Video Game Music Thread Ver. Once More With FEELING!

Comments

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,926
    Metal Gear Rising Revengeance has some pretty good tracks in it.  I'll probably post my stand outs after I finish the game if nobody else does.
  • krokro Joined: Posts: 707
    I've been playing through the Ys series lately and discovering what makes Falcom music and the series in general so loved in Japan.  So far I've played Oath in Felghana, Ark of Napishtim, and Origin.  The games themselves are fast-paced, straightforward hack and slash action RPGs.  Each game only takes around 8-10 hours to beat so I definitely recommend giving them a shot.

Ys III Oath In Felghana:
    The Boy's Got Wings
    Valestein Castle
    Illburns Ruins
    A Searing Struggle

Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim:
    Mighty Obstacle
    Quatera Woods
    Ultra Marine Deep
    Ernst - Original | Arrange

Ys Origin:
    Genesis Beyond the Beginning
    Scarlet Tempest - Original | Arrange
    Silent Desert - Original | Arrange
    Water Prison

• SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    edited February 2013
    .Hack://VERSUS has a pretty cool soundtrack. Been listening to it for a bit.

Here are a few of my favorites:

• Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,699
    This is pretty nice:

The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 3,619
    all these years owning EX2 and i never heard this incredibly funky theme

I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Mr.PaVy-RDMr.PaVy-RD Joined: Posts: 3,619
    now im interested in finding songs with similar beats like that one 
    I block better in Marvel than i do in Streetfighter :(

3s-Yang/Urien/Dudley
    Ae2012-Yun/Yang/Seth/Ryu/Cody/Dudley
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Dreams of Home' by Chris ~ Amaterasu & wealtzforluma
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02608/

Source track is 'Ballad of the Wind Fish'.  The mix itself is pretty solid but what I'm most interested about is the fact that the one who did this arrangement is also the composer for the Action RPG game Cryamore that's going through kickstarter right now.  Someone had posted up a thread about this game earlier in GD and that's the only way I knew about it.  I took a quick visit to Ms. Tran's youtube account to look at some of the other stuff she did and of course I end up really liking an arrangement of a Sonic Colors track that she did with someone else.  She's got some pretty good piano arrangements on her account so I'd recommend taking a quick peek into there.  In anycase, the actual mix I'm pointing out was a nice duet on this theme between piano and violin.  Very slow and in a more classical styling.

• just_primejust_prime Culture Reset Joined: Posts: 1,688
    edited March 2013
    Yah, I remember coming across her YT account while looking for SMG arrangements. The girl has definitely got talent.

• DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,060
    anyone ever notice the similarities between this

and this?

Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ya'll need to check out that Threads of Fate (Dewprism) OST. I listened to it a few years back and recently heard it again. Can't believe I forgot how amazing it is.

Last Dungeon (Rasdan) is my fav track from the OST. Dungeon crawling has never sounded so laid back. The whole 2 disc score is incredible and it's on Shadow's site. HIGHLY Recommended.
  • BiousBious Seasons Greetings Joined: Posts: 11,484
    Time to get back into the music field. I'll lead off with one of my favorite SNK arrangements from Art of Fighting 3.

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░░▄██░░█░█▀░░▄▄▀█░█░░░▄▄▄▄
    ▄█████░░██░░░▀▀░▀░█▀▀██▀▀▀█▀▄
    █████░█░░▀█░▀▀▀▀▄▀░░░███████▀
    ░▀▀█▄░██▄▄░▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Preppy wrote: »
    Panda Express is an Asian plot to destroy your bowels. Winners Just Say No.
    Talk about being late on stuff....OCR has released their Kirby Super Star tribute album

trailer

website
    http://milkyway.ocremix.org/

I've been recently going throuh CSGuitar's stuff ever since Artificial Fear put up a collab take on 'Fairy Navi'

His stuff seems to mostly consist of Zelda tracks redone in heavy guitar arrangements in a somewhat similiar manner that AF does his stuff
    http://www.csguitar89.com/

Some of the stuff he's done that's not Zelda though is quite well done. Dig his take on Luigi's Mansion

and Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64)

Most of his stuff his fairly straightforward arrangements without too much improv
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I want someone to make remixes of music from Quartet for the Sega Master System:
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Holy crap! OCR actually finished that Milky Way Wishes album? I thought that was dead and buried. And I'm pretty sure I hear some Joshua Morse on this album from the trailer. I'll be listening to this tonight for sure.

