You know what? I prefer SD...

flickyflicky Why do people run from me?Joined: Posts: 1,022
... as far as cinematics go. This isn't every case, for instance if I'm watching the news I'll watch it in HD, if I'm watching wildlife documentaries I'll watch those in HD as well, but when it comes to movies and sometimes games I honestly think I prefer DVD over BluRay. It's a bit like how people still prefer Vinyl for their music, because it feels more real, or perhaps even old cinemas because a roll of film has more imperfections in it than digital video.

I think those imperfections make the content more immersive, for instance I watched the Hobbit on BluRay and the picture was so clear it basically looked like I was the camera man filming a group of actors, and it didn't fool me, where as with a DVD there's a slight soft haze to the image and it feels not so real life, which is what you want.

It's like the opposite of reading a book, you read a book to get more detail and more immersion in the story, where as with BluRay you get more detail but you're getting so much more information that it ruins the immersion. Sure it looks nice but you start to see wrinkles in people's faces, mistakes with makeup, the cheap tatty false quality to studio props, all that kind of stuff I don't want to see, especially the last one.

I think the perfect example is RE4 on the GC with its cinematic widescreen and fuzzy haze, I think that made the game so so immersive purely because of its intentional efforts to lower the quality of the image slightly to make it more immersive, that was intentional and I think it was perfect.

Does anyone else feel the same? Do you prefer SD over HD, or are you a 4K monster? What about. Vinyl?

I've been playing Dead Space series on the PC and the experience isn't quite the same as it was on my CRT when I was a cheap skate and never had an HDTV for an entire generation of gaming. I enjoy the quality of the lack of quality, if that makes any kind of sense

Comments

• chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,527
    HDR is what makes modern media look amazing. I love the high res/HDR for gaming and movies. I also own a turntable and collect vinyl. Not just for the sound, but for the material culture of having big records to look at and collect.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Goddamn you people are drunk off the Capcom-flavored Kool-aid (tastes like shit, I imagine)...
    RIP po 2018
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,105
    I only care about SD for things that were meant to be played in SD. The only way the SNES Classic looks good is with scanlines on. My Super Famicom will not be put through any display that isn't a CRT, it just looks too good on there.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,069
    CRT are dying anyways and other than recap kits, there no spare parts being made.
    Lose a Picture Tube and the whole display is gone. Also no one making more Tubes, keep that in mind.

At some time you will need to migrate to HD.

Also for you Retro Console fans, look into the OSSC.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,605
    I look at the displays on old iPhones now and they look cancerous compared to the AMOLED on my Samsung. I was using a crt up until a few months ago, but man, playing games on an hdtv with little to no input lag is pretty nice.

I do kind of agree about movies/shows tho. There's a certain vibe that some films or shows have now and I don't know if it's how they were shot or if it's just that they're in HD that makes them odd to watch. Can't explain it. But on the whole, I don't think I could go back to SD. It's like watching Netflix with a super shitty connection.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,253
    edited January 17
    On a related note, i still prefer DVDs whenever possible. A good quality DVD looks damn good when upscaled in a Blu-ray player.

DoctaMario wrote: »
    I look at the displays on old iPhones now and they look cancerous compared to the AMOLED on my Samsung. I was using a crt up until a few months ago, but man, playing games on an hdtv with little to no input lag is pretty nice.

I do kind of agree about movies/shows tho. There's a certain vibe that some films or shows have now and I don't know if it's how they were shot or if it's just that they're in HD that makes them odd to watch. Can't explain it. But on the whole, I don't think I could go back to SD. It's like watching Netflix with a super shitty connection.

Netflix actually offers a 'budget' subscription where you can pay less and stuff is in SD only. Which isn't bad at all. A high-quality, upscaled 480p image still looks pretty good.

Which is what i have. Watched a ton of anime recently and most of the time i forget it's supposed to be SD quality.
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Sometimes It Snows In April... Joined: Posts: 3,605
    DVD is still considered HD quality tho, right? I guess when I think of SD I think of jagged or fuzzy images nowadays. Even DVDs still look pretty sharp to my eye.

I didn't know that about the budget Netflix subscription but I guess if you're doing that, you may not have an hdyv an it wouldn't matter if the stuff was in HD anyway.
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 27,347
    DVD was never HD.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    edited January 17
    Yup DVD is SD. Blu-Ray looks the best but a good quality DVD still looks great when upscaled, no pixelation or anything. It's obviously not true HD quality but, kind of a "Faux" HD. It works.

• DarksakulDarksakul I find your lack of Faith Disturbing. Joined: Posts: 25,069
    DVD was never HD.

