SRK Discussion on Twitter: Costs 2K to Run SRK Monthly

PerthoPertho Capt of Team #HellspawnJoined: Posts: 22,825 mod

So there you go, if you want to save SRK go on twitter and let The cannons know.
Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
jimmy1200 wrote: »
pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.

Comments

• BlindknaggBlindknagg Cute Ultra Lovable Thot Joined: Posts: 4,021
    (> ̄▽ ̄)> nigga this
    nigga that
    <( ̄▽ ̄<)
  • DaemosDaemos Survival of the Strong Joined: Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @Pertho for President.

I'd pay for Premium again in a heartbeat. But I think they really ought to consider finding ways to reduce costs. Also some attention and transparency here would be nice. Not all SRK users are twitter users, those polls are rigged.
    I FEEL IT WITHIN MY BODY!
  • RanmaRanma Joined: Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 10
    Like I said in the other thread... I'm down for $20 a month if SRK goes back to vbulletin or xenforo, gets better themes, premium/patreon supporter perks like galaga shields and whatnot. And $20 is a lot considering that sites bigger than SRK run just fine at $200 month. Otherwise, I got $1 a month tops for the bullshit we currently have. SRK deserves better. If the staff cares about the community, then they need to start letting the people make the community better if they aren't gonna do it themselves. There are knowledgeable and skilled people here who are willing to make the things I mentioned above happen for free, strictly for the community... let those people in. If the staff doesn't want the hassle of being in touch with those people then appoint a willing mod here to be the one to do it. There are too many willing members here for any excuses at this point.
  • SuicidalGrandpaSuicidalGrandpa Undeniably Free in 3S Joined: Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I’d be inclined to go back to purchasing Premium if they cut cost via swapping back to not-vanilla, bring some of the old flavor back which was completely fine in my opinion. I’d def consider patreon too. I’m glad they’re open to some options :tup:
    PSN: SGsrk
    SFV ID: BOOTYSWEAT69
  • PerthoPertho Capt of Team #Hellspawn Joined: Posts: 22,825 mod
    It isn't like we're gonna get questions answered here either. Pretty sure the last place anybody wants to show up to answer questions is, ironically, SRK.

That's probably the strangeness of it all. Dudes in IRC will talk all day about shitty SRK dying because fuck it, nobody will bring discussion to the community being affected.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

Is that software any good?
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 4,277
    Not sure, but clearly worth checking out.
  • Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My guess is that $2000 a month includes all costs, including paying any kind of staff such as server admins, writers, etc. Still, that seems like a crazy amount. A forum should be a small fraction of that $2000, so if they want to cut costs, why cut the forums?
    Front page and forums are on diff servers. This is strictly servers.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

• AzureAzure Inciteful. Joined: Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭ Former OG
    If that's the case, this is a true WHAT THE FUCK. How the hell does a text based server cost TWO GRAND A MONTH to maintain?

This is a very good question.

@MeestaWarzard
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.

eSports is fucking retarded.
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yeah i just noticed the posting software doesnt even allow image upload, its just image URL. so its literally just storing and serving up text. and you can track latest posts in "Whats news" and you can see we get barely 1 post per minute. either they are massive incompetent, lying their ass off, or both
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    Reticently wrote: »

There offering is super barebones. It doesn't even seem to offer categories.

My issue is Vanilla gives $1,200 for a million page views a month. Your telling me we get over a million page views but it isn't worth saving? That seems backwards.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • flickyflicky Why do people run from me? Joined: Posts: 980
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SRK have a monthly donation goal of $250 to help keep the servers running maybe about ten years ago? I vaguely remember there being a progress bar at the top of the main page.

I agree, clearly the owners don't give a fuck, not even enough fucks to raise some money and cut their own personal costs down, that's so many fucks not given it's idiotic.
  • Sacr3DSacr3D Yummy Yummy Donuts! Joined: Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 11
    Mcribs taxes bro
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 11
    Ephidel wrote: »
    Go back to vbulletin
    Bring back premium
    Bring back rep so I can burn some of these 09ers that escaped the holocaust
    160 x 100 av
    Animated optional
    Premium banner on top of the names

MAKE SRK GREAT AGAIN!

I would gladly support the site, I had to sign up to stupid twitter to vote in their bullshit poll. 2K seems really out of line though. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS POLL NOT ON SRK?
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • El Chupa NegroEl Chupa Negro WALKING PARADOX Joined: Posts: 3,432
    Evo and e sport money looking funny in the light
    Jeet Kune Do was all about using what worked and discarding the crap. Fei Long is crap... discard him. A real Jeet Kune Do man plays Dudley.-xS A M U R A Ix
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Daemos wrote: »

holy shit the codinghorror dude even responded looooool
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
  • ~Mirage~~Mirage~ `Isn't the LEAST bit Machiavellian. Honest. Joined: Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Korbidon wrote: »
    Also i would like to see a breakdown of that $2000 because that sounds like a lie or an exaggeration. I'm guessing they are conviently intermixing the cost of the website.

I didn't wanna be the one to say it, even though I'm sure many others got the same impression as soon as 2k/monthly was mentioned. Not hard to imagine someone's pockets were getting lined. Whether those pockets were on the Vanilla software side or the SRK administration side is beyond me. Probably shouldn't rule out the possibility that Cannon mentioned a higher dollar amount, just for insurance sake. But that would require him to care about the forum, which he clearly stated isn't the case. Plus bolstering the costs would just come back to bite him eventually.

Hmph, whatever.
    Fortune Favors the Bold.
  • flickyflicky Why do people run from me? Joined: Posts: 980
    edited January 11
    Daemos wrote: »

But why didn't you do that years ago for however long SRK has been in the red as you put it?!! Why are you telling us you can migrate us over to a cheaper server instead of doing it the moment you knew things were getting too expensive?
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 846
    Vanilla Enterprise cloud hosting costs 1200 a month.

Vanilla installed on your own server costs 0.

Discourse cloud hosting costs 300 a month.

Discourse installed on your own server costs 0.

I'm not sure what their current hosting is like, but if they are paying in the neighborhood of 800 a month (2000 - vanilla's 1200), then it should be able to support any forum they want.

I'd really hope they just host it themselves so we don't have another issue like last time.
  • D'Nyc3D'Nyc3 *Insert Star* Joined: Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    EVO losing over 2k total competitors in a year hurts!
    Beastcoast INC '2015'
    -Latest Videos:
    youtube.com/user/Beastcoast

• Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,373
    edited January 12
    Honestly, even if we hosted it ourselves (assuming no one coughs up free hosting) we'd probably be in the range of $300+ unless someone runs it out of their closet so if he gets $500 he isn't exactly getting ripped off and takes a lot of headache off him. If they do migrations that saves us a lot of headache.

Patreon integration sounds cool also. I don't mind giving $10-20 a month for these forums. Hope they show a funding bar.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    D'Nyc3 wrote: »
    EVO losing over 2k total competitors in a year hurts!
    n3VEYRUPI7E5G.gif

Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.
  • Raz0rRaz0r Did you really just write that? Joined: Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I wouldn't be surprised if EVO is PPV this year.

That would be the true death knell to this. Especially since Capcom Cup has usurped the SFV main event, Marvel is dead, and I can watch any other number of Guilty Gear tournaments (even the small ones) on Mikado's stream with the same players and not pay.
    Raz0r wrote: »
    I love punk's posting style. Those emotes are hilarious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file