The Next Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken thread

Clear SkyClear Sky Wolf ShirtJoined: Posts: 3,301
Time for a new thread. The game is out now and a couple of people have it, so now people can actually talk about the game. Let's try to avoid having Master Chibis here, eh?

And yes, I know that the new thread's name sucks, but I'll leave it as it is until I think of a better one or someone tells me. Also I'll edit this FAQ so it's more helpful. I just wrote over the old faq so I could put this up more quickly.

For the old threads:

First thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=91074
Second thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=117976

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What systems is the game out for?

For the Atomiswave arcade and for the Japanese PS2.

Where can I get the game?

For the console version: Since the game is out only for Japan, try import shops. Try good online ones like like ncxs.com or playasia.com.

For the arcade version: For buying online, Coinopexpress sells Atomiswave systems and HnK game carts. You can also try online auctions such as Ebay.

To buy off online, try asking your local arcade manager for contacts of his vendors, and try to purchase the game from them.

Or you could play the game in the arcades. Here are the known arcades that have it:

Kong Man Center - NYC, NY
Planet Zero Anime Center - Houston, TX
Arcade Infinity - Rowland Heights, LA County, CA
Family Fun Arcade. Granada Hills, CA (Do they still have it?)
Gametown - Zurich, Switzerland

Members here with the arcade version:

Arizona, USA - Hydra632
SoCal - Deadly Magneto (Did he end up selling it?)
St.Paul, MN - NEBULOSO
Atlanta, GA - NobitaKun (?)

Specific Game Questions

Is there a movelist and general explanation about the game's system?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/game/928547.html

Yes. Nonoho's excellent FAQ.

What's the game's official layout?

ACE
BD

A = Weak Punch
B = Weak Kick
C = Heavy Punch
D = Heavy Kick
E = Boost

What's the crazy notation with the numbers that everyone seems to be using?

It's called the numpad notation and is used for many games like Soul Calibur,
VF, Guilty Gear, and doujin games. Many players use this notation for this game, so if you don't know it, you probably should or else your going to have headaches reading combos.

Each direction you can move the stick to is represented by a number. Refer to below:
7 8 9       UpBack     Up      UpForward
4 5 6  -->  Back     Neutral     Forward
1 2 3       DownBack  Down   DownForward
*Thanks G.Blood for the diagram.

And so to write combos, you just put the numbers in the order of what direction you'd hit first to last, and then button(s) if needed afterwards. So to show a hadouken (QCF+P) in this notation, it would be 236P. An uppercut would be 623P, Kikouken would be 41236P, etc.

What's the tier list?

Clickie. =)

Any good sites for info about the game?

Dustloop HnK forum - Contains the most detailed and comprehensive info about the game.
Guardcrush.net - Has moved past HnK, but gets recognization for providing mostly combos and complete movelists.
The old SRK threads: 1st thread, 2nd thread. This thread, obviously of course.
SRK Wiki - Needs a lot of work.

Any good sites for videos?

Youtube:

Tianyuan's page
Deadly Magneto's page
Nonoho's page
Hydra632's page
Pharaon92i'spage
mamuuuut's page
DEPTONESULLLL's page

Matchmaking questions

Do people play in my area?

Try contacting people in this thread or talking to the people in your area by visiting your local thread in the matchmaking forum.

Any tournaments for this game?

Nothing mentioned, at least in North America. If such a thing is going to happen, your most likely going to have to run it for yourself.

HnK @ EVO 07'?

If you want something organized, start talking about it! Your best bet it is to talk to Hydra since he made HnK happen at EVO 06', and has expressed interest about playing the game at the next EVO.

FAQ special thanks to:

Nonoho
Gwyrgyn Blood
Tianyuan
Hydra643
Kyoji
cygnus
Deadly Magneto

*Note: This page is in the process of editing, so things are subject to change.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQA-KTzaPA
Jazzy NYC '99!
Team Wack

Comments

• Demon DashDemon Dash Hyper Viper Raccoon! Joined: Posts: 5,880
    So my copy just arived a couple of hours ago! The game's seriously awesome, much more than I expected. I was getting bored of waiting to be honest, but now I'm playing it it's really starting to grow on me.