True, DVD video is ether 480i or 480p depending on the video's encoding and your player.
    Yup DVD is SD. Blu-Ray looks the best but a good quality DVD still looks great when upscaled, no pixelation or anything. It's obviously not true HD quality but, kind of a "Faux" HD. It works.

That only assuming your DVD/Bluray player got a quality internal upscaller. There been some real shit Upscalled DVD players before.
    I remember having to play HD games on a CRT. That shit was painful. Everything looked small. For some games text was impossible to read due to how small it was. I think the original Dead Rising had that problem.
    I remember having to play HD games on a CRT. That shit was painful. Everything looked small. For some games text was impossible to read due to how small it was. I think the original Dead Rising had that problem.
    I remember having the same issues, back when I first got a PS3, playing that thing on a CRT SD screen is just murder to the eyes.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This is a dumb question but since im not a tech person I'll ask it anyway.

Why is the text on ps4 games small ?
    Is it due to the high resolution of modern games?

I never had a problem on reading text until this gen. (Everything was fine from NES to X360 for me)
    I have a 27 lcd and i sit only 7 ft away.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    This is a dumb question but since im not a tech person I'll ask it anyway.

Why is the text on ps4 games small ?
    Is it due to the high resolution of modern games?

I never had a problem on reading text until this gen. (Everything was fine from NES to X360 for me)
    I have a 27 lcd and i sit only 7 ft away.

Yeah its like before game consoles used some 48 point font and bold, and now they use 12 point font with the thinnest font set available.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,105
    Darksakul wrote: »
    CRT are dying anyways and other than recap kits, there no spare parts being made.
    Lose a Picture Tube and the whole display is gone. Also no one making more Tubes, keep that in mind.

That's the only acceptable replacement I'll be looking into when the time comes.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk

That's the only acceptable replacement I'll be looking into when the time comes.

The More I look into things, the harder it is to find good CRTs.
    People rather just leave their old TVs and PC Monitors in the rain than to give them away.

I tried to call the local PBS station to see if they have any old equipment they want to get rid off, that I am willing to buy from them and they only laughed.
    They can't comprehend why a gamer wants a barely used Sony PVM and rather throw it in the dumpster.

I ended up getting a call back later with an apology from the station manager, because apparently their video engineers heard of what happen and raised hell.
    Apparently I talked to a marketing/PR exec instead of the people who are qualified to answer my questions.
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine a video engineer worth their weight laughing off someone wanting a PVM.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Shut the fucccccc up and take a walk scrub :tdown:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

edited January 18
    That only assuming your DVD/Bluray player got a quality internal upscaller. There been some real shit Upscalled DVD players before.

I use a Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-Ray player. Pretty sure that's good enough.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s1700

SONY-BDP-S1700-High-Res-Audio-Multi-System.jpg

I use a Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-Ray player. Pretty sure that's good enough.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s1700

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/152810869338_/SONY-BDP-S1700-High-Res-Audio-Multi-System.jpg

Fair enough, You got a Sony and not a LG or what ever the fuck Best Buy totes around as their in store brand or the shit Wal-mart has in their bargain bins
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,741
    I saw a comparison of vhs/DVD/bluray recently and notice how shitty the vhs is in comparison. Now, as the OP said about vinyl, I do think there is a place for "low quality" video. An example would be skateboarding videos shot on vx1000(old video camera before HD). I think they are all good.
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have to agree. HD in live action movies just looks fake to me. Now in a film like Avatar, something made from the ground up. Yeah it looks great in HD with a good TV. But talking about a regular live action film in 4k, filmed with those "special" cameras just makes the movie look like actors on a set. It completely ruins the immersion for me.
    I have to agree. HD in live action movies just looks fake to me. Now in a film like Avatar, something made from the ground up. Yeah it looks great in HD with a good TV. But talking about a regular live action film in 4k, filmed with those "special" cameras just makes the movie look like actors on a set. It completely ruins the immersion for me.

Your confusing High Resolution with High Frame Rates.
    Movies are typically shown at 24 FPS since Film standards were put into place in the early 20th century, get to about 48 to 60 FPS and everything starts to get that Soap Opera effect.

For decades Movie theaters were using large format film for movie viewing, The standard was 32mm Film, but there also 70mm and Imax's 120mm film.
    TV shows was mostly 16mm with home movie films recording in 8mm.

A well made 32mm was better resolution than old 480p. But on a 32" screen you never notice the difference.
    TV shows that was shot in 16mm Film look like shit on a HD screen as all the imperfections are shown
    So you are saying its the frame rates that make movies in HD on 4k screens look fake? Like I'm looking at the actual set? Not ultra high resolution?
    BBQ wrote: »
    I saw a comparison of vhs/DVD/bluray recently and notice how shitty the vhs is in comparison. Now, as the OP said about vinyl, I do think there is a place for "low quality" video. An example would be skateboarding videos shot on vx1000(old video camera before HD). I think they are all good.