Quartet and SDI had some great music. But then SEGA has their ducks in a row when kit comes to making sick beats. I'm pretty sure I have that compilation album if anyone is interested. Actually, it's on Shadow's site in another compilation album with even more tracks from other SEGA arcade games: http://www.shadowhaxor.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2279

So I've been listening to battle themes from various Square Enix games outside of the main Final Fantasy series. It really is impressive how many fantastic battle themes exist outside of those two F words.

Battle 1 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    Sacrifice Part Three - Seiken Densetsu 3
    Lethal Strike - SaGa 2 (Final Fantasy Legends II)
    Dancin' Sword - Star Ocean
    KNOCK YOU DOWN! - Live A Live
    SHUDDER - Einhander
    Battle 1 - SaGa Frontier
    Femmes Fatales - Parasite Eve
    Rage! Rage! Rage! - Front Mission
    Epic Confrontation - The 7th Saga
    General of the Empire - Alcahest

• Chozen1Chozen1 Joined: Posts: 716
    This is pretty nice:<br />

Chrono trigger arrange melody
    "The event is the journey, not the destination. because we all know what that is"
    />
    <br />
    They get better after the first cycle of the music. Pretty amazing. LOL.

Wowsers, & i thought cowbanger music sucks. This is Very exceptional. Holy shit :O!
    "The event is the journey, not the destination. because we all know what that is"
    Bious wrote: »
    Time to get back into the music field. I'll lead off with one of my favorite SNK arrangements from Art of Fighting 3.

Robert's theme 3
    edited March 2013
    I liked most of what I've heard in the Super Star OCReMix album.

Personal Standouts so far:

Grape Soda (Sea Stage) by Halc, Protodome

The Incredible Star Machine (Vs. Marx) by Halc

A Reminiscence (Staff Roll) by Ergosonic

Go! Go! Go! (Grand Opening) by Protodome

Bias, Groove (Float Islands) by Insert Rupee

Blowing Bubbles in Space (Bubbly Clouds) by Halc

A Green Green Dedede (Green Greens, Great King Dedede's theme) by Sir Nuts

Kirb Your Enthusiasm (Mallow Castle) by Brandon Strader, Halc

The Ballad of Meta Knight (My Friend and the Setting Sun...) by Halc

The Savior of Dream Land (Coliseum Battle) by Sixto Sounds

Halc put in some good work into this album. If I had to make a couple of gripes I'd say 1. There's 2 tracks on this album that i believe were released months before and 2. Nobody did 'Halberd ~ Nightmare Warship'? What a missed opportunity! I would have loved to see someone take on this theme after the awesome rendition that was in Brawl.
    Milky Way Wishes was a pretty sweet album. All those tracks Sonichuman mentioned are some of my faves. I'm waiting for someone to make an AMV (Anime Music Video) using footage from Kirby: Right Back at Ya! on "So Easy."
    I just finished Henry Hatsworth recently, and the final boss theme is pretty beast. Give it a listen!

░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
    Gametrailers did a BackTrack segment on Super Metroid that was pretty nice
    http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/n1gjl8/backtrack-super-metroid

I really wish music composers of triple AAA titles would think more about making music memorable while setting the mood instead of just putting in orchestral scores equivalent to a moody movie setting. Music can go a long way in remembering and sticking with players. Hearing music from games in the past instantly brings up visuals in my head of that specific point in that game and what was going on, can't say the same for too many games I've played that have been made by western developers.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior 'Shoto Spirits' by Brosynthe, The Duke, and Trenthian
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02609/

Sources are 'Akuma Stage ~ Killing Moon', 'Ken Stage', 'Ryu Stage', 'Stage Sakura', 'Theme of Akuma ~ SFIV Arrange', and 'Theme of Gouken'. Poor poor Sean...they put included every shoto in this mix but you eh? I had been sitting on this mix for a minute as i was kind of unsure about it for whatever reason. When I came back to it I pretty much got over it...maybe it was the fact that when I heard Jon St. John doing Akuma's voice I ended up getting a picture of weird mixup of Akuma and Duke Nukem together as if they had did the fusion dance. In any case, this is a pretty nice rockin arrangement that weaves in an out of all the themes. There's not really much talking save for little clips and small speeches from Ryu, Ken, and Akuma. Usage of the effects from the games was pretty well done as well. If I had one complaint, it would be how the section right after Akuma speaks sounds. It's not the guitars...but something else that's entirely to high for me and sounds like if I listened to it for 2 long I'd end up getting a headache. LOVE the fact that a Shakuhachi is used in this.

