Info on the Old School SF Scene?

Comments

• Ni8wingNi8wing Joined: Posts: 2,250
    Hey Old schoolers out there who been playing SF2 forever.

What's a faster game arcade Hyper Fighting or arcade Level 3 Super Turbo?

Right now I'm in an HDR remix binge and man this game awesomely addicting!!!! It's so freaking fast!!! It's funny how my mind is processing the moves at such a quick pace. It's like I'm on speed. I wonder why I never played a fast game like Marvel.
    Abashed the Devil stood, And felt how awful goodness is, and saw Virtue in her own shape how lovely; saw And pined his loss.
  • bitkidbitkid BiTKiD Joined: Posts: 685
    Its funny reading some of these posts around times when a new SF game comes out and the OG players will say like how it will get them stoked on SF again. I have a feeling that this is going to happen till the end of time, or until Capcom decides to stop putting out SF games altogether, whichever comes first. What would you guys do if Capcom didn't make a new SF game anymore? Is there any particular game in the series that you would then decide to play above all others or would you just stop playing?
    Dat shit's hoopz n yo-yos dawg!
  • Guile75Guile75 Joined: Posts: 106
    The only game that i can imagine would consume me like SF does, would be a 3D (very important), kinect enabled (perfect) 1st person fight night boxing game... maybe.
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    Common misconception; it was in development before SF2 was released (both released the same year, similar graphic style, yeah, it looks like a SF2 knockoff superficially, but the fighting system is just way too weird in comparison). It's more like an SF1 knockoff; the timing it takes to play FF is ridiculous.

true.
    the only real problem with Fatal Fury, was that you could never find a cabinet around, anywhere, at any time.
    i eventually got Fatal Fury for the Sega Genesis. loved it. i don't remember the game having strict timing for moves though. i remember using the code for unlocking Geese Howard as a playable character. he had his attack reversal, which countered every other character's move, regardless if it was a normal move, or a super.
    homboy was 'broken' as hell.
    i remember when i first saw MK1.
    for peeps who weren't around at that time, Mortal Kombat was the SF4 of its day.
    it had so-so gameplay, but stunning 3D graphics that was a novelty for its FG genre.
    thats the only thing MK had going for it, aside from the fatalities.

i don't really have a SF2 great story, since it wasn't so shocking/new for me, since i had already played SF1.

i remember the first time i played SF1. it was at a laundymat right across from where i lived. it was also at a bodega 1 block away.
    i marveled at its graphics, its sound effects, and its gameplay.
    i didn't know exactly how to pull off Ryu's 3 supers, since there really wasn't anyone who really knew. but i spammed half circle/quarter circle movements plus punch, and sometimes haduken/shoryuken came out, but it was iffy.
    i never beat that game.
    the farthest i got to was Birdie.
    Birdie was different in those days. he was white, had neon colored mohawk hair, super tall, and had a vicious jumping headbutt(i think it was his super) that destroyed your full life meter in 4 seconds flat.
    i wish i knew the correct stick inputs for Ryu's 3 supers, maybe i would have been able to reach Sagat and put that shoryuken scar on his chest.
    i was in the 7th or 8th grade in my first encounter with SF1.
    when SF2 came out. i was in 1st year of HS, i think, and i remember playing in laundrymats, arcades, bodegas, budda spots, video rental stores, etc...
    i remember being given 3 bucks every day to buy caferteria lunch with, buying/eating a 75 cent burger or sandwich, and saving the rest of those daily 3 dollar rations to go play SF2 right after school, every single day, every week, for a year.
    i went hungry and thirsty for SF2.

if the supers were easy/reliable to pull off in SF1,.....
    and people could actually play each other,
    and you could choose any character from the game instead of only ryu or ken.....

we would all be talking 'bout the "remember da good ol' days of SF1" instead of SF2.

edit:
    i forgot to mention Samurai Shodown1 was out in SF2 days, along with World Heroes Gorgeous, but those cabinets were hard to locate, but those games were super fun to play. especially SS.
    i remember the thrill of cutting down bamboo trees with my sword while battling in the bamboo forest. shit was epic.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: October 2001 Joined: Posts: 1,176 ✭✭
    Stayin' alive, we old schoolers should never forget this thread.