So I've got the first part of Rei's B&B down, but how do I continue?

c.lk, c.lk, c.hk (sjc/iad) j.hp, s.hp, dp + lp x hcf + hp ?????
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
  • Shotokan SymphonyShotokan Symphony FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX Joined: Posts: 1,703
    Having trouble re-spiking w/ Raoh after a blowback attack. Is it even possible, or am I just going to have to figure out something else?
    "Though diminished by jets and telephones, each day the world grows conceptually larger. As a focal point, this big world demands a big house, with big people to fill it. When politicians and movie stars prove inadequate, only gods remain." - MiracleMan #12
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,318
    I need a Toki beginner's guide.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    I vote for a wiki to be done if it already hasnt been done yet
    Mine just arrived......didn't know FedEx delivered THIS early. :tup:
    Mine just arrived......didn't know FedEx delivered THIS early. :tup:
    Woh, that's crazy, got mine today off Fedex aswell. I have to say I was also suprised, I ordered Kenichi with UPS and it never came this fast, I didn't even have to pay customs up front either.
    "I'm speculating that it was M.O.D.O.K. that tore my dog's ACL. That crazy maniac was flying his hoverchair DRUNK. DRUNK on POWER. And booze. But mostly on POWER!" - corrosivefrost :rofl:
    excuse me but is there a character better for a noob to play?

i just started playing this game on ps2 just now~
    excuse me but is there a character better for a noob to play?

i just started playing this game on ps2 just now~

I'd reccomend Shin. That's who I started using and already I love him...combos are pretty sick and his Nanto Gokutoken move is a good way to keep opponents off your ass.
  • BiolinkBiolink Shenmue 3 will come Joined: Posts: 4,318
    Souther seems easy enough to learn

Shin also seems easy to learn.
    Eleventh Satanic Rule of Earth
    XI:
    "When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."
    so what characters do you all play?!

how long have you guys been playing?!

:wgrin: :wgrin: :wgrin: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • HyperhalHyperhal Ooh take a picture of it Joined: Posts: 1,871
    Yeah, I started playing with Shin and I was pretty much getting the game down quick. Even for the three matches I played with him, he seemed really nice to play as.

I'll be getting a PS2 today, so hopefully I can pick this up along with it.
    The Mike Vick Training Camp
    http://casiocountry.blogspot.com/
    I started playing with Rei. I am loving him. The games is awesome but has any one else noticed that it seems a little slower than the ARC vids ? or do I just suck. LOL
    I started playing with Rei. I am loving him. The games is awesome but has any one else noticed that it seems a little slower than the ARC vids ? or do I just suck. LOL

i did hear someone say that the ps2 is different then the Arcade version
  • Gwyrgyn BloodGwyrgyn Blood Joined: Posts: 682
    The control layout in the OP is wrong. It looks like this:

ACE
    BD

Just like every other Atomiswave game.
    Having trouble re-spiking w/ Raoh after a blowback attack. Is it even possible, or am I just going to have to figure out something else?

You have to use the air version. Common setup is something like ... CD 6, C 2C > IAD j.B 214D

Do note that if you spike in the corner you get pushed back really fast. There are tricks around that but that's getting into advanced stuff.
    So I've got the first part of Rei's B&B down, but how do I continue?

c.lk, c.lk, c.hk (sjc/iad) j.hp, s.hp, dp + lp x hcf + hp ?????

You can jump cancel his HCF+HP attack, so you use the old 'Normal Jump Cancel' trick from GG to basically do stuff instantly off it. Basic combo looks like:

... C 623A 41236C 9~C |> C 623A 41236C 9~C |> 2C 236236A

That is to say, you hit 9 and C at roughly the same time and he falls into a j.C as opposed to jumping UP and doing a C.

That would be pretty strange seeing as GG runs faster on PS2 than it does on Atomis. It's been confirmed that there is less graphical lag on the PS2 version from boosting and such.
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,057 mod
    Dan, can you tell me how to do Mamiya's infinite on Rei after her yoyo super? Or what to do after I happen to nail that super (on other characters) anyway?

:D
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 55,372 mod
    I'm thinking Kenshiro and Jagi. Kenshiro pretty basic or does he take a while to learn?

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

Ken's more basic, but Jagi's unothodox enough to net you some victories. Winning with Ken will be difficult if you don't know of his HCF+HK loop.
    "Though diminished by jets and telephones, each day the world grows conceptually larger. As a focal point, this big world demands a big house, with big people to fill it. When politicians and movie stars prove inadequate, only gods remain." - MiracleMan #12
    Well I guess i will have to get use to it. but again that game is pretty d*mn awesome. Has anyone found any unlocks at all on it? Not that it matters at all.
    Kenshiro is way easier to pick up and just way better overall. Great DP and good mixups ... he doesn't have great pokes though, and his fireball is pretty sad.