Sonic 3D Blast 'Rusty Fingers' by Dr. Manhattan
    http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02610/

Sources are 'Rusty Ruin Zone Act 2 (Gen)' and 'Mystic Cave Zone'. Dat BASS..love it. Both rockin and funky. Having a bit of a hard time pinpointing when exactly Mystic Cave Zone is used at the moment though. There is a part that sounds kinda close to it but upon listening over the Rusty Ruin source...that part is in there too. Would be interesting if Senoue sequenced that area to make small reference to Mystic Cave. This track also has made me realize that I don't have either Genesis or Saturn's versions of soundtracks for 3D Blast....something I should probably fix.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    edited April 2013
  • Moy_A7XMoy_A7X Happy Derp Face Joined: Posts: 169
  • Moy_A7XMoy_A7X Happy Derp Face Joined: Posts: 169
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Damn, accidentally double posted

We should make a list of all the best composers and OST albums and slap them in the opening post. That way we don't have to be digging through the thread for stuff we might like.
    Post edited by Moy_A7X on
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 2013
    Terranigma music:

The whole soundtrack gives me goosebumps.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    I'm still annoyed we never got Terranigma in America. Square Enix could at least hook us up with a Virtual Console release.

SNES Port Town done in the style of F-Zero X's music:

Download the whole F-Zero X-Style Arrangements album (SNES F-Zero music in the style of F-Zero X): http://www.mediafire.com/?ckl6o2c8nnkre38

Grant Kirkhop put the original 17 track Banjo-Kazooie album on his Bandcamp page at a name your price tag. So yeah, it can be free if you want: http://grantkirkhope.bandcamp.com/album/banjo-kazooie It's all about Treasure Trove Cove.
  • RagingDemonStormRagingDemonStorm The power of elevation Joined: Posts: 3,182
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dn2h69FxDlE"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    A great remix
    CVS2 Akuma\Geese\whoevers top tier in that groove
  • Yeah Dood 120%Yeah Dood 120% Now, 20% more pumped Joined: Posts: 1,926 mod
    edited April 2013
    This remix of The Love Theme of Final Fantasy IV by Uyama Hiroto has a very nice "Nujabes" feel to it... dood!
    Post edited by Yeah Dood 120% on
    "A man hurls himself towards his fate, his soul ablaze! There is nothing that can hinder me!"
    UMvC3 teams: Jill/X-23/She-Hulk, Jill/Nemesis/Firebrand, Chun-Li/Jill/Iron Fist, Jill/Spiderman/Felicia
    edited April 2013
    Every Gran Turismo game has the best songs in the JP version:

Why does the NTSC/PAL version always get shafted? BibleThump.png

If you are into VG music, but haven't heard of the Ys series, you're fucking up:

Following the thread of epic jRPG music, here's Lunar: Silver Star stuff for the oldies out there:

I think my next big post will be all epic jRPG (non Final Fantasy) tunes.
  • Yeah Dood 120%Yeah Dood 120% Now, 20% more pumped Joined: Posts: 1,926 mod
    edited April 2013
    SWBeta wrote: »
    If you are into VG music, but haven't heard of the Ys series, you're fucking up:
    I love the Ys series. I've been playing them since the PC Engine days. The soundtracks are great, I have them all. I really like this fan made piano version of To Make End of Battle...

Vacant Interference from Ys Seven is amazing...

Have you heard the Falcom jdk Band live...

It's not the original line up, but they sound great... dood!
    "A man hurls himself towards his fate, his soul ablaze! There is nothing that can hinder me!"
    UMvC3 teams: Jill/X-23/She-Hulk, Jill/Nemesis/Firebrand, Chun-Li/Jill/Iron Fist, Jill/Spiderman/Felicia
  • GunsTariqGunsTariq There it is Joined: Posts: 437
    So where do you guys find your music nowadays? I know FFShrine still works a bit. Any other places to look?
    Currently play ability is improving....

Still very much to learn from experienced players

Fireball...................Jaguar Kicks???
    GunsTariq wrote: »
    So where do you guys find your music nowadays? I know FFShrine still works a bit. Any other places to look?