I used to remember spending all my lunch money on SF2. They had an SF2 WW or CE machine almost everywhere I went. At the pizza places, bowling alley, Safeway, a sports bar, a movie theater, 7-11, etc. My friends and I used to go to the pizza places to eat and play SF. If there wasn't any good comp we then walked or road our bikes to the bowling alley or Boxseat (a sports bar). Every now and again we went to the 7-11. The 7-11 had WW, CE, CE rainbow edition, Heavy Barrel and some shooting game. I think it was Terminator 2 or some stuff. And of course it had 1 pinball machine. Anyways, the scene nowadays is pretty much dying. It's kinda sad. Man, those were some good old times back then.

Where are all the old schoolers?
  • AbhiAbhi Best Team EVER Joined: Posts: 1,542
    Man I posted back in 2003 and 2004 for this thread
    I'm like an Hadoken

I'm like Down Right Fierce
  • Newtype AndyNewtype Andy CHECK MATE Joined: Posts: 740
    Nice bump!
    GBA2: RX-78, Nu
    SFxT: Law & Juri
    SSF4AE12: Gen, Fei Long, Sakura
  • Jubei KibagamiJubei Kibagami Too much naughty... Joined: Posts: 1,237
    Thanks for reminding of this great thread. I remember reading it like around 10 years ago. Gonna have to give it another read for old times sake.
  • blockheadblockhead Joined: Posts: 243
    This was a great thread I read the whole thing in one sitting. I wish I was born earlier so that I could have gotten into the scene earlier. I played Street Fighter 2 growing up but it wasn't until later I got serious about it. I feel like I missed out on a lot because of that.
    KoF XIII: Kyo/Ash/Ex Iori subs: King or Terry
    ST: Guile
    Alpha 2/3: Akuma
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Party Astronaut Joined: Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's infinitely better than the "scene" is now and will ever be.
    If you don't realize who this is by now than you'll never know.
    -SH

I hate your favorite game.
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 202
    When SF2 dropped, I can honestly say it changed my life. haha

I remember seeing it for the first time as a kid in Brooklyn in '91. I practically LIVED in that Blimpies and fed that arcade machine, losing, winning, and learning.

The Coney Island scene was CRAZY. It was literally a ROW of Street Fighter 2 CE cabinets lined up side by side. The small ones were for practice, but then there was a "competitive machine", where u just had to stand in line & test your skills.

SF2 was everywhere in the 90's. It was always cool to find a SF Rainbow Edition and pull off crazy stuff. We would have air hadoken fights. And try to do that massive 360 piledriver that laps the screen about 8 times until the driver finally lands & it takes 100% damage. lmao

SSF2T was a very dope time too. Akuma's debut was AWESOME. Hidden characters (like Reptile also) meant SO MUCH MORE back then. You got massive props for reaching him, and the adrenaline rush you get when all the ppl are behind you cheering you on is unreal. The Akuma code @ the character select screen was a word-of-mouth thing, and was actually kind of difficult to pull off. I will admit that I used him a few times in competition even though I knew he was broken (i was a kid though lol).

X-Men: Children of The Atom was amazing (Akuma Code >__< !!!) . Marvel Superheroes amazing times! But XMen vs SF changed the game for everybody. It was a sea of ppl playing that. Loved it! Ppl were playing Alpha series, but VS games were KILLING EVERYBODY.

When SF3 dropped, I saw the distaste with my own eyes. It wasn't the learning curve, it was the fact that only Ryu & Ken was in it. They really shouldve added a few more SF2 ppl, because thats all i heard from casuals and vets alike back then. But the ppl that loved SF, still played it and appreciated it. There was also alot of "2D is dead" debate back then too.

Everything started to fall apart around Tekken 3/Tekken Tag, when VF3 turned out to be weak & when MK4 really sucked. The last hurrah was MVC2. We grinded out those credits to unlock all the characters. CVS1,CVS2, and SVC was cool but the scene was on the death bed by then. The internet was accessible to everyone, and the best games could be played at your leisure at home.

I feel sorry for these kids that never witnessed the arcade scene when Street Fighter blew up. Its a completely different feeling playing online in your house, and playing in a dingy pizzeria with 6 ppl watching u. And their quarters are up and you're down to your last two quarters, so you GOTTA win. I even feel like I play differently nowadays, more carelessly. The only thing comparable to that feeling is the tournament scene. RIP Street Fighter golden era lol.