Dan, can you tell me how to do Mamiya's infinite on Rei after her yoyo super? Or what to do after I happen to nail that super (on other characters) anyway?

:D

I actually have no idea what to do after that. I could probably figure it out if I had the game. :/
    Ken has mixups outsideof 6p? like wut?
  • tianyuantianyuan I will be back... Joined: Posts: 574
    Iad B...
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,057 mod
    I'll look into it some more then Dan, thanks anyway.

:3
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
    Iad B...

how so? where do you mix it up from? aren't the other air normals better by comparison, or does JB eat almost every ground attack?
    Tian it's actually something a little different ... I think you do IAD j.B j.A in order to get it all to connect properly ... but I might have those backwards (I was always bad with that). You can additionally mixup with it by using his dive punch after the j.A in the air (which is very good). Ken also has good frame traps with 2B, and has all of the tricky mixups with boosted 6B. His throw is also quite good because you get free combos off it.
    Best thing is actually dash throw. Kenshiro throw you in the corner you might as well as dead. You stand attack then you will lose to Kenshiro 2D > AC > 236D > loop. You crouch, Ken has like Dan said JB > JA > air 214A > ~ Not to mention Kenshiro has good answers against opp who attack too much:)
    I have a few questions... Firstly, how do you jump cancel Rei's 8236C to continue his B&B? Also, could someone go into a little detail on how to set up and maintain the bounce infinites?
    Just in case ppl doesn't know. No matter you play Shin or not , read the Shin faq I wrote!!!

Just in case ppl confused by too much info in my Shin faq, from dustloop:
    dobiqwolf wrote:
    yes hank you for the faq, but can u add an explanation for special moves like 236+A what the purpose of tht move??

Step by step
    Step one: click http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/928547/47402
    Step two: ctrl + F
    Step three: type "M2" for In depth move analysis of Special moves
    Step four: scroll down you will see
    "Nanto Ryuhashidan: 236+A (tap repeatedly) Stars: 0/1
    Big dizzy power(FAINT sign's color indicates how much your opponent is getting
    dizzy), no damage, unblockable fireballs. "
    I believe you mean 2D AC, D 236D ... I don't think it works without that f.D in there.

And yeah, Ken's DP is GREAT. Insanely fast startup, combo off it for massive hilarity.

Rei's air 236C is jump cancelable, you can use a 'Normal Jump Cancel' off it to make him fall instead of jump when you follow up. I'm not entirely sure if that's a real NJC or not but I'll find out once I get the game.
    Random question. Any PA players around here. Probably not but ill ask anyway
    Ah, good shit, dan and tian. Haven't seen a lot of mixup Kenshiros on YT sadly. I'll keep that in mind for practice tonight.
    I believe you mean 2D AC, D 236D ... I don't think it works without that f.D in there.

And yeah, Ken's DP is GREAT. Insanely fast startup, combo off it for massive hilarity.

Rei's air 236C is jump cancelable, you can use a 'Normal Jump Cancel' off it to make him fall instead of jump when you follow up. I'm not entirely sure if that's a real NJC or not but I'll find out once I get the game.
    I can't seem to find the timing...
    what? You can't even jump after air 236C?
  • LilmanLilman XBL: tootall984 Joined: Posts: 934
    Sry im a little late. Is that button setup correct? Looks awkward.
    DarkHokage: I got fired from work.
    ME: Why you get fired?
    DarkHokage: For being black.
    ME: So you were late?
    Eish & Conan: LOL
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,837
    Souther's a good start for beginers. He just takes damage like Akuma.
    Boobologist Ph.D
    what? You can't even jump after air 236C?
    I have managed to get him to drop a few times but I can't get him to jump GGXX style, it's been pretty random.
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,693
    heh history mode is cute
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    I have managed to get him to drop a few times but I can't get him to jump GGXX style, it's been pretty random.

You're doing it wrong, then. It has to be a forward jump imput so he can jump cancel out of the hcf+hk. If you can't do that, practice, I guess.
    After watching some matches with Kenshiro I think I'm gonna try to learn him again.

Air Fatal KO FTW!
    Boobologist Ph.D
    You're doing it wrong, then. It has to be a forward jump imput so he can jump cancel out of the hcb+hk. If you can't do that, practice, I guess.
    Ahh, so it's not qcf + hp in his B&B, but qcb + hk?

