Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Yamcha Thread - Cat Loves Food

FrozteyFroztey Break the CuffsJoined: Posts: 10,910 mod
edited January 30 in Dragon Ball FighterZ
Compiling character subthreads, post your tech/discussion here!

Please @ me if any tech you'd like adding to the OP comes up!
Post edited by Froztey on
SFV Cody Discord! - https://discord.gg/6CwKfAG
SFV Lounge Discord! - https://discord.gg/cBByyap
YouTube
Twitch

Comments

• LockMLockM Joined: Posts: 2,752
    DBFZ: A18/Trunks/Yamcha
    GGXrdR2:
     Jam, Baiken
    T7:  Jin
    SFV: Juri
    USFIV: Yun, Cody, Guy

• otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,272
    Can anyone ELI5 how this character works? I'm lost against random rekka dudes

• OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 10,736
    edited January 30
    otori wrote: »
    Can anyone ELI5 how this character works? I'm lost against random rekka dudes

Yamcha's rekkas work as follows:

Starters
    - 236L: stays on the same side
    - 236M: teleports on the other side
    - 236H: does a full rekka (nobody will use it though)
    Follow-up (2nd hit)
    - 5L: fast low damaging rekka with no delay
    - 5M: does more damage, locks down longer and adds a small delay before the hit. Frame traps if they press buttons
    - 5H: charges forward; on hit it launches and on block it crosses up and makes him go pretty far away on the screen
    - 5S/6S: crosses the opponent up. Yamcha can still add two more follow-ups to the rekka if he does that
    - 4S: backsteps away and ends the rekka
    - 6L/6M: does a claw strike finisher that knocks down. M version is punishable on block
    Follow-up (3rd hit)
    - 5L/5M: same as 6L/6M
    - 5H: same as above
    - 4S/5S: same as above, except 5S can only be followed with one extra hit

Mashing lights will usually beat all crossup shenanigans unless he has an assist to cover him up.
    Post edited by OceanMachine on
    [SFV] Laura [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    edited January 30
    I'm pretty slow at picking up new games so i haven't done much yet with Yamcha but i found he could do an easy IAD crossup into an immediate divekick(pretty sure it's nothing new but haven't seen other talk about it), it's really fast. Another thing is during SparkingBlast(SB!) he can easily convert of his 6M by doing 6M>AD>2H(divekick) and he doens't have to waste a vanish for it early on or use an assist.
    GGXrdR2:
     Jam, Baiken

edited January 30
    I tested it more and his 5M follow-up to rekkas is an actual frame trap and will catch any light button you press. You can't jump or backdash away either. So respect everything but the crossups.

edit: things are getting even more interesting: Yamcha can use a total of one backstep and one forward step at any point during the rekka, and even cancel backstep into forward step or viceversa. I might make a video about that.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
  • YoungFoxYoungFox Joined: Posts: 147
    I was watching the replays from the tournament thi past sunday at next level and i think most yamchas there where going about his combo path the wrong way.. you can do 5L, 5L ( second hit of his autocombo), 5M,2M,2H,SD, jpL,jpM,jpL, jc, jpL,jpM,jpL, 214m, spirit ball for about 3800 dmg plus a hard knock down. its 4100 off of jpH and 4500 if you skip the lights by frame trapping 5L into 5M as the combo starter
    edited January 31

He says:Inputs are 2M>5M>sj IAD>jL>jM>buffer 66>9>j.LL>jc>j.LLL>214M

Tried it in training myself and i only was able to land the j.L after the landing once after trying for 30+minutes.
    Shit is very tough and i don't see myself doing this as my go to combo if i ever happen to be able to do it somewhat consistently. If someone pulls this off in a match/tournament i will be VERY hyped!
    GGXrdR2:
     Jam, Baiken

• GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 3,011

This video really helped me out, I'm hooked on that combo too
    CFN: Dmen05
    PSN: davmen05
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,845
    So yeah Yamcha top tier confirmed
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
    edited January 31