I WILL have a SF2 cabinet in my home one day.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • TarkanXTarkanX Joined: Posts: 869
    I'm not sure if I ever posted in this thread, but I wanted to say that I remember this thread from when it was created about 10 years ago, and it is still one of the greatest threads I have ever read. I still read Jcasetnl's posts about 2-3 times a year... it puts a smile (and a frown, for obvious reasons) on my face.
  • SaranghaSarangha Look within yourself Joined: Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/320510817

A goldmine of old school info from an OG SF player turned VF player LA_Akira. He talks about happenings even before Jeff showing up. He might be the first player to fly and play the Japanese. Very interesting from start to finish imho.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8449745/#Comment_8449745

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”
    ― Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

“For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits
    near them, waiting.”
    ― Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Nostalgia=Drug

• DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209 ✭✭

A goldmine of old school info from an OG SF player turned VF player LA_Akira. Very interesting from start to finish imho.
    Wow! I love stuff like this, man. Always exciting to know how shit went down back in the day.
    Wish more people were more open to learn about old school habits, competitive attitudes and the like.
    Would definitely tone down/remove the stupidity of some community members who only know SFIV (08? 09?) and onwards.
    KOF and AE 2012
    Wow! I love stuff like this, man. Always exciting to know how shit went down back in the day.
    Wish more people were more open to learn about old school habits, competitive attitudes and the like.
    Would definitely tone down/remove the stupidity of some community members who only know SFIV (08? 09?) and onwards.
    They are at a point of finding their groove in the current games and after years of experience their curiosity will lead them to inquire about this subject. I'm talking about the younger players specifically and not basing my opinion on join dates alone.

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

• tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 211
    I feel like this thread has to be stickied somewhere down the line so that newer players can have a glimpse of SF in the FGC history prior to diving into the newer threads. whenever somebody bumps this thread, I kinda browse it and then proceed to play some ST for a couple hours and then I feel great again.

8P
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    Well you gotta remember their young/new and don't know any better really. SF4 is their SF2. At one point we where all young/new and dumb. We all had to grow into the players we are today. Give the new generation time as well, the ones that stick around in a meaningful way will also evolve into worthwhile players.

Not to say I don't shit on em from time to time either cuz man some of are fuckin duuuuumb.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
  • DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209 ✭✭
    Good points dudes. :tup:
    KOF and AE 2012
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭

A goldmine of old school info from an OG SF player turned VF player LA_Akira. He talks about happenings even before Jeff showing up. He might be the first player to fly and play the Japanese. Very interesting from start to finish imho.

Yeah man, that episode was SO GOOD.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah man, that episode was SO GOOD.
    I had no idea Jeff was in desert storm. I also like the fact that they touched upon the players giving their own slang terms for certain moves like razor kick. I think that was common place in the 90s no matter where you played. You know you played SF2 in the 90s when you pronounce Sagat the way LA_Akira does lol. The crazy amount of versions of the initial SF2 release were totally new to me, pure gold.
    Post edited by Sarangha on

near them, waiting.”

Nostalgia=Drug

• Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    I had no idea Jeff was in dessert storm. I also like the fact that they touched upon the players giving their own slang terms for certain moves like razor kick. I think that was common place in the 90s no matter where you played. You know you played SF2 in the 90s when you pronounce Sagat the way LA_Akira does lol. The crazy amount of versions of the initial SF2 release where totally new to me, pure gold.
    I always feel like my little brother was born too late cuz he does this shit. He has his own name for a lot of moves in fighting games and even names for combos an shit. A lot of em are pretty funny imo.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭✭
    He has his own name for a lot of moves in fighting games and even names for combos an shit.

Just get in there and hit 'em with the old

topoblogboombap28229.jpg
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    This thread is officially more than 10 years old now.

And it's still the best damn read on SRK.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Look at that, what're you gonna do? Lose your charge? No no no. No no no no. You're gonna get SMILED on. With maracas." -Alex Valle on the Claw vs DJ matchup
    "When you play 99 games of SF2 with someone, you share a special bond with them for life." -Papercut
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is officially more than 10 years old now.

And it's still the best damn read on SRK.

That's because there's more interesting and relevant stories and information in this thread than the vast majority of SRK combined.
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,085
    You know a thread is good when you get hype reading it again 6 years later
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭
    Its funny reading some of these posts around times when a new SF game comes out and the OG players will say like how it will get them stoked on SF again. I have a feeling that this is going to happen till the end of time, or until Capcom decides to stop putting out SF games altogether, whichever comes first. What would you guys do if Capcom didn't make a new SF game anymore? Is there any particular game in the series that you would then decide to play above all others or would you just stop playing?
    I stopped playing the new games since A3 (included), since they were just too bad. A2 was the last acceptable version, and even that one I sort of dislike, now. It would be so much easier to fix it then to release completely new crap with completely modified properties over and over. As for the question itself, it's been years that I only really play ST, and some CE when I do not find people with good ping on GGPO or Supercade.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    Criminal that pure ST and Alpha 2 still aren't on Live. I played some HDR ranked last night and it was just a sorry succession of weak ass pullers. Lamers like that would be asked to leave and then forced to leave in a '90s arcade.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    i blame SF4 for teaching em bad habits and causing lack of fundamentals.