If I can't find it on FFShrine or Shadowhax0r's site, I rip it straight from youtube :tup:

Google usually works when I want a specific album, but there are a few sites I keep tabs on that put up soundtracks I might be interested in. I can't recall em off the top of my head though.
    ░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░▄█████▄▄█▄░░░░
    ░░░░░▄▄▄▀██████▄▄██░░░░
    ░▄████████▀▀▀▄▀░░░░
    ██████░▀▀█▄░░░█▄░░░░
    ░▀▀▀▀█▄▄▀░██████▄░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█████████░░░░
  • I am AhI am Ah Joined: Posts: 248
    Bunta's theme in Initial D: Arcade Stage 4:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1LbmuyUPyZo
    https://www.facebook.com/vincent.patawaran?ref=tn_tnmn
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/103676139573700840854/posts
    https://twitter.com/SoomRathma
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/Sephiroth80X

All time happens at once.
    Time is just a measurement of movement and the concept of time is all created in each individual's mind. It is just a thought creation. Even when everybody dies the Universe will still live on until forever because there is always One awareness that is creating all of space and time within it's mind. The One awareness is God.
    The entire Universe/all of Space and Time/Creation/Reality is just a mental creation. It is all consciousness. It is all one body, one mind, and one spirit with infinite individuals experiencing the illusion of separateness.
    So, when you think about it, anything is possible within a mind so that means all of consciousness/existence has infinite possibilities therefore you can be God yourself.
    Life is just a game, so have fun with it. You can also reincarnate/re-spawn as many times as you want.

PSN: VictorX1. I am Kalki, the final Avatar of Vishnu. I am also Maitreya Buddha, the 5th Buddha.
    edited April 2013

On the very post is a batch of links to where you can find soundtracks. Some don't work anymore due to a few sites moving and what not, but a lot of them are still active. I was planning to edit the first post but I can't seem to edit it.

EDIT: NVM, I just found out where the new edit option is.
  • just_primejust_prime Culture Reset Joined: Posts: 1,688
    Oh boy, it's been a while since a piece has got me amped up like this. I was just doing another random vgm search and came across this tune from Romancing Saga Minstrel Song (never played the game). Instant gym playlist material.

Seriously, if you don't feel like whoopin' ass of any kind after hearing it, you have a soul equivalent to barney-help-teach-children-180x180.jpg

Something I wanna post before I head into work...My ears are currently have a love affair with 'The Only Thing I Know For Real' from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

The minute you see Jetstream Sam begin to point his sword towards you and the beginning of this track starts up...you know you're about to get your ass beat. I'm post up more personal faves from this soundtrack when I get back.
  • SaranghaSarangha Look within yourself Joined: Posts: 4,256
    edited April 2013
    Metal Gear Rising has one of the best soundtracks this entire gen.

At 1:03 when "rules of nature" kicks in just damn.

This track will be used for the Jet Stream Sam DLC coming out this Tuesday. The track was done by the legendary Ferry Corsten himself.

Every MGR fan knows this track by now. Most were exposed to it when the demo dropped.

Boss battle tracks imho they fit them perfectly:
    Sundowner

Monsoon

Armstrong

Mistral
    Seriously I could post the whole ost......

After Metal Gear Rising I think music syncing perfectly with the action on screen should be a staple in videogames.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/8449745/#Comment_8449745

“If you do not pour water on your plant, what will happen? It will slowly wither and die. Our habits will also slowly wither and die away if we do not give them an opportunity to manifest. You need not fight to stop a habit. Just don’t give it an opportunity to repeat itself. (67)”
    ― Swami Satchidananda, The Yoga Sutras

“For those who have an intense urge for Spirit and wisdom, it sits
    near them, waiting.”
    ― Patanjali, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Nostalgia=Drug

• SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    cammy ending :coffee:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

^ I had to look up Ferry Corsten since I'm unfamiliar with him. And the fact that his track that he did for the upcoming DLC completely fits with MGR has sort of confirmed some suspicions I've had on the 'genre' that MGR's OST is mostly comprised of. Listening to some of the original tracks before they went through Mr. Christopherson's studio voodoo, they sounded waaaaaaaaaay heavier in the metal department.

Is there a name for what this genre is? Electronic Metal? Metaltronica?

Also thinking back on what I said earlier about music back then vs. now, I was trying to come up with what exactly it is that a lot of game music seems to be missing in comparison and MGR helped me. Character. I think that's really what it boils down too. Orchestrated music can have character easily since the Mario Galaxy games do it. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the people responsible for the soundtrack weren't Japanese.

It's also interesting to compare what they had originally and what they had in game.

Locked & Loaded (Rules of Nature - Original Version) vs. Rules of Nature (Platinum Mix)

The Only Thing I Know For Real (original version) vs. The Only Thing I Know For Real ( Maniac Agenda Mix)

Stains of Time (original version - instrumental) vs. Stains of Time (Maniac Version)

good lord Monsoon's theme is so face melting

A Stranger I Remain (Original Version) vs. A Stranger I Remain (Maniac Agenda Mix)

Find it quite interesting how they changed the lyrics and love the piano use for this especially in the actual game version. Sounds a lot better pulled forward.