Meter positive 4.6k combo with Vegeta assist that can be linked into a lv3 for 6.1k. I figured that since Yamcha doesn't have comboable j.H/j.2H you might just use that grounded 2HH for more damage.
    The best sequence I found to get the hard KD for the link into lv3 is: (after the initial hit) ← ↑ ← ↑ ↙. Do it slowly or the Spirit Ball might miss/not raise the enemy high enough.
    Also Vegeta assist = Doom assist
    Also thanks for the 6 stars ball
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
  • flighflighflugitflighflighflugit Joined: Posts: 1,910
    So does his non ex dp's have invincibility?
    I don't think so. Got clipped many times trying to do it
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    Im not positive but i think his 214M might have air invincibility after a few frames. Been beating some moves clean with it
    I don't think his ex dp has full invincibility. At least not frame 1. I definitely got stuffed out of it.

I'm starting to like his super more and more. Its nice that you can pretty much set up your opponent where you want them. Can even bring them down to the ground from high up.

edited February 2
    Yeah Sokidan is one of the few supers that give you actual oki and that can link into lv3s.

The more I lab Yamcha the more I find out how ridiculous his pressure is:
    * there's a gap between 5LL and 5M on block that will catch any buttons between them (another frame trap)
    * rekka starters and 1st follow-ups are + on hit, so you can stop the rekkas wherever you want and if they press any buttons you can do them all over again
    * both 5H and 5LLL can be cancelled into rekka, which not only makes them safe but allows you to continue pressure
    * doing a backstep before M rekka finisher will make it basically unpunishable and if you hit you get an everlasting KD

With all of his resets, frame traps and guaranteed hard KDs I think he's potentially one of the best solo characters in the game. I'm currently very tempted to move him to anchor so that he can also sit on meter all the time.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    The reason I would never run him on anchor is because his neutral isn't that great. Both his M's are slow and have shitty range. His kamehameha has longer startup than the others and has a worse hitbox.

I run him second because I like his assist, but i also prefer to have an assist for him too since it makes his rekka game so much stronger.
  • BronnBronn Joined: Posts: 511
    yamcha's a pretty clear point imo.

- stubby normals; meaning he's a bad solo
    - he gets all these easy meterless HKDs for other characters
    - even using meter his damage scales hard
    - can use assists to make up for bad M's

his pressure is insane, and the endless HDK's means he can probably end teams, but he quite explicitly designed to be a point, or a mid with a beam anchor.
    3s: Alex with the occasional hugo
    SFV: Alex, G.
    DBZF: Ginyu Force, Yamcha, Tien
    16, Piccolo, Veggie
  • N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 718
    Bronn wrote: »

his pressure is insane, and the endless HDK's means he can probably end teams, but he quite explicitly designed to be a point, or a mid with a beam anchor.

In the long run he seems like he's going to want to be very similar to Wolverine in MvC3. Has to do some work to get in with the help of assists but when he gets in they'll lose their character.

There's a couple things that seem to be in the way of this.
    1. Reset to neutral on character kill
    2. Assists go away when point character is hit and cooldowns are long.

On the plus side, you can call both assists to create a mixup situation and snapbacks exist (snapback utility has yet to be proven yet).
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yamacha loop semi infinite plus some other things... Didnt feel like finishing him up so gonna move on to other characters and tag stuff bug meta glitch etc
  • atx_wrekkaatx_wrekka Joined: Posts: 6
    @OceanMachine thanks for the rekka info, and actually putting inputs in your videos!
    皆関西弁を話せばええんちゃう?!
    Bronn wrote: »