they probably get on hdr thinkin that these will work:
    keep spamming weak attacks till its massive hit stun leads to unblockable ex bullshit or vortex.
    and turtle like a bitch all day till your ultra saves your ass
    fadc everything(oops! no FAs in SF2...what to do what to do?)
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • ShotgunSteveShotgunSteve Goes by Henners Joined: Posts: 569
    man, this thread takes me back to High School. I spent all day in leadership class for about a week sifting through all these posts
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede Badness At Its Finest Joined: Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Reading Jcasetnl's posts brought alot of memories :D

Saving this thread for later
    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  • FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Whew, thank God this thread is still here. I get scared it'll disappear every time there's some kind of big forum change.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Look at that, what're you gonna do? Lose your charge? No no no. No no no no. You're gonna get SMILED on. With maracas." -Alex Valle on the Claw vs DJ matchup
    "When you play 99 games of SF2 with someone, you share a special bond with them for life." -Papercut
  • Joe AsakuraJoe Asakura Pit Fighter Ty Joined: Posts: 176
    I find it funny how we can feel nostalgia over a thread whose original discussion was on nostalgia to begin with....kind of like a message board "Inception".

This too is my favorite SRK thread. First read through it during my High School years, now coming back to it as a recent college grad. Still chuckle at the "Remedial Edition" story!
    GGPO: JoeBruiserWorldTour
  • taijitaiji mvc2 forever Joined: Posts: 1,533
    Nostalgia overload! Haha first time I played sf2 was during a vacationin Reno. I was about 8 & I remember someone teaching me the sonic boom.. wow how time flys!!

I love everything capcom has done pre sf4, ST & A3 will alway have a special place in my heart.
    "I'm inviting all of you to come and watch my after-fight concert, i'm gonna sing 8 songs" - PACQUIAO
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    taiji wrote: »
    I love everything capcom has done pre sf4

lol, dat shark jump

Maybe some more of you old schoolers who prefer real fighting should do an LA, and check out VF? Mind games for dayz, and none of this slow assed, runaway bs trash everywhere, that's for sure.

twitch.tv/nyc_vf
  • SirMixahLotSirMixahLot Proud Shoryuken.com member since 2003 Joined: Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @taiji wrote: »
    Nostalgia overload! Haha first time I played sf2 was during a vacationin Reno. I was about 8 & I remember someone teaching me the sonic boom.. wow how time flys!!

I love everything capcom has done pre sf4, ST & A3 will alway have a special place in my heart.

What up Taiji? Still rocking Mageto?
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Jesus Joined: Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Not much of a "scene", but there was a small general store right next to my best friend's uncle's house where I grew up(way up in the mountains). They had an SSF2T arcade that we used to blow all of our money on. We stopped going though, when the owner kicked us out one day for spending too much on time on the arcade. We were literally the only people that ever played it, and we were funneling quarters into it, and he didn't like that.

But they later lost the business because everyone hated them. The new owners were cool and brought it back to life with better service and attitude, so it really was them being assholes that did them in.

That's my "back in the day" SF story. I have a similar story about Tekken 2 and a pizza parlor, except I only stopped playing it because I hate Tekken.
  • lueymannlueymann retro fighter Joined: Posts: 3
    bitkid wrote: »

Super street fighter 2 & street ex series. I would keep playing them forever.
    supaman wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote:
    We old schoolers should never forget this thread.

I used to remember spending all my lunch money on SF2. They had an SF2 WW or CE machine almost everywhere I went. At the pizza places, bowling alley, Safeway, a sports bar, a movie theater, 7-11, etc. My friends and I used to go to the pizza places to eat and play SF. If there wasn't any good comp we then walked or road our bikes to the bowling alley or Boxseat (a sports bar). Every now and again we went to the 7-11. The 7-11 had WW, CE, CE rainbow edition, Heavy Barrel and some shooting game. I think it was Terminator 2 or some stuff. And of course it had 1 pinball machine. Anyways, the scene nowadays is pretty much dying. It's kinda sad. Man, those were some good old times back then.
    HEAVY FUCKIN BARREL!!! that was the shit back in the day. Yeah I wish seven eleven and the liquor stores i went to still had arcades bring back memories

Yup, yup, yup.
    So, I was feeling nostalgic again and found one of many of my posts from the oldschool SRK site from the way back machine:

z1wn.jpg

wd7k.jpg
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    WHen I was a kid, I'd have a piano lesson every saturday afternoon and after that, we'd go to the mall. My mum and sister would go look at clothes and I'd head to the arcade with a pocket overflowing of quarters to play SF2. I wasn't that good, but it was fun and I got to play some good players. I remember thinking Guile had a sword when he did a Flash Kick. xD I also remember not being able to get past Vega.

