active areas that would greatly appreciate a roof kept over their head.

Killing the forums off outright I feel is very premature and reflects a decision made by those who are no longer regulars. Many of us still are. There is a genuine vibe, tone and community sense within these walls that isn't available anywhere else and will be difficult to recapure or transfer elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now I'm looking at Codoforum/Discourse/Xenforo/Simple Machines.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,395 mod
    @ OP

Can get the one SRK is not allowed to have because that 8wayrunguy who made it fucking hates Wizard!

Said to be baller, work real good too.

Xenforo
    po pimpus wrote: »
    First thing a new site owner should do is get as far the fuck away from Vanilla as humanly possible.

Fuck Vanilla.

Could you please explain why you hate vanilla?
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,976
    Vanilla, for what it costs sure seems to lack a lot of features that most forums have, such as a functional ignore feature, and customization options.
    Also, from the multitude of times I've seen Preppy complain about shit, it seems to lack functional tools for moderation and administration as well.

Really seems like its not worth the hassle. Not when Xenforo and v-bulletin are available.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX SRK's ResidentSleeper Joined: Posts: 12,062
    po pimpus wrote: »
    First thing a new site owner should do is get as far the fuck away from Vanilla as humanly possible.

Fuck Vanilla.

Could you please explain why you hate vanilla?

We went through about a solid year and a half of this forum being buggy as shit when Wiz swapped it from Xenforo to Vanilla. Plus things like no animated avs.

Truth be told I like vanilla to a degree because it's mobile version is pretty simple. But yeah the whole software itself has a stigma here after that software transition fiasco.
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK
  • WeeksWeeks Push Custom™ Joined: Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    it has to look clean, and minimally moderated.
    Americans can be relied upon to do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options.
    -Churchill
    Waiting to hear more news from Jasen, but for now doing some...research.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070104165528/http://forums.shoryuken.com:80/

n_n
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck yeah I'm in.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • ParasiteZParasiteZ Joined: Posts: 57
    You have my sword
  • keomakeoma Joined: Posts: 2
    How about setting up a patreon?
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Registering interest in the forums. o/
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • AkhosAkhos Joined: Posts: 23,397
    I'm all for this as well.