HKDs are good for solo characters too since you get easy oki off that.
    The damage scaling is not a really big issue imho precisely because his moveset and the rekkas give him endless opportunities to reset and start all over again. What you lose off single combos you may gain it in the long run.
    Also I don't think you should have him as point unless the other two characters totally don't need his assist.
    The only reason that really keeps me from putting him as anchor is that having even one assist really allows him to do anything he wants especially during his rekka shenanigans. Even if I'm way better with Yamcha than with any of the other characters I'd still rather play solo Vegeta than Yamcha without his assist.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    Thanks to the new hitbox viewer tool I can finally confirm that Wolf Hurricane has absolutely no invincibility whatsoever. It simply has a very wide horizontal hitbox that covers almost his entire body, but he can still be hit from below.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    So does the hit box viewer show anybing of substance for his ex moves then? Im a little lost as to what utility they may have
    Well EX Hurricane is the only way to get a hard knockdown midscreen if you end the combo with j.H.
    EX WFF has a fast startup so it might be able to punish stuff better than the other versions... but again, as I said in the video I don't think it's very useful.
    The only obvious good use of his meter for EX moves is the rekka launcher. It's not bad though, he'll keep more meter for supers, DHCs or links into lv3.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    If you dash jump and do qcb.H, you get crazy momentum. I've been using this to a2a with Vegeta assist call behind it. It's kind of useful.
  • VersatileBJN007VersatileBJN007 Joined: Posts: 1,214
    New info thanks to dustloop wiki:
    - unlike most 5H, Yamcha's 5H is actually + on block and by a LOT. This will be a scrub killer for months.
    - in spite of its massive recovery, his divekick (j.2H) can always be into special moves and supers on hit or block. Comboing into WFF will always form a true blockstring. In other words, his divekick is always safe. Not only that, but this will allow you for crazy mixups like going for a j.2H crossup and then following with a crossup rekka.

Also I forgot to mention in my video that the 6M ender in WFF can be slightly delayed to frame trap them.

You've been an amazing source for this character. I really appreciate you thanks.
    PSN: BV_ZeroCool
    Fighter ID: RNS_ZeroCool

President: Akuma
    Vice President: Chun Li
    Secretary of State: Unsure
    Campaign Manager: Whichever new character I like most
  • TolsimirTolsimir Joined: Posts: 10
    Not my video, but the best Yamcha guide I have come across so far. Maybe someone else here finds it useful:

• RawwStewageRawwStewage Joined: Posts: 898
    5M is also + on block, not sure how much. Tested by setting enemy to block, pausing during blockstun, then setting enemy to repeat light attack while i mashed on light to get counter hits.
    Practice more post less
    Damn.. can't wait to lab him up some more now
    Tolsimir wrote: »
    Not my video, but the best Yamcha guide I have come across so far. Maybe someone else here finds it useful:

Watched it all (what's up with people making 1hr long YT videos? Jesus), sadly no new information and many things he says are wrong or incomplete compared to what has been posted here. For instance he says heavy WFF finisher after crossup is a frame trap and can't be mashed out, which is not true since I tested it earlier today and Gohan could just mash out of it. It is still pretty fast though so the slightest delay in their reactions and they will get caught.

One point he raises and I agree with though is how much his ground game benefits from one hit assists that don't lock down the opponent. Things like Trunks, Nappa or even Krillin will make his left/right mixups actually legit.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    I found some strange behaviour with his divekick: on block cancelling into 236M will always teleport you to the other side of where you landed, but on hit if you cross them up it will actually teleport you on the same side if you land too close to the opponent... on relatively small characters like SSB Goku it's impossible to land far enough to have his rekka crossup on hit. Since 236L will always keep facing the direction of his divekick, the only option against those characters to convert a crossup divekick is 214L/M. It's a little annoying because against them you lose the ability to mix them up if they take the divekick.

On the other hand the second hit of his 2H is actually cancellable on block into j.2H. This only works against tall characters though, as 2nd hit will whiff against the other ones. I already saw this happen in an actual game but I wasn't sure if they were in sparking or not, I'm glad I now have found the rule.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    I don't know if you guys saw yamchas hitbox/hurtbox on his j.h, but that shit makes up for how slow it is. Going to have to start using it more.

Anyone know where I can find hitboxes on his specials, I can't seem to find them
    I can record them and post them.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    I would just really like to see all the versions of his qcb special
    I did all normals and specials because why not.
    https://imgur.com/a/PayC2

It also made me discover that 214L can't really AA because it has a hurtbox above his head.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    edited February 7
    Thanks! Appreciate it

I had a feeling his dps looked like that. They are really good a2a's. I clash a lot with them but end up getting the hit anyway since it's a multi hitting move.

On block and with an assist call behind it, you should be able to bring people to the ground where you want them
    Shouldn't you be able to immediately cancel into anything after a clash?
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [DBFZ] 18/Yamcha/Vegeta
    Not sure with specials, but since the hits are so close together you end up winning the clash anyway.