In the Atomiswave version, was there any differences between the left and right corner? Because I'm experiencing some here. With Rei against Thouther doing c.lk, c.hk jc/iad hp in the right corner keeps Rei facing that direction. However, in the left corner there's some pretty random cross ups going on. I haven't tried it with anyone else yet because I'm still practicing his B&B, but I will do shortly.

Also, has Raoh always that wierd hit box?
    hcf+hp
    my bad
    but you have to press uf
    You should just be able to jump cancel it as normal.

The trick to the combo is to hit 9 and C at the same time ... it causes Rei to jump cancel but then cancel the jump startup into the C, so he doesn't actually go 'up' with his jump, you just get a C and fall.

You do the same thing with his wall bounce loops except you cancel into 236C again and again... it looks something like:

c.D CD 6, C 2C > IAD j.D 236C (2369C)*100 etc etc
    Souther's a good start for beginers. He just takes damage like Akuma.

probably cuz in the anime he has a nice lil speech about his style not having a defence stance and is all offence blah blah.
    ^ He has easy combos and a great damage output, but you have to be on offense like ALL the time. He has jack shit for defense outside of a CD counter.

2 questions:

1. How do I parry/dodge stuff after doing Ken/Raoh's Musou-Tensei? I know it's > but is it like parrying in SF3?

2. What are the motions for Heart's counter and his sucking move? I swear they are the same sometimes.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • MiyagiShin XMiyagiShin X Going Hard at UMVC3 Joined: Posts: 1,002
    Ken's more basic, but Jagi's unothodox enough to net you some victories. Winning with Ken will be difficult if you don't know of his HCF+HK loop.

Anymore setups or possibly a video of this...?

Im using toki right now, becuase thats who i played when i used eddies Hokuto no ken machine. ITs nice to own the machine.

Im trying to make Touser one of my mains too. So if someone knows good loops or easy stuff to start off with.
    Challenge me on PSN MiyagiShin:nunchuck:
    1. How do I parry/dodge stuff after doing Ken/Raoh's Musou-Tensei? I know it's > but is it like parrying in SF3?

2. What are the motions for Heart's counter and his sucking move? I swear they are the same sometimes.

1) pretty much: > for highs/mids, v for lows.

2) counter = quarter circle and can only be done with P. suck in = halfcircle, and can be done with either punch button
    You should just be able to jump cancel it as normal.

The trick to the combo is to hit 9 and C at the same time ... it causes Rei to jump cancel but then cancel the jump startup into the C, so he doesn't actually go 'up' with his jump, you just get a C and fall.

You do the same thing with his wall bounce loops except you cancel into 236C again and again... it looks something like:

c.D CD 6, C 2C > IAD j.D 236C (2369C)*100 etc etc
    At what point do you hit u/f though? Is it early, or late?
    Im trying to make Touser one of my mains too. So if someone knows good loops or easy stuff to start off with.

Bnb Souther/Thouter BS:

Cr.BX2, AC, Air B QCB+A B
    QCF+A, B, C, D <---Mix that one up as you see fit you can always tack on his air super in an air combo for added damage
    Jump in QCB+A, Launch, B, C QCB+A, B or CD to take a star off.
    Boobologist Ph.D
    We have to discuss the changes that they did to the PS2 version from the Arcade, many of us who played it in the Arcade where able to spot some changes!

One change is that they made Juda's 623+A faster and reach longer in the PS2 version!

What else?
    At what point do you hit u/f though? Is it early, or late?

I'm not really sure, haven't done it in a while. I think it's maybe a bit later than expected. I don't think it's really that hard at all.

Edit: For some real Souther B&B:

2B 2B AC > (late) jc.C 214A |> AC > j.B 214A

2B 2B 236A 236B(2) 6CDE 6, AC 2147A, 66 AC 2147A

AB 6CDE 6, 2C 2C 236A, 66 C 623A, 66 C 623A, 66 C 623A, 66 AC 2147A

Now for some dumb bullshit:

2B 2B AC > j.C 214A6E |> C 623A, A C 6CDE 6E A C 236CD
  • Random123456789Random123456789 Finally logged in! Joined: Posts: 551
    For anyone who is looking for Shin info. go to gamefaqs.com, someone made a 66 page FAQ on him alone. I didn't look through it all, because I don't have the game yet.:sweat: It's shipping as I type this. Anyway, it's on gamefaqs.com
    What is there not to know??

Wonderful statement from Keits:
    "Children are not an opportunity to me. They are a 20+ year prison sentence."