After we moved, i found out there was this candy shop about a mile from my house that had a couple arcade machines, among them a World Warrior cab and Final Fight. I'd walk that entire mile in the cold (I was living up near Buffalo, NY) to this drafty old shop that no one ever went into because it looked like it was closed, would talk to the weird old lady who ran it, and just stay there for hours playing until my quarters were gone. It was a really really small town and I felt lucky to have a WW cab so near. When I got the SNES SF2 game I even had a couple tournaments at my house, which was a lot of fun. I wish I still had the time today to be able to do stuff like that.

I miss the arcade days but mainly because i was younger and it seems awesome now. Yes, the community was probably a lot nicer back then, but the games hadn't been blown open and figured out yet and the competitive community was there from the inception and had to play other people to figure things out. You couldnt' just watch match vids and learn on your own, you HAD to play other people and interact, and be a human being if you wanted to be any good.

Once in awhile I'll still see an SF machine out there. I went up to Metropolis, IN to play a wedding last year with my gal and on my way to the bathroom in the local Pizza Hut, I saw this:

2012-10-06130100.jpg

It was in a general state of disrepair which was kind of sad. I'd love to have an SF2 machine in my place once I get set up in a more permanent location.

I'm not really much of a nostalgic person, but when people say it was different back in the SF2 days, it's true. Some might disagree but in some ways, I think all the resources, the internet, the videos have made the game a little less fun. Rather than just playing the game and experimenting, people can do everything but that and learn. And you can get good at the game without ever having to interact with anyone. I think being able to play online is a blessing, but in some ways it makes the community a little less personal.
    Post edited by DoctaMario on
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,198 ✭✭
  • DoctaMarioDoctaMario Big Member Joined: Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thisthread should be stickied.

BTW Docta: Sick avatar haha

Seriously, people have been asking for this thread to be stickied since it started, why hasnt it yet???

@hanzo_hasashi thank you man, I'm a big fan of your username!
    "Money matches are against the law in Japan. They can never be good at Marvel." -4r5
  • KaneKane biding my time Joined: Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    So, I was feeling nostalgic again and found one of many of my posts from the oldschool SRK site from the way back machine:

Aah, good old blue white SRK. I was a 2001 member myself but I hardly think anybody remembers my old gamertag (Testament X).
  • jadflatjadflat Joined: Posts: 7
    this thread brings back memories of playing SF2 in China Town at Red House in Melbourne in 1992, those were certainly the days! :)

They had 4 or 5 machines lined up with a constant stream of challengers, you could play all day for only a few dollars if you kicked enough arse.
    I used to skip school and get in at about 9am and stay until 6pm or until my feet were too sore from standing all day. I lived and breathed street fighter back then, almost every cent I had went on playing it, wherever and whenever I could a game. It really was an addiction back then, no game had ever sucked me in like SF2 World Warrior, I just couldn't get enough.

You'd see the same familiar faces at the arcades and swap strategies and tricks you'd worked out.
    Occasionally someone would bring in one of the Chinese Jademan SF2 comics and we'd pour over it to see if they revealed any new Guile tricks or other bugs. Anyone remember resetting the machine with Guile or Dhalsim? that was the ultimate rage quit!

I wonder if any of the old Red House players from Melbourne are on SRK?
  • XXthYearOfScrubdomXXthYearOfScrubdom Joined: Posts: 1
    Stumbled upon this online Thomas Osaki vid:

Just a bit of fun, no idea if this truly is the Norcal Typhoon.
    Don't expect too much since, similar to Tomo, he retired
    15+ years ago ..

OGs forever!!
  • PupilOfPlatoPupilOfPlato Schoolin Fools since 347 B.C. Joined: Posts: 154
    So many banned members on one page.
    wowzers.
    seems old schoolers don't know how to behave themselves.

Fighters have been ever increasingly suckin since '03. That's why I picked up knitting as my time wasting hobby.