Now that DVD is becoming, or is dated, it's easy to forget the upgrade in quality it had over VHS. But i still remember when i got my first player and DVD, and the big difference in clarity when switching.

Going from VHS to DVD, was almost like switching from SD to HD.
    So you are saying its the frame rates that make movies in HD on 4k screens look fake? Like I'm looking at the actual set? Not ultra high resolution?

Yeah, Look up the Soap Opera effect
    https://hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/

Worst of all some TVs have a motion smoothing "feature", great for sports terrible for cinema.
  • ZCUZCU Joined: Posts: 14
    I only hate HD for cartoons/anime, everything else I watch it as high resolution as I can find it
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,422
    edited January 19
    I love watching older movies shot on film in HD. Or even cel animated movies. You're able to see a lot of the detail while still retaining some of the grittiness. On some Disney films from the 60s and 70s you can even see some lines and artifacts from where they didn't have the time or budget to do any clean up animation. I will say though as someone who still will pop in a VHS or two sometimes, it's a completely different experience altogether. Cgi in older movies look better on VHS while looking like ass in HD
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX V-ISM BOB SAGAT 30th Anniversary Joined: Posts: 18,115
    SD sports = beheaded referees

FROM GETTING THE CALL WRONG, CLEARLY
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

I love watching older movies shot on film in HD. Or even cel animated movies. You're able to see a lot of the detail while still retaining some of the grittiness. On some Disney films from the 60s and 70s you can even see some lines and artifacts from where they didn't have the time or budget to do any clean up animation. I will say though as someone who still will pop in a VHS or two sometimes, it's a completely different experience altogether. Cgi in older movies look better on VHS while looking like ass in HD

Same here. A year ago I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on Blu Ray and it looked amazing. The non altered visuals held up really well.
    edited January 19

Same here. A year ago I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on Blu Ray and it looked amazing. The non altered visuals held up really well.

Wait, non-altered? Pretty sure the only versions of the OG trilogy available on Blu-Ray are the "special" editions.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 10,090
    I think he means the ship scenes in the OG trilogy, basically the stuff in the OG trilogy that wasn't edited.

I have the same version. The blaster bullets look off but excusable cause it was the 70s, the ships look fantastic, fuck the added CGI stuff that shit is wack
    I think he means the ship scenes in the OG trilogy, basically the stuff in the OG trilogy that wasn't edited.

I have the same version. The blaster bullets look off but excusable cause it was the 70s, the ships look fantastic, fuck the added CGI stuff that shit is wack

Darn :(

I haven't seen the OG trilogy in a while but, don't want the special editions.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    NickRocks wrote: »
    HD looks weird and unnatural

I think the HDR stuff looks amazing, but since I am a near sighted person who never wears glasses, even SD is much sharper than I see the world.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers

Darn :(

I haven't seen the OG trilogy in a while but, don't want the special editions.

There was a release a few years back of the original trilogy master tapes were converted to digital remaster with none of the CGI. Not sure if you can still find it these days.

I need to get a hold on the Harmy's Despecialized Edition of the Star Wars Original Trilogy
    Fans piece together the best clips, audio and scenes from multiple sources To restore the Original trilogy to close to the original theatrical release you can get
    Or until Disney gets a hold of Fox's Master copies of the original releases and restore those.
  • kedawakedawa . Joined: Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    My tv is small enough and far enough from the couch that I don't notice much of a difference between SD and HD for movies.
    What I did notice when I first got my tv is the awful frame-interpolating fake 120Hz bullshit that makes everything move with a nauseating and unnatural smoothness. It's especially jarring with films shot at 24fps, since only 20% of what you see are the actual movie frames, and the rest is a quick and dirty approximation of what's in between. I have all of the post-processing turned off now because I don't like the effect or the lag that it produces.
    HDR is pretty great, although I'm not about to upgrade just for that.
    edited January 20
    kedawa wrote: »
    My tv is small enough and far enough from the couch that I don't notice much of a difference between SD and HD for movies.
    What I did notice when I first got my tv is the awful frame-interpolating fake 120Hz bullshit that makes everything move with a nauseating and unnatural smoothness. It's especially jarring with films shot at 24fps, since only 20% of what you see are the actual movie frames, and the rest is a quick and dirty approximation of what's in between. I have all of the post-processing turned off now because I don't like the effect or the lag that it produces.

How small? Sounds like you need to get a new Tv.
    kedawa wrote: »

How small? Sounds like you need to get a new Tv.

Not everyone wants a 70" screen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file